Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Irony of Minshew-Mania

MarylandTerrapin

The Colts haven't won on the road against the Jags since 2014.  Next week, G-Min will be starting against his former team in an effort to end the streak.  Hopefully, the presence of Moss & Taylor will open up some passing plays downfield as the game goes on.  I have a good feeling about this team because they play hard every week, a reflection on the HC.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I wonder if we'll see any sets with both JT and Moss in the backfield at the same time?  Motion either one out to the slot and then jet sweep them.

Maybe I should send some plays to Shane, I'm sure he'd appreciate it.

Not sure about jet sweeps so soon for JT, but I could see him eventually lined up in the slot to make a play in space.  As the season goes on though, I can see Shane getting creative with the formations.  I would like a see an occasional WR sweep with Downs like they did with Dulin and De'Michael Harris a few years back.  Downs has been a pleasant surprise so far as a rookie.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, MarylandTerrapin said:

Not sure about jet sweeps so soon for JT, but I could see him eventually lined up in the slot to make a play in space.  As the season goes on though, I can see Shane getting creative with the formations.  I would like a see an occasional WR sweep with Downs like they did with Dulin and De'Michael Harris a few years back.  Downs has been a pleasant surprise so far as a rookie.

Downs isn't a surprise  I honestly  expected  more. He is much better wr than Pittman  and pierce were coming  out of college 

• Like 1

Running the ball, keeping the game close and finishing it in the 4th qtr., something we did not do in game 1.

If that is the script, Minshew can win it. If we let the Jaguars go up 14-0, game over, IMO, Minshew is not slinging it 40 plus times to win it for us.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Running the ball, keeping the game close and finishing it in the 4th qtr., something we did not do in game 1.

If that is the script, Minshew can win it. If we let the Jaguars go up 14-0, game over, IMO, Minshew is not slinging it 40 plus times to win it for us.

The key is staying balance ed in the run/pass game and defense not giving up many big plays. You are right we are in trouble if Minshew has to throw it that many times.

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The key is not turning over the football. We did that too often in the first game. Also we need to kick fgs instead of being too aggressive,if we get a turn over we need to score a td off it,and finally average more than 1 yard a carry

51 minutes ago, MarylandTerrapin said:

The Colts haven't won on the road against the Jags since 2014.  Next week, G-Min will be starting against his former team in an effort to end the streak.  Hopefully, the presence of Moss & Taylor will open up some passing plays downfield as the game goes on.  I have a good feeling about this team because they play hard every week, a reflection on the HC.

Fear the Turtle! And Fear the Stache! Shane needs to get them in a controlled 90 degree practice facility on Thursday and Friday and do the Wednesday walk-through practice again in preparation for the Florida heat. This 2014 streak has gone on too long!

3 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Fear the Turtle! And Fear the Stache! Shane needs to get them in a controlled 90 degree practice facility on Thursday and Friday and do the Wednesday walk-through practice again in preparation for the Florida heat. This 2014 streak has gone on too long!

Sunny a high of only 76. Actually not too hot.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

I wonder if we'll see any sets with both JT and Moss in the backfield at the same time?  Motion either one out to the slot and then jet sweep them.

Maybe I should send some plays to Shane, I'm sure he'd appreciate it.

Bring back the wildcat with JT and moss?

41 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The key is staying balance ed in the run/pass game and defense not giving up many big plays. You are right we are in trouble if Minshew has to throw it that many times.

I think Steichen does a very good job of keeping things balanced

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Downs isn't a surprise  I honestly  expected  more. He is much better wr than Pittman  and pierce were coming  out of college 

Downs may end up being a poor man's Hilton, which I'll take any day.  Hilton was a deep threat and AR being injured a lot limits YPC for Downs, but he's still on pace for nearly 80 catches and close to 900 yards for his rookie season, I'll take that any day as well, especially with JT and Moss in the backfield.  I would like more receiving TDs, but I've accepted the fact that, by season's end, this team will probably have more rushing TDs than receiving TDs.   

1 hour ago, MarylandTerrapin said:

That's not ironic.   

32 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

We played Ohio State well for 2 and a half quarters, but then got our butts handed to us - we should get a decent bowl game and be in the top 25 by year's end. 

G-Min reminded me of Hulk Hogan back in his WWF/WWE days during yesterday's victory celebration!

2 hours ago, MarylandTerrapin said:

Downs may end up being a poor man's Hilton, which I'll take any day.  Hilton was a deep threat and AR being injured a lot limits YPC for Downs, but he's still on pace for nearly 80 catches and close to 900 yards for his rookie season, I'll take that any day as well, especially with JT and Moss in the backfield.  I would like more receiving TDs, but I've accepted the fact that, by season's end, this team will probably have more rushing TDs than receiving TDs.   

He can be better  than hilton.

• Like 1

Minshew has been awesome coming off the bench. However, it is a totally different game when he is the starter, and the opposing defense has a week to prepare for him. He has bounced around and is a backup for a reason. If Richrdaon is done for an extended time, this team may be picking top 5. It could get  that bad. I wonder what the Colts would do if we were on the skids and Richardson wasn't scheduled to come back till like 4 games left  in the season,? I would shelve him and go for the pick lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Minshew has been awesome coming off the bench. However, it is a totally different game when he is the starter, and the opposing defense has a week to prepare for him. He has bounced around and is a backup for a reason. If Richrdaon is done for an extended time, this team may be picking top 5. It could get  that bad. I wonder what the Colts would do if we were on the skids and Richardson wasn't scheduled to come back till like 4 games left  in the season,? I would shelve him and go for the pick lol.

Yes.  You would.

It’s impossible not to love and respect GM, but he will get exposed the more he plays. If our D keeps games low-scoring and we run the ball well, we can win. Expecting GM to put up a lot of points or win a shootout doesn’t seem realistic to me but I’m rooting for the guy to hold down the fort. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

It’s impossible not to love and respect GM, but he will get exposed the more he plays. If our D keeps games low-scoring and we run the ball well, we can win. Expecting GM to put up a lot of points or win a shootout doesn’t seem realistic to me but I’m rooting for the guy to hold down the fort. 

This is exactly why it was important to get JT back.  We just need G-Min to manage the game, make a couple plays, and not turn the ball over, which he hasn't.  Our 4 turnovers were by Jackson (2) - who was cut and by AR (2).  Our D is playing well, we have solid STs, and our HC is making the team play hard.  I expect AR to be back after the bye when we play the Bucs on Nov 26th.  Meanwhile, our schedule is:

at Jags

Browns

Saints

at Panthers

at Patriots (Germany)

Next week is a must win if we really want to contend for the division because the Jags have it a tougher over the same stretch:

Colts

at Saints

at Steelers

49ers

Titans

It starts Sunday - we ended two streaks by beating the Titans, now it's time to end another one by beating the Jags.

• Like 4

Im not giving up on minshew, i dont follow him much but that seattle guy had a good year, if hes been working hard enough, things will get better. Plus our te wr room is pretty good, downs, mpj, ogletree have stood out. Pierce really needs to step up, whats going on with him? I expected him to do much better than he has. :(

57 minutes ago, MarylandTerrapin said:

That remains to be seen.  AR needs to stay healthy first.  Downs can make plays in space with G-Min, but AR needs to be healthy for Downs to be a consistent deep threat like TY was.

I mean better overall  wr catch and yardage  wise. He just needs targets.

1 hour ago, MarylandTerrapin said:

This is exactly why it was important to get JT back.  We just need G-Min to manage the game, make a couple plays, and not turn the ball over, which he hasn't.  Our 4 turnovers were by Jackson (2) - who was cut and by AR (2).  Our D is playing well, we have solid STs, and our HC is making the team play hard.  I expect AR to be back after the bye when we play the Bucs on Nov 26th.  Meanwhile, our schedule is:

at Jags

Browns

Saints

at Panthers

at Patriots (Germany)

Next week is a must win if we really want to contend for the division because the Jags have it a tougher over the same stretch:

Colts

at Saints

at Steelers

49ers

Titans

It starts Sunday - we ended two streaks by beating the Titans, now it's time to end another one by beating the Jags.

Saints and 49ers may give jags trouble. Saints will give us trouble patriots and steelers  as well. Though they have been playing worse they have our number.

11 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Have you seen Mustache play, we aren't picking in no top 5 lmao 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stephen said:

He can be better  than hilton.

Talking about TY, I saw his kid Eugene Hilton play WR and catch a TD pass vs Brownsburg High School in that game, he has very good speed too but will have more size than his Dad once he is done growing. Check his 80 yard reception vs Brownsburg in this.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/16084057/Eugene-Hilton

However, Brownsburg, man their RB Sherrell, he has blazing speed, check this article on him:

https://www.wishtv.com/sports/high-school-the-zone/athlete-of-the-week-garrett-sherrell/

He can get to the edge real fast, he will get college offers, IMO:

https://www.maxpreps.com/in/brownsburg/brownsburg-bulldogs/athletes/garrett-sherrell/media/videos/?careerid=t6edli0abtb44

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Talking about TY, I saw his kid Eugene Hilton play WR and catch a TD pass vs Brownsburg High School in that game, he has very good speed too but will have more size than his Dad once he is done growing. Check his 80 yard reception vs Brownsburg in this.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/16084057/Eugene-Hilton

However, Brownsburg, man their RB Sherrell, he has blazing speed, check this article on him:

https://www.wishtv.com/sports/high-school-the-zone/athlete-of-the-week-garrett-sherrell/

He can get to the edge real fast, he will get college offers, IMO:

https://www.maxpreps.com/in/brownsburg/brownsburg-bulldogs/athletes/garrett-sherrell/media/videos/?careerid=t6edli0abtb44

Yeah - I heard about TY's son too - he's already taller than his dad, but needs to add a few pounds, which he will.  Interesting that he will be speedy like dad, but with more size.  Hmm...sound familiar?  MHJ is a beast, with regards to size, compared to his dad and will be an ever better prospect coming out of college than dad was....which is scary when you think about it.

Marvin went pro two years before Peyton.  In a few years, what if Arch eventually lands on the same NFL team as Marvin Jr?    

29 minutes ago, MarylandTerrapin said:

Yeah - I heard about TY's son too - he's already taller than his dad, but needs to add a few pounds, which he will.  Interesting that he will be speedy like dad, but with more size.  Hmm...sound familiar?  MHJ is a beast, with regards to size, compared to his dad and will be an ever better prospect coming out of college than dad was....which is scary when you think about it.

Marvin went pro two years before Peyton.  In a few years, what if Arch eventually lands on the same NFL team as Marvin Jr?    

Happy Hour Football GIF by Washed Media

3 hours ago, MarylandTerrapin said:

at Jags

Browns

Saints

at Panthers

at Patriots (Germany)

Colts

at Saints

at Steelers

49ers

Titans

Based on what I saw from Jim Schwartz of Browns, and Dennis Allen with the Saints, their pass rush can be blitz heavy at times and from what I saw Minshew do versus the blitz happy Ravens, those are not good matchups for us. Thankfully, both those games are at home. If the Jags rush four primarily, they are actually a decent matchup for us this year with Minshew playing QB. 

In all games, our DL and LBs have to protect our secondary to keep the games close.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Have you seen Mustache play, we aren't picking in no top 5 lmao 

yes and he has been impressive as a back up coming off the bench. It is a totally different ball game when the Jags D has a week to game plan for him. Way different! He may win 10 in a row but i see some tough times for the Colts moving forward