Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Players to Watch for 2024 Draft

2 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

We are now second in sacks!  Edge is not the huge need its made out to be on here

It could be better sure but its not a glaring hole

Remember though. Tyquan Lewis is a FA and the Colts have to decide if they’re going to use the 5th year option on Paye. So by 2025, Edge may be a need as Paye and Dayo are FA’s. It’s better to address it now when it’s not a need, than to wait till it’s a glaring need. Good teams prepare for the departure and of players by having the replacements in house 1-2 years early. Thats what the Eagles do.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

It feels like if we picking in the 18-22 range of the draft, we should be either looking to trade up or back. I sort of feel like with the roster we have, we should be looking to trade up and start taking shots at elite talent. The roster has decent depth now, especially with a lot of younger players stepping up in positions like WR and CB. But it’s elite players we want to find now.

Need a WLB too, but I’d be looking for another Bobby Okereke type in the 3rd round, something like that. Ballard is good at drafting LBs infairness.

Hoping the Colts can acquire Frankie Luvu (Panthers) to play WLB in FA then move Speed back to SLB

7 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Remember though. Tyquan Lewis is a FA and the Colts have to decide if they’re going to use the 5th year option on Paye. So by 2025, Edge may be a need as Paye and Dayo are FA’s. It’s better to address it now when it’s not a need, than to wait till it’s a glaring need. Good teams prepare for the departure and of players by having the replacements in house 1-2 years early. Thats what the Eagles do.

Am hoping we resign Lewis to an extension.  Compared to other FAs Lewis has proven to be capable at times and worthy of the extension along with his familiarity of our system.

In Round 1 if Bralen Trice (Washington) was still on the board I would take him as BPA.

Hoping in the draft we look at Ben Bell (Texas St), if he declares.  His brother is Levi Bell (Seahawks).  Do have to question his level of competition but Bell had a 39.7 pass-rush win rate which was nearly 10% points higher than the next closest edge defender.  After 9 weeks, Bell was the most efficient pass-rusher in the nation, leading all FBS with a 31.5 pass-rush win rate while his 23% pressure rate was 3rd among all edge defenders.  

The only other two edge players that stand out are Mohamed Kamara (Colorado St) and Gabriel Murphy (UCLA). 

Defensive lineman Keenan Stewart (UTEP) showed up on my radar back in 2020 and hadn't seen his name mentioned in a long time until he made PFF 2023 TOW 12 honors.  Stewart dominated JUCO.  Can play 1T and 3% in the 3-3-5 and 4-2-5 nickel defense.   In the last 6 games in 2020, Stewart produced a 92.7 PFF grade, ranking first in college football, and was anchored by a 94.4 run-defense grade.  

DL Jacques Bristol (Central Michigan) is another player from the Group of Five having a solid year.  Bristol was the only IDL with an 80+ pass-rushing and run-defending grades after the first five weeks in the Group of Five. 

17 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

We might take one, its not a glaring need though.  Its a tough year to guess what our first pick will be, not like we have to make a guess though lol

9 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

We might take one, its not a glaring need though.  Its a tough year to guess what our first pick will be, not like we have to make a guess though lol

We just need elite blue chip talent. If it’s at WR then draft them. If it’s a FS, draft them. That 1st round pick needs to be a game changer though.

• Like 3

On 12/5/2023 at 2:18 AM, NewColtsFan said:

For me…..

1.   DL

2.   WR

3.   IOL 

4.   CB

5.    LB

6.    DB

7.     RB

I believe Ballard will attempt to do in the 24 draft that he did in the 23 draft.  Lots of trading down and acquiring more picks. 

I agree on the trade, and I’ll try to predict it.  He trades down to the very end of the 1st, and then:

1) LB

2) CB

3) IOL

3) NT

4) WR

5) LB

6) TE

7) DB

On 12/5/2023 at 6:51 PM, Defjamz26 said:

We just need elite blue chip talent. If it’s at WR then draft them. If it’s a FS, draft them. That 1st round pick needs to be a game changer though.

It will be interesting to see what happens before we draft.  I think you may possibly see 4 QBs taken before our pick, which would push up some of the top candidates to our pick.

I think we HAVE to look at this as ELITE potential picks (Within our potential needs group)

I think if you fall in love with an ELITE CB, WR, DL, FS, LB

You make the pick

If an elite LT, QB, TE becomes available at pick 22, You will get a pile of picks for them, if we decide to trade

I dont see us taking a LT, TE, or QB in the first round of this draft

There are several elite folks that I would have difficulty in passing on or trading the pick

1) Johnny Newton - The guy is a dominate game wrecker that plays all along the line

2)  Odunze - WR, a great WR1 candidate

3) McKinstry - Top CB in the draft

4) Chop Robinson - Speed freak DE

5) Cooper DeJean - Shutdown corner that plays the run and pass the same.  He is an aw shucks midwestern kid

that can play anywhere in the defensive backfield 

If all of these 5 are gone, I would take

Xavier Leggette - Its said he runs a 4.3 40  He is 6 3" and 225 labs 

Brian Thomas - Track star at 6 ft 4"  catches everything

There are several 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

It will be interesting to see what happens before we draft.  I think you may possibly see 4 QBs taken before our pick, which would push up some of the top candidates to our pick.

I think we HAVE to look at this as ELITE potential picks (Within our potential needs group)

I think if you fall in love with an ELITE CB, WR, DL, FS, LB

You make the pick

If an elite LT, QB, TE becomes available at pick 22, You will get a pile of picks for them, if we decide to trade

I dont see us taking a LT, TE, or QB in the first round of this draft

There are several elite folks that I would have difficulty in passing on or trading the pick

1) Johnny Newton - The guy is a dominate game wrecker that plays all along the line

2)  Odunze - WR, a great WR1 candidate

3) McKinstry - Top CB in the draft

4) Chop Robinson - Speed freak DE

5) Cooper DeJean - Shutdown corner that plays the run and pass the same.  He is an aw shucks midwestern kid

that can play anywhere in the defensive backfield 

If all of these 5 are gone, I would take

Xavier Leggette - Its said he runs a 4.3 40  He is 6 3" and 225 labs 

Brian Thomas - Track star at 6 ft 4"  catches everything

There are several 

Xavier Legette is growing on me in the 1st round round. I think he’s DK 2.0. Regardless of if you bring Pittman back or not, I would add him.

Ive said openly I think we’re good at corner but I’m seeing more mocks with Kool-Aid falling. I think he’s a really great scheme fit. Would be hard to pass up

Dejean I like a lot…but as a safety. I think he can be an elite safety and rookie pro-bowl player. I’d put him at FS, SS, and Nickel depending on the situation. I don’t think outside corner is his best position long term.

• Like 1

This may be common knowledge, but I haven’t seen it anywhere else…

For what it’s worth… 

Caleb Williams has announced he’s sitting out of USC’s bowl game.   It’s expected he will also soon announce he’s officially turning pro, he just hasn’t done it yet.  

On 12/7/2023 at 11:21 AM, chad72 said:

Chop Robinson can be like a Micah Parsons for exclusive pass rush situations. One can never have enough DBs or pass rushers. :) 

Speaking of Robinson, his team mate Adisa Issac is getting some hype right now. He led the Big 10 in sacks with 7.5. He also got a Senior Bowl invite so we’ll see him next month in Mobile. Could be a 3rd round guy. To look into.

7 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Could be a good fit in the 1st. Legit vertical speed. I also like Legette in that role.

I like the idea of drafting either one too. The thing is, they might be a little raw, but we still have Alec Pierce, so they won’t be under pressure from the start to deliver right away. They can be given time to develop, as both have a really high ceiling. Legette could be another Metcalf.

On 11/12/2023 at 4:06 AM, Defjamz26 said:

I said this on IG because there was a mock that had us taking Bowers: As much as most people like Odunze, Nabers, and Coleman, I would be okay if the Colts went with Bowers in round 1, and got another receiver in round 2. Yes we have Jelani Woods but he’s proven nothing yet, and Ballard should always push to be better at positions that aren’t 100% solidified. You’re losing MAC in FA anyways. You can have a depth chart of Bowers, Woods, Ogletree, and Mallory. 2nd round you get a guy like Xavier Legette or A.D. Mitchell. It also makes sense because Richardson seemed to throw to the TE’s more than Minshew.

What about Granson?  Is he cut?

9 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

This post is a bit old, but Granson has not had a great season. Not sure what his contract is like but who knows. We’ve seen more from Mallory, and we seem to want Ogletree to be involved. But I don’t think they draft Bowers now though. We have other needs.

• Like 2

I'm rooting for Dontay Corleone, nicknamed "The Godfather" for obvious reasons. :) 6'2'' 318 lbs, has proven production at both stopping the run and pass rushing, can play either 1T or 3T in our scheme. 

Is only 20 years old now, so still has room to grow bigger.

• Like 2

On 12/17/2023 at 6:29 AM, Defjamz26 said:

Could be a good fit in the 1st. Legit vertical speed. I also like Legette in that role.

I liked him as a prospect early in the season but when they played good teams, he kind of disappeared which worries me.

On 12/19/2023 at 9:14 PM, compuls1v3 said:

Granson still has another year on his rookie contract.   He hasn’t had a bad season, just not a great season.   Other than Pittman and Downs targets and receptions have been spread all over.   He should be back next year.   

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Zoltan said:

I liked him as a prospect early in the season but when they played good teams, he kind of disappeared which worries me.

Week 4 against Colorado(19): 8 rec, 126 yards, 15.8 YPR, 2 TDs

Week 6 Against Washington(7): 8 rec, 154 yards, 19.3 YPR, 1 TD

Week 8 against Utah (13) 8 rec, 99 yards, 12.4 YPR, 1 TD

Week 10 against USC: 2 rec, 147 yards, 73.5 YPR, 1 TD

Week 12 against Oregon State(16): 9 rec, 128 yards, 14.1 YPR, 1 TD

He was shut down in the Pac-12 championship rematch game against Washington for 34 yards. Aside from that he had 99+ yards and a TD against every ranked team he played. 

• Like 1

Think today showed us that WR has to be our first pick.  Right now looks like we’re going to pick somewhere 15-20.  At those spots, MHJ and Nabers will be gone.   So, here are my top 3 WR prospects I hope to draft if they are available:

1.  Rome Odunze:  This is a Ballard type player if I’ve seen one.  RAS score should be a 10.  6’3”, 215lbs, and runs a 4.3.  Currently has 82 catches and 1400 yds.  He would be the perfect player to play opposite of Pittman.   Can be productive at all levels of the field.  I’m hoping the hype around MHJ and Nabers, and the needs of teams needing QBs and OLs will allow Odunze to drop some.  Possibly may need to trade up to make sure we can grab him. 

2.  Brian Thomas, Jr.:  Another Ballard type player. 6’4”, 205, and a burner.  He could be what we needed Alec Pierce to be.  His route tree needs some improvement but with Reggie I don’t think that would be a problem.  I think we could stay pat and draft him if MHJ, Odunze, and Nabors are gone.   

3.  Troy Franklin:  another tall speedy receiver.  Same as the previous 2.  A tall receiver who can stretch the field.  

id be fine with drafting any of these players in the first round.  But knowing Ballard, he’s going to trade back or out of the first so I’m thinking Thomas and Franklin will be the players we’ll likely draft.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Nabers, Harrison and Odunze won't be there when we pick.

Unless we trade up I think it's Troy Franklin or Brian Thomas in the 20s in the 1st.

Anyone know of Jermaine Burton? Would he be a fit? Heard he's a bit of a character, but don't know if he's trouble.

2 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Unless we trade up I think it's Troy Franklin or Brian Thomas in the 20s in the 1st.

Anyone know of Jermaine Burton? Would he be a fit? Heard he's a bit of a character, but don't know if he's trouble.

Most mocks I’ve seen got odunze going to the falcons at 9 or the bears at 11.  I think the falcons going qb with either nix or penix.  Bears, I can see them doubling up on WR but maybe not also.  If odunze gets past 11 I can see him dropping to us unless someone trades in front of us to get him.

if we can’t get him, ill Happily take Troy franklin

3 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I like Jermaine Burton, think if he was in a pass happy offense he would have more hype. To me I see prime Randall Cobb, Emanuel Sanders or a Christian Kirk type player

I like Xavier Worthy as well and liken him to Will Fuller or Marquise Brown 

• Like 1

On 12/7/2023 at 9:54 AM, Defjamz26 said:

Xavier Legette is growing on me in the 1st round round. I think he’s DK 2.0. Regardless of if you bring Pittman back or not, I would add him.

Ive said openly I think we’re good at corner but I’m seeing more mocks with Kool-Aid falling. I think he’s a really great scheme fit. Would be hard to pass up

Dejean I like a lot…but as a safety. I think he can be an elite safety and rookie pro-bowl player. I’d put him at FS, SS, and Nickel depending on the situation. I don’t think outside corner is his best position long term.

Dejean would do great at corner in the Colts system. He would also instantly be the best punt returner on the team.    I believe Blackmon will be re-signed and Cross will be the starting FS next year with Thomas and Scott as depth pieces. 

The Colts have had big voids at specific positions in recent years.  Ballard chose need.  This year he can really take BPA or trade down and draft another boatload of players. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Dejean would do great at corner in the Colts system. He would also instantly be the best punt returner on the team.    I believe Blackmon will be re-signed and Cross will be the starting FS next year with Thomas and Scott as depth pieces. 

The Colts have had big voids at specific positions in recent years.  Ballard chose need.  This year he can really take BPA or trade down and draft another boatload of players. 

Dejean would be a great pickup.  He is a big fast kid that can tackle like a LB and has the speed to matchup.

He can also be used in several roles , FS, SS, CB

• Like 1

There are a few guys I think we could be looking at in the 1st round. But, I'm not a fan of drafting a CB and I don't think we're drafting high enough to get one of the premier DEs. That sorta leaves WR and I don't think the guys we can get mid/late in the 1st are head and shoulders above who we can get early in the 2nd. So, I'm leaning towards trading back and maybe out of the 1st round entirely. There are some quality guys to be had in the 2nd/3rd rounds (and later) this season.

Some non-1st rounders I'd like for us to pick up:

• T'Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas. The guy's a house and would instantly upgrade our run defense - possibly even over Stewart - but at least behind Stewart.
  • Edgerrin Cooper, LB, Texas A&M. Jeremiah Trotter, LB, Clemson. Payton Wilson, LB, NC State. All promising and good in coverage.
  • Javon Bullard, S, Georgia. Ballhawk but also a willing, down-hill tackler.
  • James Williams, S, Miami. Hybrid LB prospect who would upgrade our coverage at LB.
  • Sedric Van Pran, C, Georgia. Need to think about the after-Kelly situation.
  • Cade Stover, TE, Ohio State. Ogletree possibly gone. Cox possibly gone. Woods a questionmark.
  • Bucky Irving, RB, Oregon. Brings a completely different skill-set to JT.
  • Jermaine Burton, WR, Alabama.
  • Xavier Legette, WR, South Carolina.

Edit:

• Mekhi Wingo, DT, LSU.
  • Byron Murphy, DT, Texas.
  • Like 3

Another player I’m starting to like is Beau Brade, safety from Maryland just like Cross. I don’t think he’s as athletic as Cross was coming out, but he’s your prototypical box safety who is great against the run but can also cover in zone as well.  Right now Cross is our only safety that’s good against the run, and that needs to change.

57 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

But, I'm not a fan of drafting a CB

I’m not either, but I think if Nate Wiggins was there you’d have to pounce. Maybe Kool-Aid too because he’s such a perfect scheme fit. But to me, I’m still taking a receiver first. And as opposed to trading down, I’d actually consider trading up to get Odunze.

32 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Another player I’m starting to like is Beau Brade, safety from Maryland just like Cross. I don’t think he’s as athletic as Cross was coming out, but he’s your prototypical box safety who is great against the run but can also cover in zone as well.  Right now Cross is our only safety that’s good against the run, and that needs to change.

I’m not either, but I think if Nate Wiggins was there you’d have to pounce. Maybe Kool-Aid too because he’s such a perfect scheme fit. But to me, I’m still taking a receiver first. And as opposed to trading down, I’d actually consider trading up to get Odunze.

19 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I also really like Quinton Mitchell. He’s another perfect scheme fit although corner isn’t a huge need.

I just don't see it in the early rounds. Brents and Jones have both flashed and we have Flowers coming back. I think we'll pick up a veteran CB in FA and let the young'uns play. 

I'd be on board with trading up for Odunze, but I don't think Ballard will trade up in the 1st - too expensive.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2023 at 2:18 AM, NewColtsFan said:

For me…..

1.   DL

2.   WR

3.   IOL 

4.   CB

5.    LB

6.    DB

7.     RB

I believe Ballard will attempt to do in the 24 draft that he did in the 23 draft.  Lots of trading down and acquiring more picks. 

I'm right with you with your first three and would lean to LB or S in the top for. If he isn’t in love with someone in rd one we can trust that he wants to trade back.

I expect him to sign at least one good FA. Either a WR, S, in the $8-10M range. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Solid84 said:

There are a few guys I think we could be looking at in the 1st round. But, I'm not a fan of drafting a CB and I don't think we're drafting high enough to get one of the premier DEs. That sorta leaves WR and I don't think the guys we can get mid/late in the 1st are head and shoulders above who we can get early in the 2nd. So, I'm leaning towards trading back and maybe out of the 1st round entirely. There are some quality guys to be had in the 2nd/3rd rounds (and later) this season.

Some non-1st rounders I'd like for us to pick up:

• T'Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas. The guy's a house and would instantly upgrade our run defense - possibly even over Stewart - but at least behind Stewart.
  • Edgerrin Cooper, LB, Texas A&M. Jeremiah Trotter, LB, Clemson. Payton Wilson, LB, NC State. All promising and good in coverage.
  • Javon Bullard, S, Georgia. Ballhawk but also a willing, down-hill tackler.
  • James Williams, S, Miami. Hybrid LB prospect who would upgrade our coverage at LB.
  • Sedric Van Pran, C, Georgia. Need to think about the after-Kelly situation.
  • Cade Stover, TE, Ohio State. Ogletree possibly gone. Cox possibly gone. Woods a questionmark.
  • Bucky Irving, RB, Oregon. Brings a completely different skill-set to JT.
  • Jermaine Burton, WR, Alabama.
  • Xavier Legette, WR, South Carolina.

Edit:

• Mekhi Wingo, DT, LSU.
  • Byron Murphy, DT, Texas.

I agree with you on the WRs. My dream scenario would be if Rome Odunze falls just outside the Top 10, that Ballard trades his 1 and 2 to go up and get a true difference maker. But its probably not going to happen.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

I agree with you on the WRs. My dream scenario would be if Rome Odunze falls just outside the Top 10, that Ballard trades his 1 and 2 to go up and get a true difference maker. But its probably not going to happen.

Harrison, Nabers and Odunze are special and if one of them get within reach I hope we go for them. I don't think a 1 and a 2  will be enough, though, if we need to get in that 11-15 pick range.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Solid84 said:

Harrison, Nabers and Odunze are special and if one of them get within reach I hope we go for them. I don't think a 1 and a 2  will be enough, though, if we need to get in that 11-15 pick range.

I know I may get some flack for this but what if we traded a 3rd and Michael Pittman to go up and get Odunze? We sign Pittman to either a 1 year deal or franchise tag him, and then trade him to a WR needy team that wants to move down a few spots.

I mean think about it, a team with a 1st round WR, Pittman, Downs, and Pierce would be crowded. Not enough balls to go around. You’d lose Pitt but you get a receiver that can play outside on an island and move around the field.

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I know I may get some flack for this but what if we traded a 3rd and Michael Pittman to go up and get Odunze? We sign Pittman to either a 1 year deal or franchise tag him, and then trade him to a WR needy team that wants to move down a few spots.

I mean think about it, a team with a 1st round WR, Pittman, Downs, and Pierce would be crowded. Not enough balls to go around. You’d lose Pitt but you get a receiver that can play outside on an island and move around the field.

I mean, it's possible, but are we really improving then? That would be a lateral move in my opinion.

Pittman may not be extremely flashy, but he gets the job done and we need a guy like him on the team. I don't think it's a problem to have some competition for targets. Our biggest issue is the guy who gets the most targets barely gets 10 yards per reception. We need to stretch the field more than that.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I would have no problem franchise tagging Pittman and trading him, but I'd want to do it for an O-Lineman like Fashanu, Alt, or Lathum if I did. This is a top heavy O-Line class, and we could always draft a WR with our other 1st round pick in this scenario. 

I want the O-Line to be absolutely elite for Richardson next year.

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I would have no problem franchise tagging Pittman and trading him, but I'd want to do it for an O-Lineman like Fashanu, Alt, or Lathum if I did. This is a top heavy O-Line class, and we could always draft a WR with our other 1st round pick in this scenario. 

I want the O-Line to be absolutely elite for Richardson next year.

No way do you get rid of Pitt. That’s a losing play. He’s a reliable Reggie Wayne type receiver. You go get another top receiver to join him. If the player is there with the first pick, spend it instead of trading down. The Colts need difference makers now, not quantity. 

• Like 1