Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I am losing hope the secondary is going to be fixed. Right now without Blackmon the secondary is even weaker.

At this second, yes it is… but it would be if Blackmon was signed over someone else and is injured by week 3 too. 

they aren’t even remotely close to being done with the secondary… 

• Like 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I am losing hope the secondary is going to be fixed. Right now without Blackmon the secondary is even weaker.

If we get Sneed, we'll be fine, but that's a big if at this point.

1 minute ago, Yoshinator said:

If we get Sneed, we'll be fine, but that's a big if at this point.

If we keep waiting too long on him we’re gonna miss out on other needed items players at safety and backup RB. 

• Like 1

If we are really interested in Q. Diggs Ballard should sign him asap and at least fix the safety room.   This Sneed pursuit looks like it is going to take sometime unfortunately.  And it could collapse while other defensive backs are being signed.

• Like 3

Just now, smittywerb said:

So basically Sneed is fighting signing a new contract for the team he’s traded to.  Wow, and we’re still trying to get this guy?

It's no different than ny other situation where a player is not happy with the money he's being offered .

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

At this second, yes it is… but it would be if Blackmon was signed over someone else and is injured by week 3 too. 

they aren’t even remotely close to being done with the secondary… 

If we were to grab sneed and a FS I’d be happy with what we have:

CBs:  Sneed, Brents, Moore, Jones

FS: FA signing

SS: Blackmon (if we bring him back)

id be happy with that defensive backfield.  My issue would be the pass rush.

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

I disagree. Winning the right way and having a pool of star players that have integrity matter more… Would rather cheer for good guys that might not be as successful as we’d like than to have a roster full a character issues that win more… 

I wasn't suggesting do whatever it takes to be successful. But winning the right way is still winning. And until the winning happens, there should be some pushback, not just positive spin. But there isn't really a voice like that among the Colts "media" for whatever reason.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

If we keep waiting too long on him we’re gonna miss out on other needed items players at safety and backup RB. 

Yep. We already have with Dillon. Some safeties and WRs have gone as well. Not a good thing right now.

1 hour ago, shasta519 said:

Yep. Maybe Joel and Holder are just being contrarians because the more vocal sentiment is dissatisfaction among the fanbase.

But I have long held that the local "media" in Indy is incredibly Ballard-friendly, to the point that they will often carry his water. Doyel and Bowen (sorta) can be critical, but that's really it. Dakich doesn't count lol

But guys like Keefer (when he was still here), Holder, the Indy Star guys, Chappy, all of the podcasters, bloggers...they all tend to operate like some extension of Colts PR with how they hype up players/moves and how they spin narratives. The bias is blatant.

Yep.  Now, the media doesn't have to be like Philly's media (reputation) and forage for things to bag on all of the time, but if the fans are starting to think like this is a perennial .500 team, why can't the media acknowledge the fans' opinion and press Ballard a little more on it.   

He'll talk about the QB situation, and sure, that's a big part, but why can't the media ask him why we have never replaced Robert Mathis in the past 7 years or never got another TY or Marvin type of WR.  No, Pittman doesn't count...and "trying to" doesn't count either after 7 years.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

If we are really interested in Q. Diggs Ballard should sign him asap and at least fix the safety room.   This Sneed pursuit looks like it is going to take sometime unfortunately.  And it could collapse while other defensive backs are being signed.

We really don't know if Ballard is trying to trade draft compensation for a CB that will take 17 to 20 mill to sign. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Yeah, we have interest in Diggs. I'd just grab him at this point in case Sneed doesn't get traded. We're going to miss out if we don't land Sneed.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dw49 said:

It's no different than ny other situation where a player is not happy with the money he's being offered .

the way I interpreted that tweet was sneed doesn’t necessarily want to sign a contract after being traded.  If money is the issue then once again, we need to move on.  But idk, we’ve waited this long and now are kind of stuck.

5 hours ago, stitches said:

It just means the Chargers are almost for certain picking a WR, because they lost both their best receivers this off-season. And the Cardinals losing Hollywood Brown almost certainly means they will be picking WR too. So... 4 and 5 will be WRs. And if the Pats decide to go with WR over QB then this means all top 3 WRs will be gone by 5. And if not... the Giants at 6 have severe lack of receivers ... Titans... Jets... Broncos... 

It's going to be WR going 4-6, unless LAC talks themselves into Bowers.

I don't think we have ever seen this before either.

This might actually be one of the more predictable top 10s that we have seen in a long time. Praying that Verse or Turner falls to #15.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, stitches said:

It just means the Chargers are almost for certain picking a WR, because they lost both their best receivers this off-season. And the Cardinals losing Hollywood Brown almost certainly means they will be picking WR too. So... 4 and 5 will be WRs. And if the Pats decide to go with WR over QB then this means all top 3 WRs will be gone by 5. And if not... the Giants at 6 have severe lack of receivers ... Titans... Jets... Broncos... 

LT Joe Alt will probably go to either the Titans or the Giants, and I could see the Jets going with Bowers to give an underneath/middle threat to compliment their good young outside WR (not sure who the Jets TE is currently),

1 minute ago, adubb84 said:

Thought this was interesting….Keeps Houston out of the first round 

Interesting indeed. I believe the Texans weren't even going to be in the first round at all and that 23rd pick was originally from Cleveland. 

13 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

So basically Sneed is fighting signing a new contract for the team he’s traded to.  Wow, and we’re still trying to get this guy?

Any thoughts on why he would be fighting a new contract to play for a new team?  Does he want to play for the new team on the Franchise Tag?  (not sure if the rules allow that).

It must simply be coming down to the amount of money, and he apparently is asking for more than any "interested" team wants to give at this point.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

LT Joe Alt will probably go to either the Titans or the Giants, and I could see the Jets going with Bowers to give an underneath/middle threat to compliment their good young outside WR (not sure who the Jets TE is currently),

Giants already have Andrew Thomas who they are paying $140M

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

Thought this was interesting….Keeps Houston out of the first round 

Good for HOU.  They probably have enough good talent needing to be absorbed already (QB, LT, and 2 EDGES) and will now have more picks to fill support positions and depth.

Just now, runthepost said:

Giants already have Andrew Thomas who they are paying $140M

Does he play RT or LT?   I thought he washed as a LT, but maybe not.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

I don't feel like I see this very often until the actual draft.  Definitely interesting.

Yeah bizarre to see a draft trade of just draft picks before the actual draft. I would think you would want to see who’s available first. 

Just now, BProland85 said:

Yeah bizarre to see a draft trade of just draft picks before the actual draft. I would think you would want to see who’s available first. 

Dragon Ball GIF by Toei Animation

Houston's like: I have all the power I need. 

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Good for HOU.  They probably have enough good talent needing to be absorbed already (QB, LT, and 2 EDGES) and will now have more picks to fill support positions and depth.

Does he play RT or LT?   I thought he washed as a LT, but maybe not.

LT and he only allowed 17 pressures the whole year. Was an all pro last season (2022)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Could be they are trying to get into position to maybe take the Michigan QB ? Maybe another trade up coming ? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Any thoughts on why he would be fighting a new contract to play for a new team?  Does he want to play for the new team on the Franchise Tag?  (not sure if the rules allow that).

It must simply be coming down to the amount of money, and he apparently is asking for more than any "interested" team wants to give at this point.

It would be the non-exclusive franchise tag.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Could be they are trying to get into position to maybe take the Michigan QB ? Maybe another trade up coming ? 

Dane Brugelr’s mock draft in the Athletic pretty much anticipated this would happen. All to grab… JJ McCarthy 

Edited by adubb84
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yep.  Now, the media doesn't have to be like Philly's media (reputation) and forage for things to bag on all of the time, but if the fans are starting to look like this is a perennial .500 team, why can't the media acknowledge the fans' opinion and press Ballard a little more on it.   

He'll talk about the QB situation, and sure, that's a big part, but why can't the media ask him why we have never replaced Robert Mathis in the past 7 years or never got another TY or Marvin type of WR.  No, Pittman doesn't count...and "trying to" doesn't count either after 7 years.

Agree. Don't have to be like some of the east coast media, but there's almost no balance.

And it's not like they only do this because that's what Colts fans want to read/listen. They went hard after Wentz, Reich and then Saturday. They will be negative when there's other scapegoats.

And in the past, the local media went really hard after Grigson. They won't even mention him, but the podcasters and bloggers still vilify him. There was even criticism of Polian (and his son Chris) near the end of that era. If pods and social media were around then, I am sure there would have been a lot more criticism.

This does seem to very much be a Ballard thing. Since he got here, he has repeatedly talked about his process/the culture. And because the media, pods, Colts Twitter mostly love him, they have evangelized Ballard's way to the fanbase. And the result is that process has become as important, if not more important than the results. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

It is his first big contract after his rookie contract. He will be 30 or 31 by the time he gets his next contract. Just like Pittman did his due diligence and JT held out last year beginning, Sneed is doing it at the time he is "supposed to" do it, during the only time in FA when he can have "some" leverage. I don't blame Sneed at all.

Ballard had the contract ready for Buckner, for 4 years $84 mil. when he traded for the 49ers and similarly he has a number in mind for Sneed too, assuming it is Ballard and the Colts that is in play (otherwise, why would I care?). So bridging the gap between Ballard and Sneed's agent is what this is about. I mean, it is only week 1 of free agency after all. :) 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

Dane Brugelr’s mock draft in the Athletic pretty much anticipated this would happen. All to grab… JJ McCarthy 

Yes , really hard to believe they want to roll with Sam D. They could never get up far enough to get 1 of the top 3 QBs and he seems to be clearly the 4th best QB . 

6 minutes ago, runthepost said:

LT and he only allowed 17 pressures the whole year. Was an all pro last season (2022)

OK, I must have been thinking about that first round OT from UGA that busted.  I'm not following other teams or the draft much this year so I'll stop now.  LOL.

26 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yep.  Now, the media doesn't have to be like Philly's media (reputation) and forage for things to bag on all of the time, but if the fans are starting to think like this is a perennial .500 team, why can't the media acknowledge the fans' opinion and press Ballard a little more on it.   

the pass rusher is fair, and his answer would be that he failed to get one that developed into that, not that he didn’t try… 

but regarding the TY/Marvin- like, the only one close to resembling that type under Frank’s offense was Campbell. Everyone else was Pittman type builds, essentially. 

1 minute ago, dw49 said:

Yes , really hard to believe they want to roll with Sam D. They could never get up far enough to get 1 of the top 3 QBs and he seems to be clearly the 4th QB taken 

Fixed it for you 😁

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It is his first big contract after his rookie contract. He will be 30 or 31 by the time he gets his next contract. Just like Pittman did his due diligence and JT held out last year beginning, Sneed is doing it at the time he is "supposed to" do it, during the only time in FA when he can have "some" leverage. I don't blame Sneed at all.

Ballard had the contract ready for Buckner, for 4 years $84 mil. when he traded for the 49ers and similarly he has a number in mind for Sneed too, assuming it is Ballard and the Colts that is in play (otherwise, why would I care?). So bridging the gap between Ballard and Sneed's agent is what this is about. I mean, it is only week 1 of free agency after all. :) 

Exactly… Took an entire season and up to the brink of free agency to sign Pittman to an extension… And we think getting this done is easy without significantly overpaying? 

• Like 1

Just now, richard pallo said:

They were good with it.

No doubt they were. I was concerned the Texans were going to take a studd WR with that pick. They already done enough this offseason. They can go away 

• Like 2

Just now, richard pallo said:

They were good with it.

This also tells me Houston Texans were wanting to go D after all in Round 1. Once they got Danielle Hunter (DE), Denico Autry (DT), Azeez Al Shair (LB), Jeff Okudah (CB), they were happy to do this trade because they felt just like they had success with Tank Dell last year, they feel a WR at No.42 would suffice for them now that they brought Noah Brown back.

• Like 2