Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

I wonder if we were actually interested in Hunter, or more interested in driving his price up knowing Houston was after him… 

I think we may have driven up the price. Ballard may have known that Hunter wouldn't sign with us and wanted to go home to Houston, so he took advantage of a team who lost Greenard. Very possible.

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

That’s entirely possible in fact plausible. I’m just saying we won’t ever know. 

Yeah I agree. We were hearing about the interest we had in trading for Sneed though, so I honsetly believe that's where Ballard's priority was (besides re-signing our own). That and Hunter. 

Not that it matters, but I am in the camp of getting a difference maker at DE

This team has been at the bottom in points allowed

This defense as zone requires a heavy amount of pressure to be successful

The Texans had their way with us, and were down 2 WRs for the game

Is some of that on the DBs?  Of course…

We could have All Pros across the backfield and if the QB has zero pressure, someone, even a scrub WR will get open……

We didn’t land a DE so far, so we may have to go rounds 1 or 2 to get another candidate to put consistent pressure on the QB

6 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Not that it matters, but I am in the camp of getting a difference maker at DE

This team has been at the bottom in points allowed

This defense as zone requires a heavy amount of pressure to be successful

The Texans had their way with us, and were down 2 WRs for the game

Is some of that on the DBs?  Of course…

We could have All Pros across the backfield and if the QB has zero pressure, someone, even a scrub WR will get open……

We didn’t land a DE so far, so we may have to go rounds 1 or 2 to get another candidate to put consistent pressure on the QB

Jared Verse might be a guy for you to watch. I can't see Dallas Turner being there at 15, but if he is I think we'd definitely have to take him. 

• Like 2

Chargers are probably going to be releasing some big names today.

6 minutes ago, runthepost said:

They were terrible in getting pressures. Most of the sacks came against a mediocre Patriots, the Titans, and the Ravens in week 3.

When the secondary is as bad as it was that’s going to happen. 

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This is interesting.

Solid veteran backup for Taylor

$3-$4m tops 

He would be starting in Dallas most likely though, so tough to compete with that offer 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Solid veteran backup for Taylor

$3-$4m tops 

He would be starting in Dallas most likely though, so tough to compete with that offer 

Dang, I missed the memo that Pollard signed with the Titans. 

22 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Jared Verse might be a guy for you to watch. I can't see Dallas Turner being there at 15, but if he is I think we'd definitely have to take him. 

Edge rusher at 15 could very well be the best option available. We could potentially get the 2nd off the board versus the 4th receiver. 

• Like 4

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

Edge rusher at 15 could very well be the best option available. We could potentially get the 2nd off the board versus the 4th receiver. 

Yep. The more I think about it and from what Chris has said about the WR room (and now that Pittman has been signed), I think he might be taking an edge in the first round. 

That is unless we do something in the next week or so. 

12 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

It’s the samething every off-season.  People ignore how Ballard does things and expect him to sign all these big name free agents and when it doesn’t happen people get upset.  

I am not going to sit here and say Ballard’s approach is perfect but like I said yesterday, good, bad, or indifferent this is who Ballard is.  Fans would be better off if they accepted it.  For the record accepting is not the samething as agreeing with it.  It’s just accepting this is who he is going to be and acknowledging that when you develop expectations for how he will operate.  

It’s not about people ignoring what Ballard has done. It’s acknowledging what Ballard has done hasn’t been good enough. It’s acknowledging that we are in a better position than ever (because of AR’s rookie contract) to get some difference makers. 

I don’t think people REALLY expected any different, but I think a lot of people were hoping Ballard would actually try an bring in some players that would move the needle for us. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

It’s not about people ignoring what Ballard has done. It’s acknowledging what Ballard has done hasn’t been good enough. It’s acknowledging that we are in a better position than ever (because of AR’s rookie contract) to get some difference makers. 

I don’t think people REALLY expected any different, but I think a lot of people were hoping Ballard would actually try an bring in some players that would move the needle for us. 

Like I said accepting is not the same thing as agreeing with something. 

It’s pretty clear by some of the names being tossed out in this thread and wanting Ballard to go get them and all the talk of Ballard will be more aggressive this off-season in free agency that people did expect him to be different.

2 hours ago, stitches said:

Here's my question - how do you evaluate the season this DL had last year? Where would you put them in the hierarchy of the league? When we call it solidified... what is it solidified into? Elite? Great? Good? Average? Mediocre? To me this DL is somewhere between average and mediocre. I.e. not good enough... 

I think top 8 is fair.

23 minutes ago, joecolts said:

Sorry if this has been shared and I missed it but, the NFL Network had a scroll across the screen just now saying the Colts were finalizing a deal with P Rigeberto Sanchez. 

That happened yesterday 

4 minutes ago, KB said:

Honestly. No workout all offseason makes me not want him at 15.

Agreed but I would try to trade back up if he’s there in the 20s. 

at 15, I’d want to really do some intense medical work ups to find out what the extent of his injury is. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I don’t think people REALLY expected any different, but I think a lot of people were hoping Ballard would actually try a bring in some players that would move the needle for us. 

And he might just yet. FA technically hasn’t started yet. We have 6 hours-ish to go yet. By Friday, we’ll know for sure

• Like 1

Just now, Defjamz26 said:

Armstead is 30 as well so it may not be worth bringing him in. I’d like to see Buckner get a deal that keeps him here until 2026. Gives you time to draft and groom a replacement. 

I agree. I want him here for the rest of his career. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, w87r said:

"Davis is a massive, space-eating defensive tackle with extreme length and power. He has the versatility to line up at both the one-technique and the three-technique defensive tackle positions.

The contract is also a pretty simple, short-term deal. All of the guaranteed money is locked up in 2024, and the Colts can save $6.49 million against the cap if they need to part ways in 2025

Overall, the Colts needed to find viable depth at defensive tackle, especially behind the aforementioned Stewart. There’s a good chance they’ve done that on a relatively cheap deal with Davis.

Grade: B"

After reading the details of his deal , In think Ballard made a really good signing here. For one thing everyone figured he counts 7 mill against this year's cap ... actually it's only 5 mill. Also the guarantee is all for 2024 so 2025 looks like 9 million vs the cap or can walk for half the guaranteed bonus of 5 mill. Considering the bare cuppard  at interior D Line reserves , it looks to be a good signing .

• Like 3

3 hours ago, stitches said:

Here's my question - how do you evaluate the season this DL had last year? Where would you put them in the hierarchy of the league? When we call it solidified... what is it solidified into? Elite? Great? Good? Average? Mediocre? To me this DL is somewhere between average and mediocre. I.e. not good enough... 

More pressure from the DL on passers than ever for us, more than any year with Freeney and Mathis, more than any year with next to zero blitzing.... and overall, avg. Runstopping....  would be slightly above avg. I think if a few things went out way (no Grover suspended, JT able to grind first downs all year long to help keep D off field.... 

And it's how horrible?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yoshinator said:

I think we may have driven up the price. Ballard may have known that Hunter wouldn't sign with us and wanted to go home to Houston, so he took advantage of a team who lost Greenard. Very possible.

yall create anything en y’all’s minds. why do y’all pull at strings to paint a positive narrative out of nothing. it’s weird. Ballard did nothing & i like ballard but stop giving him random kudos for made up stories en your head 

12 minutes ago, tfunky14 said:

I think top 8 is fair.

Absolutely. 

These people are just hating and nitpicking, as usual.

Yes the pressure rate needs to get better, but no it isnt "way more important" than sacks. Sacks are huge plays for the defense and you absolutely dont "luck into" sacks. They also have 2 very young ascending edge players who look very promising and should take another step this year. 

There are other ways to improve the pressure rate other than just throwing money at free agents. The biggest way is to force more 3rd and longs. Forcing 3rd and long is the biggest factor in increasing things like pressure rate, schematically. Its very hard to get pressure on 3rd and 3. Its much easier on 3rd and 8. Especially in this system. i would guarantee you that the teams with higher pressure rates forced more 3rd and longs than the Colts.

You have to win the early downs. And I think the fact they produced so many sacks while not being very good against the run is a testamemt to how good they are. 

This DL is very good and definitely one of the better units, top to bottom, in the league. Are they a top 5 unit? Not quite. But they are knocking on the door. Adding Davis should help by making us more stout when Grover is off the field. He should bolster our short yardage package as well. I wouldnt be surprised to see them both on the field against strong running teams. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

More pressure from the DL on passers than ever for us, more than any year with Freeney and Mathis, more than any year with next to zero blitzing.... and overall, avg. Runstopping....  would be slightly above avg. I think if a few things went out way (no Grover suspended, JT able to grind first downs all year long to help keep D off field.... 

And it's how horrible?

Can you give a source for all those? Because the stats I'm seeing show we were one of the teams with lowest pressure rates in the league. I posted one of the graphs above... 

• Like 2