Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have the 15th pick in the draft. (MERGE)

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He just signed Lewis. Signed Grover to a big contract. Then paid Davis good money. I feel 100% he isn’t taking a DT. Now if for some reason Turner falls an edge maybe. But I doubt that is happening. There will be elite offensive weapons and probably some highly rated CB there. 

I don't think we are taking a DT but not because we signed Lewis or Grover or Davis. If there is a reason to not take one of the top DTs in the draft IMO that reason is that they don't exactly fit what Ballard likes in his linemen(length).

BTW I would REALLY hope Ballard is not making decisions about the very top of the roster(top 15 picks) based on backups he's signed in FA.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

We are talking about this year. You can’t keep that many without cutting someone or another position is going to have no depth. Wasting a puck at 15 on a DT does not improve thr team this year.

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He just signed Lewis. Signed Grover to a big contract. Then paid Davis good money. I feel 100% he isn’t taking a DT. Now if for some reason Turner falls an edge maybe. But I doubt that is happening. There will be elite offensive weapons and probably some highly rated CB there.  The moves Ballard made in the FA period don’t scream DT pick. 

It has been explained multiple times in this thread and others that:

1) The draft is not about THIS YEAR.  It's about the next several years.  It's about continuing to build your core players for the long term

2) It would not be a "waste" to pick a DT at 15.  He could very well wind up being Buckner's replacement.  

3) The only way a CB is selected in round 1 is if Gus is going to start employing more man coverage.  If they're going to stick with being a mostly zone team, then I doubt we ever see a CB selected in the first round.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jason_ said:

1) The draft is not about THIS YEAR.  It's about the next several years.  It's about continuing to build your core players for the long term

2) It would not be a "waste" to pick a DT at 15.  He could very well wind up being Buckner's replacement.  

3) The only way a CB is selected in round 1 is if Gus is going to start employing more man coverage.  If they're going to stick with being a mostly zone team, then I doubt we ever see a CB selected in the first round.

I agree on the factors. If he is the best player on your board, then those factors were considered during the setting of the board... I keep seeing cornerback being the ideal pick, and it's just not likely, imo, based on Ballard's roster building. Perhaps targeting Sneed showed his hand a little. Perhaps it is more likely it was smoke and mirrors to get team's thinking that was who we would target in the draft. Who knows. I think it's more likely that we take an edge rusher at 15 than cornerback, and Ballard's comments/action back that idea. He repeatedly says he believes you can never have enough d-lineman. With Paye and Dayo in contract years, it would make a lot of sense. One of them is likely leaving... Keeping d-lineman rolling in the pipeline is likely in some fashion. Cornerback is more likely day 2, imo. I would rather see a receiver drafted than a cornerback. The same arguments for pass rusher can be made for receiver. You can never add enough talent to that room. Doing so gives you options (explosiveness that Ballard talks about) for your rookie contract qb. If Pierce doesnt work out, it's going to be a serious need in the forseeable future regardless. Day 2 could work as well. 

Some will say regarding Ballard's comments that he talked about limiting explosive plays on defense. He also talked about liking the young corners he has and has mentioned looking to add to the secondary. That will happen, probably through both the draft and a veteran in remaining free agency. The argument can be made that in this defense, increasing the pressure with your front 4 can limit explosiveness. I think they continue targeting pass rushers. An organization that is so data centric knows that pass rushers are more likely to develop from early draft picks than other positions. We can find secondary help day 2 and on. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

Do you think we can find a linebacker to draft, similar to this guy,?

curtissmall.png.b3e431266043d0a2bf5f54f1fb8bf829.png

Sadly, he would be ejected in every game he played.   As would all the linebackers from that era

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

We need better pass rush. That can come from the interior as well. 

In fact, most QBs agree that interior pressure is the type of pressure they hate the most.  If we did take a DT at 15 (which would likely be Byron Murphy), it would only be someone that Ballard feels can take Buckner's place in the future.  

Plus, imagine a year or possibly more (depending on a Buckner extension) having Murphy and Buckner in the middle together?  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jason_ said:

In fact, most QBs agree that interior pressure is the type of pressure they hate the most.  If we did take a DT at 15 (which would likely be Byron Murphy), it would only be someone that Ballard feels can take Buckner's place in the future.  

Plus, imagine a year or possibly more (depending on a Buckner extension) having Murphy and Buckner in the middle together?  

Yep, my thinking as well. If we took a guy like Murphy (or Newton) and they worked out, it could be MASSIVE for our interior pass rush. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Yep, my thinking as well. If we took a guy like Murphy (or Newton) and they worked out, it could be MASSIVE for our interior pass rush. 

which would then help the DEs tremendously, which would also help the secondary.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jason_ said:

No, it would be a wasted pick .  Some insider said so

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

Won’t do crap if we have a bad secondary. That secondary needs fixed.

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

We need better pass rush. That can come from the interior as well. 

Then fix the secondary. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DattMavis said:

I agree. Watch his film. He keeps up with everyone he covers. He could be an elite safety or corner. He's the best run stopping DB in the draft also.

What's his best game? Or games?

Just now, Superman said:

LOL, that article is the antithesis of my preferred draft philosophy.

I was trying to find the who the heck is Mel Kiper GIF, no luck on the forum options.

His reasoning is good.

Because you can get elite CB in round 1 and still get a really good explosive WR.

Where as you can get an Elite WR, but the CB drop off is bigger.

I'm not sure what we are going to do. Usually I have a pretty good idea, last year I projected like 3-4 of our picks.(was on hiatus from forum).

I don't think CB is a big need, but the room can improve a lot by bringing in maybe the top CB on draft?

I don't think WR is a big need either, but I like adding a 4th option in case of injuries or whatever else. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Perhaps targeting Sneed showed his hand a little. Perhaps it is more likely it was smoke and mirrors to get team's thinking that was who we would target in the draft. Who knows.

Maybe there's some gamesmanship with the second part, but I doubt it. I don't think there's a lot to be learned from the Colts checking in on Sneed. I think their interest was highly exaggerated, and at the end of the day, they simply ran a price check on a potential free agent, and then moved on. That probably happens a lot, and never gets reported.

If anything, I think the lack of a move at corner signals that the Colts are comfortable with their DB room as it is. Ballard said they need to add, so I think we can count on a veteran DB at some point. But he also talked up the guys they have, and that seemed genuine to me. I don't think the team sees corner as a pressing need right now. I might disagree with their assessment, but that doesn't really change anything.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, w87r said:

I was trying to find the who the heck is Mel Kiper GIF, no luck on the forum options.

Best I could do:

e1f4b773e028f0e1.png

His reasoning is good.

Because you can get elite CB in round 1 and still get a really good explosive WR.

Where as you can get an Elite WR, but the CB drop off is bigger.

I get that part of his reasoning. What's lacking, IMO, is the understanding of how the Colts apparently see the corner position, both their value, and how they rate the room as it is. 

He also apparently just picked the two positions he sees as the Colts biggest needs, and then forced one of them to the Colts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Best I could do:

e1f4b773e028f0e1.png

I get that part of his reasoning. What's lacking, IMO, is the understanding of how the Colts apparently see the corner position, both their value, and how they rate the room as it is. 

He also apparently just picked the two positions he sees as the Colts biggest needs, and then forced one of them to the Colts.

Yeah 1st part makes sense, but maybe a move like that will help Gus be a little more unpredictable. One could hope... Doubt it, pretty stuck in his ways.

I don't think we have any, real big needs at the moment. Outside of a veteran Safety. I like where the roster is sitting (minus a couple moves I expect to happen sooner than later), I know quite a few don't agree, but that's where I'm at.

Just need to add some more pieces to complete some rooms.

To be fair, even a lot of Colts fans are saying those are our biggest needs. I'm just looking to make the rooms 4-5 deep, wherever it happens. (Pitt, Pierce, Downs, rookie, Dulin)(Brents, Flowers, Moore, Jones, rookie)

BPA and let's roll.

Really though, how many different positions are in play at #15? No particular order.

WR

CB

DE

DT

TE

I can't see anything else, unless Ballard has an option of one of the top 3 Tackles. I don't see it, but the only other possibility in my mind. Well, plus trading down.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, w87r said:

Really though, how many different positions are in play at #15? No particular order.

WR

CB

DE

DT

TE

These would be my picks at 15. But should Ballard decide to trade down from 15, especially if into the mid to high 20s, could a LB be in play? A long armed LB who can hit and cover is a genuine need. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, w87r said:

I don't think we have any, real big needs at the moment. Outside of a veteran Safety. I like where the roster is sitting (minis a couple moves I expect to happen sooner than later), I know quite a few don't agree, but that's where I'm at.

Still pending the draft, but I think the roster mostly makes sense. I can imagine what it will look like Week 1. 

I think the need is for high level talent at multiple positions, upgrading more than filling roster spots. And in that regard, you can almost throw a dart blindfolded and hit a position of need, especially on defense. So I don't get why people are so focused on one or two positions, but that's how it goes this time of year.

To be far, even a lot of Colts fans are saying those are our biggest needs.

True, but I'm openly disagreeing with them.

WR

CB

DE

DT

TE

I can't see anything else, unless Ballard has an option of one of the top 3 Tackles. I don't see it, but the only other possibility in my mind. Well, plus trading down.

Yup, that's how I see it. Right now, if I had to guess the order of likelihood, I'd say DL, TE, WR, CB. And the main reason I have TE ahead of WR is because it seems like Bowers might be there (which is different from what I thought a month ago). 

And yet, some people think that's crazy because the Colts MUST pick a cornerback at #15, despite everything we know about Ballard's draft strategy and positional value beliefs + Bradley's defensive priorities. But again, that's how it goes.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Hoose said:

These would be my picks at 15. But should Ballard decide to trade down from 15, especially if into the mid to high 20s, could a LB be in play? A long armed LB who can hit and cover is a genuine need. 

I'm hoping there some way we can find us with a Cooper or Wilson.

Not likely unless we traded back though. Definitely not at #15.

I've seen both Cooper and Wilson in random drafts coming in at bottom of 1st round. Early

2nd in others.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah, I know, I'm just saying Kiper coming up with WR and CB isn't some crazy off the wall proposition.

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yup, that's how I see it. Right now, if I had to guess the order of likelihood, I'd say DL, TE, WR, CB. And the main reason I have TE ahead of WR is because it seems like Bowers might be there (which is different from what I thought a month ago). 

Yeah Bowers is clearly only option at TE there. Still not so sure he will be there, but it's possible.

Hey Kiper did say in that article of Bowers is there you have to take him. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yeah 1st part makes sense, but maybe a move like that will help Gus be a little more unpredictable. One could hope... Doubt it, pretty stuck in his ways.

I don't think we have any, real big needs at the moment. Outside of a veteran Safety. I like where the roster is sitting (minis a couple moves I expect to happen sooner than later), I know quite a few don't agree, but that's where I'm at.

To be fair, even a lot of Colts fans are saying those are our biggest needs. I'm just looking to make the rooms 4-5 deep, wherever it happens. (Pitt, Pierce, Downs, rookie, Dulin)(Brents, Flowers, Moore, Jones, rookie)

BPA and let's roll.

WR

CB

DE

DT

TE

I agree with you. Get the safety room fixed and there really isn’t any huge holes. What they can use is more high end talent. My guess is Ballard has bowers up there at 15 if he is there. But they don’t need to take a TE anywhere in the draft unless he is still there at 15.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Superman said:

Still pending the draft, but I think the roster mostly makes sense. I can imagine what it will look like Week 1. 

I think the need is for high level talent at multiple positions, upgrading more than filling roster spots. And in that regard, you can almost throw a dart blindfolded and hit a position of need, especially on defense. So I don't get why people are so focused on one or two positions, but that's how it goes this time of year.

And yet, some people think that's crazy because the Colts MUST pick a cornerback at #15, despite everything we know about Ballard's draft strategy and positional value beliefs + Bradley's defensive priorities. But again, that's how it goes.

It possible Bowers may slip some in the first round simply because of the lack of in person on-field validation by team scouts.He did not test at the combine and skipped the Georgia Pro Day with a Hamstring issue. Will not work now until 2 weeks before the draft. So.. hoping he is there at 15.

34 minutes ago, Hoose said:

It’s only a genuine need if Ballard subscribes to the importance of a play making impact WILL to replace Leonard.   

But if CB has changed his view on the value of a great WILL and like many 4-3 teams only wants to use a Day 3 pick on a linebacker — ANY linebacker — then replacing Shaq with a premium pick would no longer be necessary.  We’ll know on Friday April 26th the second day of the draft. 

• Like 1

I had not considered this before today, but I listened to an episode of The Draft Show(this is Dallas Cowboys show about the draft) and they are not expecting this to happen or something but they did mention potential possibility of trading Micah Parsons(their reasoning was - their team is becoming harder and harder to maintain and they have started losing a lot of players to FA without obvious replacements... they need picks and they need to refresh their roster with cheap high level talent). 

We have discussed the possibility of trading for a top tier receiver, but we are talking about Ballard here... is really a receiver more likely position to trade for? Or is a DE? Especially since we know he tried to go for Danielle Hunter at top of the market money? If Dallas decided they cannot afford Parsons going into what would be the record-setting DE contract of the league... would you be willing to 1. give him that record setting DE contract to Parsons? and 2. give Dallas what it would take(very likely 2 1st round picks? 

• Like 1

The logical part of me would not be disappointed if Ballard trades out of first round - picks up some draft capital and lands decent talent on Day2.   Of course, on draft night, after investing a couple of hours in front of the TV, waiting anxiously for the 15th pick to be on the clock, the passionate part of me would be devastated if he did.   Truly a no-win situation for Ballard if he is focused on pleasing me.  

13 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Won’t do crap if we have a bad secondary. That secondary needs fixed.

Then fix the secondary. 

You are just choosing to ignore what multiple people have explained to you multiple times.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jason_ said:

The Colts played zone vs man about 71/29. Most teams played more zone than Gus. That with our secondary stinkaroo. Gus had to love Gilly. 

Gus also will call the defense as Steichen tells him what is in our best interest.

Q Mitchell singularly offers the best bang for the buck. If he is gone next is Brian Thomas. 

38 minutes ago, stitches said:

I had not considered this before today, but I listened to an episode of The Draft Show(this is Dallas Cowboys show about the draft) and they are not expecting this to happen or something but they did mention potential possibility of trading Micah Parsons(their reasoning was - their team is becoming harder and harder to maintain and they have started losing a lot of players to FA without obvious replacements... they need picks and they need to refresh their roster with cheap high level talent). 

We have discussed the possibility of trading for a top tier receiver, but we are talking about Ballard here... is really a receiver more likely position to trade for? Or is a DE? Especially since we know he tried to go for Danielle Hunter at top of the market money? If Dallas decided they cannot afford Parsons going into what would be the record-setting DE contract of the league... would you be willing to 1. give him that record setting DE contract to Parsons? and 2. give Dallas what it would take(very likely 2 1st round picks? 

I think Ballard would be more inclined to trade for a DE than a WR especially since he tried for Hunter.  Eagles just gave Reddick away and Burns went for a 2nd and a fifth.  He’s the same age as Burns.  So I’m not a sure 1st would be necessary.  He would do an extension like he did with Buckner.  I would bet Dallas would take our 15th like the 49’ers took our 13th for Buckner.  They aren’t feeling the same pressure though as SF.   On the other hand they want to sign Dak.  They might decide they can not afford both.  So I like your thinking.  Timing is everything.  Getting Parsons would be a difference making acquisition.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think Ballard would be more inclined to trade for a DE than a WR especially since he tried for Hunter.  Eagles just gave Reddick away and Burns went for a 2nd and a fifth.  He’s the same age as Burns.  So I’m not a sure 1st would be necessary.  He would do an extension like he did with Buckner.  I would bet Dallas would take our 15th like the 49’ers took our 13th for Buckner.  They aren’t feeling the same pressure though as SF.   On the other hand they want to sign Dak.  They might decide they can not afford both.  So I like your thinking.  Timing is everything.  Getting Parsons would be a difference making acquisition.

Yeah, I'm not certain about the compensation. It's really hard for me to gauge what different players are worth when you have to give them a top money contract in addition to the picks. The league is all over the place with those... Some get 2 firsts, others that I would have expected to get 2 1sts, get a 1st and some change... But yah, my point is Ballard should be on top of all those possibilities and probing for a potential opening to get one of those players while we have Richardson on his rookie contract.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah, I'm not certain about the compensation. It's really hard for me to gauge what different players are worth when you have to give them a top money contract in addition to the picks. The league is all over the place with those... Some get 2 firsts, others that I would have expected to get 2 1sts, get a 1st and some change... But yah, my point is Ballard should be on top of all those possibilities and probing for a potential opening to get one of those players while we have Richardson on his rookie contract.

I couldn’t agree more.  It’s really hard to guess on the compensation.  It appears to be all over the place.  The Buckner acquisition was pretty straightforward.  A Parsons acquisition seems similar to me.  I have to think Ballard is poking around on some of these players for the reason you mentioned.  His big contract Hunter pursuit really surprised me.  He’s hungry for a veteran ER.  No doubt.

6 hours ago, Jason_ said:

It’s only a waste if the Colts were going all in this year which they are clearly not.  Some fans need to learn that just because they want the Colts to do something doesn’t mean that’s what they are doing.  

With that said I don’t think they are going DT at 15.  I think they are going CB, WR, or end with an outside shot at Bowers if he’s there.

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

The Colts played zone vs man about 71/29. Most teams played more zone than Gus. That with our secondary stinkaroo. Gus had to love Gilly. 

Gus also will call the defense as Steichen tells him what is in our best interest.

Q Mitchell singularly offers the best bang for the buck. If he is gone next is Brian Thomas. 

Mitchell is arguably the best click-and-close zone cornerback in the class, with high-end athleticism and major competitiveness. He looked great playing in press coverage during drills at the Senior Bowl. One scout told us he had a case as the best player in Mobile this year, and he’s a picture-perfect fit in Gus Bradley’s heavy Cover-3 defense. From pff

5 hours ago, Superman said:

What's his best game? Or games?

He held his own against Marv Jr. and JSN when Iowa played Ohio State. He also had some great run stopping plays in that game.

Watch his pick-6 against Rutgers.

• Like 1