Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Houston offsides

I've seen that pic and it's quite a stretch. 

It really doesn't matter. If this Offense would've done something in the first half, they never would've been in that situation. 

Here's a video of it I just found. Recommend you mute though 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

I do not know how to repost but there is footage on X that shows the Houston DE lining up offsides on the 4th and 1 Play. He does appear to affect the throw.  They line up offsides on several occasions.

They only call that on teams they want to lose. Didn't you get the memo, chuckling homer simpson GIF- FWIW, I rewatched the play, Houston was offsides but the REFS probably didn't want to decide the game on a penalty because you can barely tell. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

I've seen that pic and it's quite a stretch. 

It really doesn't matter. If this Offense would've done something in the first half, they never would've been in that situation. 

Here's a video of it I just found. Recommend you mute though 

Why do you say "it's quite a stretch." I can understand maybe thinking it's photoshopped but I don't understand why you are saying that .....

He is clearly offsides.  But ultimately it’s much to do about nothing.  We couldn’t capitalize on a subpar secondary the way they were able to capitalize on our subpar secondary. That’s the difference ultimately.

The throw was on Minshew. Horrible pass of many that game. The throw still hit our guy in the hands. Both players failed even if the guy was offsides. I hate the refs, but in this situation I blame the players. The play was there to be had and those two guys fell on their faces, and the RB quite literally. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Obviously, the Booth didn’t see it but if some of the players on the Colts side would have been pointing at it, it may have been reviewed. There certainly is no guarantee if we get that first down, we’re gonna score a touchdown. Uncle Rico was just horrible in passing accuracy, I know he admitted he should’ve admitted better, but he really should have put that on himself completely, and let Goodson off because Goodson was moving to his left towards the sidelines. All momentum was going that direction and uncle Rico just threw it behind him. that’s a very difficult past  to catch I played high school football as a safety and I’ll tell you those catches are very hard to make because you have 200 pounds of momentum going to the left in the ball is thrown to the right I’m sorry that’s the veteran not the rookie 

• Like 2

We probably would be playing Cleveland without Smith , Brents and maybe even a banged up Taylor. It stings badly but we were going nowhere anyway . At least we picked up 5-6 spots in the draft. We could have an elite  WR , Edge , or CB drop to us.

2 hours ago, dw49 said:

We probably would be playing Cleveland without Smith , Brents and maybe even a banged up Taylor. It stings badly but we were going nowhere anyway . At least we picked up 5-6 spots in the draft. We could have an elite  WR , Edge , or CB drop to us.

Hard to say how far we would go as 4 seed, likely beat Clev though not a gimme and then possibly on to balt in rematch which we may win again or may not. Truth is no club in NFL is a dominant team this year, Buffalo struggling mightly,Miami banged up beyond recognition, KC offense is broke. Pitt is bad....

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

They only call that on teams they want to lose. Didn't you get the memo, chuckling homer simpson GIF- FWIW, I rewatched the play, Houston was offsides but the REFS probably didn't want to decide the game on a penalty because you can barely tell. 

that is why Mahomes was mad that they called it on Kadarius Toney. Little does he realize that the league wants someone other than the Chiefs to win it this year, lol :) 

• Like 3

Amonst other consistently missed calls,  They need to fix this issue next season. Players lineup offsides on both sides of the ball in every game! They need to put some sort of field length laser pointer or something on the LOS to separate each side, and not just the invisible one on tv where the camera angle can be misleading! But whatever, NFL probably wont care enough to make any drastic changes to these inconsistency issues!

• Like 1

The non call of offsides clearly does matter and he was definitely offsides. 1st down. Houston has to start using their timeouts.  Every change of possession inside 2 minutes should be reviewed.  Has ANYONE in the media or league commented about it. His entire hand was offsides. They have called that penalty this year a few times, just ask Mahomes. Go back to the afc championship game a few years ago k.c vs  the patriots, k.c. player lined up offsides brady threw the other wynn got intercepted , the offsides had nothing to do with the play but it was called a penalty.  The colts had other opportunities, but they were robbed a chance to win

Does not matter. The passing game for the Colts was terrible all game.

Minshew had 45 yards at halftime!!! That’s not because the Texans were lining up offsides.

The Colts were not good enough plain and simple and even got a fair share of calls.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dw49 said:

Why do you say "it's quite a stretch." I can understand maybe thinking it's photoshopped but I don't understand why you are saying that .....

He's stretching out over the line ...? :)

Poor choice of words on my part obviously

2 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

He's stretching out over the line ...? :)

Poor choice of words on my part obviously

Okay, someone else DID see what I saw:woah:

Why did the Texans field goal kicker miss that easy peasy, less than his 50+ field goal, I could have made it even with my left leg which now has a new titanium hip, his only job that he did all season long?

NO, no, no, this game WAS NOT rigged:cash:!

It is time for full time officials that are not over 65 years old. The technology exists now to show offsides if it happens its also time to have the officials in the booth to call obvious plays back to on field referee. This is 2024 and its time to correct obvious errors 

Every play in the last two minutes should always be monitored IE the blatant PI call on Baker when he did not impeded Cooper. That cost us the game and people are becoming more and more disgusted with this. The Lions game looked like it was fixed by bookies. They took several minutes to decide that it was illegal touching but that player reported to the official and Goff told them to and the referee walked away from them. Trust is at an all time low 

1 hour ago, indyagent17 said:

It is time for full time officials that are not over 65 years old. The technology exists now to show offsides if it happens its also time to have the officials in the booth to call obvious plays back to on field referee. This is 2024 and its time to correct obvious errors  

Yeah get some broccoli haired 20 something dudes to ref and they wouldn't call anything because they'd be on their phones the whole time doing duck faces acting hard on IG.

Then the game would be bussin......no cap! 

bb1.png

2 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Every play in the last two minutes should always be monitored IE the blatant PI call on Baker when he did not impeded Cooper. That cost us the game and people are becoming more and more disgusted with this. The Lions game looked like it was fixed by bookies. They took several minutes to decide that it was illegal touching but that player reported to the official and Goff told them to and the referee walked away from them. Trust is at an all time low 

What happened in Lions - Cowboys game was, even before the play, the referee mentioned to Cowboys defense that Dan Skipper was eligible, and it was even announced in the stadium before the play, JUST AS USUAL. Just by the rules correctly. 

Referees were taking long time after the play because Dan Campbell was on the field arguing with them for many minutes. 

Lions HC Dan Campbell should've called Time-out when at least his staff could've heard the announcement. Lions could've called Time-out, but they probably couldn't because they wasted 2 timeouts earlier on Cowboys 4th & Long downs, when Cowboys ended up not going for play anyway. 

Dan Skipper was reported as eligible because he came out of bench for the 2-point conversion play, so referee was correctly looking at him and skipper showed the universal sign as eligible receiver (for Lions, that was decoy). And, Decker called himself eligible receiver at the same time to the referee, but the referee was doing his job correctly looking at the OL guy with number 70 Jersey coming off the bench for that play alone.

If I'm the referee, I'm going to look at the extra 6th OL coming off the bench and ask him if he's eligible, because that's my duty before the play clock starts to then report to opponent team and the officials as well. That's how it works actually. 

Lions - Cowboys game was called correctly by the rules by the referees. 

If another opponent does the same deception against the Colts to score a last minute TD to win the game, and if referee goes along with their team's deception, you'd then feel that would be wrong.

Basically, Lions wanted to cheat and win, calling it as brilliant deception, WELL, it was wrong and doing that wouldn't be fair to the defense in Football! If you want to win, call a fair play, deceive within rules and execute it perfectly. That's Football. That play and the referee's decision actually increased my trust in them. 

As for all the Offsides, PIs and numerous other ambiguous calls that are called or not called, you're right. These inconsistencies will not go away until they use technology a LOT and have referees call it out real time from the booth if the on-field referee had missed it. That'd require referees to be paid full time, which NFL should. Why NFL doesn't make them full-time employees is a concern.

I don't blame the referees for the inconsistencies. They're not fixing game. It's impossible to call every play accurately in a game, that involves so many ambiguities and perception differences. If they miss a call, it usually means that they're just humans and they can't see every little thing happening with 22 players on the field at the same time.

that's how it is. 

14 hours ago, Smonroe said:

It would have been a first down, but he wasn’t going to score.

Which means we probably would have a completely different play to complain about if they didn’t score.  

Maybe we run Spider 2 Y Banana after that with Franklin as the fast to the flat HB.  Game over!  Works every time like Gruden said.

27 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

What happened in Lions - Cowboys game was, even before the play, the referee mentioned to Cowboys defense that Dan Skipper was eligible, and it was even announced in the stadium before the play, JUST AS USUAL. Just by the rules correctly. 

Referees were taking long time after the play because Dan Campbell was on the field arguing with them for many minutes. 

Lions HC Dan Campbell should've called Time-out when at least his staff could've heard the announcement. Lions could've called Time-out, but they probably couldn't because they wasted 2 timeouts earlier on Cowboys 4th & Long downs, when Cowboys ended up not going for play anyway. 

Dan Skipper was reported as eligible because he came out of bench for the 2-point conversion play, so referee was correctly looking at him and skipper showed the universal sign as eligible receiver (for Lions, that was decoy). And, Decker called himself eligible receiver at the same time to the referee, but the referee was doing his job correctly looking at the OL guy with number 70 Jersey coming off the bench for that play alone.

If I'm the referee, I'm going to look at the extra 6th OL coming off the bench and ask him if he's eligible, because that's my duty before the play clock starts to then report to opponent team and the officials as well. That's how it works actually. 

Lions - Cowboys game was called correctly by the rules by the referees. 

If another opponent does the same deception against the Colts to score a last minute TD to win the game, and if referee goes along with their team's deception, you'd then feel that would be wrong.

Basically, Lions wanted to cheat and win, calling it as brilliant deception, WELL, it was wrong and doing that wouldn't be fair to the defense in Football! If you want to win, call a fair play, deceive within rules and execute it perfectly. That's Football. That play and the referee's decision actually increased my trust in them. 

As for all the Offsides, PIs and numerous other ambiguous calls that are called or not called, you're right. These inconsistencies will not go away until they use technology a LOT and have referees call it out real time from the booth if the on-field referee had missed it. That'd require referees to be paid full time, which NFL should. Why NFL doesn't make them full-time employees is a concern.

I don't blame the referees for the inconsistencies. They're not fixing game. It's impossible to call every play accurately in a game, that involves so many ambiguities and perception differences. If they miss a call, it usually means that they're just humans and they can't see every little thing happening with 22 players on the field at the same time.

that's how it is. 

This is a fair assessment with the exception that the eligible player has to be called out to the defense.  The deception was a moot point in that case.  I just think DC wasn’t expecting the deception to work on the ref.  But as you said,  it’s clear as day they announced 70 as eligible before the play and it was audible even on TV.  The bigger question is why the Lions staff didn’t notice this.  

I think the deception was meant to get Dallas to focus on 70 even though 68 had been reported.  Not sure it would have worked but still a tough break for Detroit.