Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Extend Gardner Minshew

Colts1324

There is merit to it, given that he is on a 1 year contract, and given AR's injury struggles but Ballard always waits till the end of the season to do it. If Minshew plays better, he would cost at least $8-10 mil. as a backup per year. If Minshew is about the same or regresses, he could be re-signed at $4-5 mil. per year then.

10 minutes ago, Dark Superman said:

He'll be more than happy to return to the Colts on a 1-2 year deal following the season. I'm not worried about him ending up elsewhere. Steichen will do whatever it takes to have him back.

He will go where the most money is offered.

Injured twice in 3 games. AR is quickly morphing into RG3. He might last 3 season's at this rate if you are lucky. As a Jags fan who is well acquainted with the Shew, this seems like a no brainer. The only reason we didn't keep him is because he didn't want to sit behind Lawrence.  Personally, I was sorry to see him go.   He is your best chance for consistent success this year, and good insurance for next year and beyond.

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

If I’m Minshew I’m in no hurry.  He could drive his price up in the coming weeks.  If I’m Ballard I’m working on the Pittman extension now.

I would let Pittman explore free agency. I really don't beleive he will get offered a lot. Wrs who get  big money are getting it based  production plus what they might do in the teams offence. I think a lot of teams have a number #2 and are looking for a #1 , but are fine if he is another #2 but can stretch the field and offer game breaking speed. To me, Pittman doesn't do that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I would let Pittman explore free agency. I really don't beleive he will get offered a lot. Wrs who get  big money are getting it based  production plus what they might do in the teams offence. I think a lot of teams have a number #2 and are looking for a #1 , but are fine if he is another #2 but can stretch the field and offer game breaking speed. To me, Pittman doesn't do that.

My biggest fear is that Tennessee signs Pittman with all the money they have this off-season. 

3 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

My biggest fear is that Tennessee signs Pittman with all the money they have this off-season. 

We should extend him now.  Some people think it's easy to find a player like Pittman.  It isn't.  It took Ballard awhile to find Pittman.  Bellicheck misses all the time.  When you find one you keep him.  These guys don't grow on trees. 

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

We should extend him now.  Some people think it's easy to find a player like Pittman.  It isn't.  It took Ballard awhile to find Pittman.  Bellicheck misses all the time.  When you find one you keep him.  These guys don't grow on trees. 

Yeah, it depends upon the asking price for me. $16-$19 million per year, sure. That’s market value. 

$20-$25 million asking price? Let him test free agency 

50 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

There offence is slow enough. Trust me, he wouldn't be at the top of their list. Tell me this. When u see Pittman, how would you grade him and/or what do u like about him or what stands out about him?

37 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Yeah, it depends upon the asking price for me. $16-$19 million per year, sure. That’s market value. 

Downs already impresses me more that Pittman. He shows some explosiveness, great hands and doesn't take stupid penalties. We need a game breaker. We need a game changer at wr. Draft him or sign him, I don't care but get one. It has been seven long years  and if your org cannot draft or develop one, then admit it and do it another way.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

There was a reason the Colts didn't want to extend Taylor. It's the postion he plays and not because of his talent. With Pittman it is the reverse. If the Colts truly felt he was irreplaceable, they would have gotten a deal done by now. I say they let him test free agency. They drafted Downs and they have numerous tight ends who have similar skill set that Pittman has.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

There was a reason the Colts didn't want to extend Taylor. It's the postion he plays and not because of his talent. With Pittman it is the reverse. If the Colts truly felt he was irreplaceable, they would have gotten a deal done by now. I say they let him test free agency. They drafted Downs and they have numerous tight ends who have similar skill set that Pittman has.

The Colts don't have a need to draft a QB. LT, or TE in the first round.  They may want to draft an EDGE. but I think they still want to see Paye.  A shut down corner?...I think they roll with the young guys.

So it seems that a position that they may want to upgrade is WR.  Just saying, there are not many positions that the Colts would drop a first round pick on.

6 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

He will go where the most money is offered.

Agreed.  I don't understand why some people think that Minshew will automatically sign with the Colts, especially if a different team offers him more money.  Also, if he plays really well with AR out, somebody will most likely offer him more money AND a full time starting role.  There's no way he turns that down.  

6 hours ago, Dark Superman said:

Back to Indianapolis.

We have no idea if the Colts will offer him the most money.  If he plays really well with AR out, he will probably get offered a full time starter role with starter money by another team. No way the Colts match that.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

The Colts don't have a need to draft a QB. LT, or TE in the first round.  They may want to draft an EDGE. but I think they still want to see Paye.  A shut down corner?...I think they roll with the young guys.

So it seems that a position that they may want to upgrade is WR.  Just saying, there are not many positions that the Colts would drop a first round pick on.

I would honestly say that this would be the 1st time they go wr. It would be like Nelson all over again. Luck was getting killed and Ballard was almost forced to take that generational player at guard. If Richardson comes back, I  expect him to continue to improve. However, everyone in the media, fans and even FO will be pushing for an elite game changing wr to take this offence to a new level. One thing is apparent, Richardson loves the deep ball and he  is very accurate  throwing deep.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

We need wr,edge,cb, oline depth.  We need another  wr similar  to downs but bigger and can play on the outside. A Mathis of freeney like pash rusher wouldn't  hurt. Cb could always stand to upgrade there.

11 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I would honestly say that this would be the 1st time they go wr. It would be like Nelson all over again. Luck was getting killed and Ballard was almost forced to take that generational player at guard. If Richardson comes back, I  expect him to continue to improve. However, everyone in the media, fans and even FO will be pushing for an elite game changing wr to take this offence to a new level. One thing is apparent, Richardson loves the deep ball and he  is very accurate  throwing deep.

Hopefully, Shane influenced Ballard on the Downs selection and will influence him again this coming offseason when it comes to receivers.  Not speculating what Shane thinks about anybody, but I think Ballard and Frank saw things similarly when it came to the group and Shane might have a better take on it.  

Just saying that wherever the WR churning goes, I trust Ballard/Shane more than I trust Ballard/Frank.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Hopefully, Shane influenced Ballard on the Downs selection and will influence him again this coming offseason when it comes to receivers.  Not speculating what Shane thinks about anybody, but I think Ballard and Frank saw things similarly when it came to the group and Shane might have a better take on it.  

Just saying that wherever the WR churning goes, I trust Ballard/Shane more than I trust Ballard/Frank.

I think it’s been reported that Wayne pounded the table for Downs and he helped influence Ballard and most likely Shane.  I think that’s a good thing.  Coaches should be listened to and have input.  Ballards job is to support the coach and help hm succeed.  It would be hard to hold the coach accountable if he didn’t.  He supported Reich.  Tried to get him the players he asked for to help him succeed.  Rivers, Wentz, Ryan quickly come to mind.  Now Shane is the new coach and I have no doubt he will support him the same way.  That’s what a good GM will do.  Support the coach.  He will do his best to improve the team in the vision and the direction the new coach wants for his team.  I have no doubt they will be on the same page.  That’s why I think Ballard is a very good GM.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think it’s been reported that Wayne pounded the table for Downs and he helped influence Ballard and most likely Shane.  I think that’s a good thing.  Coaches should be listened to and have input.  Ballards job is to support the coach and help hm succeed.  It would be hard to hold the coach accountable if he didn’t.  He supported Reich.  Tried to get him the players he asked for to help him succeed.  Rivers, Wentz, Ryan quickly come to mind.  Now Shane is the new coach and I have no doubt he will support him the same way.  That’s what a good GM will do.  Support the coach.  He will do his best to improve the team in the vision and the direction the new coach wants for his team.  I have no doubt they will be on the same page.  That’s why I think Ballard is a very good GM.

A GM doesn't act like a go-fer for his head coach, like goes shopping for him at the grocery store using a list.  A GM has to have vision of his own.  He AGREES with the HCs philosophy, which is why the HC was hired in the first place. 

Apparently, Ballard has changed his philosophy before Irsay fired him.  Good for the Colts.  Once they are all on the same page as to roster construction, the GM can look to his subordinates for evaluations of individual players.

19 hours ago, newjagscity said:

He is your best chance for consistent success this year

That is an interesting discussion.  We scored more TDS with Richardson but GM is probably better at passing between the 20s

Our actual best chance to win is probably with some combination of the two like a college offense using AR in the redzone or if we need a big arm.