Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts at Jags post game reaction

GoColts8818

13 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I am one person you can’t accuse of that. I said all week we would see his limitations. I defiantly did not hype him up.

I second you here, I remember you distinctly saying that. We all agreed Minshew is only good in close games with lots of running game and D support.

• Like 1

Even with the limited offense today, the probability of winning with a four turnover game by a QB is next to nothing. The Jags know Minshew well and forced him to throw the ball beyond 10 yards. Fully expect other teams to copy this by loading the box and forcing Minshew to throw - which will remind everyone of the past couple of seasons. Steichen will need to get very creative now to open up the running game going forward. Hoping he starts by utilizing the TE’s more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Brents had moments. Everyone loves his physicality but he also had a true welcome to the NFL moment.  He gets beat giving up too much of a cushion then the next play JuJu let them go over the top when he got caught peaking in the backfield. I thought Jones played better.  

Too many self inflicted wounds. The offsides on Buckner was huge. Although I have a problem with the call. I thought the officiating was poor all day. Minshew was obviously bad.  Steichen’s decision making and playing calling were poor today. 

The offense, coach and ST’s put the defense in bad spots all day.  I like Gus but he waited too long to bring pressure.  I don’t think the D played bad but I was frustrated by the cushion at times and poor tackling.  The Colts always tackle like crap against Etienne. Eric Johnson is not good at all. 

Just because Leonard made a couple of routine tackles that he should make it doesn’t mean he played okay.  His play in the 1st half wasn’t good. It was in fact very bad. He looks like someone who wants no part of contact. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Don’t even have much to say except not looking forward to rest of season. If you have players who can’t even be motivated by a division game this big you have the wrong players. Steichen playing calling was not good today either. It looked like Frank Reich and he didn’t know what he was doing.

Dear God…

• Like 2

Just now, Hawkeyecolt said:

Brents had moments. Everyone loves his physicality but he also had a true welcome to the NFL moment.  He gets beat giving up too much of a cushion then the next play JuJu let them go over the top when he got caught peaking in the backfield. I thought Jones played better.  

Too many self inflicted wounds. The offsides on Buckner was huge. Although I have a problem with the call. I thought the officiating was poor all day. Minshew was obviously bad.  Steichen’s decision making and playing calling were poor today. 

The offense, coach and ST’s put the defense in bad spots all day.  I like Gus but he waited too long to bring pressure.  I don’t think the D played bad but I was frustrated by the cushion at times and poor tackling.  The Colts always tackle like crap against Etienne. Eric Johnson is not good at all. 

Just because Leonard made a couple of routine tackles that he should make it doesn’t mean he played okay.  His play in the 1st half wasn’t good. It was in fact very bad. He looks like someone who wants no part of contact. 

Juste a note: It wasn't an offside on Buckner I believe - Neutral Zone Infraction.

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I second you here, I remember you distinctly saying that. We all agreed Minshew is only good in close games with lots of running game and D support.

I thought I was the only one who noticed this. Whenever the defense is struggling and he starts to make plays, the whole team comes alive. Once he started putting stuff together against the Rams in the second half, the defense was noticeably energized.

Just now, Defjamz26 said:

I thought I was the only one who noticed this. Whenever the defense is struggling and he starts to make plays, the whole team comes alive. Once he started putting stuff together against the Rams in the second half, the defense was noticeably energized.

Also taking points will get your defense energized. 

4 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Even with the limited offense today, the probability of winning with a four turnover game by a QB is next to nothing. The Jags know Minshew well and forced him to throw the ball beyond 10 yards. Fully expect other teams to copy this by loading the box and forcing Minshew to throw - which will remind everyone of the past couple of seasons. Steichen will need to get very creative now to open up the running game going forward. Hoping he starts by utilizing the TE’s more.

Other than the Jags know Minshew well part I agree with the rest. Minshew had nothing to do with any of the coaches in Jax.  I don’t get the limited use of Ogletree today. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

All garbage time stats because we were playing from behind basically all game and had to throw.

Um no he did that all game.  Btw the guy are praising caught five catches on eight targets for 21 yards.  You can’t say Downs was really good and Pittman sucks when Pittman has five times the production and both played the whole game.

• Like 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Watching the post game interviews with players. No one sounds mad. Do we have strong enough leadership on this team?

No because we have to be that “It’s okay to not be okay” soft crap going on here. I think that’s what it honestly is. 

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

his injuries haven’t been the result of not getting down.  They have been routine NFL tackles that’s why it’s concerning, you can’t say if the line just protected him better or if he would just slide he would be okay like you could with Luck.  He’s getting hurt on normal hits he’s going to take as a running QB.  He was going to the ground when he got hurt week one, week two came on just being pushed going out of bounds on a run, he got stepped on scrambling vs the Rams, and he was going down and took a normal hit a running QB is going to take vs the Titans.  So far he’s shown he can’t take normal hits and that’s part of why it’s concerning.  

Maybe those are normal hits in the case of a RB, but both the Texans TD run and the Titans run play were rough hits for a mobile QB that he should of avoided. He didn't notice the Texans DB and got blindsided after slowing down.  He then got driven into his shoulder by Jeffrey Simmons, who is a physical freak, with a full head of steam and another Titans DB. That isn't an average hit and I'd rather AR just slide once he notices Simmons is nearby. His injury issue is based on his awareness and hopefully he gets better at that as he grows in the league. Given how well he's done adapting to everything else with the game when most people thought he was going to be bad to begin with (including myself), I'm pretty confident he will.

11 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

couldnt have said it better

1 minute ago, colts89 said:

Maybe those are normal hits in the case of a RB, but both the Texans TD run and the Titans run play were rough hits for a mobile QB that he should have avoided. He didn't notice the Texans DB and got blindsided after slowing down.  He then got driven into his shoulder by Jeffrey Simmons, who is a physical freak, with a full head of steam and another Titans DB. That isn't an average hit and I'd rather AR just slide once he notices Simmons is nearby. His injury issue is based on his awareness and hopefully he gets better at that as he grows in the league. Given how well he's done adapting to everything else with the game when most people thought he was going to be bad to begin with (including myself), I'm pretty confident he will.

No the hits he took were pretty average hits. Watched Matt Ryan get drilled way worse last season and got back up.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Especially when you are playing with your backup QB.  Coming out of half time what did they say Shane said they needed to do to start the second half?  They came out ran one time and went right back to throwing.

Exactly.  That was baffling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

React to the Colts annual loss in Jacksonville.

Positives:

Matt Gay is still good

Pittman and Downs quietly played well

Leonard had a pretty decent game

Samson was the only guy on the line to show up all game

Brents will make both lists he showed some positives in this game as well

The Colts are one of like five teams to put up 20+ points in every game this season (look I am searching here)

Negatives:

It would probably be easier to just say everything else but here it goes.

Minshew showed why there is no QB controversy in Indy.  He’s a good back up but like most back ups if they play too long they show you why they are a backup.

The game plan right out of the box was just bad.  Why on earth you come out throwing with your backup QB when you just gave Taylor a boat load of money and Moss was coming off a career game against a good run defense is beyond me.  You aren’t going to win many games in the NFL with your back up QB throwing 50 or more passes a game.

Gus needs to learn you can’t get beat deep when it’s less than 10 yards to go to the end zone.

The Colts young secondary looked every bit the part today.

The Colts have to find away to go down the field with the pass game.  This game showed why dink and dunk isn’t going to work every drive every week.  
The d-line outside of Samson largely got man handled by the Jags.

The Jags also won the battle vs the o-line but I put a little bit of an * on this because the Colts never gave them a chance to establish the run and then played right into the Jags hand by letting them pen their ears back and rush the passer.  
Where were the tightends again?  
They say turnovers and penalties go on the head coach.  The penalties have been too much all year long and today the Colts didn’t protect the ball.  
No clue what’s going on with Alec but a shoulder injury and being ruled out that fast isn’t a good sign.  Alec had his best game of the season and the Colts have zero behind him however you feel about Alec.  

Looking for snap counts for the game. Pretty sure Ogletree never had a target . 

• Like 1

Seriously what is going on here with everybody? We did not want to win many games this year. This year was supposed to be hopefully seeing a rook QB progress. This team wasn't going to compete for a championship even if AR didn't get hurt.

Now we have a rook QB with an injured throwing shoulder. Instead of griping about losing to the jags or sulking because we may not win many games moving forward, which we should not want to do anyway, we need to pray the QB is able to throw before April and is healthy or pray the Colts are smart enough to draft another QB if he is not. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Which is what frustrated me. Olineman just pointing at a guy who has returned to his position shouldn’t be called. 

Neutral Zone Infractions get called immediately - before the snap. It's not a like an Offside where a defender can get back in place before the snap.

2 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Seriously what is going on here with everybody? We did not want to win many games this year. This year was supposed to be hopefully seeing a rook QB progress. This team wasn't going to compete for a championship even if AR didn't get hurt.

Now we have a rook QB with an injured throwing shoulder. Instead of griping about losing to the jags or sulking because we may not win many games moving forward, which we should not want to do anyway, we need to pray the QB is able to throw before April and is healthy or pray the Colts are smart enough to draft another QB if he is not. 

Because now we don’t even get to see Richardson. Now we get a boring dunk and dunk offense. At least with Richardson the games were exciting. You really want a replay of last season that wasn’t fun to watch.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Looking for snap counts for the game. Pretty sure Ogletree never had a target . 

He had 1 and Granson 4. 5 total for TEs and I believe all of them came in the 2nd half. That's just wierd playcalling in my opinion. Especially considering how well Ogletree has played.

Edit: Mallory also had a target. 6 total for TEs.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Right but it could really expose a bad roster.

I don’t think the roster is as bad as some think.  I mean everything in the NFL depends on the QB play.  Even the defense because if you have a good QB you sustain drives and the defense doesn’t wear out.  

Do I think the Colts roster needs more superstars?  Yes I do.  For the most part they have high end players but not many superstars outside of Taylor, Nelson, Buckner, and Shaq if he can get back to that level.  

With that said, if you watch the Colts there is clear progress from last year.  The fact they are still one of four teams in the NFL to score at least 20 points in every game six games in shows that.  

Ballard can also chalk up new comers making impacts, Gay, Samson, Downs, Brents, AR, and Gardner (today not withstanding).  He also got the call the oline situation right.  He’s also been proven hands down that he ripped the Bills off when he got Moss and a pick for Hines.  They have also seen guys like Ogletree make a big impact which would be a really nice find by him.  

Honestly I know Irsay didn’t close the door on firing Ballard but I think if he was going to do that he was going to do that last year.  I think it would have taken things going completely wrong, like worse than last year wrong, for him to fire Ballard this year and this year has not been that despite as disappointing as today was.  If he fires Ballard the new GM is going to want his own guys and that normally starts with the head coach and QB.  Both of those guys are brand new and I think it would have to take a 2011 Curtis Painter level fall apart for Irsay to fire Ballard this year and this team has already shown they are better than that team.

Irsay is also smart enough to know that if things go south this year it was because the QB got hurt and there was nothing Ballard could have done to prevent that.  It wasn’t the product of a bad line like with Luck and it wasn’t the product of not having a high end backup QB which the Colts have. The truth is any team in the NFL loses their starter at QB for an extended period of time it’s going to be a long season.  Backup QBs can only do so much and Irsay is smart enough to know that.  

I think today was a bad day and it’s okay to be disappointed and point out what went wrong but let’s not forget the good that was done the first five weeks (which Minshew was a large part of) and think this has become last year where the offense just never had a chance and it was only a matter of time before the defense would wear out in games.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Did Reich come back and to coach the colts today.

Seriously, if we came back with the exact same game plan in game 2 against them we deserved to lose. Not saying that's what happened, but if Steichen didn't make adjustments accordingly coming into the 2nd game that's disturbing...

• Like 1