Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why is Ballard not improving his Secondary?

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I have a problem with this conclusion. I'd understand shying away from more aggressive and demanding coverages, Cover 0, Cover 1. Even Cover 6, which can be complicated (but not really, IMO). But we ran 6% Cover 2. Our DBs don't know Cover 2 well enough to use it more than 6% of the time? 

All these percentages are based on this chart, by the way.

That is very valid, hell I would know cover 2 if I were randomly thrown out there (lord help us all if that were to ever happen). 

6%… sweet Jesus…

28 minutes ago, Superman said:

I wanted to come back to this, because you're right. The chart is eye-catching -- especially with the Colts over there on an island in the middle of the ocean like that -- but it's lacking important context and information, IMO. 

The vertical axis is pretty clear. They're using EPA (expected points added, a complicated but respected metric) per pass attempt, to judge the efficiency (or quality) of the pass defense. That's easy enough to get. The Colts rank dead center in EPA per pass attempt. We all knew the Colts were a statistically average pass defense last season. (What troubles many of us is that we played a soft schedule with bad QBs, and were still only average.)

But the horizontal axis is more questionable, to me. They're using an analysis to judge the predictability of each team's pass coverages -- is the defense more predictable, or is it more 'mixed up'? I don't know the analysis or its methodology, and have no way to judge whether it's legitimate or reliable. But that analysis concludes that the Colts have the most predictable pass coverages in the NFL, by far. Which is why they're on an island on this chart.

So while I'd like to understand the analysis better, it reaches the same conclusion I've suspected all along: the Colts pass coverages are incredibly predictable. I've mentioned several times that the Colts run Cover 3/4 more than 70% of the time, and with little disguise. I'm a little surprised to see the Colts as such an outlier (for example, the Colts ran Cover 3 57%, while the Panthers ran Cover 3 53%, but the Panthers are dead center for predictability, so I'd like to understand the methodology of this analysis). But I'm not surprised at the conclusion that the Colts defense is highly predictable. I've been saying this myself since last season.

Alright…. You know how much I love reading your posts.   But I clearly asked you to explain it to me like a 6 or 7 year, and I think you took liberties and explained it to me like I’m 8 or 9.   And I think you may be giving me WAY too much credit!  😉 

• Like 1

Typical  Chris Ballard fashion, wait and neglect an obvious weakness in the roster until they get exposed during regular season games before making a move. He's stubborn and thick-headed, you think he would've learned the first seven years he was Colts GM.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dark Superman said:

Typical  Chris Ballard fashion, wait and neglect an obvious weakness in the roster until they get exposed during regular season games before making a move. He's stubborn and thick-headed, you think he would've learned the first seven years he was Colts GM.

I’ll never forget going into the 2022 season as it became clear that Ballard/Reich’s plan at the all-important LT spot was Matt Pryor….a guy who was an average backup RG…

…for an immobile 37YO QB.

The results should’ve come as a surprise to nobody.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I’ll never forget going into the 2022 season as it became clear that Ballard/Reich’s plan at the all-important LT spot was Matt Pryor….a guy who was an average backup RG…

I remember it as well. There are plenty of times where the forum vastly overreacts to the preseason. That said, there are a lot of people on here who understand football and the signs were definitely there heading into 2022. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I remember it as well. There are plenty of times where the forum vastly overreacts to the preseason. That said, there are a lot of people on here who understand football and the signs were definitely there heading into 2022. 

Is that the year they drafted and developed one of the better left tackles in the league? That year?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

I wasn't a huge fan of the Matt Pryor experiment, but in a small sample in 2021, he held up reasonably well. He completely fell apart in 2022, though; the guy who showed up that season was unrecognizable. So while I didn't think the plan was that good, the disastrous results were kind of an anomaly. 

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I wasn't a huge fan of the Matt Pryor experiment, but in a small sample in 2021, he held up reasonably well. He completely fell apart in 2022, though; the guy who showed up that season was unrecognizable. So while I didn't think the plan was that good, the disastrous results were kind of an anomaly. 

Yeah, I mean heading into the season of that year I thought he'd be okay. I was sold after the Christmas win against AZ the year before, and thought there was possibly something there. Oh well. Stuff happens. 

2 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

Right? He just handed Matt Pryor the starting LT spot without being in legit competition. He based his decision on watching Pryor play in a few games the previous season where he played multiple spots. Even the casual fan knew better than to have Matt Pryor penciled in as a starter, especially at LT. He's a certified backup on a good day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Superman said:

I wanted to come back to this, because you're right. The chart is eye-catching -- especially with the Colts over there on an island in the middle of the ocean like that -- but it's lacking important context and information, IMO. 

The vertical axis is pretty clear. They're using EPA (expected points added, a complicated but respected metric) per pass attempt, to judge the efficiency (or quality) of the pass defense. That's easy enough to get. The Colts rank dead center in EPA per pass attempt. We all knew the Colts were a statistically average pass defense last season. (What troubles many of us is that we played a soft schedule with bad QBs, and were still only average.)

But the horizontal axis is more questionable, to me. They're using an analysis to judge the predictability of each team's pass coverages -- is the defense more predictable, or is it more 'mixed up'? I don't know the analysis or its methodology, and have no way to judge whether it's legitimate or reliable. But that analysis concludes that the Colts have the most predictable pass coverages in the NFL, by far. Which is why they're on an island on this chart.

So while I'd like to understand the analysis better, it reaches the same conclusion I've suspected all along: the Colts pass coverages are incredibly predictable. I've mentioned several times that the Colts run Cover 3/4 more than 70% of the time, and with little disguise. I'm a little surprised to see the Colts as such an outlier (for example, the Colts ran Cover 3 57%, while the Panthers ran Cover 3 53%, but the Panthers are dead center for predictability, so I'd like to understand the methodology of this analysis). But I'm not surprised at the conclusion that the Colts defense is highly predictable. I've been saying this myself since last season.

Catching up on this thread, so might have missed it, but wonder if that QB schedule didn’t have some impact on predictability. When they are facing Mac Jones, Phillip Walker, rookie Bryce Young or Mitch Trubisky…maybe they felt they could get away with it and just force those QBs to make mistakes. 

I mean…it’s still a hallmark of Bradley’s defense, but maybe it was SO extreme due to circumstances as well. 

2 hours ago, Dark Superman said:

Right? He just handed Matt Pryor the starting LT spot without being in legit competition. He based his decision on watching Pryor play in a few games the previous season where he played multiple spots. Even the casual fan knew better than to have Matt Pryor penciled in as a starter, especially at LT. He's a certified backup on a good day.

Pinter was also given the starting RG position, which he had never played. It was a strange approach to a season when they had just acquired a statue of a QB. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Superman said:

I would have more sympathy for this take if it was always true that OLs are versatile and interchangeable.  Some of them are, I’m sure.  But Matt Pryor is not one of them.

Lots and lots of people (here and elsewhere) knew this and said as much before the results became disastrous.  But the only two people whose opinions mattered seemed to think differently.

So I don’t agree that it was an anomaly.  It was predictable and anticipated by many.  And I’m afraid we’re about to see something similar with a different position group.

And I say this as somebody who generally loves Chris Ballard.  But he really needs to stop being his own worst enemy.  Sometimes other people are right and the best leaders know when to defer to people they trust, but who disagree with them.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I would have more sympathy for this take if it was always true that OLs are versatile and interchangeable.  Some of them are, I’m sure.  But Matt Pryor is not one of them.

Lots and lots of people (here and elsewhere) knew this and said as much before the results became disastrous.  But the only two people whose opinions mattered seemed to think differently.

So I don’t agree that it was an anomaly.  It was predictable and anticipated by many.  And I’m afraid we’re about to see something similar with a different position group.

And I say this as somebody who generally loves Chris Ballard.  But he really needs to stop being his own worst enemy.  Sometimes other people are right and the best leaders know when to defer to people they trust, but who disagree with them.

I don’t know if you’re a PFF guy, but while Pryor really fell apart badly in the Matt Ryan year of 2022, Pryor actually had a very good year in the Wentz year of 2021.   Graded out in the upper 60’s and low/mid 70’s while playing three different positions.  He played both tackle spots and RG. 

There’s no denying just how terrible Pryor was in 2022.   But he was quite decent in 2021.  He was an important asset.  His position versatility was important.  And his contract coming off that good year was only 1/5.    It sucked Pryor was so terrible in 22,  but it wasn’t easy to see that happening coming off a good season as he did. 

3 hours ago, Dark Superman said:

As I recall, they knew early on that they were moving on from Eric Fisher after the 21 season.  And they knew that Fisher was a bridge guy after having passed on Darrisaw, etal in the 21 draft to get Kwity Paye.

So it wasn’t like the hole at the position just arrived out of nowhere.  Ballard had been negligent in addressing it for a while - to the point where sticking Pryor (or another bad option like Davenport, O’Donnell or Murray) there became about the only available options.

It was so mismanaged that I remember thinking it could easily have been defended as a cause for termination…considering how badly it went and how predictable that was.

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t know if you’re a PFF guy, but while Pryor really fell apart badly in the Matt Ryan year of 2022, Pryor actually had a very good year in the Wentz year of 2021.   Graded out in the upper 60’s and low/mid 70’s while playing three different positions.  He played both tackle spots and RG. 

There’s no denying just how terrible Pryor was in 2022.   But he was quite decent in 2021.  He was an important asset.  His position versatility was important.  And his contract coming off that good year was only 1/5.    It sucked Pryor was so terrible in 22,  but it wasn’t easy to see that happening coming off a good season as he did. 

Pryor played 165 snaps at LT the 2021-2 season.  And most of them came during the late season meltdown.

I don’t know how PFF rated him for those reps.  But in no way should making him the full-time starter the following season have been Ballard’s plan A.  There’s just no defending how that was handled.

And, again, I totally reject the whole “it wasn’t easy to see” argument.  Many posters here (including yours truly) were screaming about it heading into the season.  So were some of the beat writers and podcasters.

If it was so hard to see, why were so many seeing it and saying so?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Is that the year they drafted and developed one of the better left tackles in the league? That year?

Wait a second….are you saying that Ballard’s decision to draft Raimann in 2022 vindicates the way he handled the position after Castonzo’s retirement - which he had made known was coming after the 2019 season?

If that’s what you’re saying, I vehemently disagree.  And I have to wonder what Matt Ryan would say about that opinion.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Pryor played 165 snaps at LT the 2021-2 season.  And most of them came during the late season meltdown.

I don’t know how PFF rated him for those reps.  But in no way should making him the full-time starter the following season have been Ballard’s plan A.  There’s just no defending how that was handled.

And, again, I totally reject the whole “it wasn’t easy to see” argument.  Many posters here (including yours truly) were screaming about it heading into the season.  So were some of the beat writers and podcasters.

If it was so hard to see, why were so many seeing it and saying so?

You realize the decision on Pryor was not all Ballard.  He gets in put from Dodds and Brown and the HC and especially the OL coach.   The coach, Scott Schafer (?) was fired after the 22 season.  I’m sure that was part of it.    My point is these decisions are not just about Ballard.  There are other voices involved as well.  

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You realize the decision on Pryor was not all Ballard.  He gets in put from Dodds and Brown and the HC and especially the OL coach.   The coach, Scott Schafer (?) was fired after the 22 season.  I’m sure that was part of it.    My point is these decisions are not just about Ballard.  There are other voices involved as well.  

There might be other voices involved but responsibility for player personal decisions ultimately fall on the GM.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

There might be other voices involved but responsibility for player personal decisions ultimately fall on the GM.

Well, of course, I’ve never said otherwise.   But this poster is not the first poster to make this assertion this off-season that  it’s all about the GM.  And I’m only trying to say that while Ballard makes the final call he works with a whole staff of other people seeking their input.   And Ballard values that input.   I’m trying to point out these decisions are not as simple as some make them out to be. 

21 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Wait a second….are you saying that Ballard’s decision to draft Raimann in 2022 vindicates the way he handled the position after Castonzo’s retirement - which he had made known was coming after the 2019 season?

If that’s what you’re saying, I vehemently disagree.  And I have to wonder what Matt Ryan would say about that opinion.

Like you know that was Ballards decision...alone. Perhaps a meddling owner or even his "consultant" steered him in that direction. 

7 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

Gotta stop ya here, this is pretty hindsighted. He had a pretty phenomenal 2021, he graded out above average in his snaps. 76.5 total, 74.8 in run blocking and 75.2 in pass blocking which was actually better then Raimann did in his rookie year. Heck in his last game against the Raiders in 21 he started at left tackle and had a lights out game. 87.7 overall 90.5 run blocking and 73.6 in pass blocking. There was more than enough there to expect him to take another step up and be a solid Tackle. Clearly it failed but  given the same thought process we would have given up on Raimann already...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, luv_pony_express said:

I thought Pryor played reasonably well, specifically at LT, in 2021. Not well enough that I was comfortable with him being the starter in 2022, but he started the last two games at LT and he looked okay. I know the OL struggled overall, but it wasn't Pryor playing poorly.

I also don't think you're capturing the general sentiment among fans, especially on this board. Going into 2022, I think there was a general level of satisfaction with Pryor at LT. In fact, remember feeling like I was in the minority about him because I wasn't so excited, and thought we should at least have added some veteran competition. Also, Pryor lost a considerable amount of weight going into 2022, presumably to be a little quicker at LT. I wonder if his change in body composition cost him his power and balance...

Either way, he didn't just struggle at LT in 2022. He struggled at every position. And he hasn't played well since, not even getting back to his 2021 form as a solid swing backup. That's why I say it was an anomaly, because not only did he not step into his new role, he seems to have completely fallen apart.

I agree with your point that Ballard needs to be more aggressive in addressing weak spots on the roster. Double down on veteran competition, especially at OL/DL. I think he should have added a veteran safety this year. I just don't think the Pryor situation was entirely about a bad decision by the team. Partly, yes for sure, but Pryor suddenly couldn't play anymore, and that wasn't predictable, IMO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

OK, I don’t disagree.  And maybe the people he listens to were all in agreement about Pryor at LT.  And, if that’s the case, that’s even more concerning than Ballard pulling rank against any dissent.

But part of being the guy in charge is that you assume ownership of all decisions made - both the good ones and the bad ones like that one. 

3 hours ago, twfish said:

Gotta stop ya here, this is pretty hindsighted. He had a pretty phenomenal 2021, he graded out above average in his snaps. 76.5 total, 74.8 in run blocking and 75.2 in pass blocking which was actually better then Raimann did in his rookie year. Heck in his last game against the Raiders in 21 he started at left tackle and had a lights out game. 87.7 overall 90.5 run blocking and 73.6 in pass blocking. There was more than enough there to expect him to take another step up and be a solid Tackle. Clearly it failed but  given the same thought process we would have given up on Raimann already...

My entire point is that it isn’t hindsight.

There were a number of people here expressing various degrees of concern about starting Pryor at LT prior to that season.  I was one of them, and I wasn’t alone.  The posts have been cleaned out now, so we can’t go back to look at them.

And I also remember some of the beat guys expressing frustration about the position once we knew Fisher wouldn’t be returning.

19 Pages  Yikes

The decision is interesting to not bring in a DB

If I am Ballard and I lay a big egg this year, and win only 6 games, I know that there is a decent chance that I am let go 

Our HC isn't going anywhere with only 6 wins

If the reason that we lose 11 games is because we cant stop the pass, if that happens, this is almost criminal negligence

Its sort of like being in a poker game and you have 3 Queens dealt     this is sort of like saying, NO, my three queens will win......,........ and you pass taking the extra cards

We had some cap space and the need..... why not take a swing at one of the FS? 

If it looks like rain I take a jacket.......

I TRULY, TRULY,  TRULY  hope that Ballard is right ............ and the three Queens win the hand.....

:)

Good  Day Fellow Colts Fans!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

My entire point is that it isn’t hindsight.

There were a number of people here expressing various degrees of concern about starting Pryor at LT prior to that season.  I was one of them, and I wasn’t alone.  The posts have been cleaned out now, so we can’t go back to look at them.

And I also remember some of the beat guys expressing frustration about the position once we knew Fisher wouldn’t be returning.

No posts are cleaned out, you just have to looking for them. Search doesn't display older results, so it takes some time.

People definitely had concerns about Pryor at LT, but I would say people are far more concerned about FS this year than they were about LT going into 2022. 

19 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

19 Pages  Yikes

The decision is interesting to not bring in a DB

If I am Ballard and I lay a big egg this year, and win only 6 games, I know that there is a decent chance that I am let go 

Our HC isn't going anywhere with only 6 wins

If the reason that we lose 11 games is because we cant stop the pass, if that happens, this is almost criminal negligence

Its sort of like being in a poker game and you have 3 Queens dealt     this is sort of like saying, NO, my three queens will win......,........ and you pass taking the extra cards

We had some cap space and the need..... why not take a swing at one of the FS? 

If it looks like rain I take a jacket.......

I TRULY, TRULY,  TRULY  hope that Ballard is right ............ and the three Queens win the hand.....

:)

Good  Day Fellow Colts Fans!

If we lose 11 games, I’m confident it won’t squarely be due to pass coverage issues… I mean, we can surely look at the big picture of each loss we experience this year and determine why we lost the games, beyond the pass coverage not being good enough, right? Of course this is the narrative that is set in this forum now… so every loss is going to automatically be pointed to the secondary, which again- there will be plenty of other aspects to scrutinize and blame. Criminal negligence… cmon Mike. 

1 hour ago, luv_pony_express said:

OK, I don’t disagree.  And maybe the people he listens to were all in agreement about Pryor at LT.  And, if that’s the case, that’s even more concerning than Ballard pulling rank against any dissent.

But part of being the guy in charge is that you assume ownership of all decisions made - both the good ones and the bad ones like that one. 

Who thinks Ballard hasn’t owned the bad decisions?   I think he’s a pretty stand up guy.  Those here who don’t like Ballard love to point to his moments where he has admitted his plan didn’t work.   They take great delight in his failures.   So I think he has owned his mistakes.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Who thinks Ballard hasn’t owned the bad decisions?   I think he’s a pretty stand up guy.  Those here who don’t like Ballard love to point to his moments where he has admitted his plan didn’t work.   They take great delight in his failures.   So I think he has owned his mistakes.  

I agree, I think I am not long for here. The self projection on here is disgusting. Be well, as I appreciate your levity in a cesspool of disparagement...

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, TheNewGuy said:

I agree, I think I am not long for here. The self projection on here is disgusting. Be well, as I appreciate your levity in a cesspool of disparagement...

Hang in there. The troops are simply starving for the season to begin. Then we’ll see if the concern over the secondary is warranted or not. As for me, I’m praying for no injuries to the safety corps, and a fun, exciting year!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’ve always thought Strausser had a hand in that decision.   Pryor was very good the year before and just about every person on this board wanted him back as a swing tackle not a starting LT though.  

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

I’ve always thought Strausser had a hand in that decision.   Pryor was very good the year before and just about every person on this board wanted him back as a swing tackle not a starting LT though.  

Strausser, thanks for that correction, Hawk!

My general rule of thumb is that a coach is the right person for the job right up until the moment you’re not.  

The 2022 season was insane for the Colts OL.  I’ll always remember the Thursday night game in Denver the Colts won a FG game, 12-9.   That week the Colts like changed THREE starters in the shortest week possible!   Who does that unless you’ve got a line in crisis?  I’ve never seen that in nearly 60 years of following football. 

To be fair, when Strausser got fired, he was hired within a week by Houston and has done a nice job with their line.  So Strausser wasn’t a bad coach, he just became the wrong coach.  It’s an important difference.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

He has owned up to his mistakes, but seems to repeat them sometimes rather than learn from them. He has clear strengths as a GM, but also perhaps some weaknesses he should improve upon.

You may be a new Colts fan, but some of us have been watching every game since the lousy Art Schlichter/Mike Pagel days and well beyond. Who are you to say others delight in Ballard's mistakes or our team's shortcomings?

1 hour ago, BeanDiasucci said:

He has owned up to his mistakes, but seems to repeat them sometimes rather than learn from them. He has clear strengths as a GM, but also perhaps some weaknesses he should improve upon.

You may be a new Colts fan, but some of us have been watching every game since the lousy Art Schlichter/Mike Pagel days and well beyond. Who are you to say others delight in Ballard's mistakes or our team's shortcomings?

BD….   Look at my profile.  I’ve been here since mid-May of 2012.    I’m a Stanford fan and arrived here with Andrew Luck.   I’ve got about 40,000 posts, I think that’s roughly top-5/10 in the community.  

My name is just a name.  I’m not new at all.  

Hope this clarifies….

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Hoose said:

Hang in there. The troops are simply starving for the season to begin. Then we’ll see if the concern over the secondary is warranted or not. As for me, I’m praying for no injuries to the safety corps, and a fun, exciting year!

Thanks, but I requested that my account be deleted. When something that is joyful becomes burdensome, it is time to leave it behind. Be well.