Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts @ Rams post game thread

Solid84

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

When the qb makes 1 read and runs, wrs aren't going to get many catches.

that’s true, but even on plays where he didn’t, what happened?  Or plays where he made more time with his legs.  Our tight ends and AR were the reasons we came alive.

any other receiver in the league would love having a qb who could break down plays with his legs. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

we aren’t going to draft Harrison. I don’t think the pass catchers were bad today. 

WRs: 5 catches 13 targets, 93 yards 0 tds

TEs: 6 catches, 10 targets, 107 yards 2tds.

our WRs are getting outplayed by the TEs and the only WR to have more than 1 catch was our rookie Downs who had 2.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Zoltan said:

Agreed I'm gonna be praying that we steal another move from the eagles and we bring in a 1st round WR plus a high end veteran with Steichen Ballard has broken his drafting mould with Downs now to brake another trend and find a way to bring in an elite WR through FA or a trade.

Roseman is a wizard. How does he manage to get a top 5 receiver in the league in his absolute prime... young... all his prime ahead of him... for a mid-1st. And this was AFTER he had picked another stud WR in the previous draft. 

Just now, stitches said:

Roseman is a wizard. How does he manage to get a top 5 receiver in the league in his absolute prime... young... all his prime ahead of him... for a mid-1st. And this was AFTER he had picked another stud WR in the previous draft. 

Ballard could have done this as well. He chooses to draft non-first round WRs as he doesn't value the position.

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

very true

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What do you guys think of the OT rules? IMO both teams should at least get a chance to score. AR didn't even get his chance and he was hot in the 4th. 

It hurt us here, but I'm fine with them. You get a chance to tie if you stop them or hold them to a FG. The defending team shouldn't be given another chance if they allow a TD. I'm saying that as a Colts fan that lost this game.

6 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

our WRs are getting outplayed by the TEs and the only WR to have more than 1 catch was our rookie Downs who had 2.

Separate targets and catchable balls. Richardson was not good first half. So what about tight ends. They are all pass catchers.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Ballard could have done this as well. He chooses to draft non-first round WRs as he doesn't value the position.

I do think this offseason will be interesting to see how he changes what type of players he likes since he will have steichen's prototypes and not Reichs. I think the Downs pick was an indicator that it won't always be the tall fast guy.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It hurt us here, but I'm fine with them. You get a chance to tie if you stop them or hold them to a FG. The defending team shouldn't be given another chance if they allow a TD. I'm saying that as a Colts fan that lost this game.

I just remember that playoff game in 2008 when we played the Chargers, they won the toss and went down and scored a TD and Peyton didn't even get a chance. Sucked.

• Like 3

Steichen drew up some great plays and formations especially in the red zone. I wasn’t not a fan of the play calls the final drive.  I would have liked to have seen a run for AR called. If not, one for Moss. 

AR missed a throw to Pittman and Granson but people are nitpicking every time he misses one. He wasn’t the reason the Colts were behind. He’s going to be great. My once concern is his Wentz like plays under pressure. Eventually that will bite him in the *. 

The late hit by Speed was stupid and really put them behind the 8-ball. I thought the call on Moore was nonsense, but two personal fouls and a false start along with a fumble was a big reason they were losing. 

Leonard has gone from an overrated LB  who was a great playmaker to an absolute liability.  He doesn’t have the burst anymore to make up for his deficiencies. 

We knew the secondary was going to have growing pains. All are young except Moore who got torched most of the day.  They miss McLeod’s leadership. Thomas was excellent with him last year. Flowers looked good today. That looked like an achillies to me. 

I know Defo was dinged but I didn’t understand Bryan and Johnson out there the final drive.  

7 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

And yet another big drop from Pierce in this game! D was good, but AP just cant get any separation! He’s becoming a bust and yet another wasted Ballard draft pick!

1 minute ago, Zoltan said:

I do think this offseason will be interesting to see how he changes what type of players he likes since he will have steichen's prototypes and not Reichs. I think the Downs pick was an indicator that it won't always be the tall fast guy.

I think there is a good chance we draft a WR in the first round this year if there is one worthy of that pick.

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Roseman did not hit on Reagor (1st rd) and Arcega-Whiteside (2nd round). What is great about Roseman is that he quickly moves on from bad draft picks regardless of where they were drafted. I like Roseman a lot.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

@GoColts8818 Usually does this, but I didn't see the thread yet.

Good:

• AR – His arm got us back in the back. Of course, he still needs to work on accuracy, but HE got us back in the game.
  • Ogletree - The guy just produces. Get him on the field more often! Get him the ball!
  • Moss - Didn’t get enough carries during the first half, he got some tough yards during the 2nd and he some good runs.
  • HEART – again our guys played their pants off. Just fell short today.

Bad:

• WRs – It’s obvious some of it is AR’s accuracy. Some of it is AR being told to read 1-2 then throw it away or run. But man I really want to see our guys to start making the tough catches. Pittman and Pierce both left big plays on the field today.
  • Secondary - *turd-alert*
  • I’ll be honest and say Steichen didn’t help our guys today.
  • Matt Gay missed a chance for us to win it, indirectly.

Horrible:

• The refs. Get that crew out of the NFL. Pittman got robbed of a TD play by that facemask. The least they could do was give us the deserved PI call.

Yeah had to run off after the game.  

Positives:

Richardson’s second half 

the tightends despite one drop from Granson they had big days

Freeland wasn’t great but did better than I expected given it was his first start

Dayo and Moore tried to beat the Rams as the only two who played on defense

Moss, the big throws came following his runs.  When they didn’t run with him they didn’t move the ball.

Negatives:

Richardson’s first half - looked like a rookie QB going up against a good defense

The defense minus Moore and Dayo

Coaching was pretty bad today all over the place, not taking the field goal (I was wrong),  undisciplined team, play calling one the drive when they got the ball back with a chance to win.  Going away from Moss in the first half when he had such a big day last week and trying to run Richardson too much.

Matt Gay gets paid to much money to miss under 50 yard field goals in doors.

the oline was pretty bad in the second half when pass blocking.

WRs were largely MIA.

I feel like Buckner being hurt was a huge deal.  He was extremely limited and the Colts d line starts with him and him not playing really showed.

Speed really got things off to a bad start with a really dumb hit on Stafford when the Colts hard the Rams stopped on their first drive.

The refs not going to say they cost the colts the game when the Colts had so many self inflicted wounds but man where they one sided and wildly inconsistent.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Separate targets and catchable balls. Richardson was not good first half. So what about tight ends. They are all pass catchers.

Your TEs shouldn't be outperforming your WRs period and when you go by player it actually looks worse because all the drops at the TE position were from Granson 2 of 5. Pittman was 1 of 5, Pierce 1 of 2, Downs was the most reliable at 2 of 3 which I'm okay with. Mckenzie was 1 of 3. 

• Like 1

Just now, Zoltan said:

Your TEs shouldn't be outperforming your WRs period and when you go by player it actually looks worse because all the drops at the TE position were from Granson 2 of 5. Pittman was 1 of 5, Pierce 1 of 2, Downs was the most reliable at 2 of 3 which I'm okay with. Mckenzie was 1 of 3. 

Why not? If they are good tight ends are a mismatch all the time. You want tight ends taking advantage of that. Maybe Steichen was taking advantage of that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Roseman did not hit on Reagor (1st rd) and Arcega-Whiteside (2nd round). What is great about Roseman is that he quickly moves on from bad draft picks regardless of where they were drafted. I like Roseman a lot.

Yeah, noone bats 100%. But he largely values the right things and invests in those areas. 

• Like 5

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This looked like a communication  error on defense.

Look at the start of that play! 3 wrs with only 2 dbs on their right side! The safety was inside and too far back! 2 of those wrs cleared out with the safety following them, leaving Nacua wide open! That should atleast have been man-to-man defense! Zone in this situation fails 90%of the time! Total failure to be put in that situation!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

he couldn’t have as he didn’t have a first thatbyear but let’s say they did.  Zero percent chance Titans trade Brown in division…

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This looked like a communication  error on defense.

They were totally toast at that point. I literally wouldve bet my house on them giving up a td at that point unfortunately.

Also @2006ColtsbesteverI also hate the OT rules. Losing without ever getting a chance to even score is lame I'm sorry. I don't care about the whole 'stop them' argument. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Yeah, and after those seasons, alot of Eagles fans wanted him fired but he moved on from those players quick, flipped the roster and became a super bowl caliber team.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I'm looking forward to seeing the PFF grades for "hands". I expect our WRs to look bad.

20 minutes ago, stitches said:

I know Richardson has his own issues with accuracy and pace of his throws, but game after game after game our pass-catchers are not helping him at all. We need better, more reliable weapons in the pass game. I keep repeating this and I will keep repeating it ... until we draft MHJ... 

Ballard is going to hate the fact that wide out is still an issue after drafting one in the first 3 rounds 2 years back to back, but you are absolutely right. Idk if we’ll be able to get MHJ but you need someone who can be “that” guy. It’s the same thing the announcers were saying about the Ravens last week. That they never have that elite skill position guy who the defense fears.

We had/have Taylor, but we haven’t had that guy as a pass catcher in quite awhile. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Only disappointing thing about losing is waiting another week to see Richardson play. That was a electric second half.

Today's first half was the first real struggle from Richardson in his career. The positive is he figured it out and lead us to a shot in OT. He never got a chance to win it for us as the defense let us down. So I expect AR to continue to improve. Right now, he is close to Stroud as the best QB in this class. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Why not? If they are good tight ends are a mismatch all the time. You want tight ends taking advantage of that. Maybe Steichen was taking advantage of that.

because tight ends aren’t as fast wide receivers and don’t have the big play ability like they do.  There are some tight ends who can do it, but if that’s who you’re depending on for your big plays, then you have a wide receiver problem.

• Like 1

So Travis Kelce shouldn’t be our performing the chiefs WR because he is a tight end lol.

Just now, smittywerb said:

because tight ends aren’t as fast wide receivers and don’t have the big play ability like they do.  There are some tight ends who can do it, but if that’s who you’re depending on for your big plays, then you have a wide receiver problem.

So why is Kelce the hundred one target on chiefs? Tight ends are a mismatch. Take advantage of that.

• Like 1

1.  Was not a fan of the offensive play calling to start the game and most of the 1st half.... the offense looked a lot better in the 2nd half when they actually called some deeper router and allowed Richardson to take some shots. 

2.  As unremarkable as AR looked in the 1st half, I was really happy with the 2nd half.  Getting a game into OT from a 23 point in the 2nd half is pretty impressive considering it was only his 3rd start as a pro.  Also, he was real close to hitting some throws on the last drive in OT that could have put us in FG range for example 1st down to Pittman which got tipped.

3. At the end of day, games like this even if it ends up in a L are going to pay dividends down the road for helping AR meet his potential, which ultimately is going to be what determines whether this team gets back to being a contender. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Ballard is going to hate the fact that wide out is still an issue after drafting one in the first 3 rounds 2 years back to back, but you are absolutely right. Idk if we’ll be able to get MHJ but you need someone who can be “that” guy. It’s the same thing the announcers were saying about the Ravens last week. That they never have that elite skill position guy who the defense fears.

We had/have Taylor, but we haven’t had that guy as a pass catcher in quite awhile. 

There will be some interesting names in FA including Mike Evans, Hollywood Brown, and Calvin Ridley but none I would break the bank for Brown could be an interesting fit in this offense but I would still want a 1st round pick WR