Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Minshew better NFL QB than Richardson.

lennymoore24

AR isn’t Mahomes or Burrow yet, but he’s extremely talented and has consistently flashed the potential to reach that level in his first few games. At the moment, Minshew is the better “NFL quarterback”, but AR could very easily surpass him when healthy. Aside from the injuries (which I think are just bad luck) I have not seen anything from Richardson, on or off the field, that makes me think he is Ryan Leaf or Akili Smith. He has improved tremendously in just six months, he has a good head on his shoulders, he’s a hard worker and loved by his teammates, and he is, by NFL combine measurements at least, the most athletic QB to ever play in the league. I see no reason at the moment to think he won’t make the most of that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

Again, some Colts fans make my head spin.  They think just because Richardson was drafted high, he is automatically a franchise QB and will do great things.  Based on what? His college stats?  No.  His draft position?  See Ryan Leaf, JaMarcus Russell, Akili Smith, etc.  I get tired of this "Minshew is the best backup in the NFL".  Minshew is a better NFL QB than Richardson.  He always has been and always will be.  The #1 attributes an NFL needs to have is the ability to read a defense, process what he is seeing, and deliver the ball accurate.  It isn't throwing the ball 70 yards. Or running faster than everyone.  Sure, it is helpful if he has a big arm ON TOP of what I mentioned. Or is fast on top of what I mentioned.  The ONLY thing I have seen from Richardson is he is fast, has a strong arm, is good at throwing quick, redetermined passes, and gets hurt easily so far.  When he has had to try to read a defense and put the ball down field, he is usually WAY off target.  Very inaccurate, but that is what he has in college.

For me, Richardson\Minshew is very similar to Lance\Purdy.  You can talk all you want about Lance having every physical aspect you want in a QB, but at the end of the day, Purdy is so much better at playing NFL QB.  Minshew, to me, it much like Purdy. Not the biggest guy, but throws the ball incredibly accurately and processes quickly.  I hope things turn out where Minshew is the starter and Richardson is a backup that comes in on short yardage situations.  

The hype on Richardson is annoying. The guy will be 3-17 on 3rd and 4th down, but they will praise him. He will do nothing for 3 quarters than lead a few drives and they say "He put the team on his shoulders". WHAT??  He is the reason they did nothing for 3 quarters.  He is too streaky. I hope Minshew does well the next 4 weeks and keeps him on the bench.  Because, as I said, Minshew has been and always will be a better NFL QB than Richardson. At some point, you will see that is very clear.

I absolutely agree with the bolded. It's surprising so much of this fan base doesn't feel this way after watching Manning play for so many years. 

Definitely not a fan of running QBs. And it is a bit weird how some talk about Richardson like he is some accomplished player. 

I will also say that Richardson also looks a little bit better than I expected. 

But I was also really surprised at how good Minshew has looked and wonder what he can do with the proper coaching staff and investment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

Again, some Colts fans make my head spin.  They think just because Richardson was drafted high, he is automatically a franchise QB and will do great things.  Based on what? His college stats?  No.  His draft position?  See Ryan Leaf, JaMarcus Russell, Akili Smith, etc.  I get tired of this "Minshew is the best backup in the NFL".  Minshew is a better NFL QB than Richardson.  He always has been and always will be.  The #1 attributes an NFL needs to have is the ability to read a defense, process what he is seeing, and deliver the ball accurate.  It isn't throwing the ball 70 yards. Or running faster than everyone.  Sure, it is helpful if he has a big arm ON TOP of what I mentioned. Or is fast on top of what I mentioned.  The ONLY thing I have seen from Richardson is he is fast, has a strong arm, is good at throwing quick, redetermined passes, and gets hurt easily so far.  When he has had to try to read a defense and put the ball down field, he is usually WAY off target.  Very inaccurate, but that is what he has in college.

For me, Richardson\Minshew is very similar to Lance\Purdy.  You can talk all you want about Lance having every physical aspect you want in a QB, but at the end of the day, Purdy is so much better at playing NFL QB.  Minshew, to me, it much like Purdy. Not the biggest guy, but throws the ball incredibly accurately and processes quickly.  I hope things turn out where Minshew is the starter and Richardson is a backup that comes in on short yardage situations.  

The hype on Richardson is annoying. The guy will be 3-17 on 3rd and 4th down, but they will praise him. He will do nothing for 3 quarters than lead a few drives and they say "He put the team on his shoulders". WHAT??  He is the reason they did nothing for 3 quarters.  He is too streaky. I hope Minshew does well the next 4 weeks and keeps him on the bench.  Because, as I said, Minshew has been and always will be a better NFL QB than Richardson. At some point, you will see that is very clear.

I agree,and have said these things before, except for the part about always being better than Richardson. That may or may not be true, only time will tell. I do hope Richardson becomes a top qb, but all I have seen to date is a top athlete with potential. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, husker61 said:

I agree,and have said these things before, except for the part about always being better than Richardson. That may or may not be true, only time will tell. I do hope Richardson becomes a top qb, but all I have seen to date is a top athlete with potential. 

What else to you want to see? Led the team to a large lead against Houston. Led a 23-point comeback against LA. If the kicker hits a 45-yard FG we win. Had us in the lead against TN. Was what 10 for 12 for 98 yards. over 8 yards a pass play which is in the elite status.  Has only thrown 1 interception. This is as a rookie. What else do you want him to do in a short period of time? 

In the Baltimore Game Minshew could only muster one TD. Aginst TN only on TD, zero passing.

Yet,  Minshew is a great QB and Richardson is underperforming? It makes no sense whatsoever unless you are looking through Rose Colored glasses. 

• Like 3

AR is just as advertised, YOUNG, STRONG, RAW.  He is a warrior, he has the will to win.  When he gets tired of getting hurt, and missing the competition, hopefully the injuries will subside.  I also think signing Minshew is the best move Ballard has made as our GM.

2 hours ago, JediXMan said:

This thread is literally lock worthy smh.

I thought about locking or even deleting it, but doing so sends the message that some opinions are not welcomed. I don't think that is the message we want to send, but everyone can voice their opinions  Some agree with Lenny, but most members of the forum don't. That is good to see.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

That was quite a long post to basically say a lot of nothing!!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

Disagree Dating Game GIF by BabylonBee

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

This is why you don't drink and post folks

What's a redetermined pass? Surely not the broken play TD to Cox, or the powerful play to Alec Pierce while being being tackled by Aaron Donald.  Sure,  Purdy looks like an elite processor, and yes, Richardson's health is a concern,  but I doubt Purdy makes that throw to Pierce, and it was only the Rams game,  in the third qtr. that they really opened it up for him.   To each his own opinion,  but I'm excited every time I see him on the field.   On a side note,  I really do like Purdy.  My dad called it that he would be stud in the NFL, and it looks like he was right!

• Like 2

Reading defenses and making the right play are the 2 most important things. That is what Peyton did great. From what I have seen so far, AR has been above average at worse doing that. That hasn't been the problem, problem is he keeps getting Injured. He can still run, just do it out of the pocket and then slide. No design runs should be called. Being a dual QB has its advantages.

• Like 4

Im reading ESPN Ticker and it's saying AR probably needs surgery.  Man if AR is out for the season and Minshew can't get us to the SB.  Im honestly hoping we pick top 5 again to get another franchise QB.  I think AR is great but I don't think his body will hold up in the NFL.  Probably all just bad luck for AR. 

12 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Interesting that Lenny hasn’t followed up his original post, eh?

Lenny essentially passed smelly gas in a crowded elevator, immediately got off at the next floor, and is now watching the reactions of the remaining elevator passengers via hidden camera after the elevator got stuck.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, IanColts22 said:

Im reading ESPN Ticker and it's saying AR probably needs surgery.  Man if AR is out for the season and Minshew can't get us to the SB.  Im honestly hoping we pick top 5 again to get another franchise QB.  I think AR is great but I don't think his body will hold up in the NFL.  Probably all just bad luck for AR. 

Falls Homer Simpson GIF

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Reading defenses and making the right play are the 2 most important things. That is what Peyton did great. From what I have seen so far, AR has been above average at worse doing that. That hasn't been the problem, problem is he keeps getting Injured. He can still run, just do it out of the pocket and then slide. No design runs should be called. Being a dual QB has its advantages.

Wow, a post where I agree with everything you said.

I would pump the brakes a bit on not calling running plays.  That is a fundamental function of a dual threat QB.  But I think most would prefer that their dual threat as a youngster evolves more into a simple scrambler to escape and extend the pass as the passing game improves.  If he can survive the period where he has to use running plays to open up some passing threats, it looks like his passing acumen is great...just need consistent mechanics.  That's something that PM practiced his entire career.

1 minute ago, MarylandTerrapin said:

Lenny essentially passed smelly gas in a crowded elevator, immediately got off at the next floor, and is now watching the reactions of the remaining elevator passengers via hidden camera after the elevator got stuck.

Which is always a fun thing to do......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, MarylandTerrapin said:

This might be the best of this thread , one of the funniest things I have ever heard Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Wow, a post where I agree with everything you said.

I would pump the brakes a bit on not calling running plays.  That is a fundamental function of a dual threat QB.  But I think most would prefer that their dual threat as a youngster evolves more into a simple scrambler to escape and extend the pass as the passing game improves.  If he can survive the period where he has to use running plays to open up some passing threats, it looks like his passing acumen is great...just need consistent mechanics.  That's something that PM practiced his entire career.

Which is always a fun thing to do......

I shocked ol' Doug Heart Attack Fred Sanford GIF by MOODMAN- yeah we don't agree on much, so I had to pull a Fred Sanford.

13 minutes ago, BigQ said:

AR is still so young and needs more reps. He’s 6 months younger than Caleb Williams. Let’s give the kid a chance. 

Yeah, absolutely way, way, way too early to act is if he can not improve. 

I don't agree with Kenny saying that he will never be better than Minshew at passing. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Yeah, absolutely way, way, way too early to act is if he can not improve. 

I don't agree with Kenny saying that he will never be better than Minshew at passing. 

At least you didn't let your bias against "running QBs" cloud your rational judgement in speaking too early about AR.

All that everyone is asking is that he be given a chance to morph into a "pass first" QB with an ability to run on timely occasions, once we can get him there "without much hurt". :) 

• Like 2

Damn confirmed AR on the IR list.  If AR needs surgery on his throwing shoulder it's gonna set him back so far.  He can be a franchise QB I can see it in AR.  But I don't think his body can handle it.  Let's pray no surgery.  But if he does need surgery it's time to get an insurance policy if Minshew can't become a franchise QB.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This might be the best of this thread , one of the funniest things I have ever heard Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

That was funny by MarylandTerrapin. :funny:  One of my favorites which was posted by a formerly very active member, SouthWest1, was:

dont-let-the-door-hit-ya-where-the-good-

At the time, I had never heard that and thought it was his own creation. haha (He posted that to show what he thought of Brad Wells leaving a Colts site.)

I can imagine SW1 using that here.

Anyway, all the best on Sunday. You have a competent QB to hold the fort until Richardson is well enough to play again.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

Really, this ridiculous.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, chickenMan said:

AR isn’t Mahomes or Burrow yet, but he’s extremely talented and has consistently flashed the potential to reach that level in his first few games. 

He will never be a classic passer like Burrow but he can be a "pass first and run well when necessary" QB like Mahomes. Burrow runs only when necessary but not when he needs 10 plus yards, but Mahomes can get you the 10-20 yards running if necessary, that is the difference. But both are pass first.

Mahomes is more nimble with his feet and elusive to avoid contact, even from his Year 1. He is shorter than AR and lighter too, that helps with that aspect of his game, IMO.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

That was funny by MarylandTerrapin. :funny:  One of my favorites which was posted by a formerly very active member, SouthWest1, was:

dont-let-the-door-hit-ya-where-the-good-

At the time, I had never heard that and thought it was his own creation. haha (He posted that to show what he thought of Brad Wells leaving a Colts site.)

I can imagine SW1 using that here.

Anyway, all the best on Sunday. You have a competent QB to hold the fort until Richardson is well enough to play again.

Yeah SW1 hasn't posted in like a year I think?? Hope he is ok.

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Mahomes is more nimble with his feet and elusive to avoid contact, even from his Year 1. He is shorter than AR and lighter too, that helps with that aspect of his game, IMO.

I'd wager that AR tests better than Mahomes, but AR does not have the escapability Mahomes does.  AR actually looks a bit slower than what I thought he would look coming into the NFL.  Bigger humans simply aren't as quick footed.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Stephen said:

Not reading that. Fact is minshew is a game manager  and if we go down 21 to 0 to the jags it's  game over. On a stacked Philly team he went 1 and 3. As a back up minshew is great as a starter if moss and Taylor aren't going  off every game and the defense  doesn't  show up we will lose

Your right but maybe just maybe Shane wanted Minshew to play the game that way.  But now it's totally different let's see.  Minshew is given the opportunity now with a full playbook practicing time with the starters etc... 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JMichael557 said:

What else to you want to see? Led the team to a large lead against Houston. Led a 23-point comeback against LA. If the kicker hits a 45-yard FG we win. Had us in the lead against TN. Was what 10 for 12 for 98 yards. over 8 yards a pass play which is in the elite status.  Has only thrown 1 interception. This is as a rookie. What else do you want him to do in a short period of time? 

In the Baltimore Game Minshew could only muster one TD. Aginst TN only on TD, zero passing.

Yet,  Minshew is a great QB and Richardson is underperforming? It makes no sense whatsoever unless you are looking through Rose Colored glasses. 

Take their names and remember to ignore them. They are a waste of time.

Minshew does have limitations, but it will be interesting watching him the next few weeks to see what he can become here and now.

8 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Take their names and remember to ignore them. They are a waste of time.

Minshew does have limitations, but it will be interesting watching him the next few weeks to see what he can become here and now.

Wasn't it at Jacksonville where he had a little run? But then, when they pressured him constantly, he couldn't escape the pocket and deliver, which is to be expected. So, yes, if we have a 2 TD deficit, he is a sitting duck waiting to be pressured, IMO. I was also surprised, for a vet, with his lack of pressure recognition vs the Ravens. He moves sideways away from the pressure hoping to release it but he ain't running away from defenders for double digit yards.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

At least you didn't let your bias against "running QBs" cloud your rational judgement in speaking too early about AR.

All that everyone is asking is that he be given a chance to morph into a "pass first" QB with an ability to run on timely occasions, once we can get him there "without much hurt". :) 

With his athleticism, if he ever becomes great at passing, he will obviously be an amazing player – and I hope he does – but I find it weird that many talk as if this transformation is a foregone conclusion or get upset at any criticism towards Richardson while giving the benefit of any doubt. 

Also, him seemingly being fragile is also a big downer so far because it kind of defeats the the entire reason he was drafted so highly. Hopefully, these injuries turn out to be just anomalies and not a trend. 

So with the history of running QBs rarely turning in to good passers, and him being injured so early, I don't see how being down on Richardson at the moment is being viewed as ridiculous by the majority of Colts fans. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

With his athleticism, if he ever becomes great at passing, he will obviously be an amazing player – and I hope he does – but I find it weird that many talk as if this transformation is a foregone conclusion or get upset at any criticism towards Richardson while giving the benefit of any doubt. 

Also, him seemingly being fragile is also a big downer so far because it kind of defeats the the entire reason he was drafted so highly. Hopefully, these injuries turn out to be just anomalies and not a trend. 

So with the history of running QBs rarely turning in to good passers, and him being injured so early, I don't see how being down on Richardson at the moment is being viewed as ridiculous by the majority of Colts fans. 

sorry but this is a  joke in what the OP said

"For me, Richardson\Minshew is very similar to Lance\Purdy."

5 games into the season and we make this ridiculous statement. I stopped reading from there. 

17 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

He hasn't finished his games. This is known; but I'm not sure I'd label him as 'fragile'. Its not like its the same body part, or area over and over again. He had a bruised knee - that he could have come back into the game for (coaches left him on the sidelines during garbage time). Then he had a concussion (that he was insightful enough to self-report). Then he had a linebacker land on his throwing shoulder. I don't see fragile, yet. I see opportunity for him to learn how to protect himself.