Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

College Basketball 2023-24 thread

On 2/18/2024 at 8:53 AM, holeymoley99 said:

Washington State is quietly putting together a very nice season out west, 2nd fewest NCAA Tournament appearances among power conferences (Also 2nd longest drought)  they sit second in the Pac 12 at 20-6  (11-4 Pac 12) with 7 wins in a row. They are led by Freshman cancer survivor Myles Rice.. here is a very nice read.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/court-report-myles-rice-beat-cancer-and-is-guiding-washington-state-to-its-first-ncaa-tournament-since-2008/

Cougars got job done, on to the 32.

On 1/21/2024 at 10:01 PM, holeymoley99 said:

Samford is playing some very good ball,may be a mid major to advance a few lines on March bracket.  17-2 and have won 17 in a row after 2 straight losses.  Bucky McMillian can coach and Achor Achor will be in the NBA soon. They have scored more points than any team this season avg 90.4 a game only Kentucky comes close.

Gave Kansas all they could handle and caught the national media's attention. Bucky Ball is here to stay this isnt a 1 year wonder team, this program is going to be here for awhile.

I might bet on MI again. They play North Carolina, so that could be interesting. Not sure how long MI will stay in the tournament. 

I thought about Kentucky, now I'm glad I decided not to bet on them. 

7 hours ago, teganslaw said:

I might bet on MI again. They play North Carolina, so that could be interesting. Not sure how long MI will stay in the tournament. 

I thought about Kentucky, now I'm glad I decided not to bet on them. 

I never count Izzo’s teams out in the tournament. They play a very frustrating style that keeps them in ball games, and seem to always have a player or two that can score when needed. They will give North Carolina fits tomorrow. 

I’m glad to see the one and done era of Kentucky faltering.

• Like 1

Good first step for the Boilermakers. Big night by Edey. His free throw shooting has to come around or it might bite them. 

Smith, Loyer, and Gillis have to play big in this tournament for them to continue moving forward. But if they get rolling, watch out. 

• Like 1

I placed another bet on MI. Went against the spread: North Carolina is favored by 4 points. I'm thinking the game could be closer than that, hoping that it's a good one. 

How did I get interested in March Madness? I never cared about this before, so no idea why I changed now. I guess I just like the risk (though small) of betting. I can afford to lose, so never bet any high amount. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, teganslaw said:

I placed another bet on MI. Went against the spread: North Carolina is favored by 4 points. I'm thinking the game could be closer than that, hoping that it's a good one. 

How did I get interested in March Madness? I never cared about this before, so no idea why I changed now. I guess I just like the risk (though small) of betting. I can afford to lose, so never bet any high amount. 

the run unc had to put them up 4 after down what was think 12 points was the difference. They pulled away and kept the Spartans at arms length the rest of the way. There have been some dang good games. I always like this time of year, and then it’s crickets until football, for me anyways. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, teganslaw said:

I'll be watching Purdue and Utah. Have no plans to wager on any games today, although i would like to see Purdue win. 

Well,  Purdue looked great today.  Everyone showed up.  If they can keep up that kind of intensity they will be a challenge for anyone.  

• Like 2

I was a diehard IU fan growing up since the late 70's- 2000 when Bobby Knight was there. I vaguely remember their undefeated season in 1976, I was only 4 years old when that happened. I remember the 1981 Championship like it was yesterday, and of course the 1987 Championship. Back then, IU fans hated Purdue. We treated it like a huge rivalry. With me it is different today though. If IU isn't any good, I root for Purdue. I hope Purdue wins it all being an Indiana school. 

• Thanks 1

I have Illinois over Marquette in finals. Shannon playing great and figured if Kolek could get rust off opening weekend they could run that side (Houston was so bad in Big 12 title game couldnt see them making final 4.  I have NC and Tenn. as other final 4. Have 7 of 8 of my elite 8 still going. Sitting in top 15% of all brackets

Been a good tournament so far.   A decent amount of big upsets and mostly good games.  My final four teams are still alive but I kinda went chalk in the later rounds.  Tennessee, North Carolina, Houston and UConn. 

Clemson and Arizona played a good game. For being #2, Arizona seemed off, as they missed  free throws and couldn't stop Clemson. The Wildcats rebounded in the second half, but it was too much for them to overcome. 

Another upset was Alabama beating North Carolina.  Many peoples' brackets are shattered by now.  

• Like 1

On 3/24/2024 at 7:20 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I was a diehard IU fan growing up since the late 70's- 2000 when Bobby Knight was there. I vaguely remember their undefeated season in 1976, I was only 4 years old when that happened. I remember the 1981 Championship like it was yesterday, and of course the 1987 Championship. Back then, IU fans hated Purdue. We treated it like a huge rivalry. With me it is different today though. If IU isn't any good, I root for Purdue. I hope Purdue wins it all being an Indiana school. 

I remember the 1975 season too.   Undefeated and then lost in the tournament.   I was crushed.   Then followed it up in 1976 going undefeated to the championship.   It was really amazing. 

• Like 2

On 3/27/2024 at 1:13 PM, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Never thought I'd see the end of the 1 and done era.. gotta be smart recruiting now

Not really any harder.  Kentucky just opens up the portal to the transfers.  No problem for them. 

9 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Impressive game last night.  They are just relentless. 

Purdue has to be the only program that has a highly rated 4 star recruit start most of his Junior year, return his senior year to play very little. Yet still willing to substitute in to give two fouls, substitute out with a smile on his face, high fiving teammates while enjoying a trip to an elite eight. 

Ethan Morton was a 4 star recruit, #3 in the state of Pennsylvania. Started all but 6 games last season, averaging 25 minutes a game. Could have transferred and been a key player at any program, but stayed for his senior year in a very diminished role. I think he knew how special this team was… 

• Like 3

Thinking ahead if it comes down to Purdue vs U CONN who has the advantage?  I don't mean diehard fans, instead am looking at this objectively, if that's possible. Both are #1 in their divisions, so it seems that might be too close to call.  

'

• Like 1

1 hour ago, teganslaw said:

Thinking ahead if it comes down to Purdue vs U CONN who has the advantage?  I don't mean diehard fans, instead am looking at this objectively, if that's possible. Both are #1 in their divisions, so it seems that might be too close to call.  

'

I think UConn is the favorite. They probably win 4 of a 7 game series. They are hands down favorites over anyone else should Purdue not make it. Edey is a tough matchup for anyone. He wears teams down and tests their depth. No one can defend him one on one, and if you double him, he is a lethal passer to a team that is shooting the ball extremely well. But UConn has a guy capable of slowing him down in Clingan. So they could defend Purdue as well as anybody, imo. Braden Smith is playing top notch ball right now. That matchup would entail him against Newton, who is a senior and experience point guard.

im not a die hard fan. I have good friends that went to Purdue and have followed them for some time. I want them to win. But UConn is an experienced title defender and plowing through competition as easily as Purdue is. Illinois will give us a good look at what UConn does against a big ten team. Illinois is capable of beating them if they play to their potential and catch UConn slipping some. I don’t expect it. I think they roll to the championship. The big test for Purdue is tomorrow against Tennessee, who they have beaten several straight times now, including this year. Tennessee has never made a final four, so it’s a big time game for both. I think they win against Duke/nc state in the final four. Getting there is the hardest part for Purdue. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, teganslaw said:

'

Tennessee may beat Purdue tomorrow.   

2 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Illinois was tied and decided they didn’t want to play anymore. 30-0 run for UConn to roll their way to the final four. 12 minutes left but my gosh.

Alot of people said Illinois was gonna be UConns hardest test. Their number 1 scoring guy was basically doing cardio the whole game.. UConn shot 3-17 from 3 and won by 25. This is the second time this tournament they've shot crap from 3 and blown the doors off a team.

After witnessing clean sweeps in 2004 and 2014 I joked this would be the year of another sweep but never actually believed it .. but our women are 1 game away from the final four... Playing with 5.. they have no bench because of injuries. Their starters play the entire game.. it might be fate 🤣

1 minute ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Alot of people said Illinois was gonna be UConns hardest test. Their number 1 scoring guy was basically doing cardio the whole game.. UConn shot 3-17 from 3 and won by 25. This is the second time this tournament they've shot crap from 3 and blown the doors off a team.

After witnessing clean sweeps in 2004 and 2014 I joked this would be the year of another sweep but never actually believed it .. but our women are 1 game away from the final four... Playing with 5.. they have no bench because of injuries. Their starters play the entire game.. it might be fate 🤣

it should have been their toughest test thus far in the tournament. Depending how the other side of the bracket goes, they might not have much competition at all this tournament…

Illinois fell apart and seemed to forget how to play the game. I’m not sure we’ll see a 30-0 run in the tournament for a while… especially with a final four birth on the line 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Lol Purdue plays like this all the time?! Barf... 20 fts for one dude?? 🤣

No, they usually outshoot teams from the perimeter. 

20 free throws for a guy that is bigger and better than everyone/gets the ball every possession. They can’t not foul him. 

UConn has one guy that can defend him straight up, but most teams don’t. And when they double, it usually means open shooters on the perimeter. 

• Like 2

I just checked. They were the #1 three point shooting team in the country this season at 41%, and making an average of 8 plus a game. They hit 3, shooting 20% today. 72% free throw team average, shot 63% today. They for sure left 8-12 points with pure averages based on how the game went. Officials aren’t going to stop calling fouls on Edey. Purdue is very disciplined in keeping guys out of foul trouble as well as slowly working teams into foul trouble. Once key defenders get pulled, they generally go on runs. I thought they let Tennessee play pretty aggressive today. I don’t expect Purdue to miss shots like they did today. Will be interesting to see opening lines for final four once tonight settles the other part of the equation. Can’t imagine they won’t be 8 point plus favorites Saturday.

• Like 1

NC State an amazing run, tied for lowest to ever make Final 4, would be lowest to make title game by quite a bit as several 8 seeds but no 9 or 10. Burns is a monster will be interesting how they adjust for Purdue next weekend, if Purdue can get him in foul trouble early may take away their steam.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

NC State an amazing run, tied for lowest to ever make Final 4, would be lowest to make title game by quite a bit as several 8 seeds but no 9 or 10. Burns is a monster will be interesting how they adjust for Purdue next weekend, if Purdue can get him in foul trouble early may take away their steam.

he looks good. But he’s going to have his hands full on defense. He only played 27 minutes today, while edey played all but about 30 seconds. That may not seem like a big deal to many, but a difference of 10 minutes on the court could be the difference in the game. And it could be a massive difference.

• Like 1

Great game today!  Congrats to Purdue for beating my favorite college team. Tennessee had a great run and played them hard. I’ve caught a lot of flack from my friends being a UT fan and living 20min from Purdue. I was ok with either team winning but have said since Friday, Purdue has a great chance to win it all this year where Tennessee was exceeding expectations. An elite 8 appearance was awesome for our football school. I will definitely be rooting for Purdue the rest of the way. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

he looks good. But he’s going to have his hands full on defense. He only played 27 minutes today, while edey played all but about 30 seconds. That may not seem like a big deal to many, but a difference of 10 minutes on the court could be the difference in the game. And it could be a massive difference.

Burns played so few minutes do to foul trouble and as mentioned if Purdue gets him into foul trouble also 100% can alter the outcome and take away their steam. If NC State is able to get Edey into foul trouble that will be a game changer as well, We will see early how tight or not tight game is called and who adjust better to it. A lot of eyes on the tournament this year and a Cinderall emerged just not one from a Mid Major this time.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Burns played so few minutes do to foul trouble and as mentioned if Purdue gets him into foul trouble also 100% can alter the outcome and take away their steam. If NC State is able to get Edey into foul trouble that will be a game changer as well, We will see early how tight or not tight game is called and who adjust better to it. A lot of eyes on the tournament this year and a Cinderall emerged just not one from a Mid Major this time.

He played a few minutes more than his season average… My point is that Edey will go the distance with very little rest, he’s in that good of shape. He averaged 7 more minutes a game this season than Burns, and that includes in a lot of lopsided wins where he came out minutes early. Burns will have some success, but if I’m betting on anything, it’s that Edey frustrates Burns more than vice versa. As large as Burns is, Edey still has a great size advantage. 

• Like 1