Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

Just now, richard pallo said:

I think Jacobs new deal immediately changed the financial parameters. He is the rushing champion and Taylor is the previous rushing champion.  His new contract helped raise the new tag number to over 14m next year.  Hard to see it not having an impact.  Not sure it affects the Colts position.  I think they want to see him play the year out.  But another team in a Super Bowl hunt might feel differently.

Jacobs is very well on the same level as Taylor in age ect. So it’s a good comp.

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Jacobs is very well on the same level as Taylor in age ect. So it’s a good comp.

I think both backs are pretty close in value. I just think Irsay and Ballard are not looking to throw that kind of money at JT right now. Coming off the injury, and the way he has been behaving, have to make them apprehensive. not to mention the contract deal they gave to Leonard, where he has been out (or hurt?)  ever since

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Which is why colts would be wide to add a year through 24 and give him a raise this year. That would be right about what Jacobs is getting now.

Yes….    But that assumes that JT and his agent would be willing to accept that.   It’s not clear that they are.   

20 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Pfffffffft. Can this be over yet? Honestly I’m tired of all the drama. 

I am so bleeping tired of hearing about this lol. Just be done.. I'm tired of the colts being railed on by all of ESPN. I'm tired of all the notifications lol. 

You know what.. I'm buying Madden 24 just so I can trade Taylor my D self! haha

Just now, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I am so bleeping tired of hearing about this lol. Just be done.. I'm tired of the colts being railed on by all of ESPN. I'm tired of all the notifications lol. 

You know what.. I'm buying Madden 24 just so I can trade Taylor my D self! haha

Override the trade manager, for 2 1st rd picks, 2 2nd rd picks and a Top rated RG. :lol:

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That’s why I said both sides to grow up and compromise. Something is clearly fishy with this entire situation.

If he truly isn’t suffering what could be a long term issue with the ankle, he deserves 3 years, around 40.   Colts have the money and the cap will get bigger.  

But that ankle….

Thr Colts have to know that they will never see a 1st rounder for Taylor. The market says they won't. However, and ai have tought this thru lol. If the Colts r asking for a number 1 then can't Taylor go back to the  Colts and say this. " U value me as a 1st rounder then why won't u pay me as one?" Just saying .

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Thr Colts have to know that they will never see a 1st rounder for Taylor. The market says they won't. However, and ai have tought this thru lol. If the Colts r asking for a number 1 then can't Taylor go back to the  Colts and say this. " U value me as a 1st rounder then why won't u pay me as one?" Just saying .

Response:   "We will do right by you, Jonathan.  ...once we are sure you are healthy, and not before."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Rumor is the Colts balked when Taylors agent said Taylor was looking for 10-12 million last week.

So why would they accept that now? ...Because Josh Jacobs got a new deal?

and still under contract

Link that rumor please.  I haven't seen the Colts "balking" at anything being anything more than unsubstantiated at all....

• Like 1

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Ballard is due to have a presser this coming week or the following week before the season starts. Going to be interesting where this is by that time.

Taylor will be on the roster, "injured" and CB will say, "we love Jonathan, we think highly of Him and his family, we WANT Jonathan.... No one even came CLOSE to offering us enough for him".....etc. etc.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Maybe it’s because he has a contract he signed. Just sayin! Lol

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38085290/running-back-comment-not-aimed-jonathan-taylor

...Irsay's unequivocal comments left no doubt the Colts currently have no intention of extending Taylor before he plays out his deal.

"We love Jonathan, we need Jonathan," Irsay said. "Our hope is Jonathan has an outstanding year and that we have a good year as a team and then we get his next contract done. That's the hope. We think the world of him as a person, as a player. It's just timing. When your time comes to get paid, then you get paid."...

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Let’s pretend this is true. Is Irsay having second thoughts and going to tell Ballard to go ahead and offer JT a extension.

I don't see that at all. If it's true, it seems more likely Irsay would have to have second thoughts, regarding the position of insisting on a 1st round compensation, as opposed to a 2nd round. I don't think Irsay or Ballard are being dictated by the Dolphins agreeing to the contract demands, just as I don't believe they are being dictated by Josh Jacobs contract either.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I don't see that at all. If it's true, it seems more likely Irsay would have to have second thoughts, regarding the position of insisting on a 1st round compensation, as opposed to a 2nd round. I don't think Irsay or Ballard are being dictated by the Dolphins agreeing to the contract demands, just as I don't believe they are being dictated by Josh Jacobs contract either.

They want a 1st round or equivalent.  Quite possible there is more than a single 2nd.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

They want a 1st round or equivalent.  Quite possible there is more than a single 2nd.

It does say includes a 2nd, which means there likely is more

10 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Let’s pretend this is true. Is Irsay having second thoughts and going to tell Ballard to go ahead and offer JT a extension.

It's always Irsay's fault...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t get any of this feeling sorry for JT stuff and being vague about something going wrong with his ankle because of the colts. Keep your mouth shut unless your going to come out and say what the issue is.

Right. It would be real stupid for the Colts to pay him a large contract if he is still injured after all this time.

• Like 2

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/josh-jacobs-makes-franchise-tag-history-and-sets-himself-up-for-nearly-26-million-over-two-years

Josh Jacobs makes franchise-tag history — and sets himself up for nearly $26 million over two years

By

Mike Florio

...For the first time in the 30-year history of the franchise tag, a team kicked in more base salary than the player would have earned under the one-year guaranteed tender. Earlier this year, Giants running back Saquon Barkley secured an incentive package above the $10.1 million base rate, with up to $900,000 in incentives. In contrast, Jacobs has a base of $11.8 million, with another $200,000 in incentives...

...That’s a potential two-year haul for Jacobs of $25.96 million under the tag. Given the current running back market, that’s a damn good deal.

Edited by 1959Colts
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

Right. It would be real stupid for the Colts to pay him a large contract if he is still injured after all this time.

He is hinting that colts did something horrible here causing the ankle issue. Why is this so secretive. I am tired of the oh we have to feel sorry for JT. 

The only thing that makes sense colts did something to really screw up his ankle and feel it didn’t heal correctly which is why they don’t want to offer him a extension yet.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He is hinting that colts did something horrible here causing the ankle issue. Why is this so secretive. I am tired of the oh we have to feel sorry for JT. 

The only thing that makes sense colts did something to really screw up his ankle and feel it didn’t heal correctly which is why they don’t want to offer him a extension yet.

I think I see what you are saying about this guy... So, if in some absurd way the team was responsible,  they should pay him a lucrative contract? because they owe it to him, even if he does not return to form

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t get any of this feeling sorry for JT stuff and being vague about something going wrong with his ankle because of the colts. Keep your mouth shut unless your going to come out and say what the issue is.

I'm sorry but NO! He can play the game right now. If he wants to! Or if he's healthy. And he can play it for literally millions! If he's not healthy, my sympathies for him and wish him quick recovery, but then the team's actions are even more understandable.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, stitches said:

I'm sorry but NO! He can play the game right now. If he wants to! Or if he's healthy. And he can play it for literally millions! If he's not healthy, my sympathies for him and wish him quick recovery, but then the team's actions are even more understandable.

Mr guess is Shaed is getting some info from his agent trying to make us all feel sorry for JT.

• Like 1

Yeah Dolphins wouldn’t trade for a player that is injured as badly as they try to make it sound. As soon as a trade happens he will be miraculously healed, they are just getting ready to use the Injured Reserve angle to refuse to play this year if there isn’t a trade. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blueblood23 said:

Maybe it’s because he has a contract he signed. Just sayin! Lol

Agree but still . The agreement from Miami would be,  U want a first but u r not willing to extend him. So in essence Colts, u do not value him that high. That being said, I do think the Colts would take less than a first. If they are sticking to a 1st, then its foolish if their intent is to truly get rid of him and no desire to extend him. Lot of games put there. Also Miami would never give them a 1st cause that would also signal how valuable they value Taylor and then feel forced to pay him as,such.

Now that Jacobs is signed the Dolphins could be more compelled to make the trade.  Taylor is the lone difference maker for them left out there and a deadline is approaching.   When you want something bad enough and are very close to getting it reason and willingness to hold firm is often thrown out the window.  It happens everyday in life.  That’s why people buckle and go against their better judgement all the time.  Deadlines and pressure spur action.  The Dolphins could be putting pressure on themselves.  Talking themselves into the Taylor trade.  Talking themselves into that he’s the missing piece.  Fascinating course of events.  Can’t wait to see how this plays out.  

• Like 1