Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts at Jags post game reaction

GoColts8818

React to the Colts annual loss in Jacksonville.

Positives:

Matt Gay is still good

Pittman and Downs quietly played well

Leonard had a pretty decent game

Samson was the only guy on the line to show up all game

Brents will make both lists he showed some positives in this game as well

The Colts are one of like five teams to put up 20+ points in every game this season (look I am searching here)

Negatives:

It would probably be easier to just say everything else but here it goes.

Minshew showed why there is no QB controversy in Indy.  He’s a good back up but like most back ups if they play too long they show you why they are a backup.

The game plan right out of the box was just bad.  Why on earth you come out throwing with your backup QB when you just gave Taylor a boat load of money and Moss was coming off a career game against a good run defense is beyond me.  You aren’t going to win many games in the NFL with your back up QB throwing 50 or more passes a game.

Gus needs to learn you can’t get beat deep when it’s less than 10 yards to go to the end zone.

The Colts young secondary looked every bit the part today.

The Colts have to find away to go down the field with the pass game.  This game showed why dink and dunk isn’t going to work every drive every week.  
The d-line outside of Samson largely got man handled by the Jags.

The Jags also won the battle vs the o-line but I put a little bit of an * on this because the Colts never gave them a chance to establish the run and then played right into the Jags hand by letting them pen their ears back and rush the passer.  
Where were the tightends again?  
They say turnovers and penalties go on the head coach.  The penalties have been too much all year long and today the Colts didn’t protect the ball.  
No clue what’s going on with Alec but a shoulder injury and being ruled out that fast isn’t a good sign.  Alec had his best game of the season and the Colts have zero behind him however you feel about Alec.  

• Like 2

Please no one ever say Minshew should start over AR ever again. Way too many people were proclaiming that with their chest when it couldn't be further from the truth. Nooooooo.

You beat Minshew if your D packs the box and commits to stopping the run game and short yardage. He can't throw it deep and can barely throw medium chunk plays, so letting that be exposed isn't a big deal. Jags run a D that does just that.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

Colts didn’t lean on their strength. Run the dang ball. Bad coaching

Yeah I was really unimpressed with Shane today.  Bad game plan to start, team is undisciplined, and some very questionable decisions in game as well.  One game but he looked every bit like a rookie coach.  I wish there had been an experienced coach to go get like Pederson this past off-season.  Oh well.

• Like 3

Just now, Patrick Miller said:

When you have Taylor and moss there’s no excuse not to run the ball a majority of the time.

Especially when you are playing with your backup QB.  Coming out of half time what did they say Shane said they needed to do to start the second half?  They came out ran one time and went right back to throwing.

11 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Don’t even have much to say except not looking forward to rest of season. If you have players who can’t even be motivated by a division game this big you have the wrong players. Steichen playing calling was not good today either. It looked like Frank Reich and he didn’t know what he was doing.

Exactly what i was thinking. Well said.

• Like 1

I'm not blaming Steichen too much for this game. The Jags were selling out to play the run and short pass game. They were asking the Colts to throw the ball at least 10-15 yards. It is up to the NFL QB to take those opportunities and offenses shouldn't shy away from those scenarios. Minshew, however, isn't able to capitalize on those kind of plays. That's always been his weakness.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

React to the Colts annual loss in Jacksonville.

Positives:

Matt Gay is still good

Pittman and Downs quietly played well

Leonard had a pretty decent game

Samson was the only guy on the line to show up all game

Brents will make both lists he showed some positives in this game as well

The Colts are one of like five teams to put up 20+ points in every game this season (look I am searching here)

Negatives:

It would probably be easier to just say everything else but here it goes.

Minshew showed why there is no QB controversy in Indy.  He’s a good back up but like most back ups if they play too long they show you why they are a backup.

The game plan right out of the box was just bad.  Why on earth you come out throwing with your backup QB when you just gave Taylor a boat load of money and Moss was coming off a career game against a good run defense is beyond me.  You aren’t going to win many games in the NFL with your back up QB throwing 50 or more passes a game.

Gus needs to learn you can’t get beat deep when it’s less than 10 yards to go to the end zone.

The Colts young secondary looked every bit the part today.

The Colts have to find away to go down the field with the pass game.  This game showed why dink and dunk isn’t going to work every drive every week.  
The d-line outside of Samson largely got man handled by the Jags.

The Jags also won the battle vs the o-line but I put a little bit of an * on this because the Colts never gave them a chance to establish the run and then played right into the Jags hand by letting them pen their ears back and rush the passer.  
Where were the tightends again?  
They say turnovers and penalties go on the head coach.  The penalties have been too much all year long and today the Colts didn’t protect the ball.  
No clue what’s going on with Alec but a shoulder injury and being ruled out that fast isn’t a good sign.  Alec had his best game of the season and the Colts have zero behind him however you feel about Alec.  

Season 5 Friends Tv Show GIF by Friends

• Like 1

1 minute ago, colts89 said:

I'm not blaming Steichen too much for this game. The Jags were selling out to play the run and short pass game. They were asking thr Colts to throw the ball at least 10-15 yards. It is up to the NFL QB to take those opportunities and offense shouldn't shy away from those scenarios. Minshew, however, isn't able to capitalize on those kind of plays. That's always been his weakness.

This....

Minshew ain't no Brady 6th rd pick. He's your average 6th rd pick.

We just gotta play this thing out until AR gets back.

• Like 2

All I'll say is I hope the media tears this team a new one. Same with every commentator that's local and national, and every sports site on tv and the internet. I want Irsay to see the rage from everyone on how embarrassing this game was to watch, how every Colts fan wasted their time today, and how we have to feel about being represented by this garbage on the field.

Yes, I'm emotional and upset right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, colts89 said:

He is 5 games into his career. 

Yeah which is why the fact he keeps getting hurt and could miss the rest of the season is so concerning.  This shouldn’t be an issue for any player five games into his career, let  alone a franchise QB that has been protected really well.  

• Like 2

Just now, colts89 said:

He is 5 games into his career. 

And unavailable after 5 games.  

There might be 2-3 people who would start Minshew over Richardson, regardless, but the rest of us have no choice.  You go with who is available.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Depending on if you believe some of the reports today that’s IF AR gets back.

Yeah I hear ya.

I just meant it's minshew unfortunately for the short term.

They better be figuring out a plan if AR is damaged goods.

• Like 1

Just now, IinD said:

Yeah I hear ya.

I just meant it's minshew unfortunately for the short term.

They better be figuring out a plan if AR is damaged goods.

They aren’t going to give up on AR after five games regardless of what happens with his injury.  What this offense needs badly is a WR who can stretch the field.  There are couple of those guys in this draft.  Marvin Jr is clearly the one every one knows but there is a FSU kid in this draft that can as well that might be a more realistic target.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Last time we won in Jacksonville was 2014.

Last time we beat the Steelers was in 2008.

I’m getting tired y’all. I’m gettin’ tired. 

Tired Giving Up GIF

I don’t want to scare you but the Colts went 0 for three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh before Manning and company finally beat them in Heinz.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

They aren’t going to give up on AR after five games regardless of what happens with his injury.  What this offense needs badly is a WR who can stretch the field.  There are couple of those guys in this draft.  Marvin Jr is clearly the one every one knows but there is a FSU kid in this draft that can as well that might be a more realistic target.

Very true. This offense right now seems very old school run it.

There's no Marvin/Reggie/TY on this team.

The Good

• Brents had a good game as did Ebukam, but they were just about the only defenders that did in my opinion.
  • Moss and JT were both good in the passing game, but for whatever reason Steichen didn't want to run today.
  • Downs and Pittman was about the only players on Offense besides the Oline maybe, but even the Oline had a down game I feel.

The Bad

• Minshew... just... Minshew.. The guy's great off the bench, but limited as a starter. The best news about Minshew right now is he probably played against the team that knew him best. Hopefully that means we've seen him at his worst this year.
  • Another slow start by the defense.
  • Stupid early penalties by Lewis and Dayo.
  • Steichen not running the ball was mindboggling, especially when you consider how well Moss ran last week. I feel like it always ends up like this against the Jags - one dimensional offense.
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah which is why the fact he keeps getting hurt and could miss the rest of the season is so concerning.  This shouldn’t be an issue for any player five games into his career, let  alone a franchise QB that has been protected really well.  

??? Players can get hurt on any play in any game. AR just got hurt in his 5th game unfortunately. He just has to learn when to slide/drop better if someone like Simmons is sprinting across the field ready to lay you out. It'll take a few more times of him getting injured for me to call him injury prone.

The other time he got hurt was a concussion. Plenty of players back in the day would of played through those, but this is the new NFL. You're going to see more players then ever sitting out for concussions now.

• Like 1