Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Playmaker need!!

boo2202

You guys can blame this game on the defense, Qb play, etc. But it comes down to playmakers. Outside of JT, we have 0 with pittman out. Minshew had time but receivers had 0 separation. For the ones not wanting to take a playmaker on offense in the 1st round makes zero sense. This team needs a playmaker.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, boo2202 said:

You guys can blame this game on the defense, Qb play, etc. But it comes down to playmakers. Outside of JT, we have 0 with pittman out. Minshew had time but receivers had 0 separation. For the ones not wanting to take a playmaker on offense in the 1st round makes zero sense. This team needs a playmaker.

Yes, the Colts need another playmaker, but somehow you managed to overlook Josh Downs.   He’s having a very good rookie year and he specializes in separation.  

The Colts will be better next year,  but let’s enjoy this season while we can.  

Need a QB who can make something happen when his favorite WR isn’t playing. There were open guys, but Minshew loves Pittman. 

Minshew is a really good 1 read QB, not a very good at scanning for another guy, and since he has horrible pocket awareness he just couldn’t overcome that. Since there was no Pittman, he didn’t know where to go with the ball. Just my two cents. 

overall, I felt like the whole team just didn’t want to be in Atlanta and was more worried about getting it over with so they could have Christmas with their families. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This has been a glaring issue during Chris Ballard's tenure as Colts GM since he was hired in 2017. AR5 and Jonathan Taylor are probably the only two game-changing play-makers the Colts have on offense skill but MPJ can be added to that conversation after the incredible season he's had in 2023. But the Colts need another game-changer at WR or TE. I feel like Jelani Woods has the potential to be a stud but we haven't seen him since 2022. I like our young TE group but if the Colts have a shot at getting Brock Bowers, I'm all in on drafting him in the first round or another WR to pair with Pittman, Pierce, and Downs. Steichen has shown he's the guy so Chris Ballard needs to realize that and make sure he does whatever it takes to go and get certain players Shane Steichen feels like could take this team to the next level. You need to take advantage of having your rookie QB in the second year of a rookie contract which means now is the time to go out and spend a little money and surround him with as much talent as possible.

• Like 1

More specifically, Colts need a consistent game breaker to replace Pierce, adding to Downs and Pittman, becoming the new true alpha of the receiving group.

And play design has to evolve so that the ball gets into the hands of the new alpha and into the hands of Downs while in stride.  Team needs some yds after the catch.

• Like 2

Every team can use another play maker. But I just caution to not put too much into it when colts have had a backup QB playing all year. The sad thing is we don’t even know the groups potential with AR out.   More of this I think is the QB issue is not really on the play makers. But it never hurts to add another one.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Every team can use another play maker. But I just caution to not put too much into it when colts have had a backup QB playing all year. The sad thing is we don’t even know the groups potential with AR out.   More of this I think is the QB issue is not really on the play makers. But it never hurts to add another one.

Minshew holds the team back for sure, but even when AR played, the lack of a true game changing receiver was evident. That’s why we hardly saw him uncork the deep ball, which is something that he’s really good at. Pierce has the speed but not the quickness or route running ability. Plus he’s got questionable hands. 

We need a playmaker at WR.  This off season Ballard should do what he did when he acquired Buckner and what the Bills did when they acquired Diggs.  Trade the 1st pick for a play maker.  This year a WR.  We will be drafting in the 20’s most likely so I would opt for getting a proven starting playmaker with the pick.  Get the proven playmaker for AR this off-season.  Make his job a little easier.

• Thanks 1

People talk about playmakers, moss has been more of a playmaker this year than Taylor. Pittman isn’t a playmaker that scares defenses, he is a possession receiver. I think the colts have the most limited backup qb that is starting now on any team. That gives me confidence in the colts offense when they have a top qb. I’m in the minority here in not wanting the colts to give Pittman a big contract.

• Like 1

Ballard Need to stop looking at WR who have exceptional off/top of the charts numbers and focus on WR who can run multiple tree's, and  CAN SERPARTE Themselves and have good hands!!! IIMHO it is not always about speed...I was hoping that Reggie would help our receivers more than we have seen... 

we could have had Cede Lamb

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yes. This team needs a Rome Odunze, Brian Thomas Jr., or Troy Franklin. Someone who can win on the outside with speed and route running. Someone who forces the opposing defensive coordinator to adjust to him.

In one of the draft threads, these were my top 3 receivers I think we should target!  They definitely fit the Ballard mold for tall receivers, speed, and athletic ability.  And they have shown in college they can win on the outside.  If either one of them are available, I hope we don’t trade back.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yes. This team needs a Rome Odunze, Brian Thomas Jr., or Troy Franklin. Someone who can win on the outside with speed and route running. Someone who forces the opposing defensive coordinator to adjust to him.

Franklin would be a nice get in the 2nd. Would much rather have a Malik Nabers if we go WR round 1. Not as big of a fan of Odunze. 

19 hours ago, boo2202 said:

Minshew was sacked a season high six time.  He was under pressure all day.  I’ll agree the Colts need a playmaker badly beyond Pittman in the receiving core but Minshew didn’t have all day back there.  The Falcons wiped the Colts line all day.  Again, I agree with your overall point but the line played their worst game of the year Sunday.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, richard pallo said:

We need a playmaker at WR.  This off season Ballard should do what he did when he acquired Buckner and what the Bills did when they acquired Diggs.  Trade the 1st pick for a play maker.  This year a WR.  We will be drafting in the 20’s most likely so I would opt for getting a proven starting playmaker with the pick.  Get the proven playmaker for AR this off-season.  Make his job a little easier.

What team is willing to trade a WR the caliber of Diggs?  The Colts can want but it takes two to make a trade.  Not saying someone won’t but it takes more than just saying they should trade for one!

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

What team is willing to trade a WR the caliber of Diggs?  The Colts can want but it takes two to make a trade.  Not saying someone won’t but it takes more than just saying they should trade for one!

Well the Vikings did didn’t they.  Of course it takes two.  That’s obvious Sherlock!  You make some calls and see what develops.  If it doesn’t it doesn’t.  At least you explore all of your options.  Good grief seriously.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Well the Vikings did didn’t they.  Of course it takes two.  That’s obvious Sherlock!  You make some calls and see what develops.  If it doesn’t it doesn’t.  At least you explore all of your options.  Good grief seriously.

No need to name call or get upset.  I didn’t say don’t explore all options either, in fact I said the opposite, I said I wouldn’t rule it out but just said just because the Colts want a star WR doesn’t mean one will be available.  

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

No need to name call or get upset.  I didn’t say don’t explore all options either, in fact I said the opposite, I said I wouldn’t rule it out but just said just because the Colts want a star WR doesn’t mean one will be available.  

I never said one would be available.  I said they should try and trade for one.  Capiche?

14 hours ago, Dark Superman said:

This has been a glaring issue during Chris Ballard's tenure as Colts GM since he was hired in 2017. AR5 and Jonathan Taylor are probably the only two game-changing play-makers the Colts have on offense skill but MPJ can be added to that conversation after the incredible season he's had in 2023. But the Colts need another game-changer at WR or TE. I feel like Jelani Woods has the potential to be a stud but we haven't seen him since 2022. I like our young TE group but if the Colts have a shot at getting Brock Bowers, I'm all in on drafting him in the first round or another WR to pair with Pittman, Pierce, and Downs. Steichen has shown he's the guy so Chris Ballard needs to realize that and make sure he does whatever it takes to go and get certain players Shane Steichen feels like could take this team to the next level. You need to take advantage of having your rookie QB in the second year of a rookie contract which means now is the time to go out and spend a little money and surround him with as much talent as possible.

Since JT went 31-161 yards in game 1 of 2022, he has managed just one 100-yard performance in 18 games. He’s gone 12 straight games without hitting 100. In his monster 2021-22 season, he broke 100 yards 10 times. I hope JT returns to that form because he is being paid to be elite, but it appears he is a game-changing playmaker in memory only. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Franklin would be a nice get in the 2nd. Would much rather have a Malik Nabers if we go WR round 1. Not as big of a fan of Odunze. 

MHJ and Nabers are not going to be available when we pick.  And if they are, I’m sure someone will trade ahead of us to grab them.  

not drafting any of those 3 mentioned in the original comment will be a failure because I assure you they won’t be available when it’s our turn in the second round.

watch, everyone is going to go need in the first round and then any first round graded receiver left in the 2nd will be grabbed up quickly.

22 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Minshew holds the team back for sure, but even when AR played, the lack of a true game changing receiver was evident. That’s why we hardly saw him uncork the deep ball, which is something that he’s really good at. Pierce has the speed but not the quickness or route running ability. Plus he’s got questionable hands. 

I totally agree about Pierce. I will say AR didn’t play long enough to show the deep ball threat. That takes time for any rookie QB to work into the offense. NFL DBs will pick off the deep throw if it isn’t performed correctly. There is so much that goes into the 8 and 9 routes than just chucking it.  I believe the Colts would be there now if AR stayed healthy but it isn’t something you want your rookie QB doing until he fully grasp NFL coverages and how to move safeties from the pocket. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I'm not sure if the lack of deep shots was due to AP being able to get open deep or that it just wasn't in the gameplan. It seemed like they were starting AR out with simple, short/intermediate gameplans, so I think it may have been on purpose and not just because we're lacking a deep threat. We've seen AP be wide open downfield all season and Minshew hardly ever see him.

2 hours ago, smittywerb said:

MHJ and Nabers are not going to be available when we pick.  And if they are, I’m sure someone will trade ahead of us to grab them.  

not drafting any of those 3 mentioned in the original comment will be a failure because I assure you they won’t be available when it’s our turn in the second round.

watch, everyone is going to go need in the first round and then any first round graded receiver left in the 2nd will be grabbed up quickly.

Yea, no chance Nabers is available anywhere near where we pick. He's going top 10 barring any significant injury between now and the draft.

Personally, I'm really liking Emeka Egbuka if he declares and if he falls to us. I took him in the 1st in my first mock draft and even though he's been primarily slot at OSU, I think he can be a starter on the outside. He's got decent size, very fast, fantastic route runner that creates separation, and good with the ball in his hands.