Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lance Zierlein Mock Draft 1.0

Well, Zierlein has posted his first mock and there are some surprises in there.

https://www.nfl.com/news/lance-zierlein-2024-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-falcons-patriots-make-trades-to-land-qbs

Notable things for me:

- Drake Maye is NOT the second QB taken - it's Jayden Daniels. Maye drops to 5.

- Pats take MHJ :puke:

- Rome Odunze before Malik Nabers

- Taliese Fuaga OT1, JC Latham OT3 and in top 10

- Terrion Arnold CB1

- JJ McCarthy goes no. 12 to the Broncos

- Byron Murphy in top 15, DT1

- Colts get Brock Bowers at 15:

Colts GM Chris Ballard can find receivers, cornerbacks, pass rushers and offensive linemen later in the draft. He will have to act now to land a guy like Bowers, who can become a safety blanket for Anthony Richardson.

- Olu Fashanu drops to 18.

- Darius Robinson and Roman Wilson have made an impression at the senior bowl - they both go in R1. 

- SEVEN OTs go R1!!!

Your thoughts?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, stitches said:

Well, Zierlein has posted his first mock and there are some surprises in there.

https://www.nfl.com/news/lance-zierlein-2024-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-falcons-patriots-make-trades-to-land-qbs

Notable things for me:

- Drake Maye is NOT the second QB taken - it's Jayden Daniels. Maye drops to 5.

- Pats take MHJ :puke:

- Rome Odunze before Malik Nabers

- Taliese Fuaga OT1, JC Latham OT3 and in top 10

- Terrion Arnold CB1

- JJ McCarthy goes no. 12 to the Broncos

- Byron Murphy in top 15, DT1

- Colts get Brock Bowers at 15:

- Olu Fashanu drops to 18.

- Darius Robinson and Roman Wilson have made an impression at the senior bowl - they both go in R1. 

- SEVEN OTs go R1!!!

Your thoughts?

I’m happy we don’t need a tackle. Hopefully it’ll mean a blue chip player falls to us. 

This is the second mock from nfl.com I’ve seen that had Bowers fall to us. I hope it happens. 

The Senior Bowl usually has some big shake ups on peoples big boards. Robinson and Wilson did really well this year along with a few others and we know Ballard favors Senior Bowl players, so maybe these guys are on his radar?

Our Tight End room could use someone like Brock Bowers.  Would be extremely shocked if he fell to us at P15.  We have Granson and Mallory for sure.  Woods hopes makes a recovery and MAC projects gets cap cut.  Still an opening here I feel, and Bowers would be an awesome pick.  Of course, wouldn't mind Dalton Schultz was a fan of him in Dallas or former Dayton Flyer Adam Trautman used to blocking in heavy sets.  PFF gave Trautman a run-blocking grade of 60.1 ranked 15th in the NFL last season for TEs.

The other player whose stock increased with an impressive showing versus Power Five was CB Quinyon Mitchell.  That would be another player to make me fall out of my chair and possibly have a heart attack if he fell to us.  

As for Roman Wilson was thinking he was a Z role type receiver but after the Senior Bowl seen some talk about him as more of a slot receiver.  With Downs no need for taking Wilson that high of a pick in Round 2. 

Khyree Jackson (Oregon) not only does he have excellent measurables and fits the Colts mold but read recently his best in Zone Coverage.  Seen his draft grade around round 4 but possibly could go round 2.  Still wouldn't shock me to see the Colts take OC Jackson Powers-Johnson kind of double down on the Ducks like we have with players from Utah.   Now my find is still trying to wheel and deal and being aggressive in FA might see the Colts try to do a player trade with Washington on draft day.  Take the chance at P15 on JPJ move Kelly to Washington in exchange for Sam Cosmi and Washington with two early round 2 picks could replace Cosmi with RG Christian Haynes (UConn).   Imagine Washington is in the QB market with decent bookend OTs and upgraded center and chance to draft Haynes.  Not sure what else we would have to give up but can always dream and we may need to recoup capital with a low cost Cosmi investment this season with future extension looming. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OhioColt said:

Our Tight End room could use someone like Brock Bowers.  Would be extremely shocked if he fell to us at P15.  We have Granson and Mallory for sure.  Woods hopes makes a recovery and MAC projects gets cap cut.  Still an opening here I feel, and Bowers would be an awesome pick.  Of course, wouldn't mind Dalton Schultz was a fan of him in Dallas or former Dayton Flyer Adam Trautman used to blocking in heavy sets.  PFF gave Trautman a run-blocking grade of 60.1 ranked 15th in the NFL last season for TEs.

The other player whose stock increased with an impressive showing versus Power Five was CB Quinyon Mitchell.  That would be another player to make me fall out of my chair and possibly have a heart attack if he fell to us.  

As for Roman Wilson was thinking he was a Z role type receiver but after the Senior Bowl seen some talk about him as more of a slot receiver.  With Downs no need for taking Wilson that high of a pick in Round 2. 

Khyree Jackson (Oregon) not only does he have excellent measurables and fits the Colts mold but read recently his best in Zone Coverage.  Seen his draft grade around round 4 but possibly could go round 2.  Still wouldn't shock me to see the Colts take OC Jackson Powers-Johnson kind of double down on the Ducks like we have with players from Utah.   Now my find is still trying to wheel and deal and being aggressive in FA might see the Colts try to do a player trade with Washington on draft day.  Take the chance at P15 on JPJ move Kelly to Washington in exchange for Sam Cosmi and Washington with two early round 2 picks could replace Cosmi with RG Christian Haynes (UConn).   Imagine Washington is in the QB market with decent bookend OTs and upgraded center and chance to draft Haynes.  Not sure what else we would have to give up but can always dream and we may need to recoup capital with a low cost Cosmi investment this season with future extension looming. 

Our TE room? Ha!! The entire team could use a guy like this. Generation TE/Skill player. Colts should do whatever it takes to land this guy. Kelce, Kittle anyone... I mean come on.. 

If he is within reach, we need to pounce

• Like 1

I would be happy with Brock Bowers

If we go that way, we still need another WR to add (Thrash?)

I am in the belief that we trade the pick for more picks

We still need FS, LB, WR, CB, and DE (Free Agent, I hope)

If we trade back to 25 or so, we can get at least one more 2nd

• Like 1

I would be on Cloud 9 if we drafted Bowers. Game changing TE's like him don't come around very often. He has the talent to become a Kelce or Gronk type, perhaps even like Dallas Clark. 

Other thoughts:

JJ McCarthy at #12?? Michael Penix JR and Bo Nix both are better. So, I don't get that one.

• Like 2

Roman Wilson in Round 1, not sure if that would be an overreaction to a Senior Bowl performance not backed up with extensive college production, not enough for my liking. That is something Ballard would do or would have done in the past, like with Banogu and Turay.

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would be on Cloud 9 if we drafted Bowers. Game changing TE's like him don't come around very often. He has the talent to become a Kelce or Gronk type, perhaps even like Dallas Clark. 

Other thoughts:

JJ McCarthy at #12?? Michael Penix JR and Bo Nix both are better. So, I don't get that one.

Yes, Brock Bowers definitely has that skillset you talked about. 

J J McCarthy, I do see Alex Smith like ceiling but more of a Colt McCoy floor. If you are thinking you will get the next Tom Brady, you are totally mistaken. Michael Penix Jr. is the 3rd best QB in this draft and if I am the Seahawks and he is there at my pick, I pull the trigger for the guy that played in my state. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yoshinator said:

Brock Bowers would be the right guy to take at 15 IMO. FA is extremely weak at TE, and we need a great one. Bowers would do wonders for the Colts.

Knowing Ballard I can see him adding a TE in FA.  I think he has done it in the past if I remember correctly.  Ebron maybe.  Anyway I could see him being interested in Noah Fant in FA.  He’s only 26 and a former 1st rd pick of the Broncos who was dealt to Seattle in the Wilson trade.  Hasn’t done much there but I think he could flourish with Steichen and AR.  He’s 6’4” , 249 and extremely fast.  Good blocker too.  I think this year there is a very good chance we trade our 1st pick for a player and add a number of very good starters in FA. 

• Like 1

I love when they drop the first mock. Looking at this at the end of April once the actual draft is always fun. Many names will be different. I would take Bowers with a smile though. Solid TE and great future weapon for someone. 

14 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I’m happy we don’t need a tackle. Hopefully it’ll mean a blue chip player falls to us. 

This is the second mock from nfl.com I’ve seen that had Bowers fall to us. I hope it happens. 

The Senior Bowl usually has some big shake ups on peoples big boards. Robinson and Wilson did really well this year along with a few others and we know Ballard favors Senior Bowl players, so maybe these guys are on his radar?

But in this scenario would you take Fashanu, move Raimann to right tackle, and cut Braden Smith? Smith has a $16M+ salary number this year, almost $20M next year. Cutting Smith saves $10M in the cap for the 2024 season. 

5 minutes ago, ColtV said:

But in this scenario would you take Fashanu, move Raimann to right tackle, and cut Braden Smith? Smith has a $16M+ salary number this year, almost $20M next year. Cutting Smith saves $10M in the cap for the 2024 season. 

But we need playmakers? You can't keep drafting Olinemen...

Better find a guy in the later rounds to develop. We have Freeland, but there are a few later round guys I could see the Colts take a shot at. We're not drafting a Olineman with the 15th overall. It's not happening.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Better find a guy in the later rounds to develop. We have Freeland, but there are a few later round guys I could see the Colts take a shot at. We're not drafting a Olineman with the 15th overall. It's not happening.

Besides, you don't introduce more variables when you don't have to.

This OL group, minus the right guard position that got better too, didn't give us too many issues that screamed to us that a first round OL was necessary. The cupboard is definitely not empty, might need reinforcements down the road for which a Day 2 or Day 3 pick would suffice when value presents itself.

With the first rounder, it is pass offense or pass defense playmakers, WR/TE/CB/Pass rusher with high value. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Not disagreeing about that need, I agree it is paramount. If Nabers were there at 15 absolutely, Bowers maybe(not crazy about tight ends this high) But I think about Ballard's draft style, and if the top 3 receivers and Bowers are gone, he's going offensive/defensive line. 

24 minutes ago, ColtV said:

Not disagreeing about that need, I agree it is paramount. If Nabers were there at 15 absolutely, Bowers maybe(not crazy about tight ends this high) But I think about Ballard's draft style, and if the top 3 receivers and Bowers are gone, he's going offensive/defensive line. 

If the Bowers + the top 3 WRs are gone (and we're not serious about Dline) we're trading back. There's no way we're going Oline with the first pick unless it ends up being in the 2nd round. I just don't believe it and if Ballard does go Oline in the first round I'm calling for him to be tarred and feathered...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

If the Bowers + the top 3 WRs are gone (and we're not serious about Dline) we're trading back. There's no way we're going Oline with the first pick unless it ends up being in the 2nd round. I just don't believe it and if Ballard does go Oline in the first round I'm calling for him to be tarred and feathered...

If Bowers and the Top 3 WRs are gone, it means a top notch CB or pass rusher has fallen, IMO. That is, assuming another team didn't try to move up or we refused their offer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

LOL I've made those calls before plenty of times before!

Trading down could be interesting. We are so, so early in this process that as much as I like Zierlein I'm not putting a lot of stock in this, but the ideal situation for a trade down for the Colts is that there is a qb at 15 that somebody wants. Z has McCarthy at 12 and Penix dropping to the 2nd, not sure if I buy either slotting yet, but that's where the gold mine would be for Indy if the trade down happens. 

6 hours ago, Solid84 said:

We need OL that can protect our young quarterback.  History has proven that fact for the Colts.  Andrew Luck had enough and called it quits during preseason.  Tarik Glenn decided to retire and not report for training camp. 

Ryan Kelly was asked about his future immediately after this season.  What's to say we either draft his replacement and he changes his mind and decides to retire now that he has had the offseason to think about his health.  When Castonzo retired we struggled the few seasons.  Had the choice to take Christian Darrisaw but opted for Paye.  Personally, am on the JPJ bandwagon and wouldn't mind the Colts taking him with P15.  Brock Bowers all day every day at P15 but let's be realistic a generational player like Bowers doubt gets past P10.  JPJ not flashy but does provide some mental piece of mind and safety net to our offensive line.  Still not sure about Kelly's healthy and how much he can continue.  Cap space-wise, even trade option, or simply preparing for the future now, Colts might look to bring on Tyler Biadasz (Cowboys) in free agency.  Mitigate some risk and replace Kelly with a comparable player who comes from a team that ran the RPO 9.01% of the time compared to the Colts 11.58% and would even save on cap space per current contract projections adding Biadasz.  Quarterback protection is a must.  We NEED to address the issue sooner than later and upgrade our RG play and seriously think about center position as well.  Looking ahead to next year's draft class for centers, now way want Carson Hinzman (OSU) or even Seth McLaughlin (Alabama).  JPJ is the best you're going to see in a while and since he declared this year makes him a top consensus pick.  

Shall see whose voice wins out in the Colts war room on draft day and which BPA get drafted. 

15 hours ago, Indeee said:

Our TE room? Ha!! The entire team could use a guy like this. Generation TE/Skill player. Colts should do whatever it takes to land this guy. Kelce, Kittle anyone... I mean come on.. 

If he is within reach, we need to pounce

Do agree we stand our ground at P15 and take him but now way we trade up just for him alone.  Trading back on Day 2 and hopefully picking up an extra Round 3 pick sure.  Bowers has been atop my big draft board for the past few years.  When talking heads speak of generational talent hard not to ignore the hype.  The same goes for legacies.  End of the day got to be a realist.  

TE Ja’Tavion Sanders in Round 2 probably wouldn't be a bad consolation prize.  Texas was one of the top RPO offenses in 2023.  Sarkisian used Sanders on these slide concepts to help generate 54 total catches, the most for a TE in program history.  Used to coming across formation to get matched up on a high safety.  Time will tell and what direction (offseason additions/subtractions) and the draft produces for us fans. 

2 hours ago, OhioColt said:

We need OL that can protect our young quarterback.  History has proven that fact for the Colts.  Andrew Luck had enough and called it quits during preseason.  Tarik Glenn decided to retire and not report for training camp. 

Ryan Kelly was asked about his future immediately after this season.  What's to say we either draft his replacement and he changes his mind and decides to retire now that he has had the offseason to think about his health.  When Castonzo retired we struggled the few seasons.  Had the choice to take Christian Darrisaw but opted for Paye.  Personally, am on the JPJ bandwagon and wouldn't mind the Colts taking him with P15.  Brock Bowers all day every day at P15 but let's be realistic a generational player like Bowers doubt gets past P10.  JPJ not flashy but does provide some mental piece of mind and safety net to our offensive line.  Still not sure about Kelly's healthy and how much he can continue.  Cap space-wise, even trade option, or simply preparing for the future now, Colts might look to bring on Tyler Biadasz (Cowboys) in free agency.  Mitigate some risk and replace Kelly with a comparable player who comes from a team that ran the RPO 9.01% of the time compared to the Colts 11.58% and would even save on cap space per current contract projections adding Biadasz.  Quarterback protection is a must.  We NEED to address the issue sooner than later and upgrade our RG play and seriously think about center position as well.  Looking ahead to next year's draft class for centers, now way want Carson Hinzman (OSU) or even Seth McLaughlin (Alabama).  JPJ is the best you're going to see in a while and since he declared this year makes him a top consensus pick.  

Shall see whose voice wins out in the Colts war room on draft day and which BPA get drafted. 

We have TWO top 10 tackles. We need depth, sure, but that's not what the 15th overall pick is for...

Top priority is playmakers on both side of the ball. Oline is for later in the draft this season.

• Like 4

Bowers at 15 would be amazing but I’m not sure he will be there. Most mock drafts have Bowers projected to go as early as 5th to the Chargers or the Broncos at 12. 

I think we go defense with the 15th pick. After the senior bowl most likely a CB. 

15 hours ago, ColtV said:

Why the hell would you cut one of the best and most consistent RTs in the league? You can probably get a 1st or 2nd round pick for him if you make him available for trade? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

Bowers at 15 would be amazing but I’m not sure he will be there. Most mock drafts have Bowers projected to go as early as 5th to the Chargers or the Broncos at 12. 

I think we go defense with the 15th pick. After the senior bowl most likely a CB. 

I agree on Bowers

I am not so sure on taking a CB early, though I was thinking that was an option earlier

If you think about it. this defense is 90-95% Zone

A true man cover CB would be completely wasted in this defense, unless they are planning to open up the defense to be unpredictable (Switch to man to man, and blitz)

I think its more likely that that they go with someone in round 2 or 3 like TJ Tampa, or Kyree Jackson who are zone CBs, 6'2" corners that can play the run and pass, built to be successful in this defense 

I also think Bowers is gone, and I also think that the team trades back to get an additional 2nd round player

The later first round pick (20 ish) could go to Kinchens (Much needed FS) , Brian Thomas (My first choice), or AD Mitchell

If we dont add to this defense at DE in FA, I can see us also using the 15th  pick on Latu (If he passes medicals) or Dallas Turner (I think both of these guys may be gone)

Both could be that year 1 situational pass rusher for 2nd and 3rd and long

But who know what the Colts will do..........

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I agree on Bowers

I am not so sure on taking a CB early, though I was thinking that was an option earlier

A true man cover CB would be completely wasted in this defense, unless they are planning to open up the defense to be unpredictable (Switch to man to man, and blitz)

I think its more likely that that they go with someone in round 2 or 3 like TJ Tampa, or Kyree Jackson who are zone CBs, 6'2" corners that can play the run and pass, built to be successful in this defense 

Yeah, the more we think about it is that it will be a WR/TE/pass rusher that drops, and of course a trade down possibility opens up more options like DT. I agree with most of what you said.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, the more we think about it is that it will be a WR/TE/pass rusher that drops, and of course a trade down possibility opens up more options like DT. I agree with most of what you said.

I think there are still way too many unknowns right.  For starters we still need the combine to happen which will shake up the draft.  Then we will probably get some clues with who the Colts keep and don’t keep in free agency.  For instance if Grover or Pittman leaves they have to replace them.  They could do that in free agency but if they don’t look for the 1st round pick to be spent in that area.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think there are still way too many unknowns right.  For starters we still need the combine to happen which will shake up the draft.  Then we will probably get some clues with who the Colts keep and don’t keep in free agency.  For instance if Grover or Pittman leaves they have to replace them.  They could do that in free agency but if they don’t look for the 1st round pick to be spent in that area.

Yeah, most of us anticipate, that Ballard would "slightly" be more aggressive than other off seasons to go after the FAs this team needs. That will have an impact on the draft, no doubt.

DL takes seasoning, so a DT from the draft is very highly unlikely to supplant an established Grover that is used to NFL OL strength and moves, IMO. If you are looking at FA for DT, I have a feeling Ballard would rather bet on the one he knows unless Grover and his side are very unreasonable, which I doubt it because the market won't be too hot for him with his limited role. 

WRs, if we had the depth, letting go of Pittman would be plausible but I think we have cornered ourselves unless we intend to go after a FA, which you know is not Ballard's ammo. Rewarding his consistency will be high priority for Ballard, no matter what happens at the combine, and free agency that Ballard doesn't dip much into, at least not for marquee WRs so far.

19 hours ago, ColtV said:

You're funny.

Smith gets $13.6M in 24 with a $6M cap hit.

Do the math.

And we would owe him $16.75 in 2025.

He graded overall 80+, which makes him a high end RT.

He is highly tradeable. Not happening.

9 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

You're funny.

Smith gets $13.6M in 24 with a $6M cap hit.

Do the math.

And we would owe him $16.75 in 2025.

He graded overall 80+, which makes him a high end RT.

He is highly tradeable. Not happening.

And I'm pretty good looking too!

I'm getting my number from Spotrac. It's showing he has $6M left in signing bonus, not seeing any other guaranteed money. I welcome any addl contract info out there.

He did grade out well last year, no disagreement there. He also missed 7 games and has missed 14 over the last 3 years. If he misses 5 games again next year at a $17M cap hit is that worth it? Trading him is possible, you'd have to have someone with need and the available cap space. Not sure about what compensation the Colts could expect either.

To be clear, I've got nothing against Smith. Just putting an idea out there for discussion. I don't believe any player on this roster is untouchable. 

3 hours ago, stitches said:

Why the hell would you cut one of the best and most consistent RTs in the league? You can probably get a 1st or 2nd round pick for him if you make him available for trade? 

If someone offered the Colts a 1st round pick for Smith, even a 2nd, they should absolutely jump on it. I'm just dont see anyone doing that. 

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

I truly hope that we go FA DE….. that makes so much sense to me

but.

CB has NEVER opened the wallet for an expensive FA.  

That means that a drafted DE is probably the way he will go

Latu or Turner might be the answer for 2024 for passing downs.  

One or the other should be available at 15

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I truly hope that we go FA DE….. that makes so much sense to me

but.

CB has NEVER opened the wallet for an expensive FA.  

That means that a drafted DE is probably the way he will go

Latu or Turner might be the answer for 2024 for passing downs.  

One or the other should be available at 15

I believe Ballard has NEVER opened his wallet for an expensive FA because he didn’t think his team was close enough where he thought such an investment was the right time.  I think he is now confident he has the quarterback and coach and solid nucleus of a team to make those kind of moves.  I would bet he feels his window has just opened and the next few years will be his opportunity to make some aggressive moves to go for that Super Bowl.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I agree on Bowers

I also think Bowers is gone, and I also think that the team trades back to get an additional 2nd round player

The later first round pick (20 ish) could go to Kinchens (Much needed FS) , Brian Thomas (My first choice), or AD Mitchell

If we dont add to this defense at DE in FA, I can see us also using the 15th  pick on Latu (If he passes medicals) or Dallas Turner (I think both of these guys may be gone)

Both could be that year 1 situational pass rusher for 2nd and 3rd and long

But who know what the Colts will do..........

Exactly what I'm thinking.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I believe Ballard has NEVER opened his wallet for an expensive FA because he didn’t think his team was close enough where he thought such an investment was the right time.  I think he is now confident he has the quarterback and coach and solid nucleus of a team to make those kind of moves.  I would bet he feels his window has just opened and the next few years will be his opportunity to make some aggressive moves to go for that Super Bowl.

I hope you are right!!!

45 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

He will make moves to get us in line to win the division, definitely. Just not sure if those would be giant leaps or small steps. If I had to guess, they will be bigger steps than the past incrementally but small enough that most of us fans and you won't exactly get what you want. :) 

Instead of investing in 3 or 4 mid tier FAs, I would rather him invest in 1 or 2 big FAs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

He will make moves to get us in line to win the division, definitely. Just not sure if those would be giant leaps or small steps. If I had to guess, they will be bigger steps than the past incrementally but small enough that most of us fans and you won't exactly get what you want. :) 

Instead of investing in 3 or 4 mid tier FAs, I would rather him invest in 1 or 2 big FAs.

I would be very happy if we signed 2 big FA’s.  One defense one offense both new starters and playmakers.  I think there is a great chance there are going to be players that fit my wishes and team needs that will make it to FA.  There are many teams with great players who will hit FA at the same time.  Some teams with serious cap issues complementing matters.  Hopefully some make it to FA and we get our opportunity.

On 2/7/2024 at 10:54 AM, chad72 said:

Yes, Brock Bowers definitely has that skillset you talked about. 

J J McCarthy, I do see Alex Smith like ceiling but more of a Colt McCoy floor. If you are thinking you will get the next Tom Brady, you are totally mistaken. Michael Penix Jr. is the 3rd best QB in this draft and if I am the Seahawks and he is there at my pick, I pull the trigger for the guy that played in my state. 

I think Penix bombs in the NFL. Nice college player but I just don’t think his game translates. 

Just my opinion