Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Playoff Chances Improve…

NewColtsFan

7 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

That was such a scapegoat firing for the mistakes Josh Allen who leads the league in picks. They have a hard schedule and not only is that offense in disarray but that defense isn’t really good either.

This was a Sean McDermott scapegoating type of move, he is gone at the end of the season too. Josh Allen would greatly benefit from an offensive minded coach like Ben Johnson, OC of the Lions. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

This was a Sean McDermott scapegoating type of move, he is gone at the end of the season too. Josh Allen would greatly benefit from an offensive minded coach like Ben Johnson, OC of the Lions. 

IDK. The scheme wasn’t very good. They were asking him to be a super hero.  There was just a lot wrong with bills play calling. I agree though he would benefit from a offensive HC.

35 minutes ago, chad72 said:

...or did we beat ourselves to an extent? 3 fumbles from Minshew lost 1 of which led to defensive TD, 1 recovered at IND 36, THEN 1 blocked FG, possibly gifting them at least 17 points. Steichen called a great game to score 38 points despite that.

True true. Is it just me or do we seem to play to our opponents level still

8 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I think we need at least 10 wins to reach the playoffs, but that’s asking too much this season in my opinion. 

True. If we are getting 9 wins and squeaking in, we need the tie breaker wins vs Bengals or Steelers for a certainty over them, or hope the Texans crash and burn while giving us a chance to get the final game tie breaker for the #7 spot.

Here is the remaining strength of schedule:

Jaguars, Texans have a leg up on us. Steelers, Chargers, Browns are all hovering close to us with not a huge difference.

https://www.tankathon.com/nfl/remaining_schedule_strength

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Don't forget Mark Andrews may be out for the season. I was thinking about this myself. Things are lining up for a possible Cinderella run to sneak into the playoffs. The AFC is starting to collapse. Time to get our guys healthy during the bye week. Grover Stewart will be back soon. This season is far from over.

Nice, positive post, sir!

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Oh. my goodness. Going to be right down to the wire. Chargers broncos have new life too.

With Watson and Burrow out for the season, I'm wondering what the Cleve/Cincy records will be heading into their week 18 finale.

Check out these other week 18 matchups -

Texans at Colts

Vikings at Lions

Broncos at Raiders

Bills at Dolphins

Chiefs at Chargers

Steelers at Ravens

There will be plenty of scoreboard watching around the NFL.  There will be one team from each conference that ends up sneaking in the postseason after being left for dead.

Jaguars, Texans, Steelers, Chargers, Browns, Colts, Broncos vying for the seeds #4 through 7, IMO.

Bengals and Bills, because of their schedules, looking in from the outside. Hey, anything can happen though. Dolphins can have a collapse, Chargers can have a collapse (wouldn't surprise us), Browns can go downhill etc.

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Jaguars, Texans, Steelers, Chargers, Browns, Colts, Broncos vying for the seeds #4 through 7, IMO.

Bengals and Bills, because of their schedules, looking in from the outside. Hey, anything can happen though. Dolphins can have a collapse, Chargers can have a collapse (wouldn't surprise us), Browns can go downhill etc.

Considering the situations of the playoff contenders we have as good a chance as any of them.  Especially with our schedule.  As always is the case it comes down to quarterback play.  Our future rides on Minchews playing ability and him protecting the ball.  He has talent so it’s all riding on him imo.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Considering the situations of the playoff contenders we have as good a chance as any of them.  Especially with our schedule.  As always is the case it comes down to quarterback play.  Our future rides on Minchews playing ability and him protecting the ball.  He has talent so it’s all riding on him imo.

I agree to a point.   i think more rests on the game plan and coaching.  When Taylor had a huge first half against the Saints, he only had 1 carry in the second half (the first play).  

6 hours ago, Superman said:

I could see that happening.

But I put the Colts chances of making the playoffs somewhere around 5%.

That good huh. Well better than 0% like last year and that’s 105 percent better than I expected to be at this point in the season coming into this year. 

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

That good huh. Well better than 0% like last year and that’s 105 percent better than I expected to be at this point in the season coming into this year. 

For what it’s worth, several days ago ESPN analytics put the Colts chances at 24 percent.   

Even if you added the ESPN number with Superman’s and divided by 2, it would put the Colts chances at roughly 15 percent.  And that would still be 15 percent better than the odds most would have guessed for the Colts at the start of the season.  

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it’s worth, several days ago ESPN analytics put the Colts chances at 24 percent.   

Even if you added the ESPN number with Superman’s and divided by 2, it would put the Colts chances at roughly 15 percent.  And that would still be 15 percent better than the odds most would have guessed for the Colts at the start of the season.  

Yeah so far I’m liking what I’m seeing, granted we have some improvements to do in every facet of the game but it’s so much better overall than last year or even the year before

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

There is a chance that Colts get a flexed prime time game. 

Unlikely. 

1) They are not sexy. Two offensive td’s in the last two games. 

2) The league likely still has scar tissue from the 5 prime time games they bored the nation  with last year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

Unlikely. 

2) The league likely still has scar tissue from the 5 prime time games they bored the nation  with last year. 

Agreed. 

The team most likely to get flexed will be Dallas, as long as Dak is still standing. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

Yeah. I don't like our defense, maybe it gets better when Grove comes back, but I don't think we can stop anybody consistently. And I feel like our offense is at the tipping point with Minshew. If the OL can't get the run game going like 2021, then it's going to be hard to score moving forward. JMO. But the schedule is favorable. And yeah, that's about the upper limit of what anyone reasonably expected from the Colts to start the season, so it's not a bad thing. I just don't think the team is good enough.

2 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Unlikely. 

My thought was one of the Saturday afternoon games in late December, not necessarily a Sunday night game. But I don't remember if they flex the Saturday games...

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

I like him being mobile when our o-line breaks down which is often

that's not the same as him dancing around when there's no pressure, then throwing with bad mechanics, or running into the boundary to throw the ball away 

and, no i disagree about the olineman. he is taking the longest to throw on average comapred to every other single QB outside of josh dobbs. 

our oline also ranks 3rd according to PFF

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, csmopar said:

Yeah but I will caution, the odds are still against us making the playoffs. On paper, we’re in it, but we gotta string together some wins 

Not saying we will make it in. My point was, people saying a season is over if you start something like 2-5 need to slow their roll. Until we get up to 9 losses, I will never think it is over. In a 16 game season, it was losing that 8th game for me. 9-8 may get us in this year because of tiebreakers. With it being 17 games now.

Also to the people that want us to tank or don't care if we make the playoffs, why even watch is what I would ask them. If I didn't care, I can find 5 other things to do on a Sunday.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not saying we will make it in. My point was, people saying a season is over if you start something like 2-5 need to slow their roll. Until we get up to 9 losses, I will never think it is over. In a 16 game season, it was losing that 8th game for me. 9-8 may get us in this year because of tiebreakers. With it being 17 games now.

Also to the people that want us to tank or don't care if we make the playoffs, why even watch is what I would ask them. If I didn't care, I can find 5 other things to do on a Sunday.

I’m not saying we tank, but I’d rather have a top 10 pick Vs sneaking into the playoffs and losing the following week or just barely missing the playoffs. 

regardless, I think we’re out of the running for Marv 2.0 barring a trade so I’m just rooting for a win each week and seeing where the chips fall

5 hours ago, Superman said:

Yeah. I don't like our defense, maybe it gets better when Grove comes back, but I don't think we can stop anybody consistently. And I feel like our offense is at the tipping point with Minshew. If the OL can't get the run game going like 2021, then it's going to be hard to score moving forward. JMO. But the schedule is favorable. And yeah, that's about the upper limit of what anyone reasonably expected from the Colts to start the season, so it's not a bad thing. I just don't think the team is good enough.

My thought was one of the Saturday afternoon games in late December, not necessarily a Sunday night game. But I don't remember if they flex the Saturday games...

The Steeler game is still a TBD. That could be one moved into a national window I suppose. 

41 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I’m not saying we tank, but I’d rather have a top 10 pick Vs sneaking into the playoffs and losing the following week or just barely missing the playoffs. 

regardless, I think we’re out of the running for Marv 2.0 barring a trade so I’m just rooting for a win each week and seeing where the chips fall

I would rather make the playoffs and then lose, than have a boring/bad season and be a laughing stock. Making the playoffs is still a good season. Of course playing the hindsight game, if i knew we weren't making the playoffs, then of course i would want to pick higher. if someone ask me would you rather just miss making the playoffs or pick higher, I would rather pick higher if I knew we were going to miss the playoffs. 

Really it is pointless to even root for your team to win if winning the SB is one's only purpose. I could ask someone, would you rather go 11-5 and lose in the AFC Title Game, or pick 5th in the draft? Silly question right? Believe it or not, there are a few that would rather pick 5th in the draft. 

Winning a SB is extremely tough. We only won one with Peyton. I enjoy each win and watching my team win. Successful seasons are gratifying. Making the playoffs, going to a Championship Game, etc.. if we don't win it all, crap happens like it did with Dan Marino, the Bills from 1990-1993, the Titans from 2019-2021. Chiefs didn't win one for 50 years until Mahomes got there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Winning a SB is extremely tough. We only won one with Peyton. I enjoy each win and watching my team win. Successful seasons are gratifying. Making the playoffs, going to a Championship Game, etc.. if we don't win it all, crap happens like it did with Dan Marino, the Bills from 1990-1993, the Titans from 2019-2021. Chiefs didn't win one for 50 years until Mahomes got there.

Imagine winning the super bowl  with minshew

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Imagine winning the super bowl  with minshew

That would be a story for the ages. Winning the SB is the ultimate goal, that is my goal, but for the team you root for it rarely happens no matter who is at QB. We only won one with Peyton. What the Pats accomplished from 2001-2018 will never be done again. I would bet a million dollars on it. Not even KC will win 6 times with Mahomes. 

I wonder if other fanbases feel like some of our fanbase, as in if you don't win it all, the season is meaningless?

If so then that thinking would be:

Dan Marino's career was a total waste.

What the Bills accomplished from 1990-1993 doesn't matter.

What the Titans accomplished from 2019-2021 was just average.

What the Bengals accomplished in 2021 and 2022 doesn't matter. 

Our 2009 season was just a waste. So was our 1995 season. 

Just plain embarrassing if fans are like that.

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That would be a story for the ages. Winning the SB is the ultimate goal, that is my goal, but for the team you root for it rarely happens no matter who is at QB. We only won one with Peyton. What the Pats accomplished from 2001-2018 will never be done again. I would bet a million dollars on it. Not even KC will win 6 times with Mahomes. 

I wonder if other fanbases feel like some of our fanbase, as in if you don't win it all, the season is meaningless?

If so then that thinking would be:

Dan Marino's career was a total waste.

What the Bills accomplished from 1990-1993 doesn't matter.

What the Titans accomplished from 2019-2021 was just average.

What the Bengals accomplished in 2021 and 2022 doesn't matter. 

Our 2009 season was just a waste. So was our 1995 season. 

Just plain embarrassing if fans are like that.

Every fan base has people like that. Including all sports. It’s a pretty common thing honestly. 

If you were to ask Bears and Falcons fans if their Super Bowl loss seasons were successful, you’d probably get a lot of grumbling. 

• Like 1

For me personally, 2005 was one of my favorite years. The team just dominated throughout the season. Same for 2014 with Luck. We beat both Super Bowl teams that year. 

2021 was tops for the Bengals. The arrival of Joe Cool. Stunning the Chiefs at the end of the season and then again in the AFC Championship. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Every fan base has people like that. Including all sports. It’s a pretty common thing honestly. 

If you were to ask Bears and Falcons fans if their Super Bowl loss seasons were successful, you’d probably get a lot of grumbling. 

I think with the Falcons it was a bit different because they had a 28-3 lead in their SB and had never won 1 before. I can see that. Or the like Bills in 1990 missing a FG to win it. There is always going to be a game or 2 in every franchise where fans will be upset at a loss. I was just talking about the overall scheme of things going into each season.

I am upset that we lost SB 44, we played our worst game of the season but overall that season was still great on many levels.  As a Colts fan, any season to me if we make the playoffs, isn't a waste. That is just me though. 

Regarding the Bears fans being upset they lost in the SB to us, that is odd. We clearly had the better team, the Pats, Chargers, and Ravens were even better that year IMO. Had we lost that game, then I could see our fans being furious. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think with the Falcons it was a bit different because they had a 28-3 lead in their SB and had never won 1 before. I can see that. Or the like Bills in 1990 missing a FG to win it. There is always going to be a game or 2 in every franchise where fans will be upset at a loss. I was just talking about the overall scheme of things going into each season.

I am upset that we lost SB 44, we played our worst game of the season but overall that season was still great on many levels.  As a Colts fan, any season to me if we make the playoffs, isn't a waste. That is just me though. 

Regarding the Bears fans being upset they lost in the SB to us, that is odd. We clearly had the better team, the Pats, Chargers, and Ravens were even better that year IMO. Had we lost that game, then I could see our fans being furious. 

I’ve got several Bears friends who hate the Colts with a passion due to that loss. 

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I’ve got several Bears friends who hate the Colts with a passion due to that loss. 

I do as well. One of my best friends of 20 years is a huge Bears fan and hates the Colts. He avoided me for like a week after that game. chuckling homer simpson GIF-Once we did talk, he admitted it was just our time and that Peyton was great. He hated the Colts so bad; he thought Peyton was an overrated choke. Not until that SB, he changed his tune. 

5 hours ago, csmopar said:

Regardless, I think we’re out of the running for Marv 2.0 barring a trade so I’m just rooting for a win each week and seeing where the chips fall

I’d like Marv jr. as a Colt, but to me it’s more about getting a WR and there are a handful of really good WRs in this draft. I’d be happy with any one of them. 

• Like 2