Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

9 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

U r never getting a 1st for Taylor.  I sense this could aimilar to Lamar. Thr other teams knew that Baltimore was using the rest of the NFL in negotiating with the Lamar. Plus teams maybe don't want to reward a player who wants more money and is basically bullying his way out of town. Remember teams can offer them say a 3rd or a 4th. However, they can go back to Taylor and say see u  ain't worth what u r asking and u r staying put!!!!

I wouldn’t say never.  Griggs gave a 1 for TRich.  Does o brien still work for an NFL franchise lol?

6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

If this is true, and I am not saying it’s not or that it is, I think it’s important to ask who is leaking this stuff and why they might be doing it?

I think it’s fairly obvious that a team trying to trade for Taylor isn’t going to leak it because they aren’t going to want the value to go up.

I don’t think it’s the Colts because I don’t think they really want to trade Taylor and they have been pretty tightlipped about this whole thing other than a few Irsay tweets that lead to information coming out that had already happened several weeks ago.  So the Colts can keep things quiet.

That leaves Taylor’s camp.  I think they might be leaking it because the value isn’t there and they are trying to scare another team into over bidding to get to the Colts asking price.

I could be 100% wrong about that but I think it’s worth considering.

Maaaaaaaaybe.  I guess it's the most plausible source of a leak.  There is the consideration that Taylor might not want to strip his new team of assets and make his future situation work, but he likely doesn't worry that it would be a significant difference I suppose.  

The biggest part I like is, this means he proves his health and can't waffle and avoid playing, avoid fines, and still accrue a year of play for CBA purposes.  

A possibly overlooked part of the equation here is, Irsay has been carrying A LOT of water in highly public ways for the owners.  From the cleaning up of the leagues Snyder "problems" to defending the CBA, etc ...  It may not mean anything tangible in this particular situation, but owners don't overlook these kind of things, and Irsay was highly regarded anyway by the owners before he took on a more public role in their interests...... They might largely feel there is very little motivation to put the screws to Jim, of all people, and take full advantage of him in an asset accumulating scenario.....

That said, everyone has their own best interest prioritized of course.....just a niggling little factor.....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Btown_Colt said:

Not sure if you were being serious or not, but I feel like I’ve seen Carolina mentioned by some. I truly don’t get that, I feel like Frank misused JT tremendously. I am the only one who remembers the Bucs game a few years ago or the Hard Knocks episode after? Maybe it’s just me but Carolina seems like one of the least likely options. 

I don’t know.  Taylor did lead the league in rushing with 1800 yards one year and was an MVP candidate.  Now I wouldn’t run Hines up the middle if I had Taylor I will say that.  Lol.  Frank is old school and likes the power run game.  So I could see the interest being there.  

9 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Second that’s not what I was saying.  There is a difference in being negative because things are bad and talking about those things and just being negative all the time and refusing to acknowledge anything positive that might contradict that.  The first I have no problem with.  That’s normal and is going to happen.  

Third I never said anyone had to come here and be positive all the time.  

@NFLfan too.   

I think most of the negative comments I read are backed up with actual reason.  So I look at it like they have already acknowledged the positive but have discarded it because it doesn't outweigh the negative.   If the positive is not strong enough to be a big factor in the conclusion, it makes sense to me to not spend the effort talking about it.   I don't expect comments to include all of the analysis just to show the readers they used "balance" to get to their opinion.

Besides, IMO, its not really a virtue to have balance, especially if the facts point to them having to go out of their way to find it.  Talking balance for balance sake is like idling a car.  Its an opinion that gets you nowhere and just wastes energy.

It comes down to differences in reader tolerances, IMO.  I'm the type who gets more irritated at the comments that look only at the positive and refuse to acknowledge negative facts that might contradict it.  Also not a fan of comments that are perfectly balanced, so that they go nowhere in the end.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Sorry if this was posted earlier. But there is a report dolphins have a package of players and picks. If colts can get picks and a couple players to sure up some spots that might be a good deal. I don’t know if dolphins have anyone Oline guys that might be of interest.

If true this is the type of offer that could equate to a 1st.  Which is what we are asking for.  I would be very happy with a package like this.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think most of the negative comments I read are backed up with actual reason.

That is not always the case. There are some who only focus on the negative (or only on the positive) and do not always back up their opinions with sound reasoning. Also, when all one writes about is grievances and complaints (negative), then I tend not to take their opinions as seriously. It is similar to the idea of "Crying Wolf". Eventually, I tune out the negativity from those who are always negative. The same is true for those who are always positive.

When someone is neither all positive or all negative, I am more inclined to take their viewpoints seriously.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

That is not always the case. There are some who only focus on the negative (or only on the positive) and do not always back up their opinions with sound reasoning. Also, when all one writes about is grievances and complaints (negative), then I tend not to take their opinions as seriously. It is similar to the idea of "Crying Wolf". Eventually, I tune out the negativity from those who are always negative. The same is true for those who are always positive.

When someone is neither all positive or all negative, I am more inclined to take their viewpoints seriously.

Yeah, I get it.  I think those are typically one sentence shots with no real support.  I guess they don't bother me because I just read over them as not very seriously formed.

6 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

To your first 3 sentences, I was going to say same thing. There are some people, no matter how good things are going will still be negative about the team. Some in here do it on purpose just to rile people up IMO. I have seen many times after we have won a big game, some still are negative about it, saying either the other team blew it or we got lucky, or our QB play was MEH. The same people that do that, whenever we lose on a fluke or give a game away, just gives the other team all the credit. It does work both ways no doubt.

• Like 1

The longer this goes on the more I dislike JTs character. It’s becoming more clear that he is using the PUP to hold out which is to fake an injury to get out of a contract that he signed. 

it really ties the Colts hands to tell the truth. If they say he’s not injured, and is on the PUP, it creates even more controversy and distraction for the rest of the team. It also could get them into trouble with the league itself, lying about a player being hurt. 

it’s a mess solely created by a RB who thinks he is bigger than the entire league, and proclaiming himself the Messiah of the RBs of the NFL.

all the way around, sticks in my craw. I want the man moved off my team.

If the Colts can’t get a good trade for him, and he tries to play out the year, a benching is in order imo. 

38 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Also not a fan of comments that are perfectly balanced, so that they go nowhere in the end.

In the grand scheme of things, no comments on this board are meaningful enough to "go somewhere" in the sense that it changes the team. 

None of us own the team, and none of our words impact what the team does. A balanced comment is no better or worse than a positive or negative comment. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

In the grand scheme of things, no comments on this board are meaningful enough to "go somewhere" in the sense that it changes the team. 

None of us own the team, and none of our words impact what the team does. A balanced comment is no better or worse than a positive or negative comment. 

Of course we have no influence on the team. 

But in the world of conversation to share opinions, a comment that is intended to have perfect balance is simply a waste of breath....and some do it for minutes on minutes at parties never wanting to "offend" anyone with an opinion that might simply be different than the listener's, LOL.  In the forum world, its kind of a waste of bandwidth.  I mean, there is some value to looking at the content and pick out interesting tidbits, but overall for me.......meh.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To your first 3 sentences, I was going to say same thing. There are some people, no matter how good things are going will still be negative about the team. Some in here do it on purpose just to rile people up IMO. I have seen many times after we have won a big game, some still are negative about it, saying either the other team blew it or we got lucky, or our QB play was MEH. The same people that do that, whenever we lose on a fluke or give a game away, just gives the other team all the credit. It does work both ways no doubt.

To follow this up, some in here think I am always positive. No, I am a realist more than anything, I just tend to lean more positive if I am not sure how good the team will be or not sure if we will win a certain game. When we win I praise the team, when we lose I criticize them but not to the point of being a Troll. After we lost to the Jags to end the season in 2021, I was in here all night bashing the team. They deserved it.

I admitted I was wrong about last season and said Matt Ryan was bad. What is funny is, I remember at least 10 posters or so saying we would suck going into 2020 and that Rivers was a noodle arm. I said we would go 11-5 and that Rivers would fit our system beautifully. They never apologized for being wrong and just kept on going with their silly negative spiel because we lost at Buffalo by 3 measly points. 

I have never even once in my 8 years here picked us to win the SB, I am a realist. Most of the time we have had teams that can make the playoffs since I have been here, so I pick us to make the playoffs. That is just being a realist once again.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Positive comments (cheer leading) is a healthy way to go through life.

Balanced commentary based having some reasonable thinking about pros and cons also reflects better mental health.

Nattering nabobs of negativity more often comes from a below level comprehension of FB reality, often combined with probably some other personality disorder/s.

People in general deal with some differences/odd takes, some keep it in between the lines better. I am Older, and have my own struggles.

A heavy use with Ignore keeps me away from suffering so much with....

Them Kind.

Lots of struggles and ugly coming from all levels, as we need a couple seasons of experience with all these young Uns, and a couple really good drafts and FA periods to hopefully one day again being a top 8 upper echelon. Hoping to live to see it. 

1 hour ago, compuls1v3 said:

Not sure if anyone brought this up, but what Taylor to Miami for Waddle and a third.  Is that out of the realm of possibility?

Albert Breer asked several league execs about Taylor's trade value (just so everybody can be realistic about this).  Here's what he found...

• One AFC exec said he’d ballpark it at a third- and a fifth-round pick.
  • Another AFC exec said a third- or fourth-rounder.
  • An NFC exec said he’d consider a package carrying the value of a second- or third-rounder.
  • A second NFC exec said he’d put the value at a fourth-rounder with play-time triggers to make it a third.
  • A third NFC exec said a second- or third-rounder (“Less than [Christian] McCaffrey,” he added).
  • A fourth NFC exec said “maybe” a Day 2 pick.
  • A third AFC exec said a third-rounder.
  • A fifth NFC exec said “possibly” a Day 2 pick, and a fourth AFC exec said a second-rounder.
  • And an AFC GM also pegged it at a second-rounder.

Based on that, there is no way on earth we're getting Waddle and a 3rd.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Albert Breer asked several league execs about Taylor's trade value (just so everybody can be realistic about this).  Here's what he found...

Based on that, there is no way on earth we're getting Waddle and a 3rd.

Its only "no way" if one of those is a Miami exec....lol 

44 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

The longer this goes on the more I dislike JTs character. It’s becoming more clear that he is using the PUP to hold out which is to fake an injury to get out of a contract that he signed. 

it really ties the Colts hands to tell the truth. If they say he’s not injured, and is on the PUP, it creates even more controversy and distraction for the rest of the team. It also could get them into trouble with the league itself, lying about a player being hurt. 

it’s a mess solely created by a RB who thinks he is bigger than the entire league, and proclaiming himself the Messiah of the RBs of the NFL.

all the way around, sticks in my craw. I want the man moved off my team.

If the Colts can’t get a good trade for him, and he tries to play out the year, a benching is in order imo. 

His character?

I've been critical of JT in all this.  I'm critical of any player who wants to renegotiate a contract before it's come due.  I think people should do what they're obligated to do -- period, end of story.  The time to negotiate an extension is when you've fulfilled your prior obligations.

And, yes, I agree that he's demanding a contract that is simply above his market value.  He's mad at the Colts for it.  But it's not Ballard or Irsay's fault that the market value of RBs has fallen as it has.

I think JT has been given bad advice and I think he's making a mistake in following that bad advice.  I do not think there is any way this will work out the way he wants it to -- whether he stays in Indy or goes elsewhere.

That said, while there's plenty of reason to question his judgment, there is no reason to question his character.  Whatever comes of this, from what we know of him, Jonathan Taylor has the same stellar character he had before all this.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

Its only "no way" if one of those is a Miami exec....lol 

Heh...well, OK.  But, if Breer's info is an accurate indication of where JT's trade value is -- and, to his credit, he did speak to quite a few league execs -- then a Miami exec who would trade both a 3rd round pick and a receiver who made 75 catches for 1300 yards last season probably wouldn't be a Miami exec very much longer.

11 hours ago, Btown_Colt said:

1. Let’s just use the Dolphins as an example. Why in the world would they reach out to the Colts about trading for JT before they talk to JT(his agent) and know what type of contract he is willing to sign? That was the significance of the Colts granting JT permission to seek a trade…his agent could begin discussing JT’s contractual desires with other teams. 

It's actually the other way around for the Colts. Don't let Taylor go out and decide what team he wants to go to, like the Packers did with Aaron Rodgers. Once that happens, you've lost control of the situation. 

Any trade in this situation starts with the Colts and the new team agreeing to trade compensation, first. If the team isn't willing to meet the Colts trade demands, there's no point in them negotiating with Taylor and his agent. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I agree with this, I just think it is funny some people can't be happy about anything. That is like going somewhere and eating the greatest 14 oz Steak and greatest Baked Potato with Butter, everything cooked perfectly, but then you get a piece of Apple Pie that isn't even bad but average, and the person you were with just complains how bad the pie was chuckling homer simpson GIF. Sometimes it feels like that in here. Oh well I love it here, otherwise I wouldn't be here everyday. The site is good, a good site for info as well, and most members here are knowledgeable so it is what it is.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

It's actually the other way around for the Colts. Don't let Taylor go out and decide what team he wants to go to, like the Packers did with Aaron Rodgers. Once that happens, you've lost control of the situation. 

Any trade in this situation starts with the Colts and the new team agreeing to trade compensation, first. If the team isn't willing to meet the Colts trade demands, there's no point in them negotiating with Taylor and his agent. 

Yeah, I agree.  Because, whatever they may say publicly about what they're looking for, the Colts are ultimately going to have to agree to any trade.  So it may as well start with their assent up front, too.  If the team is willing to meet Indy's needs, then they can meet with JT and hammer that out with him (so long as that doesn't alter what the Colts would be getting, of course).

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree with this, I just think it is funny some people can't be happy about anything. That is like going somewhere and eating the greatest 14 oz Steak and greatest Baked Potato with Butter, everything cooked perfectly, but then you get a piece of Apple Pie that isn't even bad but average, and the person you were with just complains how bad the pie was chuckling homer simpson GIF. Sometimes it feels like that in here. Oh well I love it here, otherwise I wouldn't be here everyday. The site is good, a good site for info as well, and most members here are knowledgeable so it is what it is.

Yeah, I've won at the casino the last 7 times I've went, but Tim Patrick got injured for the year and I had him in around 20% of my bestball leagues. I try to take it on the chin that my bestballs are paid for, and if I profit on any of those 20% bestballs, it's just gravy. Sometimes good things happen, and sometimes they don't. That's life. Best you can do is try and cover yourself in every situation.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

You don’t really believe he’s injured do you?  I think he can easily pass a physical.  This is all about the Benjamin’s I believe.

No he’s not injured, but most certainly hurting his credibility. If I’m a team thinking about a trade for him, that would be a BIG issue going forward.

47 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Of course we have no influence on the team. 

But in the world of conversation to share opinions, a comment that is intended to have perfect balance is simply a waste of breath....and some do it for minutes on minutes at parties never wanting to "offend" anyone with an opinion that might simply be different than the listener's, LOL.  In the forum world, its kind of a waste of bandwidth.  I mean, there is some value to looking at the content and pick out interesting tidbits, but overall for me.......meh.

I agree to an extent. 

I don't think of it as a waste of bandwidth though. And I don't think most posters are intentional with making a balanced comment. Some people deal with confrontation better than others. That's not a character flaw, it's just how some people are. 

As you are well aware, there's plenty of confrontational people on this board. So it's not like a balanced poster is detrimental to you scratching that itch of argument and opposing discussion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't remember every post in this thread, but another problem with trading Taylor is that we or another team can't force him to sign an extension before or after trading him. If we are trading him to a team he doesn't like, there's no guarantee he'll extend with them, they may only be able to get him for a year. While Taylor doesn't have a no-trade clause. The power of refusing an extension is power he does have if we were interested in trading him and got the right offer.

31 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Lots of struggles and ugly coming from all levels, as we need a couple seasons of experience with all these young Uns, and a couple really good drafts and FA periods to hopefully one day again being a top 8 upper echelon. Hoping to live to see it. 

I think that nearly everybody on this forum shares that opinion. 

However, I detect some who might think that its hopeless positivity as long as Ballard is the GM and Irsay continues his ways of being an owner (I am not one of them).  It's not much different than Redskins fans being negative about their team as long as Snyder was owner....which apparently is a position that was considered reasoned and acceptable by many....and it wasn't an opinion that was said to be driven by persistent negative nancyism.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I agree to an extent. 

I don't think of it as a waste of bandwidth though. And I don't think most posters are intentional with making a balanced comment. Some people deal with confrontation better than others. That's not a character flaw, it's just how some people are. 

As you are well aware, there's plenty of confrontational people on this board. So it's not like a balanced poster is detrimental to you scratching that itch of argument and opposing discussion. 

Yeah, differences of opinions do not have to be confrontational.  There is value in most comments, even comments that are intentioned to be 50% negative and 50% positive.

10 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

No he’s not injured, but most certainly hurting his credibility. If I’m a team thinking about a trade for him, that would be a BIG issue going forward.

I have to wonder what would happen if Taylor were unable (unwilling?) to pass a physical for the Colts, but was able (willing?) to pass a physical for some other team interested in him.

• Like 2

Just now, csmopar said:

He doesn’t get a choice. Unlike Matt Ryan or Wentz, Taylor has no such clause 

He doesn’t get a choice but if Taylor’s agent tells the team Taylor isn’t going to re-sign with you unless you match this number odds are a team isn’t going to match the Colts asking price.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Taylor has no choice to get traded, but he can refuse an extension to that new team, which could be a deal-breaker. That is power Taylor has IMO.

I can't imagine that any GM would allow himself to be put behind the 8-ball like that.

But who knows?  Where's Grigson working these days?

• Like 2