Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Might be in the minority here

Mr.Debonair

I am not sure what the vision is, to be honest, to get nickel CBs and rotational DL guys that are not defensive starters the rest of the way??? Or play free agency after the 2012 season to shore up our D???

Until I hear something about how they plan to get some defensive starters for the 3-4 fronts, the only vision I see is to provide Luck with weapons.

Of course you're in the minority! Just kidding, of course.

Hey, none of us know what the future holds, right! You are dead right to be excited about your team and also to stand behind them. Others, like myself, see some areas that we feel could've been better addressed, or picks that were perhaps taken out of priority, but we are excited about the team, too. I hope that these picks pan out perfectly. And even if they don't, "Go Colts!"

Keep up the positive thoughts, Mr.Debonair. It's something we could all use a heavy dose of.

I just feel like they believe they have the personnel on D to make a smooth transition to 3-4 and what Pagano is tryin to do. It was goin to take at least two drafts to improve out team. The decided to address the O first. There is still optionS available to improve the D.

I think that most of us knew going into the draft that we are in a rebuilding mode and that we can't fill all of our holes in one draft. We have drafted a successor to Peyton Manning. I see the FO is making a conscious effort to provide Luck with weapons. We're setting him up for success, offensively. Now defensively...

But I love what's been done so far in this draft. Grison and Pagano have a vision that I like

I like what they are doing too.

We needed to overhaul the offense and that has been the focus early and often clearly. We'll get to defense which was frankly deeper going into the draft than the offense. It's not like we are done picking we have five more picks I would expect them to be heavy on defense.

its only been 3 rounds calm down..I noticed that no matter who the colts picked besides Luck yall complain about it..drafts not even half way over and complaints..when the draft is over and you see the finished draft products and you dont like it then complain

As I said in another thread, Luck needs tools. If you're going to throw him to the wolves, you want to give him a shield and sword. Defensive players rarely have their careers ruined early because they don't have the tools around them. It's crucial to give Luck every chance to succeed early and kick start that offense. In my opinion, the cupboard was more bare on that side than the other.

Now I don't think you do it to the extent Polian did for Peyton, but when you invest in a once-in-a-generation QB at #1, you want to give him a chance to succeed. Maybe a thing or two will be needed next year, but this year is largely about Luck. Next year will be more of a normal draft. Considering he'll soon be one of the largest investments on the team, it's good to give him talent now and get the rest of the stuff tomorrow and next year.

We still have six picks left in this draft. We just took care of every need we have on offense, save for maybe a guard. But there's tons of value with the guards still on the board. I don't know how many will last to the 5th round, but they're still out there, and it might be feasible for us to move one of our three 7th rounders along with our 5th rounder to trade up for Adam Gettis or Lucas Nix. I like every single one of the players we've drafted so far, which isn't something I've ever said during any draft. Doesn't mean anything, either, but I'm not complaining.

As for the idea that we don't have the players to run the 3-4 part of our hybrid defense, I'd say two things: 1) Evidently, Grigson, Pagano and Manusky are more impressed with the guys we have (Freeney, Mathis, Hughes, McKinney, Redding, Nevis, Moala, etc.) after the mini-camp than some of us fans are; and 2) We're not changing to a 3-4 defense entirely, so this whole idea that we need to add a bunch of players to fit a new scheme is kind of overstated. There are still a ton of players who would fit into Pagano's defensive front on the board.

As I said in another thread, Luck needs tools. If you're going to throw him to the wolves, you want to give him a shield and sword. Defensive players rarely have their careers ruined early because they don't have the tools around them. It's crucial to give Luck every chance to succeed early and kick start that offense. In my opinion, the cupboard was more bare on that side than the other.

Now I don't think you do it to the extent Polian did for Peyton, but when you invest in a once-in-a-generation QB at #1, you want to give him a chance to succeed. Maybe a thing or two will be needed next year, but this year is largely about Luck. Next year will be more of a normal draft. Considering he'll soon be one of the largest investments on the team, it's good to give him talent now and get the rest of the stuff tomorrow and next year.

Exactly. What is the easiest way to take pressure off a QB without improving the line? Give him a speedy WR that makes the coverage back up. With Fleener and T.Y. on the field, Luck isn't going to feel much blitzing threat from the safeties or OLBs

Well I will say this, there are still a lot of talented defensive players available. I'd have liked to have gotten a CB already because it is getting slim pikens in that department, but we can still get some good players for the defensive front 7. I'd love to get a few of these guys with our remaining picks:

Josh Chapman

Alameda Ta'amu

Nicolas Jean-Baptiste

Billy Wynn

Marcus Forston (wasn't he considered 1st round at one time?)

Kheeston Randall

Jaye Howard

Nigel Bradham

Keenan Robinson

Malik Jackson

Ronnell Lewis

Travis Lewis (did he put on weight? I thought he was closer to the 220 lb range but he's listed as 246 lb)

Darius Fleming

Jerry Franklin

James Michael-Robinson

They've explained it already. Everyone agreed to the Def/Off board. When pick time comes, the def guys they wanted were gone so they took the offensive guys. It's easy to say BPA but Grigson is serious about it. You may not like it now, but I think you will in 2-3 years when we don't reach for guys and we have more talent than other teams.

Well I will say this, there are still a lot of talented defensive players available. I'd have liked to have gotten a CB already because it is getting slim pikens in that department, but we can still get some good players for the defensive front 7. I'd love to get a few of these guys with our remaining picks:

Josh Chapman

Alameda Ta'amu

Nicolas Jean-Baptiste

Billy Wynn

Marcus Forston (wasn't he considered 1st round at one time?)

Kheeston Randall

Jaye Howard

Nigel Bradham

Keenan Robinson

Malik Jackson

Ronnell Lewis

Travis Lewis (did he put on weight? I thought he was closer to the 220 lb range but he's listed as 246 lb)

Darius Fleming

Jerry Franklin

James Michael-Robinson

There are quality players available, sure, but we have no picks in the 4th. Many of these may be gone. Time will tell, however.

I absolutely love these picks!! And I am a big advocate of building the lines on both sides of the ball, running the ball better, and stopping the run. However, TE was a glaring weakness. These picks will have a domino affect. TY Hilton's speed will stretch the defense, which softens the middle for the TEs and also makes the running attack more effective.

This is a deep draft for OLineman,

I would love to get WR Marvin McNutt from Iowa if he is available in the 5th.

its only been 3 rounds calm down..I noticed that no matter who the colts picked besides Luck yall complain about it..drafts not even half way over and complaints..when the draft is over and you see the finished draft products and you dont like it then complain

It's just the frustration of realizing that hour and a half they spent at nfldraftcoundown.com was all wasted because we didn't pick the guy they just found out

Fortunately, years of Bill Polian have conditioned me not to get upset when the guy whose bio I liked doesn't get drafted. So I'm not upset that Alameda Ta'amu hasn't been given his colts jersey (yet...)

I think some are still in the mode where they are expecting to compete this year. The Colts aren't competing this year. If they are in playoff competition by 2014, we should be happy. The Polians left this franchise in abysmal shape. You can't rebuild this thing in one draft - they need everything. But you can attempt to make Luck comfortable and start building his confidence out of the gates. I agree 100% with what they did tonight. The last thing you want is to give Luck the David Carr treatment in his first few years.

What vision? Their taking best available, no strategy at all.

In case you didn't notice this team does not have a lot of talent. Taking the best available player means we are taking talented players and not just reaching for people based off what some people see as a positional need.

I think some are still in the mode where they are expecting to compete this year. The Colts aren't competing this year. If they are in playoff competition by 2014, we should be happy. The Polians left this franchise in abysmal shape. You can't rebuild this thing in one draft - they need everything. But you can attempt to make Luck comfortable and start building his confidence out of the gates. I agree 100% with what they did tonight. The last thing you want is to give Luck the David Carr treatment in his first few years.

Yeah, lots of this. The bottom line is that as Andrew Luck goes, so too do we. That's not to say you don't build a defense, but he has to get competent at his job if we want to compete, and the sooner the better. So priority one is get him people he can develop with because right now that list starts and stops at Reggie Wayne. (well, prior to tonight it did)

In case you didn't notice this team does not have a lot of talent. Taking the best available player means we are taking talented players and not just reaching for people based off what some people see as a positional need.

Who did we reach for? Fleener was invited to the Green Room and Allen was rated (by most websites) as a second round pick which we took in the third.

Looking at how many misses we have had in the draft previously by hitting on 2-3 out of like 7 or 8, I feel good about what we have.

Luck is going to be good, how good, we don't know yet.

Allen and Fleener are the cleanest and best tight ends in the draft by far.

T.Y hilton in the slot could be deadly. Might be our own homerun hitter or victor cruz and will require attention. No more just doubling up on Reggie. If he gets even 2-3 returns for touchdowns in special teams, we are making huge progress.

I'm fine with it. As long as this is their plan and they have these guys rated high that's all I can ask. THEY worked them out....NOT US. I think the people that are upset are many the same people that think we was going to win like 8 or 9 games this year and fight for a playoff spot. I don't think they understand how FAR away we are from a playoff caliber team. We have most likely 3 years before we are in the playoff hunt (if things go well). We are talent poor. We added some talents and have hopefully taken 2 positions off our needs board. DEFINATELY TE and KR/PR #3/#4 WR. We have tons of other holes but we should be set at those two positions this year. The rest of the draft is about finding a diamond in the rough or just depth. None of these guys would be expected to start or contribute much. What we did was find 4 starters. Luck, Fleener, Allen, and Hilton will start in the return game and likely see 10-12 snaps on offense. That is good. I would have liked to find a starter on defense but they didn't see their man and I have to trust them on that. Main thing is they are protecting their investment. They don't want a Gabbert situation here. A couple of years of drafts and FA and we should have a team that is very competitive...it wasn't coming overnight I hate to tell people...oh wait...I did in threads weeks ago.(along with others) We are simply trying to improve. Perhaps we become more competitive..perhaps we win some more games but we are improving. 4 or 5 wins would be big for us...and we keep building the monster.

FWIW, if the plan really is to work on the offense this year and the defense next year, I think that's smart. The holes on the offense are easily identifiable. On the other hand, with the transition to the new defense, the defense has question marks, not "holes." It's hard to predict exactly where the major defensive needs are, since a lot of it depends on how the current players transition to the new scheme. So, a year to see how things shake out could help formulate a plan for a defense-oriented draft next year.

FWIW, if the plan really is to work on the offense this year and the defense next year, I think that's smart. The holes on the offense are easily identifiable. On the other hand, with the transition to the new defense, the defense has question marks, not "holes." It's hard to predict exactly where the major defensive needs are, since a lot of it depends on how the current players transition to the new scheme. So, a year to see how things shake out could help formulate a plan for a defense-oriented draft next year.

Not to mention that next year we're going to have a lot of money to spend, and likely another high round draft pick which we can use to get a bluechipper or trade down to collect picks.

Very intuitive. Can't like this post enough!

Not to mention that next year we're going to have a lot of money to spend, and likely another high round draft pick which we can use to get a bluechipper or trade down to collect picks.

And I think we can do a much better job than the Rams did with their picks. I will be honest there are question marks with EVERY SINGLE one of their picks. They had the second pick in the draft and I am not exactly sure they got any better at all TBH. They better turn those 2 other 1st rounders into something because while I like Brockers (he's a prospect), and Quick, Jenkins, and Pead I wouldn't say are a sure thing either.

I think if we happen to have the first or second pick we can turn that into something a lot better!

There are quality players available, sure, but we have no picks in the 4th. Many of these may be gone. Time will tell, however.

If you're that concerned about not having a 4th, we have two 5ths, a 6th, and three 7ths. I'm sure we could get back into the 4th for a guy we really want. But there are so many good prospects in this draft, I really don't think we need to. I was hoping to maybe see a guard in the 4th, so if we moved up for one that would be okay. Maybe our two 5ths for a 4th and another 6th or 7th. But we really don't need to. That's mostly because I really like Nix and Gettis.

If you're that concerned about not having a 4th, we have two 5ths, a 6th, and three 7ths. I'm sure we could get back into the 4th for a guy we really want. But there are so many good prospects in this draft, I really don't think we need to. I was hoping to maybe see a guard in the 4th, so if we moved up for one that would be okay. Maybe our two 5ths for a 4th and another 6th or 7th. But we really don't need to. That's mostly because I really like Nix and Gettis.

I do think we move back into the 6th, if not the 4th with our 7th rounders.

If we have already contacted our UDFAs as reported, I think I'd prefer us use the 7th rounders to move back into the 6th, just my preference.

All offense and no defense?

in todays NFL your defense only needs to keep you in games, offense wins the games. see packers or pats... sad but true. if we can just patch together a defense that isn't walked ALL over and a good offense that can complete a 3rd down. we can go 8-8 atleast i think, specially with our schedule.

As long as there are teams reaching hard for the likes of DT John Hughes, WR TJ Graham, lets not forget Punter Brian Anger 2-3 rounds earlier then they should be picked in, yeah, I think we will do just fine. We have not reached for anything yet.

Somebody will be left for us in round 5.

I absolutely love these picks!! And I am a big advocate of building the lines on both sides of the ball, running the ball better, and stopping the run. However, TE was a glaring weakness. These picks will have a domino affect. TY Hilton's speed will stretch the defense, which softens the middle for the TEs and also makes the running attack more effective.

This is a deep draft for OLineman,

I would love to get WR Marvin McNutt from Iowa if he is available in the 5th.

Oh man, I hear ya on Marvin McNutt. That would be awesome. The way this draft is shaping up, he could be picked up later than that. Tomorrow is going to be great, I'm loving this draft so far!

What I noticed a ton of last year is holes in the offensive line and a horrendous defense (yea, special teams bad too). We have no ability to cover good receivers, what gives with this pick.

I'm with you on the Nix bandwagon. I will be surprised if a G isn't taken at some point (or college T who will be a G...).