Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Because from my perspective, the Colts are coming off one of the most enjoyable seasons of my nearly 13 seasons of Colts fandom

That is a surprise to me.  Watching games I just try to enjoy the moment and we did get to 9 wins.  It was ok but I never got super excited because it felt they were not really built to go anywhere. We have seen worse, other teams see a lot worse too.  

But 9-8 isnt going to bring a celebration of Chris Ballard from me.  With the new playoff format lots of teams are close every single year.  Its like we have built a team to be in the hunt but thats about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

This is your interpretation of comments Ballard has made about the team.   The Ballard detractors twist his meaning.  The Ballard defenders do not. 

We see this differently.   Just like we do when you think Ballard now wishes he had done things differently.  That’s your opinion.  I think Ballard has been proven right that he and Irsay and Frank made the best decisions they could for a team viewed as in “win now” mode.   

Im sorry we don’t agree more often, I think you’re one of the smartest people here.  I’ve said that publicly a number of times.   But we rarely seem to find enough common ground.  Wish it wasn’t so.  

I jumped into this convo about twisting what he said in that quote, but I don’t think I have ever said Ballard wishes he had acted differently. If he does, he’s never really admitted his regrets. And he hasn’t exactly acted like it because he’s stayed true to his process. 

I do agree that Reich and Ballard were in lock-step on the direction of the team (in all facets). Which is why I don’t get why Reich takes so much blame.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, shasta519 said:

I jumped into this convo about twisting what he said in that quote, but I don’t think I have ever said Ballard wishes he had acted differently. If he does, he’s never really admitted his regrets. And he hasn’t exactly acted like it because he’s stayed true to his process. 

I do agree that Reich and Ballard were in lock-step on the direction of the team (in all facets). Which is why I don’t get why Reich takes so much blame.

He’s expressed his regrets for some of his choices, namely QB, many a time in his various pressers. Yet people ignore that

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Not saying you’re wrong but… I’m saving this post for when the Texans strategy blows up in their face.

I think Ballard is too conservative but I think Caserio is too reckless. It’s gonna bite them harder than us when it back fires. As history has shown time and time again.

as I’ve said for years, we are the mid 2000s chiefs under Alex smith. A team that is on the edge of the playoffs but need the right guy at the right time. Entirely plausible that AR is that guy, but we don’t know. If he turns out good to great and we own the Texans again, I hope you and others come back to eat some crow. Likewise, if the Texans somehow win a ring, I’ll eat my crow.

I certainly dont want the texans to be better than us and I hope that I eat crow lol. But caserios method seems to be working for them but it could blow up down the road . Meanwhile ballard is just plodding along and not upgrading our weak positions which is not keeping up with the texans. I want us to win it makes our team so much more fun to watch.

• Like 1

It should be make the playoffs by next year or Chris is gone.  That would put a lot of pressure on our young QB, but he was CB's choice anyway.   Sometimes I wonder if Jim Irsay's health could affect the decision to fire him.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think it’s an interesting position to take.  Because from my perspective, the Colts are coming off one of the most enjoyable seasons of my nearly 13 seasons of Colts fandom.   Nearly making the playoffs with a backup QB starting for the vast majority of the season.   I think Steichen is an interesting coach to watch.  I think he coached the heck out of the team.   I think there’s the likelihood of a promising future for the team.   If 2022 was a bad job by Ballard, and I’ve said it was, I think 2023 was one of his best.   

But I’m sure my point of view will it be popular, and if they were still available, would earn me some laughing emoji’s.   Thats life here.  

"Colts are coming off one of the most enjoyable seasons of my nearly 13 seasons of Colts fandom".  Couldn't agree more because the 2023 was unexpected much like 2012 was. Great stuff! By the way, regarding my earlier rants, I think you are just misunderstood by a lot in here. I don't think you are a bully or pick on people, you are just strong minded in your ways, and it hurts people feelings when you speak the truth, that is my opinion. You bring facts to most of your posts, but I will say this I didn't enjoy your sad faces toward me at times on some posts Homer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV- it was mainly because I was trying to figure out why haha . We agree about 80% of the time, maybe that is why.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, csmopar said:

He’s expressed his regrets for some of his choices, namely QB, many a time in his various pressers. Yet people ignore that

Huh?   Other than Wentz, who has Ballard expressed regret over?   

1 minute ago, shasta519 said:

I think Ballard and Shane are in lock step as well.  I think Shane came here because Of Ballard and the opportunity to start with the quarterback he wanted.  Considering what happened last year so far so good.  Shane was totally on board with running it back with our starting 25.  I think he likes his team and he’s looking forward to getting some good players from the draft.  I think our playoff chances are looking very good actually.

4 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

I certainly dont want the texans to be better than us and I hope that I eat crow lol. But caserios method seems to be working for them but it could blow up down the road . Meanwhile ballard is just plodding along and not upgrading our weak positions which is not keeping up with the texans. I want us to win it makes our team so much more fun to watch.

Yeah I get it. But history is not on the Texans side. The super bidders of FA of the last 20 years, 16 of them have missed the playoffs and only the Rams have gotten to the Conference Championships or beyond.  They could but it’d be unlikely,

meanwhile, teams like the chiefs and Bills were rather patient , building a deep solid set of rosters before finally landing their QB and boom, they’re contenders for the big dance. 

I feel that Ballard is taking this approach and once he knows what he has in AR, then I think we’ll see a change in mannerisms towards FA. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I think Ballard is very stubborn and I think he still believes in his overall philosophy even after the last 7 years not bringing much of any high level success to the team. I think there are very few things he admits for doing wrong... and when he does it... surprisingly the next year repeats the mistake. One year he left a failing OL without much help and next off-season he admitted it was a mistake... only to do the exact same thing this time with the DBs a year or two later. He still believes in building from the inside out... I still don't think he has the required focus on pass-catching weapons for his QB... etc. 

One thing that I am not sure was an admision  of a mistake but can be taken that way. In one of his off-season interviews he mentioned that in 2020 they were considering trading up for a QB before signing Rivers and trading the pick for Buckner. My pure informed speculation is that he wanted to trade up for Herbert. He will never straight up admit it, because Buckner is still on this team and he's been a great Colt... I just wish we could give him some truth serum and see what he says about that thing. To me this episode was such an interesting moment and Colts media pretty much never talk about that fork in the road that Ballard himself admits was being considered. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

"Colts are coming off one of the most enjoyable seasons of my nearly 13 seasons of Colts fandom".  Couldn't agree more because the 2023 was unexpected much like 2012 was. Great stuff! By the way, regarding my earlier rants, I think you are just misunderstood by a lot in here. I don't think you are a bully or pick on people, you are just strong minded in your ways, and it hurts people feelings when you speak the truth, that is my opinion. You bring facts to most of your posts, but I will say this I didn't enjoy your sad faces toward me at times on some posts Homer Simpson Laughing GIF by FOX TV- it was mainly because I was trying to figure out why haha . We agree about 80% of the time, maybe that is why.

I appreciate the kind words of support.   It’s been a tough few days around here.  I appreciate all the friends I have here.   And yes, we do agree far more than we disagree.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I gave you my opinion - intent is important to me at least. 

You didn’t like it and here comes the petty insults. Have fun with that. 

we should not insult one another or be rude to our fellow colts fans even though we may disagree

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Perhaps I got you confused with another poster?   I’m sorry if that’s the case.   Didn’t mean to do that to you.   :giveup:

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Yeah I get it. But history is not on the Texans side. The super bidders of FA of the last 20 years, 16 of them have missed the playoffs and only the Rams have gotten to the Conference Championships or beyond.  They could but it’d be unlikely,

meanwhile, teams like the chiefs and Bills were rather patient , building a deep solid set of rosters before finally landing their QB and boom, they’re contenders for the big dance. 

I feel that Ballard is taking this approach and once he knows what he has in AR, then I think we’ll see a change in mannerisms towards FA. 

I hope you are right and he gets ar some better weapons and game changers

• Like 2

I love this forum as a whole, so I am trying to get along with everyone better. I love talking all sports and respect many here. We all can improve. It is the best football forum by far. If you go to others, you will see. The Mods deserve a lot of credit here, but I have always thought that for keeping this place sane. I have even had good convo with Doug and Moose lately, life is too short to be upset with people because they have different points of views than many. I am over it regarding that The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I love this forum as a whole, so I am trying to get along with everyone better. I love talking all sports and respect many here. We all can improve. It is the best football forum by far. If you go to others, you will see. The Mods deserve a lot of credit here, but I have always thought that for keeping this place sane. I have even had good convo with Doug and Mosse lately, life is too short to be upset with people because they have different points of views than many. I am over it regarding that The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

we needs more posts like this

• Like 1

4 hours ago, w87r said:

If those 2 are considered dart throws as 3rd rounders.

Wouldn't Jacob Eason in the 4th be considered one as well? 

I wouldn't consider Ehlinger one(2021 6th round), but really what is the difference in mid to late round QB prospects. Aren't they all dart throws after round 1? 

Luck retired prior to season in 2019, post draft.

Eason drafted in 2020 draft, less than a year after Luck retired. Literally couldn't of thrown a dart any quicker than that.

Suppose a big deal will be made about the difference of being a 3rd or 4th round pick. 

Ridder and Willis were selected in '22 draft, which had historically bad QB class. They were also 2nd and 3rd QBs taken, after 60+ other players were selected, it was so bad even QB needy teams were afraid to pull the trigger. 

Yeah, I'd not have worried about Ballard not drafting QB that year, in the first place.

Perhaps one could argue it was good time for a dart throw, as if the 2nd selected QB worked out, team was spending only a late day 2 draft pick, which in other years would require a top 5 overall draft pick to select one of the top 3 QBs. 

Eason was selected in '20 draft, which had one of the best QB classes in recent years. 

I think we can't just ignore the value of draft pick, when we say anything after round 1 for QB is a dart throw. If Round 2 draft pick was not highly valued, perhaps Ballard could've drafted Jalen Hurts which Philly did to find a franchise QB. Or how Packers spent ~#25 draft pick to select Jordan Love in the same draft. 

No other team was willing to part a draft pick around #50, to draft a QB who may or may not work out but Philly had some confidence that Hurts wouldn't be a total bust and they could get some serviceable years to spend a Round 2 draft pick.

Eason pick was a blind dart throw like almost all teams do in day 3, just to select a QB as camp and practice addition. Teams have very low confidence that the QB will work out, and the expectations are low.

Personally, I'd like teams to evaluate QBs to find if they are slightly confident of the QB working out in some aspect, and be ready to spend a draft pick in top 50 like Philly and GB did. That they are willing to not draft a borderline round 1 graded player, in other positions and instead select a QB who may or may not work out, but they think their guy might have better chance.

Spending a day 3 pick basically means nothing, once in a while there may be a Brady or Purdy, but no one is expecting that. Sometimes, teams get a Cousins or Prescott too, but that's just rare compared to QBs selected at least within top ~50 draft picks. 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

"Colts are coming off one of the most enjoyable seasons of my nearly 13 seasons of Colts fandom".  Couldn't agree more because the 2023 was unexpected much like 2012 was. Great stuff! By the way, regarding my earlier rants, I think you are just misunderstood by a lot in here. I don't think you are a bully or pick on people, you are just strong minded in your ways, and it hurts people feelings when you speak the truth, that is my opinion. You bring facts to most of your posts, but I will say this I didn't enjoy your sad faces toward me at times on some posts 

And this is where you likely agree with some, but not others.

Many of us thought this was a terrible season, never had a chance to advance any farther than any other team that finished with the same or slightly worse record.  If the Colts got in, it would have been due to circumstances.  Advancing a season because of circumstances and not the execution of a plan is very unentertaining to many.  Fun or enjoyable seasons is about more than just happening to win a few more games than expected with your limited backup QB.

Also, you are praising someone for their strong opinions, then later moving that thought to describing him speaking the truth. 

And facts themselves are hollow unless all of the facts are presented fairly.  Like the post above from the Colts beat writer who factually pointed to all of the players other teams lost (cleared space for other players), but then stopped short of listing the facts about which players replaced them, which many were improvements (on paper).  This is the entire criticism of Ballard this offseason so far is that he did not let players leave in order to clear space for the position to be improved.  At least any attempt to do so failed (on paper).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stitches said:

This is something you don't seem to understand - the process is much more important than the low level details. I've said a ton of times - I care about what Ballard does on a philosophical level, much more than the specifics... I defer a lot to him and the scouting department on specific players. And I don't expect every player to hit... and I don't consider every miss a mistake. 

Excellent paragraph.  The counter to that would be the 55% hit rate GMs typically get, or individual decisions like trading for Buckner when there was a need for a long term QB. where these specific facts are used to deflate the criticism of process and philosophy.   None of know all of the options that were available...that were discarded....and never made public.  A person can nit pick every single decision to death, and I can't think of any one decision that didn't seem reasonable at the time, but the overall philosophy guides the final selections and is responsible for what the roster looks like.  Many of us have problems with that and I thought it was an issue early on, just seemingly a blind spot towards valuing explosion...which is weird for a guy who also values RAS.  RAS in positions where RAS may not that be critical, with seemingly little differentiation towards position.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Ridder and Willis were selected in '22 draft, which had historically bad QB class. They were also 2nd and 3rd QBs taken, after 60+ other players were selected, it was so bad even QB needy teams were afraid to pull the trigger. 

Yeah, I'd not have worried about Ballard not drafting QB that year, in the first place.

Perhaps one could argue it was good time for a dart throw, as if the 2nd selected QB worked out, team was spending only a late day 2 draft pick, which in other years would require a top 5 overall draft pick to select one of the top 3 QBs. 

Eason was selected in '20 draft, which had one of the best QB classes in recent years. 

I think we can't just ignore the value of draft pick, when we say anything after round 1 for QB is a dart throw. If Round 2 draft pick was not highly valued, perhaps Ballard could've drafted Jalen Hurts which Philly did to find a franchise QB. Or how Packers spent ~#25 draft pick to select Jordan Love in the same draft. 

No other team was willing to part a draft pick around #50, to draft a QB who may or may not work out but Philly had some confidence that Hurts wouldn't be a total bust and they could get some serviceable years to spend a Round 2 draft pick.

Eason pick was a blind dart throw like almost all teams do in day 3, just to select a QB as camp and practice addition. Teams have very low confidence that the QB will work out, and the expectations are low.

Personally, I'd like teams to evaluate QBs to find if they are slightly confident of the QB working out in some aspect, and be ready to spend a draft pick in top 50 like Philly and GB did. That they are willing to not draft a borderline round 1 graded player, in other positions and instead select a QB who may or may not work out, but they think their guy might have better chance.

Spending a day 3 pick basically means nothing, once in a while there may be a Brady or Purdy, but no one is expecting that. Sometimes, teams get a Cousins or Prescott too, but that's just rare compared to QBs selected at least within top ~50 draft picks. 

Its been a while.  Can you remember what the purported reasoning was to not select Jordan Love? (I don't think there was ever a clear discussion of that from Ballard).  I think that was the year we drafted either Eason or Sam.  Not saying that Love didn't have some risks, but I believe that was the year we used pick 13 to trade for Buck...but in the big scheme of things...a DT can still be found easier than a QB.

GB drafted Love with Rodgers on the roster for a while.  I'd think Love could have been a successor to Rivers, even if Rivers came back the second year.  No good reason to pass on a QB just because you signed a 39 year old.  I suspect Ballard thought the team was "closer" than it really was simply because it made the playoffs the year before with Rivers?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Many of us thought this was a terrible season, never had a chance to advance any farther than any other team that finished with the same or slightly worse record.  If the Colts got in, it would have been due to circumstances.  Advancing a season because of circumstances and not the execution of a plan is very unentertaining to many.  Fun or enjoyable seasons is about more than just happening to win a few more games than expected with your limited backup QB.

Also, you are praising someone for their strong opinions, then later moving that thought to describing him speaking the truth. 

And facts themselves are hollow unless all of the facts are presented fairly.  Like the post above from the Colts beat writer who factually pointed to all of the players other teams lost (cleared space for other players), but then stopped short of listing the facts about which players replaced them, which many were improvements (on paper).  This is the entire criticism of Ballard this offseason so far is that he did not let players leave in order to clear space for the position to be improved.  At least any attempt to do so failed (on paper).

I respect your opinion, I just never dreamed we would be within a play of winning the division, something we have never done under Ballard, that is why I found the season enjoyable and unexpected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Many of us thought this was a terrible season, never had a chance to advance any farther than any other team that finished with the same or slightly worse record.  If the Colts got in, it would have been due to circumstances

Chelsea Peretti Eye Roll GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

“Many of us thought it was a terrible season.”   

That may or may not be true,  but you’re the first person I’ve seen actually say it.  That you thought it was a “terrible season.”  

I’ve read some who were frustrated with a season where the young kids were allowed to play and learn on the job….  That’s not easy to watch being a fan.  I get that.  But “terrible season”?!?    Really?   

You're the first. 

Holy Cow….   

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That may or may not be true,  but you’re the first person I’ve seen actually say it.  That you thought it was a “terrible season.”  

I’ve read some who were frustrated with a season where the young kids were allowed to play and learn on the job….  That’s not easy to watch being a fan.  I get that.  But “terrible season”?!?    Really?   

You're the first. 

Holy Cow….   

Terrible season.   Doug should look at the 80s and 90s if you want to see terrible seasons.   I knew this colts team wasn't going to the superbowl  before AR got hurt.   I saw a lot of grit and a lot of will to win.   The team went 9-8 with a journeyman at qb.  Mustache played his butt off.  I wish we could have kept him.    

A team devoid of talent doesn't win 9 games worth a backup qb.  

I don't think Ballard is perfect,  I think him and Irsay have a plan that they agree on to building a team.  Those that think this blueprint is only on Ballard haven't been paying attention.   He will draft good players,  then sign players cut after the draft.   If Anthony Richardson can stay healthy,  this team can win the division 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You're the first. 

Holy Cow….   

I am just done arguing with him and took the high road, after AR got injured not 1 person in here picked us to win 9 games and be a play away from winning the South. That is why I enjoyed it :thmup:

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am just done arguing with him and took the high road, after AR got injured not 1 person in here picked us to win 9 games and be a play away from winning the South. That is why I enjoyed it :thmup:

Yeah last year was a scrappy team that had a disappointing ending but a fun ride,

• Like 1

5 hours ago, csmopar said:

Has he? I know he has talked about other position groups, like LT after the Pryor year. But he’s never said he should have taken a different approach at QB.

11 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

But he’s never said he should have taken a different approach at QB.

He's too risk averse to make the big trade for someone like Tua or Herbert.  He wont say he made the wrong choice because he doesnt believe in that kind of gamble.  Same goes for Stroud, they dont believe in trading up like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There are def people who thought Minshew raised the floor of this team, given he’s not a rookie and had played with Steichen for two years. 

When Minshew was signed, I think just about every Colts fan approved. So why was that? Because they thought he was a fun guy to have around? No, I think most thought they could win games with him.

Maybe not 9 games, but they didn’t win a game where AR played the majority of the snaps.

This is one narrative I will never understand. Minshew did what he was supposed to when they signed him and what people thought he could do…and he has been reduced to being considered a scrub backup QB (you didn’t say that, but I often hear this). I think it’s unfair to a QB who finished top 20 in EPA/play. It’s not like AR finished much higher in his short sample…and he didn’t face the same level of defenses.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

There are def people who thought Minshew raised the floor of this team, given he’s not a rookie and had played with Steichen for two years. 

When Minshew was signed, I think just about every Colts fan approved. So why was that? Because they thought he was a fun guy to have around? No, I think most thought they could win games with him.

Maybe not 9 games, but they didn’t win a game where AR played the majority of the snaps.

This is one narrative I will never understand. Minshew did what he was supposed to when they signed him and what people thought he could do…and he has been reduced to being considered a scrub backup QB (you didn’t say that, but I often hear this). I think it’s unfair to a QB who finished top 20 in EPA/play. It’s not like AR finished much higher in his short sample…and he didn’t face the same level of defenses.

I never considered Minshew a scrub but many did though. When we lost AR, it was like the air went out of the building in here. I still was positive. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Has he? I know he has talked about other position groups, like LT after the Pryor year. But he’s never said he should have taken a different approach at QB.

perhaps the most clear one below: QB talk starts at the 12 minute mark.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

neither did the Texans… 

We didnt need anything from them to make a deal.  A team moved up to number one in that draft and we were in better position than them to do it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I never considered Minshew a scrub but many did though. When we lost AR, it was like the air went out of the building in here. I still was positive. 

I still don’t know why so many people think our roster sucks. We took a backup QB and were relevant until the final game. Considering most “experts” had us maybe winning 4 games with AR, I think we did well given the circumstances. 
Most teams would have collapsed. We didnt. funny thing is, if that pass hadn’t been dropped, many in here would be singing a different tune. 

but none of that matters now, it’s ARs team. It’s on him now to stay healthy and lead this team. If we can get him some reliable weapons, we stand to surprise a lot of people. 

2 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

We didnt need anything from them to make a deal.  A team moved up to number one in that draft and we were in better position than them to do it.

And what was given up was stupidly high. Ballard even said last year in his post draft that he did talk to the Bears about 1 but decided they liked the spot at 4 so they chose to stay put.  Panthers now are paying a heavy price for that blunder last year. 

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I still don’t know why so many people think our roster sucks. We took a backup QB and were relevant until the final game. Considering most “experts” had us maybe winning 4 games with AR, I think we did well given the circumstances. 
Most teams would have collapsed. We didnt. funny thing is, if that pass hadn’t been dropped, many in here would be singing a different tune. 

but none of that matters now, it’s ARs team. It’s on him now to stay healthy and lead this team. If we can get him some reliable weapons, we stand to surprise a lot of people. 

Imagine had we caught that pass and won the division?? This forum would've been praising Ballard for winning the Division, Shane would have been up for coach of the year, and many would have wanted Minshew back. It is amazing how 1 play changes everything.

• Like 3