Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vikings were going to give up farm for Richardson

3 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Unless that trade involved Jefferson, then I think we still made the right move. 

This wasn’t up to colts. They tried to trade with cardinals to move ahead of colts. They didn’t want to take it because cardinals thought they would be too good. Turns out the Texans are also too good.  But Cardinals got the player they would have taken at 3 anyway. 

21 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The caption on this is wrong though. Can’t trade 5 future first round picks. But looks like they tried to trade with Arizona.

Yeah, you can only trade a 3 years period of picks prior to the draft.

However you can trade 4 years worth, once the draft starts.

So if they could trade a 2nd and future 2nd for a 1st as well?

Probably could of made it work if they really wanted to. Sounds like they really wanted to 

Maybe something like this:(after draft starts)

2023 1st

2024 1st

2025 1st

2026 1st

Hunter

Then a separate trade like this:

2023 2nd

2024 2nd

2025 3rd

For the extra 1st needed for offer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I imagine Ballard knew all of this too. Probably was sweating when he heard a trade. Cardinals did the right thing.  Got some extra picks and the player they wanted. Ballard must of liked Levis enough that he was ok not trading up. 

Yeah. On with the next pick, Ballard was super nervous about a trade up at 3. I was assuming at the time, that it was a trade up from a team like the Raiders or Titans. I don't think we were thinking about the Vikings being that team as the series never mentioned them. However, as you said, Ballard probably knew about it, and was excited when it was the Texans trading up after they already took Stroud.

• Like 2

Hypothetically if the Colts were offered 5 1st round picks plus Danielle Hunter I might have taken that. That’s a huge haul for one player, and who’s to say one of those 1st round picks wouldn’t land you another even better franchise QB. I love Richardson but he’s gotta stay healthy before I’ll say he’s worth more than 5 1st round picks. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yeah. On with the next pick, Ballard was super nervous about a trade up at 3. I was assuming at the time, that it was a trade up from a team like the Raiders or Titans. I don't think we were thinking about the Vikings being that team as the series never mentioned them. However, as you said, Ballard probably knew about it, and was excited when it was the Texans trading up after they already took Stroud.

He may have been super nervous, but he wasn’t so worried that he felt the need to trade up one spot to insure he got AR.   He stayed put and still got the player he wanted.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He may have been super nervous, but he wasn’t so worried that he felt the need to trade up one spot to insure he got AR.   He stayed put and still got the player he wanted.  

Yep, and that probably allowed us to keep our third-round pick or so (which was the difference in getting Downs).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

“who do you think you are going to get at #4?” -reporter 

“I think we’re going to get the best player in the draft.” Chris Ballard 

the guy does not lack confidence, at all. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Hypothetically if the Colts were offered 5 1st round picks plus Danielle Hunter I might have taken that. That’s a huge haul for one player, and who’s to say one of those 1st round picks wouldn’t land you another even better franchise QB. I love Richardson but he’s gotta stay healthy before I’ll say he’s worth more than 5 1st round picks. 

Honestly if it was the max they could offer(3 1sts) prior to the draft and Hunter that's a very hard offer to say no to. That is a stunning amount of draft capital to refuse.

Polian did say No to the Mike Ditka offer of giving up the entire draft for Ricky Williams, and got Edgerrin James. He probably would have landed Edge and the picks if he’d done that.

I love AR but if someone gave me Hunter and even 3 first rounders for starters, knowing that next draft is a good QB class, I will get Irsay’s blessing and take it. That’s just me, objectively speaking.

• Like 1

OK.  The only way AZ turns down a trade offer like that is if THEY wanted a player at 3.  Its doubtful that even they would hold back from accepting that much capital for one player they liked.  Not even the best player in the draft...but at best the 3rd best.

But AZ did not like a player.  They were selling the pick to the highest bidder.  When you advertise that you are selling to the highest bidder, you sell the pick to the highest bidder.  There is no keeping the pick.  DUH!

That offer would have blown away the offer they did accept.

No way the offer is true.  

It's Colts playoff time, so its Colts hype time.  The media/ X bots rev up the portion of the fan base who will believe anything positive said about the Colts.  Good timing to float this absurd rumor.

• Like 5

This is the first I heard of this and I am a Vikings fan. I also have subscriptions to the Athletic and other sites. I never heard this. No way should we give 5 picks and Hunter for one player, regardless of who the player is.

Btw, the guy who wrote that spelled Hunter's name wrong; so, I am even less inclined to believe this. His name is Danielle Hunter, not Daniel.

@VikingsFanInChennai  have you heard/read that?

10 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The caption on this is wrong though. Can’t trade 5 future first round picks. But looks like they tried to trade with Arizona.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

This is the first I heard of this and I am a Vikings fan. I also had subscriptions to the Athletic and other sites. I never heard this. No way should we give 5 picks and Hunter for one player, regardless of who the player is.

Btw, the guy who wrote that spelled Hunter's name wrong; so, I am even less inclined to believe this. His name is Danielle Hunter, not Daniel.

As someone said, trading five first round picks doesn't even seem possible, lol 

There's probably truth to Vikings checking for the asking price to move up the draft.

If they were looking for other QB options, that augurs well as Vikings now have better QB class and draft position for the upcoming draft class. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

As someone said, trading five first round picks doesn't even seem possible, lol 

There's probably truth to Vikings checking for the asking price to move up the draft.

If they were looking for other QB options, that augurs well as Vikings now have better QB class and draft position for the upcoming draft class. 

But you did not hear about this particular trade? That is like that regrettable and ridiculous Hershel Walker trade. But that was more than 30 years ago. Nowadays drafts picks have a lot more value than in the past. I would have no problem with replacing KAM if he gave up all those picks for any one player. (I like continuity and don't like firing coaches, GMs, etc, but that kind of a trade would be a firable move.)

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

But you did not hear about this particular trade? That is like that Hershel Walker trade. Nowadays drafts picks have a lot more value than in the past. I would have no problem with replacing KAM if he gave up all those picks for any one player. (I like continuity and don't like firing coaches, GMs, etc, but that kind of a trade would be a firable move.)

No, It'd have been known if true.

Yes, that'd not help even if they get a HOFer. Even Rams and 49ers gave up only half of that, and they had a proven coach and offensive system who has gone to Super Bowl. First round picks are important, very valuable.

Vikings can give up other rounds and future picks (from 2nd round onwards) to move up in the draft and get a good QB. That'd be enough. If they're gonna be spending even one more first round draft pick, they better be drafting a franchise QB and they're sure about their evaluation 100%

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

But you did not hear about this particular trade? That is like that regrettable and ridiculous Hershel Walker trade. But that was more than 30 years ago. Nowadays drafts picks have a lot more value than in the past. I would have no problem with replacing KAM if he gave up all those picks for any one player. (I like continuity and don't like firing coaches, GMs, etc, but that kind of a trade would be a firable move.)

I'm already ticked off with all the QBs like Hall, Mond, etc., knowingly wasting day 2 picks for backup QBs when this season proved how many capable QBs are waiting to start few games in an emergency. Think of all the other positions that Vikings could've improved when they're average overall. Thank goodness, Flores did a great job in making a play-off contender out of that defensive group. 

They better evaluate QB very well before spending any draft pick higher than a day 3 draft pick. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That's highly unlikely. The Vikings aren't that kind of team to desparetly try to do something like that. They shipped Cook out and can't wait to move on from Cousins.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I seen that video. 

It showed just how thrifty Ballard and the colts are.. Wanted and coveted AR5 so much and didn't want him to be a superstar with some other team BUT still too cheap to make a deal to move up a pick or two to finally get the most important position in sports which they have suffered at since luck retired on them. But fortunately it worked out and he was there for them and they kept their picks too.

That was too risky imo. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I'm already ticked off with all the QBs like Hall, Mond, etc., knowingly wasting day 2 picks for backup QBs when this season proved how many capable QBs are waiting to start few games in an emergency. Think of all the other positions that Vikings could've improved when they're average overall. Thank goodness, Flores did a great job in making a play-off contender out of that defensive group. 

They better evaluate QB very well before spending any draft pick higher than a day 3 draft pick. 

Btw, DN has a story on this now. Lol. Gates tends to write stories about what people on Twitter and other sites write. 

15 hours ago, NFLfan said:

This is the first I heard of this and I am a Vikings fan. I also have subscriptions to the Athletic and other sites. I never heard this. No way should we give 5 picks and Hunter for one player, regardless of who the player is.

Sounds like a bogus story.

Why would anyone trade 5 first round picks and hunter for a guy who had a very mediocre college resume ?

AR is was all measurables at the time of the draft, nothing more.

21 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Sounds like a bogus story.

Why would anyone trade 5 first round picks and hunter for a guy who had a very mediocre college resume ?

AR is was all measurables at the time of the draft, nothing more.

Tom Pelissero apparently disputed that. He has a relationship with the Vikings. He said the GM did want Richardson but the GM was not going to give up all those assets. Who would not accept five first round picks and Danielle Hunter?  Perhaps they meant 5 draft picks (crazy too), but definitely not 5 first round picks.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2024 at 2:20 PM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If you believe that any team was prepared to trade 5 first rounders for Richardson, then i have some swamp land to sell you. I really doubt that the Colts were even offered that for Luck and he was generational. Also if they were offering 5 first rounds, lol, Carolina would have taken that