Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

1 hour ago, cjrulli said:

Can't imagine it was Saturday. Saturday had Shaq shut it down. He would've done the same with Taylor. 

My guess is, people were trying to save their jobs. Didn't JT get hurt early in the year as well? 

EDIT:  Just checked, Taylor injured his ankle in week 4 (first game against TEN). I could certainly see some plausibility to him being encouraged to play by the staff. We were 1-1-1 when he got injured. 

Shaq was not healthy enough to play anyway.

It doesn't have to conclude that Saturday could not have pressured JT to play through the injury.

Saturday was the head coach for most of the season and Ballard's voice was absent all year until new head coach search commenced. 

JT’s agent is trying to play hardball, but the problem is that his agent has almost no leverage besides how well-liked JT is by the Colts organization and the fans. As proven by the free agent market this year, running backs are at maybe the lowest value they’ve ever been at, so playing hardball will just cost you in the long run. JT should fire his agent and try to construct a deal with the Colts through both sides compromising.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Unless I’m missing it, the article says he played hurt and hurt the ankle again. And? That’s not uncommon. The story doesn’t indicate the Colts pressured him to play hurt. It sounds more and more like JT was hoping the Colts would just extend him without making sure his ankle was 100 percent. Odd strategy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chickenMan said:

JT’s agent is trying to play hardball, but the problem is that his agent has almost no leverage besides how well-liked JT is by the Colts organization and the fans. As proven by the free agent market this year, running backs are at maybe the lowest value they’ve ever been at, so playing hardball will just cost you in the long run. JT should fire his agent and try to construct a deal with the Colts through both sides compromising.

I can see where the Colts are coming from not 100% confident in Taylor bouncing back from the injure and reluctant to extend a big new contract. Maybe both sides could agree on adding incentives to his existing contract so Taylor could come back and prove and doubters wrong by having a good bounce back year and earning some extra bucks by reaching the incentives. If he did it would be a win-win for both sides.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hoosierhawk said:

I can see where the Colts are coming from not 100% confident in Taylor bouncing back from the injure and reluctant to extend a big new contract. Maybe both sides could agree on adding incentives to his existing contract so Taylor could come back and prove and doubters wrong by having a good bounce back year and earning some extra bucks by reaching the incentives. If he did it would be a win-win for both sides.

And provisions for an insurance policy for career ending injuries in the final years of his contract.

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

JMV mentioned what I have been saying. He goes there has to be something else to this with both sides not being able to compromise and find some common ground. He goes there has to be something like giving him a raise this year and come up with something that will make both sides happy. 

This is what I mentioned in my first couple posts on the subject. He is already under contract trying to force a new deal. Best thing at this time if they are not ready to work it out is reach a happy medium.

• Like 1

Heck at this point get him some guaranteed money and throw in some more as incentives for all the wear and tear this year. Make it a 1 year deal and then if he doesn’t fit correctly or still isn’t happy with his role let him walk or possibly put together a late season trade to a playoff desperate team.

• Like 1

Part of Taylor’s very sour relationship is that the Colts reportedly pushed him to come back late in the 22 season.   Taylor did and suffered another ankle injury (it may be two more ankle injuries?).  

When other players have had similar contract problems, one of the ways teams have used to compromise is this….   The team gives a financial sweetener (Ekler) plus the team agrees to only apply a Tag on the player only once instead of twice.   So the Colts would get the best 5 years from JT instead of six and then he’d be unrestricted.   I’m just saying this might be an option.   Don’t know if the Colts would even be willing to do this?   Just thinking out loud.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Part of Taylor’s very sour relationship is that the Colts reportedly pushed him to come back late in the 22 season.   Taylor did and suffered another ankle injury (it may be two more ankle injuries?).  

When other players have had similar contract problems, one of the ways teams have used to compromise is this….   The team gives a financial sweetener (Ekler) plus the team agrees to only apply a Tag on the player only once instead of twice.   So the Colts would get the best 5 years from JT instead of six and then he’d be unrestricted.   I’m just saying this might be an option.   Don’t know if the Colts would even be willing to do this?   Just thinking out loud.  

Do you have a link to this ? Why would the Colts push JT to come back late in the season ?

The season was over and pushing a hobbled JT into action wasn't going to win us any more games

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PRnum1 said:

Do you have a link to this ? Why would the Colts push JT to come back late in the season ?

The season was over and pushing a hobbled JT into action wasn't going to win us any more games

I think the story is either two places.   One is on the Stampede Blue Website.   The other is in Steven Holder's long article on ESPN today.   The problem there is that it’s premium and behind a paywall.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If you think about it the Colts can't fold under JTs and his agents so called demands. If they give in it would open up a can of worms for every player and agent to make demands regardless of the contracts that were signed. 

I don’t think they will 

Taylor's level of anger about his situation caught the Colts off guard, according to multiple sources, who said Irsay and Ballard were particularly surprised.

Sure, the player had been seeking a contract extension, and the Colts had made no promises he'd get one. Taylor wasn't happy about it, but he knew what the situation was when he arrived July 25.

Much of Taylor's bitterness originated from a request by the team for Taylor to return to Indianapolis in advance of training camp so its medical staff could assess him, multiple sources said. The team saw it as a reasonable request, sources said, after Taylor underwent an arthroscopic procedure on his right ankle Jan. 25. It was a minimally invasive procedure during which small incisions were made to remove debris. Taylor was expected to make a full recovery in a few weeks to a month.

But Taylor viewed the request warily, according to sources. He believed it was part of an effort to pressure him to return to the field for the start of camp, despite his stance that he needed more time to recover.

he’s had 6 months to recover from a scope that everyone else recovers from in less than a month and he’s peeved because the colts asked him to come in early for an evaluation? Asked? Not required? Dude is a bigger cry baby than I ever imagined 

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Taylor's level of anger about his situation caught the Colts off guard, according to multiple sources, who said Irsay and Ballard were particularly surprised.

Sure, the player had been seeking a contract extension, and the Colts had made no promises he'd get one. Taylor wasn't happy about it, but he knew what the situation was when he arrived July 25.

Much of Taylor's bitterness originated from a request by the team for Taylor to return to Indianapolis in advance of training camp so its medical staff could assess him, multiple sources said. The team saw it as a reasonable request, sources said, after Taylor underwent an arthroscopic procedure on his right ankle Jan. 25. It was a minimally invasive procedure during which small incisions were made to remove debris. Taylor was expected to make a full recovery in a few weeks to a month.

But Taylor viewed the request warily, according to sources. He believed it was part of an effort to pressure him to return to the field for the start of camp, despite his stance that he needed more time to recover.

he’s had 6 months to recover from a scope that everyone else recovers from in less than a month and he’s peeved because the colts asked him to come in early for an evaluation? Asked? Not required? Dude is a bigger cry baby than I ever imagined 

Yeah he is using injuries to hold out.

47 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

That's like caving in to whiny child.........let his butt rot on the NFI or IR all year.

That doesn't make the problem go away. You've got Z. Franklin bumping his gums on twitter in support of JT. There is divide within the organization. Who's next Pittman?

7 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Zak keefer said on the radio this morning that he believes Ballard is challenging is philosophy about paying guys early because it just hasn’t worked. He said it’s was time to change things. He said they need to listen to trade requests because it might be better to add some pieces around Richardson.

Yeah, Ballard might be realizing continued mediocrity (45-52-1) is kind of a problem for his job security so maybe he’s changing what hasn’t worked. Good for him if true. 

24 minutes ago, Peter Nova said:

That doesn't make the problem go away. You've got Z. Franklin bumping his gums on twitter in support of JT. There is divide within the organization. Who's next Pittman?

Which is why you can’t cave. Not now. By cave I mean bowing to his entire demands. If a pay raise this year would help smooth things over, I’d do it. I’d give him a 6 mil pay raise, fully guaranteed for “VALID” football related injuries 

22 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Yeah, Ballard might be realizing continued mediocrity (45-52-1) is kind of a problem for his job security so maybe he’s changing what hasn’t worked. Good for him if true. 

Any GM is gonna listen to trade offers. But what the payout will be has to be worth it. And I just don’t think you’re gonna get it. 

I haven't seen it mentioned, but I think there's a chance this has nothing to do with a lingering injury or contract extension this year. JT is a traditional RB that needs an old school system to maximize his impact and therefore his value to a prospective franchise. I think there's a chance his current "holdout" is an effort to be traded to a run heavy team because he knows he doesn't fit into the Steichen system. To get as many snaps as he has to this point, he will need to prove himself capable as a runner, pass-catcher, and blocker. I can see JT believing that this confrontation with the front office is less costly than playing his last year before an extension with the expectation that he fills all of those roles effectively. 

• Like 1

What say you?

Taylor Trade Packages:

KC - Taylor

IND - 2024 1st, Edwards-Helaire

BUF - Taylor

IND - 2024 1st, 2025 4th

SEA - Taylor

IND - 2024 2nd, Kenneth Walker

MIA - Taylor

IND - 2024 1st, Devon Achane(SP?)

SF - Taylor

IND - 2024 1st, Eli Mitchell

TB - Taylor

IND - 2024 1st, Rachon(SP?) White

Before I hear, "we won't get packages like that",  ok, then he will not be traded, simple as that. In order for us to trade him now, it will be a big package.(2nd and conditional 4th(turn to 3rd) is the floor, and likely won't even move the needle to make the Colts consider it.)

Taylor's contract is cheap, so SB contending teams that are tight to the cap can fit it in. It also isn't a rental, whoever trades for him will have control of the future with the tag, if they can't come to an extension agreement.

Can you imagine if KC or BUF added Taylor, what he would do for those teams? Be crazy to not throw a late 1st out there for Taylor.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, w87r said:

Can you imagine if KC or BUF added Taylor, what he would do for those teams? Be crazy to not throw a late 1st out there for Taylor.

Those offenses already work without a 10M plus a year RB.  What Taylor wants to be paid. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Peter Nova said:

Those offenses already work without a 10M plus a year RB.  What Taylor wants to be paid. 

KCs definitely works without, but would be a completely different beast with Taylor.

BUFs offense works to, but they need a run game to fall back in in the brutal NE winters.

They would be unable to pick him up at a different time(low on cap space), but now with only $4.3m they can fit that in and make a SB run this season.

Reevaluate after the year with team control, if they choose.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, w87r said:

KCs definitely works without, but would be a completely different beast with Taylor.

BUFs offense works to, but they need a run game to fall back in in the brutal NE winters.

They would be unable to pick him up at a different time(low on cap space), but now with only $4.3m they can fit that in and make a SB run this season.

Reevaluate after the year with team control, if they choose.

I bet Taylor would heal up quickly. :peek:

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, w87r said:

What say you?

Taylor Trade Packages:

KC - Taylor

BUF - Taylor

IND - 2024 1st, 2025 4th

SEA - Taylor

MIA - Taylor

SF - Taylor

TB - Taylor

Before I hear, "we won't get packages like that",  ok, then he will not be traded, simple as that. In order for us to trade him now, it will be a big package.(2nd and conditional 4th(turn to 3rd) is the floor, and likely won't even move the needle to make the Colts consider it.)

Taylor's contract is cheap, so SB contending teams that are tight to the cap can fit it in. It also isn't a rental, whoever trades for him will have control of the future with the tag, if they can't come to an extension agreement.

If we got offers like that, I’m sending him out west, San Fran, or perhaps Tampa. Some place we won’t likely see him against us

• Like 2

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

I think the driving force is that he has teamed up with other RB's to address the falling value their position has been facing.   

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, w87r said:

What say you?

Taylor Trade Packages:

KC - Taylor

BUF - Taylor

IND - 2024 1st, 2025 4th

SEA - Taylor

MIA - Taylor

SF - Taylor

TB - Taylor

I don't think any team would offer those for a RB who is coming off an injury and may still be injured.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

If we got offers like that, I’m sending him out west, San Fran, or perhaps Tampa. Some place we won’t likely see him against us

Would be nasty in SF with that scheme and Trent Williams out front.

Another team that would make sense to make a big splash move like this. With that Defense, Taylor, McCaffrey, Kittle, Samuel and Aiyuk.... Brock would probably have a Purdy good time.

Almost forgot they had CMC, and those 5 weapons on the field at the same time would be tough to match up against.

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

I don't think any team would offer those for a RB who is coming off an injury and may still be injured.

Then he won't be moved.

He will either sit or play, which is something I am completely fine with, unless we can pull a deal like this.

• Like 1