Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

David Carr's AFC Pro Bowl Roster

sb41champs

10 minutes ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

How weird is it that Nelson is the only starting OL that DIDN'T make his roster?  Oh, my bad, Fries didn't either, but my point is not exactly invalidated - three OLs made his roster and none of them were Big Q?

David Carr isn’t really known for good takes. He thinks Mariota is a better option than playing Hurts lol.

1 hour ago, JediXMan said:

David Carr isn’t really known for good takes. He thinks Mariota is a better option than playing Hurts lol.

Yeah that isn't a great take for sure. Was he talking about both being healthy, or if Jalen hurts a little bit, sit him down?

I will say, throwing wise, Hurts leaves a lot to be desired this year. 19TDs 12INTs, 89.9 QB rating. Decent 

I doubt we would hear him in such high regard if the tush push was/is gone. 27TDs(rushing) over last 2 years changes a lot.

He had a great season last year, but he like the rest of the Eagles are clearly missing Shane Steichen.

Be interesting to see if the tush push gets eliminated, just how much worse the Eagles would be next year. I suspect a lot worse, as that conversion rate on the tush push is unreal.

48 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yeah that isn't a great take for sure. Was he talking about both being healthy, or if Jalen hurts a little bit, sit him down?

I will say, throwing wise, Hurts leaves a lot to be desired this year. 19TDs 12INTs, 89.9 QB rating. Decent 

I doubt we would hear him in such high regard if the tush push was/is gone. 27TDs(rushing) over last 2 years changes a lot.

He had a great season last year, but he like the rest of the Eagles are clearly missing Shane Steichen.

Be interesting to see if the tush push gets eliminated, just how much worse the Eagles would be next year. I suspect a lot worse, as that conversion rate on the tush push is unreal.

I was talking to one of my friends who’s a Eagles fan I told them that team is to reliant on the play. They’re leaving potential big plays off the field for a couple yards here and there. Like the Colts 4th and 1 call we tricked the Bucs into thinking it was a run and instead it was a big gain to Big Mo. Eagles seem to lack creativity on offense and Shane was a big part of their success last season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

How weird is it that Nelson is the only starting OL that DIDN'T make his roster?  Oh, my bad, Fries didn't either, but my point is not exactly invalidated - three OLs made his roster and none of them were Big Q?

FWIW:

I believe Q is only grading out around 70 +/-. 

And my takeaway is that Q is not 100 percent.   That should be the only reason he’s not grading out higher.   The bigger question becomes, will Q ever be healthy again, and how many years will the franchise pay him roughly $20 mill per if he’s only grading out around 70?    

But those are questions for another day, certainly for the off season. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sb41champs said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-offensive-player-rankings-week-16-building-the-afc-2024-pro-bowl-games-roste

Former NFL QB and current NFL Analyst for NFL.com - David Carr - shares his choices for the 2024 NFL Pro Bowl - AFC Team

A whopping FOUR Indianapolis Colts make his roster!!

Nice to see Pittman get some love.   

Especially since roughly two months ago one of our top posters literally called Pitt a wr3 and then added the words AT BEST for emphasis.   

That sure didn’t age well….   

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Braden Smith has played like 3 games. It's pretty clear Carr's lineman votes are like 100% PFF based.

That is why eye test, is better than any metric system. If I sit 20 diehard football fans in a room, at worse 18 of them (90%) would say Nelson is better than Smith + Smith has been injured most of the season. Nelson set the bar for himself so high, when he plays good and not great, he looks bad to some people lmao . Nelson has quietly had a good year, just not his 1st team All-Pro type of season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

To be fair this hasn't been his best season though not his worst either.

Still great pass blocking but his run blocking has been average.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, DalTXColtsFan said:

WOW - I was SO excited about FOUR - that I failed to realize THAT!!

Quenton Nelson is SO MUCH more qualified for a Pro Bowl nod this season!!

11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is why eye test, is better than any metric system. If I sit 20 diehard football fans in a room, at worse 18 of them (90%) would say Nelson is better than Smith + Smith has been injured most of the season. Nelson set the bar for himself so high, when he plays good and not great, he looks bad to some people lmao . Nelson has quietly had a good year, just not his 1st team All-Pro type of season.

To me, when Nelson is reported to be “healthy” and is only grading about 70, then I think he’s only healthy enough to play.   But I’d guess he’s not close to really being himself.   I’m sure he’d never admit that he’s below par, that’s not his way….  

So something tells me he’s not quite right.  I don’t pretend to know what it is?   But the grades he posted in 18, 19, and 20 are what I think he should be close to when he’s really close to 100% himself. 

Just my two cents,  and it’s all opinion, but that’s what I believe. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

To me, when Nelson is reported to be “healthy” and is only grading about 70, then I think he’s only healthy enough to play.   But I’d guess he’s not close to really being himself.   I’m sure he’d never admit that he’s below par, that’s not his way….  

So something tells me he’s not quite right.  I don’t pretend to know what it is?   But the grades he posted in 18, 19, and 20 are what I think he should be close to when he’s really close to 100% himself. 

Just my two cents,  and it’s all opinion, but that’s what I believe. 

seems like i remember him having back trouble a year or so ago

• Like 1

On 12/21/2023 at 4:09 PM, DalTXColtsFan said:

Yeah, Nelson will be all-pro in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

seems like i remember him having back trouble a year or so ago

Yes…. 

Nelson has had some back issues.   He’s also had a broken foot and a high ankle sprain or two as well.  But my hunch is that he’s just not the type to admit when he’s less than 100 percent.  He just quietly plays as best as he can.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes…. 

Nelson has had some back issues.   He’s also had a broken foot and a high ankle sprain or two as well.  But my hunch is that he’s just not the type to admit when he’s less than 100 percent.  He just quietly plays as best as he can.  

I agree with you that he probably isn’t 100% and he won’t say anything about it. Diving a little deeper into this, I don’t think he will ever be back to what he was at a physical standpoint. First off he is only getting older, he isn’t old by any means but 27 is a lot different than 22-24 in football. NFL lineman take a beating and as their career goes on they have to deal with their bodies wearing down a bit. I think Nelson will learn to work around this with technique. He was basically mauling people into submission when he first entered the league. Seemed like every few plays he was pancaking someone and now it needs to be more of a redirection of the defensive player  Just the natural career progression of a guard in the NFL and he will figure all of this out. 

Someone mentioned if the team would keep paying him 20m a year with this slight decline in play. I believe 2025 is the first “out year”.  I personally feel he will play his entire contract unless there are huge injury concerns or we get lucky in the draft and a day 2 or 3 pick becomes elite. I see it much more likely Q signs and extension in 25 or 26 that lowers his cap hit and allows him to finish his career a Colt. He is loved here by fans and the organization and rightfully so. 

• Like 3

Q's PFF numbers are puzzling. Of course he used to grade out much higher. Given that, he should be grading out even higher now since he has Raimann and Kelly on either side playing well. So either PFF is using different methods to grade players or someone's been assigned to Q that is crazy critical. The other is that our fondness of him has blinded us a bit and he's playing just like he's graded. Which is good, nothing great. The eye test tells me he playing better than his grade but I admit I'm a huge Q fan. 

4 minutes ago, cbear said:

Q's PFF numbers are puzzling. Of course he used to grade out much higher. Given that, he should be grading out even higher now since he has Raimann and Kelly on either side playing well. So either PFF is using different methods to grade players or someone's been assigned to Q that is crazy critical. The other is that our fondness of him has blinded us a bit and he's playing just like he's graded. Which is good, nothing great. The eye test tells me he playing better than his grade. 

I can still see him pulling last week on a running play to the right side and he looked like he was going 100mph.  The secondary wanted no part of him.  The announcer’s even made a comment.  He is looking great pulling that’s for sure.

• Like 1