Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

3 Colts Legends Make the Semifinal Round for the 2024 Hall of Fame

sb41champs

22 minutes ago, sb41champs said:

The Pro Football Hall of Fame announced the 25 semifinalist list for the 2024 HOF Class.

3 Colts legends made the cut:

WR Reggie Wayne

DE Dwight Freeney

DE Robert Mathis

CONGRATS TO ALL 3 - and - keeping fingers crossed that AT LEAST 1 makes the 2024 class!!

freeney and Mathis deserve to go in together, combined , they were the best of their time. 

wayne, I don’t think makes it but he is deserving

31 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Luck is eligible in 2025, right? :hide:

I look forward to Andrew being inducted into the Colts Ring of Honor someday.    And I hope there won’t be too much booing at the ceremony.  

But NFL Hall of Fame?    No.   And Luck fans don’t get much bigger than me, but no.   His career wasn’t long enough or accomplished enough. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I look forward to Andrew being inducted into the Colts Ring of Honor someday.    And I hope there won’t be too much booing at the ceremony. 

Same! I think he would receive a good welcome back, and we could finally put the pain to rest. Maybe even break our curse. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

But NFL Hall of Fame?    No.   And Luck fans don’t get much bigger than me, but no.   His career wasn’t long enough or accomplished enough. 

I agree

• Thanks 1

Reggie Wayne deserves to get in. He has the stats, won a Ring, and was the best WR on the team when Andrew Luck was a rookie showing his longevity. Edge James got in and to me Reggie was a better player as a Colt.

Freeney deserves to get in as well. He was better than Mathis at his peak. SB 44 proved that by itself, when he was hampered in that 2nd half and then could not play, Brees killed us. Freeney was our closer for years. Great sack artist. 

Luck = ROH, he won't make the HOF. Just didn't play long enough.

I doubt Mathis gets in the HOF, great player and similar to Freeney but Freeney was better at his peak. He had more sacks than Freeney as a Colt (barely) but played more years as a Colt, 13 seasons to 11. Mathis being in the ROH was an easy selection though. The king of the strip sack! 

My Mt Rushmore of Indianapolis Colts players (1984-2023) 40 seasons is:

1. Peyton Manning

2. Marvin Harrison

3. Dwight Freeney

4. Reggie Wayne

-to me they are HOFamers. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Reggie Wayne deserves to get in. He has the stats, won a Ring, and was the best WR on the team when Andrew Luck was a rookie showing his longevity. Edge James got in and to me Reggie was a better player as a Colt.

Freeney deserves to get in as well. He was better than Mathis at his peak. SB 44 proved that by itself, when he was hampered in that 2nd half and then could not play, Brees killed us. Freeney was our closer for years. Great sack artist. 

I doubt Mathis gets in the HOF, great player and similar to Freeney but Freeney was better at his peak. He had more sacks than Freeney as a Colt (barely) but played more years as a Colt, 13 seasons to 11. Mathis being in the ROH was an easy selection though. The king of the strip sack! 

1. Peyton Manning

2. Marvin Harrison

3. Dwight Freeney

4. Reggie Wayne

I know it will never happen but Jeff Saturday?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FanFromtheWasteland said:

I know it will never happen but Jeff Saturday?

That is a great question, maybe? He was a great Center but I doubt it. I do think Vinatieri gets in. It is sad Bob was injured a lot, he was one of the main reasons why we went on our 2006 playoff run and won it all. He is also the only Colt to ever win DPOY (2007). He just didn't play long enough to be a HOFamer. Bob deserves to be in ROH, I am not sure what Irsay is waiting on there??

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think that ship sailed away, His abrupt retirement during a preseason game was all boos, Not to mention he was doing a cone drill and he looked in shape and ready to play but he waited until the draft was over and that screwed for several years. I loved how he played but his slap in the face to Colts fans will always simmer in the background, and their in NO reason to add him the ring of honor  

21 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I think that ship sailed away, His abrupt retirement during a preseason game was all boos, Not to mention he was doing a cone drill and he looked in shape and ready to play but he waited until the draft was over and that screwed for several years. I loved how he played but his slap in the face to Colts fans will always simmer in the background, and their in NO reason to add him the ring of honor  

Well….  You’re not the first person to write this, and I’m sure you won’t be the last.  

But given the I believe Irsay makes the choice, and Irsay loves Luck, I feel confident in saying this will eventually happen.   It might not happen for a good number of years, but I think it will surely happen someday.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is a great question, maybe? He was a great Center but I doubt it. I do think Vinatieri gets in. It is sad Bob was injured a lot, he was one of the main reasons why we went on our 2006 playoff run and won it all. He is also the only Colt to ever win DPOY (2007). He just didn't play long enough to be a HOFamer. Bob deserves to be in ROH, I am not sure what Irsay is waiting on there??

Me either. He was injured alot and with Polian holding a roster spot open for him and not having a fullback to get those 1st and goals at the 1 and we couldn't punch it in. I know I'm probably thinking there were way more then there actually were, but they were all so frustrating to witness. There have been so many supporting great players over the years

Tarik Glenn

Dallas Clark

Mike Vanderjagt (except his last year)

Bob of course

If I'm thinking of the correct punter Butler?

Those are what I can pull off the top of my head. I'm old and forgetful so I know I'm leaving alot out that I should  remember

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well….  You’re not the first person to write this, and I’m sure you won’t be the last.  

But given the I believe Irsay makes the choice, and Irsay loves Luck, I feel confident in saying this will eventually happen.   It might not happen for a good number of years, but I think it will surely happen someday.

I agree. It just will be awhile like you said. Just like I believe that Pete Rose will eventually be added to the BHOF. It just won't happen until he has past.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

There are also fans like you and I who still love him as well. Despite what happened, I can’t help but have fond memories of 2012-2014. And I have Andrew to thank for that. 

And now for a moment from our sponsor --

Remember last year when Jim Irsay made all that speech about having a "Rare Air" team?  Well, we had a Rare Air team because we had Rare Air players.  A potential SEVEN hall of fame players on the roster at the Same Time!

QB Peyton Manning - Hall Of Fame

RB Edgerrin James - Hall Of Fame

WR Marvin Harrison - Hall Of Fame

WR Reggie Wayne - 5 time HOF nominee

DE Robert Mathis - 3 time HOF nominee

DE Dwight Freeney - 2 time HOF nominee

K Adam Vinatieri - future first ballot HOF member

Yeah, we were That Good.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

im not so sure it does happen. Maybe in 15 years. There are a lot of fans still upset about the fact, and I’m sure the last thing Irsay wants is to bring Andrew back here to get booed again. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Same! I think he would receive a good welcome back, and we could finally put the pain to rest. Maybe even break our curse. 

If there is any curse, he brought it on.... the Colts are still paying for his blatant disregard for the team.  the last minute move has killed this team.  he had plenty of time before the season to say he was done.  instead he pulled one of the most Unprofessional moves seen...  there is no honor in Luck

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Old Colt said:

If there is any curse, he brought it on.... the Colts are still paying for his blatant disregard for the team.  the last minute move has killed this team.  he had plenty of time before the season to say he was done.  instead he pulled one of the most Unprofessional moves seen...  there is no honor in Luck

What he pulled was devastating to our franchise, can't argue that. It set us back 5 years. So I know how some feel about him. I didn't like the timing of his retirement either. Had he retired after the 2018 season and just said he is sick of playing injured, before the draft, I doubt anyone would have had a problem with that. Maybe disappointed and shocked but no hatred. 

25 minutes ago, Old Colt said:

I get it, but we need to let this hate go. 

The 2019 season is 100% Luck's fault no doubt. But I'm honestly putting more of the blame on Reich, Ballard and Irsay for 2020-2022. They chose to go after recycled QBs, and while Rivers was great for us we should've went aggressively after a QB following Philip's retirement and never should've picked up Wentz and especially not a clearly aging Matt Ryan. 

17 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

And now for a moment from our sponsor --

Remember last year when Jim Irsay made all that speech about having a "Rare Air" team?  Well, we had a Rare Air team because we had Rare Air players.  A potential SEVEN hall of fame players on the roster at the Same Time!

QB Peyton Manning - Hall Of Fame

RB Edgerrin James - Hall Of Fame

WR Marvin Harrison - Hall Of Fame

WR Reggie Wayne - 5 time HOF nominee

DE Robert Mathis - 3 time HOF nominee

DE Dwight Freeney - 2 time HOF nominee

K Adam Vinatieri - future first ballot HOF member

Yeah, we were That Good.

Still makes me sad that all of those players were Colts at the same time and we only won 1 title.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2023 at 3:13 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

1. Peyton Manning

2. Marvin Harrison

3. Dwight Freeney

4. Reggie Wayne

The "reason" that the HOF voters give for Reggie Wayne's waiting is that there are a number of WR's who have the credentials & stats - but - have been waiting longer than Reggie.

Horse hockey - vote the man in THIS YEAR!!

• Thanks 2

I selfishly hope they get in 1 year apart so I can enjoy each ceremony , I usually dont pay much attention when Colts players arent involved. Still feel like Chris Hinton should have gotten more serious consideration to the Hall. He was Elite at Tackle, was inducted in 2001 into Ring of Honor. 7 time Pro Bowler and 5x 1st or 2nd team All NFL, I know people make a big deal about the Elway trade being among the NFL all time worst but cant remember another trade listed that produced a stud to the other side (In some years he would have went #1 overall).

• 2 months later...
33 minutes ago, Old Man and the COLTS said:

Any rumors on if Reggie or Dwight get in tonight

All I’ve heard was Mike Chappell was on JMV’s show when the Irsay 911 call came out.  Chap is member of the committee that selects the hall of famers so at the end of that interview JMV tried to get it out of Chap if Wayne or Dwight got in.  Chappell being the professional he is wouldnt answer and explained he could lose his job on that committee if he spills or drops hints.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

All I’ve heard was Mike Chappell was on JMV’s show when the Irsay 911 call came out.  Chap is member of the committee that selects the hall of famers so at the end of that interview JMV tried to get it out of Chap if Wayne or Dwight got in.  Chappell being the professional he is wouldnt answer and explained he could lose his job on that committee if he spills or drops hints.

thanks

Reggie and Dwight both belong. These voters need to stop with the small market bias = players not getting credit. From 2003-2009, those players dominated, we went 89-23, went to 2 SBs, and won a SB in 2006 to justify all the wins and those players were a huge reason why. Peyton, Marvin, Dwight, Reggie are easily Hall of Famers. We weren't a Dynasty (it takes 3 SB wins to be that) but in those 7 years in a row we were a Mini-Dynasty with the 89 wins, 2 SB apps, and 1 SB win. We would've even been 16-0 in 2009 if Polian didn't pull the plug on it!

On 11/29/2023 at 8:17 AM, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

im not so sure it does happen. Maybe in 15 years. There are a lot of fans still upset about the fact, and I’m sure the last thing Irsay wants is to bring Andrew back here to get booed again. 

Honestly if Colts fans are classless enough to boo Luck during a Ring of Honor ceremony than the fanbase deserves the ire of the rest of the league.  I personally don’t see that happening. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ArmchairQB said:

Honestly if Colts fans are classless enough to boo Luck during a Ring of Honor ceremony than the fanbase deserves the ire of the rest of the league.  I personally don’t see that happening. 

I agree. Andrew Luck easily deserves the ROH. He got beat up for 6 years, had no run game, and a Oline that was pathetic at times. 

He put up these accomplishments:

2012-2014 = 3 straight 11 win seasons and 3 Playoff apps.

2013, 2014 = 2 Division Championships.

2014 = AFC Title Game appearance.

Holds rookie record for most Passing Yards in 16 games = 4374 Yards. CJ Stroud didn't even come close this year and he played 15 games. 

1 of only 8 other QBs in the history of the NFL to throw for 40 or more TDs in a season = 2014. He had 40!

2018 = Won Comeback Player of the Year with 10 wins and another Playoff win.

• Like 1

I am over at my moms house. She just cooked me a big dinner. Just chillin tonight with a Crown on Ice haha. I just ask her a question, who holds the record for most passing yards as a rookie. She gave me 3 answers - Peyton Manning, Pat Mahomes, and Dan Marino. Great guesses, but it is Andrew Luck The Simpsons GIF by KiwiGo (KGO)

34 minutes ago, ArmchairQB said:

I don’t pretend to know how the Colts community would react if Luck is picked for the ROH.  

I don’t know how much the community here on this website reflects the good people of the state of Indiana? 

But I’d share this….  There are some members here on Colts.com who would be happy to be at Lucas Oil Stadium the night of the ceremony just so they could boo him.  Their dislike for Luck runs deep.   So I don’t know what would happen? 

But it’s been 5 years.  2019-23.  How many more years are needed?   Three more?  Five?    I think it will happen someday,  I just don’t know when? 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t pretend to know how the Colts community would react if Luck is picked for the ROH.  

I don’t know how much the community here on this website reflects the good people of the state of Indiana? 

But I’d share this….  There are some members here on Colts.com who would be happy to be at Lucas Oil Stadium the night of the ceremony just so they could boo him.  Their dislike for Luck runs deep.   So I don’t know what would happen? 

But it’s been 5 years.  2019-23.  How many more years are needed?   Three more?  Five?    I think it will happen someday,  I just don’t know when? 

I think Bob Sanders will be next and deservedly so. I have been on Irsay's case to get this done but I doubt he reads what we post, maybe he does? He is a big social media guy. Not having Bob in isn't right, he was a big reason why we won the SB we did, and he is the only Colt in NFL history to win DPOY. The ovation he would get would be unreal! 

Back to Andrew, give it 2 more years and I think things will be fine. The way he retired (timing of it) just made a lot of people dislike him. I still love the guy for what he gave the franchise even though I was mad at the timing of his retirement.