Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Players to Watch for 2024 Draft

On 1/15/2024 at 10:28 AM, Solid84 said:

First pick: Nabers, Odunze or Bowers - either possibly with a small trade up. If not possible then I think we're trading back for Franklin or Thomas or possibly a bit further back for Legette.

I'm wavering a bit on what to do with the first pick. I also consider DE a possibility or even a top LB because I think the defense has big needs. But, Superman brought up a good point. We need to figure out if AR is it. To do that we need the offense around him to be as good as it can be. That means investing in it. I'm leaning offense right now. If we somehow could trade up a few spots, land Bowers and still get a tier 2 WR with our second pick this would be my dream scenario.

I don't see us using our first pick on a CB at all when we play so much zone. Top CBs are man-CBs. Good zone-CBs can be had in the later rounds.

A bit late but Nabers is going top 6. A trade up for him would cost too much. Odunze and Bowers are realistic and those are the guys we should target. If Bowers falls past 8, I think you should do everything you can to trade up for him. Agreed with everything else though. I think you can have a good but not elite CB group and still be successful. Colts can sign a few vets and call it a day (or draft someone later). I don't think we need a WR in round 2, unless it's worthy, if we draft Bowers. Bowers is basically that WR1 that we've been clamoring for. There's only 1 ball and a lot of mouths to feed with Pittman, Downs, Bowers, Taylor, etc. I'd take Worthy because his speed is something we don't have but Bowers kind of makes up for that with his explosiveness. I think we go CB/S in round 2 or maybe pass rusher depending on who is available. 

• Like 1

Here is a description of Bower from PFN's mock draft database:

Height: 6 - 3 | Weight: 225 | RAS: N/A

Brock Bowers is a wide receiver who happens to be large enough to block. Although his size doesn't allow for the pure flexibility of a 200 pound WR, his efficiency in transition and his strudy frame allow him to consistently separate. He has vice-grip hands and is a menace after the catch, and even on designed runs. - Dalton Miller

He has transcendant talent, generational talent per many scouts.  My question would be:  would you take him and play him at WR since our TEs are so large and are better suited for blocking?  I would still like to get a WR (Legette, Odunze, Thomas, or Franklin as MHJ is a pipe dream).  I think, if possible, draft Bowers in 1st Rd, Franklin or Legette in 2nd Rd to give our offense weapons.  

On 1/21/2024 at 10:52 AM, KB said:

The more I look into him, the more I'm convinced this is exactly who we need. Odunze has overshadowed him. IMO, this was the best WR at Udub (what the school is called here). Give him a year in an NFL S&C program, along with some time with coach Wayne and we got the WR1 everyone wants to go with Pittman.

His 40 time will be important 

• Like 1

On 1/23/2024 at 11:16 AM, IndyColtsFan411 said:

Here is a description of Bower from PFN's mock draft database:

Height: 6 - 3 | Weight: 225 | RAS: N/A

Brock Bowers is a wide receiver who happens to be large enough to block. Although his size doesn't allow for the pure flexibility of a 200 pound WR, his efficiency in transition and his strudy frame allow him to consistently separate. He has vice-grip hands and is a menace after the catch, and even on designed runs. - Dalton Miller

He has transcendant talent, generational talent per many scouts.  My question would be:  would you take him and play him at WR since our TEs are so large and are better suited for blocking?  I would still like to get a WR (Legette, Odunze, Thomas, or Franklin as MHJ is a pipe dream).  I think, if possible, draft Bowers in 1st Rd, Franklin or Legette in 2nd Rd to give our offense weapons.  

I would not put him at outside WR 

The kid can block and his talent is best exploited in lining him up at in line, slot , and H back 

He is a beast to cover

• Like 1

On 1/23/2024 at 10:48 AM, IndyScribe said:

A bit late but Nabers is going top 6. A trade up for him would cost too much. Odunze and Bowers are realistic and those are the guys we should target. If Bowers falls past 8, I think you should do everything you can to trade up for him. Agreed with everything else though. I think you can have a good but not elite CB group and still be successful. Colts can sign a few vets and call it a day (or draft someone later). I don't think we need a WR in round 2, unless it's worthy, if we draft Bowers. Bowers is basically that WR1 that we've been clamoring for. There's only 1 ball and a lot of mouths to feed with Pittman, Downs, Bowers, Taylor, etc. I'd take Worthy because his speed is something we don't have but Bowers kind of makes up for that with his explosiveness. I think we go CB/S in round 2 or maybe pass rusher depending on who is available. 

Respectfully. I could see CB trading up for a DE.  But I don’t see one in this draft that is can’t miss (but what do I know )

We have our other “trade up” positions already on the team. QB and LT

I think CB will probably trade back vs trade up

I could also see him keep the pick in round 1 and trade up in round 2

It might look like Cooper DeJean at 15 and AD Mitchell in early round 2 from a trade

Who knows

• Like 1

its unlikely Bowers will be there when we draft because i think another team or teams will be trying to jump up and grab him. They all know the same thing we do about how good he is so they will be doing everything to get him also.

• Like 1

Evan Anderson, DT, Florida Atlantic

6'3" 356 lbs

Big nose tackle that has a quick first step. Run stuffer and that's about it. This is someone to take at the end of the draft and have him sit behind Grover and learn/grow. Gives us a heavy body if Grover isn't around.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, KB said:

Evan Anderson, DT, Florida Atlantic

6'3" 356 lbs

Big nose tackle that has a quick first step. Run stuffer and that's about it. This is someone to take at the end of the draft and have him sit behind Grover and learn/grow. Gives us a heavy body if Grover isn't around.

I love this!

• Like 1

Found this to be interesting. Pretty much says that he had to choose between basketball and football and he chose football to make the money for his family. Respectable but makes me wonder about his love for the game. Gotta be all in to be a first round pick IMO. Likely chance to bust if not.

3 hours ago, KB said:

Found this to be interesting. Pretty much says that he had to choose between basketball and football and he chose football to make the money for his family. Respectable but makes me wonder about his love for the game. Gotta be all in to be a first round pick IMO. Likely chance to bust if not.

I looked at it the opposite way. This guys was a legit 2 sport athlete. Idk how much everyone here knows about college hoops, but he was playing for Tom Izzo which is nothing to take lightly. To me it seems like he made a decision that wasn’t about what HE wanted, but what would help his family. Most of these guys who are the best in the league and in the HoF are the same way. They loved the game but dreamt of making it to the league so they could take care of their families. If anything, the fact that he’s doing this for someone else means he’s even more dedicated. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

I looked at it the opposite way. This guys was a legit 2 sport athlete. Idk how much everyone here knows about college hoops, but he was playing for Tom Izzo which is nothing to take lightly. To me it seems like he made a decision that wasn’t about what HE wanted, but what would help his family. Most of these guys who are the best in the league and in the HoF are the same way. They loved the game but dreamt of making it to the league so they could take care of their families. If anything, the fact that he’s doing this for someone else means he’s even more dedicated. 

I can dig that, and yeah nothing but props for him choosing family. Maybe it was the way the author of the scouting report it came from painted it.

I can understand someone choosing football over basketball as far as easier to get money. I'm of the opinion that basketball players are the better athletes, and it's way harder to make it in the NBA vs NFL.

From a mock draft posted on the Athletic:

15. Indianapolis Colts: Rome Odunze, WR, Washington

This is an easy pick. Indianapolis can be just as dangerous on offense as Houston if Anthony Richardson is healthy and on the same track as he was to start the ’23 season.

Odunze was an explosive-play machine, ranking top five in total EPA among receivers. He only spent 16 percent of his snaps in the slot, but he can carve out a bigger role as someone you can move around. (He averaged 18 yards per catch aligned inside.) Having a receiver with Odunze’s potential versatility would open up creative ways to use Michael Pittman Jr. as an RPO and underneath threat.

On 1/23/2024 at 11:48 AM, IndyScribe said:

As fast as worthy is he didn't  score enough  tds

On 1/23/2024 at 10:48 AM, IndyScribe said:

Respectfully. 

I think we trade back vs trade up (M O of CB)

There are some excellent WRs that will be availailable in late round 1

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 5:13 PM, John Hammonds said:

Cooper DeJean is a smart, aggressive corner.  A willing and reliable tackler.  A brawler.  He would be great in a Cover-2 scheme, where the corners have to make the tackle in the flat without help.  He's not all that speedy, and may suffer when having to turn and run with NFL-caliber speed receivers.

Of the first round CBs Cooper may be the best scheme fit for the Bradley system because he requires CBs to consistently make those open field tackles, when they leave the check down passes open.

Does anyone think Edgerrin Cooper, LB Texas A&M will survive to our 2nd round pick? He seems to be exactly what our current LB group is missing when it comes to being a 3 down LB thats great in coverage, communicating, and he has the speed to close in on check downs/screens. Personally I don't think he will be a 1st rounder but could easily see him picked early in the 2nd. 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2023/12/29/edgerrin-cooper-scouting-report-nfl-draft-2024

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Does anyone think Edgerrin Cooper, LB Texas A&M will survive to our 2nd round pick? He seems to be exactly what our current LB group is missing when it comes to being a 3 down LB thats great in coverage, communicating, and he has the speed to close in on check downs/screens. Personally I don't think he will be a 1st rounder but could easily see him picked early in the 2nd. 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2023/12/29/edgerrin-cooper-scouting-report-nfl-draft-2024

He looks great to me

Very fast, can also release to rush the passer (8 sacks)

I hope he lasts til 3rd

6 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Of the first round CBs Cooper may be the best scheme fit for the Bradley system because he requires CBs to consistently make those open field tackles, when they leave the check down passes open.

The kid is a small LB with great speed

If you think about it, this zone defense can be played without these high end (Later expensive) CBs

I think we trade out of 15 (Maybe twice) and pick AD Mitchell or Brian Thomas at the end of round 1

If we can pick up multiple 2nd and 3rd, we could fill some holes and depth quickly

7 hours ago, Zoltan said:

I think he’ll be there, I just don’t think Ballard will be looking at LB with that pick. But I’d love it if he did. 

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

His 40 time will be very important

If you watch his tape he seems to always have separation

When I was in college, I always had separation, but my doctor used to tell that's not always a good thing. He called it separation anxiety disorder.

Ok seeing myself Outta here :D

Mohamed Kamara might be something to watch. DE at Oklahoma State. Really productive, bendy. Main knock is height (6’1”). He projects like a Shaq Barrett. He’ll be later round pick probably. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Mohamed Kamara might be something to watch. DE at Oklahoma State. Really productive, bendy. Main knock is height (6’1”). He projects like a Shaq Barrett. He’ll be later round pick probably. 

Apparently he was really good at the Shrine Bowl as well. 

This guy talks about him a bit. Mohamed Kamara starts at 8:00 min in the video. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Apparently he was really good at the Shrine Bowl as well. 

This guy talks about him a bit. Mohamed Kamara starts at 8:00 min in the video. 

Guy actually had crazy production. Last season he had 9.5 sack and 11.5 tfl in 6 games played. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KB said:

Guy actually had crazy production. Last season he had 9.5 sack and 11.5 tfl in 6 games played. 

He has the production, but I think he’ll fall to mid-late day 2 because of his height. He could be a real catch. 

• Like 1

I'm really liking the thought of Cam Hart in the second. If he last to that pick. Big CB woth good speed. Arguably the second best CB in the senior bowl. Apparently when Notre Dame went against Ohio State Hart was covering Harrison Jr and held him to 3 catches for 32 yards.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, KB said:

I'm really liking the thought of Cam Hart in the second. If he last to that pick. Big CB woth good speed. Arguably the second best CB in the senior bowl. Apparently when Notre Dame went against Ohio State Hart was covering Harrison Jr and held him to 3 catches for 32 yards.

Both PFF and PFN have him as a 4th rounder still. I think he’d be a steal in the 4th. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Solid84 said:

I think he’ll be there, I just don’t think Ballard will be looking at LB with that pick. But I’d love it if he did. 

I think this is one of the most interesting topics of this off-season.

Does Chris Ballard want to invest another Day 2 pick at LB to find his next Shaq Leonard?    

Or, does he believe that LB is now a deeply discounted defensive position for some teams as RB is on offense for other teams? 

I plan on writing about it on the draft page in the next day or so. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think this is one of the most interesting topics of this off-season.

Does Chris Ballard want to invest another Day 2 pick at LB to find his next Shaq Leonard?    

Or, does he believe that LB is now a deeply discounted defensive position for some teams as RB is on offense for other teams? 

I plan on writing about it on the draft page in the next day or so. 

I think LB is more important to the Colts than a lot of other teams.

I think our defensive scheme demands LBs who can cover and both Franklin and Speed got picked on at times this season. 

• Like 3

I’m coming around to drafting bowers if he’s there at 15.  I’m just so worried about drafting a WR in the second round because I can see the teams in the late first round grabbing wide receivers.  If we could somehow draft bowers and then trade into the late first and grab someone like leggette or AD I’d be happy.

otherwise, grab a WR at 15 depending on who’s there.  If Thomas or Odunze is available, no way I’d trade back.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2024 at 12:43 AM, Zoltan said:

There are some who are projecting Cooper at Safety as well.  I'm intrigued.

Sitting here thinking, we need a backup slot cb. Tony Brown is gone. I expect Moore to be resigned but we need his heir apparent in the building. Anyone in this upcoming draft that yall think we can get in the later rounds to fill that spot?

Still didn't find what I want at slot cb, but found Tyrice Knight, LB from UTEP. Someone to let grow but has all the tools. Not much of a blitzer, but has enough knowhow in the passing game that I think he fits well behind Franklin.

So far players I'm liking and may be around at each pick include:

1st: Terrion Arnold, CB, Quinyon Mitchell, CB, Cooper DeJean, CB, Brian Thomas Jr., WR, Kamren KINCHENS, S

I think we will be at the front before a run of CBs happen, since I think at least 3 QBs, 3 WRs, 3 OT and TE Bowers will go ahead of us. If this happens I could see us trade back with either the Steelers, Eagles, or Dolphins. Steelers may be looking at a QB if Penix falls (thats if the 3 qbs picked are Williams, Maye, and Daniels). Eagles may want to first pick at CB and Dolphins are always looking for OL help. If we pick Kinchens then I imagine we definitely trade back. 

2nd: Devontez WALKER, WR, Edgerrin COOPER, LB, Jermaine BURTON, WR, Calen BULLOCK,S

I really don't like the position of our 2nd rounder as its right out of range of the 1st rounders that fall to the early 2nd, but I think the best player that can be a day one starter that may be available is Edgerrin Cooper.

3rd: Brenden RICE, WR, Marist LIUFAU, LB, Malachi CORLEY, WR, McKinnley JACKSON, DL, Christian MAHOGANY, OG, Cooper BEEBE, OG 

Rice seems to have all the physical gifts to be good, and LiuFau would be a decent coverage back if we miss out on Cooper. Jackson looks like a decent backup to stewart as a block eater and run stopper. Corley has a lot of physical question marks that will be answered at the combine that can catapult him into the 2nd or drop him. Beebe and Mahogany can provide good depth at the OG position. 

4-7th: Sataoa LAUMEA, OT, Will SHIPLEY,RB, Taulia TAGOVAILOA, QB, Frank GORE JR., RB, Dylan LAUBE, RB, Blake FISHER, OT

Obviously alot is going to change as we learn more about the players, many players have question marks on their physical capabilities or height (depending on which site you look up CORLEY is either 6 ft or 5' 10"). As of right now I think we will have a defense heavy draft. As we have needs at Free Safety, CB, and coverage LB and a backup for Stewart. I'm not a big fan of the edges in this draft, each of the top just seem to have to big of question marks. If we do decide to draft a QB I think Taulia Tagovailoa is an interesting choice as he seemed to have a great career at Maryland and a decent arm to push the ball down field. I think we have to go RB somewhere between round 4-6 and if we go passing down back I like Shipley and Laube. If we want another Moss style 1-2 punch I think Gore Jr. would be a good choice.

• Like 2