Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He is coming off injury with a new coach. Makes perfect sense why CB wants to wait. Everyone is being evaluated this year.

Why is that? Other than its what you've heard people here say?  

I'm not disagreeing with the premise, I'm just saying it doesn't really matter in this case.  The "negative" of Taylor not fitting. Lol.... Sure, or him not recovering from a "surgery".....to be clear, it was a routine scope... Hardly a major risky procedure ... Neither risk is anywhere near large enough that we should be afraid of absorbing the hit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

So Destin Adams says 50% Taylor stays with colts. Now today Stephen says IF he gets traded.

This has been the case all along, that's not a development.... Certain voices have just been presenting things to support various agendas..... Media sensation, client advantage, team leveraging, ownership defense.....etc, etc.

I sure with that this divide would close amicably but would take a miracle for that to happen. I also like that Irsay gave him until Tuesday to seek a trade partner. I would be curious if someone wants to take him on knowing how much he wants paid. I get it Mr Taylor but you could find out the best deal is still the Colts. It will be an interesting with him testing the water. 

4 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:
11 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

Nobody here should be surprised if there is no trade. Colts being unreal too with asking for 1 pick.

I would be surprised if there isn't a trade....and a trade that would not reap that much for the colts knowing how things go for this organization. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2023 at 8:16 PM, csmopar said:

Very possible 

I agree on this. I value your opinion csmopar. Why do you think it would be advantageous for the Colts to franchise tag Taylor next year? If he doesn't want to be on the Colts, why go through all the drama in another offseason? Again, not questioning what you said, but I am genuinely curious to know your thoughts on this.

20 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We could franchise tag him so the games will keep going. Like I said we hold all the leverage.

Curious to know why you think this would be advantageous to the Colts to franchise tag Taylor next offseason? If he doesn't want to be on or play for our team, why drag the drama/distraction into another offseason by franchise tagging him? Not questioning your approach, but truly curios to hear your thoughts on this. I agree the Colts do have the leverage in the situation.

17 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

I’m getting older, so forgive me.  Did I hear somewhere - Taylor’s married, and his spouse wants out of town to a more “happening” locale?  

He got married  this past spring. No nothing has come out about his wife wanting a better location. Someone on here just. Speculated. They have been with each other since they were 15 so I doubt this is true.

It’s been reported in Miami newspapers that the Colts rejected an offer from them for Taylor.  I think it would be reasonable to assume the Dolphins and Taylor have agreed on a new contract extension.  They were permitted to talk with his agent so there’s no reason to make an offer unless you know he’s going to play for you.  A new contract satisfies that problem.  If the Colts know the offer they could match and extend him if they want to.  It’s also possible they don’t want to pay him what Miami has agree to or they don’t know the offer which is possible I guess.  Right now it looks they are continuing to negotiate with Miami or waiting to see if another offer comes their way as well.  Chicago and Denver are reportedly interested.  Unless some team offers a 1st and satisfies Ballard it’s possible this could go down to Tuesday.  I would be surprised if he plays for us again but who knows.  Right now I think it’s more likely we find a trade partner by the deadline.

10 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

It’s been reported in Miami newspapers that the Colts rejected an offer from them for Taylor.  I think it would be reasonable to assume the Dolphins and Taylor have agreed on a new contract extension.  They were permitted to talk with his agent so there’s no reason to make an offer unless you know he’s going to play for you.  A new contract satisfies that problem.  If the Colts know the offer they could match and extend him if they want to.  It’s also possible they don’t want to pay him what Miami has agree to or they don’t know the offer which is possible I guess.  Right now it looks they are continuing to negotiate with Miami or waiting to see if another offer comes their way as well.  Chicago and Denver are reportedly interested.  Unless some team offers a 1st and satisfies Ballard it’s possible this could go down to Tuesday.  I would be surprised if he plays for us again but who knows.  Right now I think it’s more likely we find a trade partner by the deadline.

Firstly, I think before examining  these trades, one has to look at the noted teams salary cap. Which of these teams have draft capital and the cap room to sign Taylor? Is Taylor willing to go to say Miami and play under his current contract and then explore the market in the off season? Is Miami willing to give the Colts a pick knowing he could walk in the off season? I pretty confident that no team is going to give up a high pick and then sign him to a deal.  I think Cook's recent signing should tell us  what the current market is  for a rb. Miami could have signed him for like  I think it was like 9 million a year and had to give up nothing. So why would they now turn around now and pay Taylor more money and give up draft capital? I think Cook is a better all around back  but older and there is apparently some concern that he is facing a suspension, which could be a reason for his stock being down.  I think if Miami really felt they really  needed a back, they could look around the league and make a trade for someone who was still under contract and was  rated maybe a step below Taylor.  Look at what the Niners did last season. They gave up picks for a back under contract. I think what people are forgetting is this.  They have Waddle and Hill. They are the most explosive tandem in the NFL. Taylor would be great but you could probably plug a a lot of backs into that offence and they would excel because of the defense focusing on those two burners. You will not have safety in the box. Hell, I could probably play in that O and get 4.0 a carry lol!! I am of the belief that the Colts need to say good bye and  I said this when he demanded the trade. I might have even said it a day or two whey I heard he was moping at practice.  I think Ballard will be scrutinized on how he deals with this situation. For me, I make this trade with   a team and make it conditional. Lets say the team is Miami, because that seems to be where all the buzz is. I say to Miami its a  1st rounder if you win the Superbowl. Its a 2nd if you win the AFC. Its a 3rd if you make the play offs. Get it done and be gone with it!. If the Colts do not make the trade, then they need to send him home for the year. He cannot be around this team given what Steichen is trying to build.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Always agree on trade compensation first then talk about a extension.  

7 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Firstly, I think before examining  these trades, one has to look at the noted teams salary cap. Which of these teams have draft capital and the cap room to sign Taylor? Is Taylor willing to go to say Miami and play under his current contract and then explore the market in the off season? Is Miami willing to give the Colts a pick knowing he could walk in the off season? I pretty confident that no team is going to give up a high pick and then sign him to a deal.  I think Cook's recent signing should tell us  what the current market is  for a rb. Miami could have signed him for like  I think it was like 9 million a year and had to give up nothing. So why would they now turn around now and pay Taylor more money and give up draft capital? I think Cook is a better all around back  but older and there is apparently some concern that he is facing a suspension, which could be a reason for his stock being down.  I think if Miami really felt they really  needed a back, they could look around the league and make a trade for someone who was still under contract and was  rated maybe a step below Taylor.  Look at what the Niners did last season. They gave up picks for a back under contract. I think what people are forgetting is this.  They have Waddle and Hill. They are the most explosive tandem in the NFL. Taylor would be great but you could probably plug a a lot of backs into that offence and they would excel because of the defense focusing on those two burners. You will not have safety in the box. Hell, I could probably play in that O and get 4.0 a carry lol!! I am of the belief that the Colts need to say good bye and  I said this when he demanded the trade. I might have even said it a day or two whey I heard he was moping at practice.  I think Ballard will be scrutinized on how he deals with this situation. For me, I make this trade with   a team and make it conditional. Lets say the team is Miami, because that seems to be where all the buzz is. I say to Miami its a  1st rounder if you win the Superbowl. Its a 2nd if you win the AFC. Its a 3rd if you make the play offs. Get it done and be gone with it!. If the Colts do not make the trade, then they need to send him home for the year. He cannot be around this team given what Steichen is trying to build.

Taylor is younger. But you are exactly right with this post. But maybe cook didn’t want to go there.

4 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

If he plays anywhere under his current contract the team has control with the franchise tag.  I don’t think he gets traded without a new contract.  The acquiring team would just pick up our problem.  At the very least I would think he would get a revised contract for this year to give him more money.  I would think he will most likely get an extension from his new team.  I don’t think the cap is an issue.  Teams find a way to work around the cap if they need to.  

1 hour ago, Jackie Daytona said:

Why is that? Other than its what you've heard people here say?  

I'm not disagreeing with the premise, I'm just saying it doesn't really matter in this case.  The "negative" of Taylor not fitting. Lol.... Sure, or him not recovering from a "surgery".....to be clear, it was a routine scope... Hardly a major risky procedure ... Neither risk is anywhere near large enough that we should be afraid of absorbing the hit.

Well considering both the owner and GM said that they want to see if he can get healthy and return to form, I’d say it’s a very valid fact at this point as to why the colts are waiting

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Always agree on trade compensation first then talk about an extension.  

Why spend the time and effort to agree on trade compensation and then find out you are not going to be able to meet his contract demands?  This is all about money for JT.  Especially the Dolphins who have looked into a number of running backs.  They even looked into Jacobs who’s on the tag but were rebuffed.  I would bet they have a deal worked out for something around the tag numbers for the next few years.  They were allowed to speak with his agent.  They are willing to take the chance now whereas the Colts want to wait a year.  I think they think he is the difference maker that could put them over the top.  Now we are at the trade compensation and the stare down until Tuesday.   Going to be interesting.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, philba101 said:

I agree on this. I value your opinion csmopar. Why do you think it would be advantageous for the Colts to franchise tag Taylor next year? If he doesn't want to be on the Colts, why go through all the drama in another offseason? Again, not questioning what you said, but I am genuinely curious to know your thoughts on this.

To me, it’s advantageous because they don’t have to rush into meeting his demands. And two, they have the advantage of keeping him through two more of his prime years, whether he likes it or not. 

They also could use the tender option and put two first rounders on him and essentially say here, go get whatever contract you want but it’s gonna cost that team more than money. 

all of which, forces JT to either play, retire or sit out and have his contract non toll and be fined.

The end result is simple, JT, if the colts don’t made the drama, has little to no say this year, barely any next year. 

31 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Taylor is younger. But you are exactly right with this post. But maybe cook didn’t want to go there.

I think a possible suspension scared some teams. However, there is no way a team is giving up a 1st for Taylor. The one thing is this. Taylor may feel so slighted by  the Colts, and his pride is taking over that he may go the a team and play out his contract and test the market next year. Either way, do u see a team giving up high draft pick for a one year rental? Do u see a team giving up a high pick and then having to extend him? Either way, I think the offers are low, and that's why I do a conditional pick based on Miami's success is the way I go. I think a team would be more comfortable with a conditional pick. There is a lot on the line in Miami. Tua on last year of contract. They made a ton of moves in the last couple of years. The coach and GM need something to show for it or they could be out. The coach came with a lot of hype. The could be coaxed into giving away more than they should but I don't see it.  Either way, if they get nothing for it and the Colts let it  go on, I will lose more faith in Ballard. I vowed to reset the Ballard meter this year, but this is asituation that he will be scrutinized for and should be.

37 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If he plays anywhere under his current contract the team has control with the franchise tag.  I don’t think he gets traded without a new contract.  The acquiring team would just pick up our problem.  At the very least I would think he would get a revised contract for this year to give him more money.  I would think he will most likely get an extension from his new team.  I don’t think the cap is an issue.  Teams find a way to work around the cap if they need to.  

He could agree to a trade if the team he was traded to agreed not to franchise him. 

2 hours ago, JColts72 said:

Nobody here should be surprised if there is no trade. Colts being unreal too with asking for 1 pick.

Meh.  I wouldn't be upset if Taylor sits his butt at home all season on his current contract.

If Taylor is saying he would take less money to play in Miami, then he is already doing the Colts dirty.

12 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

When is the last time acquiring an elite back is the answer to winning a superbowl? Just asking

Last year.

The 49ers were 3-3 when they traded for McCaffrey and they went 12-0 after and made it to the NFC championship. They were very clearly an elite back away. 

• Like 4

Glad to see the colts aren’t budging right now. I wouldn’t budge either.

3 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

Last year.

The 49ers were 3-3 when they traded for McCaffrey and they went 12-0 after and made it to the NFC championship. They were very clearly an elite back away. 

That’s not a fair comparison. Lance got hurt in there. Then jimmy got hurt. 

2 hours ago, JColts72 said:

Colts know they won't get a 1st before making that demand. We all know if he is traded it would probably be for a 3rd or so. They went public with a 1st because Taylor probably wants 15 mill or so. Now when teams come back with a let's say a 3rd or 2nd. The  Colts can go back to Taylor and say that's your value and do u think a 3rd round pick is worth 16 mill a year? They can still trade him for a 3rd and the Colts will feel better because they can show the fan base that they were right in not extending him.

22 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think a possible suspension scared some teams. However, there is no way a team is giving up a 1st for Taylor. The one thing is this. Taylor may feel so slighted by  the Colts, and his pride is taking over that he may go the a team and play out his contract and test the market next year. Either way, do u see a team giving up high draft pick for a one year rental? Do u see a team giving up a high pick and then having to extend him? Either way, I think the offers are low, and that's why I do a conditional pick based on Miami's success is the way I go. I think a team would be more comfortable with a conditional pick. There is a lot on the line in Miami. Tua on last year of contract. They made a ton of moves in the last couple of years. The coach and GM need something to show for it or they could be out. The coach came with a lot of hype. The could be coaxed into giving away more than they should but I don't see it.  Either way, if they get nothing for it and the Colts let it  go on, I will lose more faith in Ballard. I vowed to reset the Ballard meter this year, but this is asituation that he will be scrutinized for and should be.

That wasn’t cook with a suspension. It was Kamara.

5 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

Last year.

He was a good, signing, but they didn't win, and that defense was loaded, and Purdy started to hit his stride. 

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If you don’t have a mahomes yes it can help. Taylor actually does fit that dolphins  offense well.

I agree with  u hear on how he fits their team.  I think sometimes teams think they are a back away. Miami is not a back away. They are a qb away. Tua probably won't last the season so I would be more focused on a back up then rb

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

" I think"....link please