Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Some things remain the same

JediXMan

These WRs played against mainly against 2s and 3s today and didn't look all that good. Other than Pittman the others didn't impress. Downs had an ugly drop but he's a rookie and still learning. The one WR I'm starting to get concerned for is Pierce. For all that talk about how he's looking at practice that's not showing up to these last few games.    

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

These WRs played against mainly against 2s and 3s today and didn't look all that good. Other than Pittman the others didn't impress. Downs had an ugly drop but he's a rookie and still learning. The one WR I'm starting to get concerned for is Pierce. For all that talk about how he's looking at practice that's not showing up to these last few games.    

All the WRs are terrible. Downs will probably be ok eventually, but Pierce and Pittman need to go.

Pierce especially, dude is a bust

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

I doubt they make the roster anyways.

TBF, as you said, Pierce hasn’t looked like he deserves a roster spot.  I thought he was a one trick pony, jump ball guy.  But he doesn’t get separation.   

If it were me, I’d keep 4 TEs and 5 WRs.  Dump MAC, keep two bigs and two flex’s.  But that’s a lot of youth, probably too much for the coaches.  

• Like 3

Just now, Smonroe said:

TBF, as you said, Pierce hasn’t looked like he deserves a roster spot.  I thought he was a one trick pony, jump ball guy.  But he doesn’t get separation.   

If it were me, I’d keep 4 TEs and 5 WRs.  Dump MAC, keep two bigs and two flex’s.  But that’s a lot of youth, probably too much for the coaches.  

to be fair GIF

3 minutes ago, Indeee said:

All the WRs are terrible. Downs will probably be ok eventually, but Pierce and Pittman need to go.

I said that about Pierce on draft day. I was hoping to be wrong, but he to date is proving me right. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

I said that about Pierce on draft day. I was hoping to be wrong, but he to date is proving me right. 

Me too. He should have never been drafted. All we had to do was move up a couple spots that day and gran Pickens but nope, Ballard stayed put and took a jag

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JediXMan said:

To be fair, ball placement wasn’t the greatest by AR. That pass where Pittman went down with an injury, that was a poor pass by AR. There were some other erratic throws. 

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

Me too. He should have never been drafted. All we had to do was move up a couple spots that day and gran Pickens but nope, Ballard stayed put and took a jag

With all the reports surrounding Pickens character Colts we’re right not to draft him. If you look at a lot of what he’s doing and staying in Pittsburgh it’s kind of crazy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Hit the nail right on the head. Alec plays so weak , like he doesn’t fight thru contact for the ball at all. If it’s not a clean release and vertical he probably not catching it. But I know normally WRs take 2-3 years to develop we have just been seeing some abnormalities with chase and Jefferson etc… but we might end up with MHJ at the end of year if we struggle this year

• Like 1

Dallas Flowers looks like the real deal.

Mallory reminds me of Doyle.

Maybe Carter O'Donnell > Fries?

Pierce should have been drug tested after the game.

AR's legs make 3rd and 10 feel like 3rd and 5. He fly!

We desperately need next years #1 pick.

Please please please free Granson. Let him go.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

Hit the nail right on the head. Alec plays so weak , like he doesn’t fight thru contact for the ball at all. If it’s not a clean release and vertical he probably not catching it. But I know normally WRs take 2-3 years to develop we have just been seeing some abnormalities with chase and Jefferson etc… but we might end up with MHJ at the end of year if we struggle this year

If I had to guess right now, I’d say we’ll at least be close in the 2024 draft order to have a shot at Marvin Jr.

I’m guessing we’ll win somewhere between 3-6 games.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

To be fair, ball placement wasn’t the greatest by AR. That pass where Pittman went down with an injury, that was a poor pass by AR. There were some other erratic throws. 

Generally agree but AR was on the run and escaping pressure on that throw. 

If we expect AR to be precise while running then its fair to expect Pittman (and Pierce) to catch passes that aren't perfect. 

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Yes free Granson! Never understood why they drafted him. Watched him a few games in college and saw him drop several passes. Agree with everything you said. 

7 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

With all the reports surrounding Pickens character Colts we’re right not to draft him. If you look at a lot of what he’s doing and staying in Pittsburgh it’s kind of crazy.

Pickens was a round one talent that slipped because of off field issues. < Should not have mattered. Colts could have easily moved up a little bit and snagged him. This organization under Ballard is actually guilty of two things at this point. Either they are guilty of not valuing WRs enough or guilty of not being able to gauge talent in that position. Either way, in an era where wideouts are the going commodity, this organization better change its mindset and/or figure out how to evaluate talent quickly or we are sunk.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Pickens was a round one talent that slipped because of off field issues. < Should not have mattered. Colts could have easily moved up a little bit and snagged him. This organization under Ballard is actually guilty of two things at this point. Either they are guilty of not valuing WRs enough or guilty of not being able to gauge talent in that position. Either way, in an era where wideouts are the going commodity, this organization better change its mindset and/or figure out how to evaluate talent quickly or we are sunk.

We can agree to disagree , off the field issues most certainly should have mattered. Character should matter , if you’re going to bring a guy into a specific culture he needs to fit the mold and embody that culture.

1 hour ago, Mitch Connors said:

Generally agree but AR was on the run and escaping pressure on that throw. 

If we expect AR to be precise while running then its fair to expect Pittman (and Pierce) to catch passes that aren't perfect. 

That was just one instance, there were others where he was standing in the pocket and ball placement was an issue. It could have been the pressure that he was sensing may have forced a ball to high or low. It’s something I think he can work on tho.

1 hour ago, ProblChld32 said:

We can agree to disagree , off the field issues most certainly should have mattered. Character should matter , if you’re going to bring a guy into a specific culture he needs to fit the mold and embody that culture.

Pittsburgh is one of the most respected teams/franchises in the HISTORY of the NFL and they didn't care. Let that sink in.

All of you all on here with these character issues nonsense to as why we should never acquire truly talented players need to get over yourselves.

This is football, it is violent and where no one should ever want murderers on their team or players that repeatedly put themselves in situations that are detrimental to themselves and the organization, you cannot just pass on talent because a human being made a past mistake by being a knucklehead. I for one have been there done that.

As for now, your way is what we have, so you are winning. We have bunch of high character guys who can't play the position of WR that well. 

Yay!! 

4 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Dear God….      :facepalm:

23 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Pittsburgh is one of the most respected teams/franchises in the HISTORY of the NFL and they didn't care. Let that sink in.

All of you all on here with these character issues nonsense to as why we should never acquire truly talented players need to get over yourselves.

This is football, it is violent and where no one should ever want murderers on their team or players that repeatedly put themselves in situations that are detrimental to themselves and the organization, you cannot just pass on talent because a human being made a past mistake by being a knucklehead. I for one have been there done that.

As for now, your way is what we have, so you are winning. We have bunch of high character guys who can't play the position of WR that well. 

Yay!! 

I’ll use your words to see if it sinks in as you now put it…..

Where was George Pickens drafted?    You wrote it yourself, Pickens has first round talent and I agree.   He certainly has played like a first round wide receiver.   So where was he drafted?  

Pick 52.  Not 42, or 32 or 22 or even 12.   Pick 52.    So it isn’t just the Colts who passed on him, so did the entire NFL.   Why didn’t Kansas City trade up?  They picked after the Colts at 54 and took WR Skyy Moore.   Andy Reid didn’t move up for Pickens either.   So when pretty much the entire NFL passes on a first round talent like Pickens that tells you the character issues were real. 

Different teams approach the character differently.   Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Seattle, Las Vegas are franchises well known for being willing to deal with unique players.  But franchises are different and it typically comes from the owner, so it’s not just Ballard.   Grigson used to say no character  issue players until round 6.   It comes from Irsay. 

Final thought….   I couldn’t help but notice one of your posts that noted you getting laughing emoji’s over your “concerns”about our receivers.   As someone who gave you two of those emojis I’ll tell you why, and it wasn’t over your “concerns” as you now put it.   It was over two earlier posts where you expressed far FAR more than just “concerns”.   But this post is long enough for now.   I’ll save the rest for a follow up post where I can better explain.   Concerns had nothing to do with it. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Where was George Pickens drafted?    You wrote it yourself, Pickens has first round talent and I agree.   He certainly has played like a first round wide receiver.   So where was he drafted?  

Pick 52.  Not 42, or 32 or 22 or even 12.   Pick 52.    So it isn’t just the Colts who passed on him, so did the entire NFL.   Why didn’t Kansas City trade up?  They picked after the Colts at 54 and took WR Skyy Moore.   Andy Reid didn’t move up for Pickens either.   So when pretty much the entire NFL passes on a first round talent like Pickens that tells you the character issues were real. 

Different teams approach the character differently.   Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Seattle, Las Vegas are franchises well known for being willing to deal with unique players.  But franchises are different and it typically comes from the owner, so it’s not just Ballard.   Grigson used to say no character  issue players until round 6.   It comes from Irsay. 

Final thought….   I couldn’t help but notice one of your posts that noted you getting laughing emoji’s over your “concerns”about our receivers.   As someone who gave you two of those emojis I’ll tell you why, and it wasn’t over your “concerns” as you now put it.   It was over two earlier posts where you expressed far FAR more than just “concerns”.   But this post is long enough for now.   I’ll save the rest for a follow up post where I can better explain.   Concerns had nothing to do with it. 

If given a choice for a smaller school prospect, I would have gone with Skyy Moore or even Jalen Tolbert over Pierce, personally. We will see - it took Reggie Wayne 3 years to blossom, so I am not going to give up on Pierce that easily. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The bolded is getting as old as you are trying to justify the obvious. You and others keep trying to hammer out that we do things different, well duh.. And that's why we are here now isn't it.

If this organization did things like other organizations do then maybe we would actually have some talent in the WR room, but we really do not. On another note, who gives a snot about the rest of the league. That's like arguing why the Colts have ham on Tuesday unlike the Saints who has ham on a Wednesday. 

The results of this team in its current state when speaking of the wideouts is what this is all about. Instead of trying to throw a warm cozy blanket on a very cold subject why don't you just admit that this group blows. Whether that is based on coaching, talent, or whatever doesn't matter. They blow. They have not developed fast enough to be truly relevant. At times they all seem like they are just waiting for the other to take the reins and lead. Going through the motion if you will. These receivers are not consistent enough to make a true difference and everyone here knows that regardless of how you and/or others try to spin it. None of them move the needle. 

Right now, the Colts are stuck with these lunkheads and so are we, the fans. We have no choice but to hope they get better and if they do, that would be awesome!! I just don't see it or there would already be some semblance of that taking place and there isn't. Somebody on here the other day answered a thread with "why so many receivers" directly after we signed Montgomery and Washington. :thinking: 

We are about to potentially be put in a position where Pittman will command a hefty price, unfortunately. One he does not deserve at all, so if the Colts decide to let him walk, which they should, based on his CONSISTENT production or lack thereof, who do we have then? 

Everybody on here would most likely agree that Pittman is our most consistent WR out of all we have currently, and he wouldn't be a WR2a on over 1/2 the teams in the league, so what does that tell you?

As far as I'm concerned Pittman and Pierce should at least be offered in all current trade talks when trying to move Taylor. :goodluck:

13 hours ago, Indeee said:

Respectfully,  give it some time

I think we stole to get Downs.  The guy had a rough night but once we get some play time with AR, this will be an amazing thing

Pierce started slow last year......  When he actually had the ball thrown his way he did really well.

Pittman is a good WR2.  Every team needs a good WR2

Overall , I would agree that the WR room , at this stage is middling at best.

My hope is that we pick up ONE game changing WR in next years draft..... one that actually frightens defenses  

13 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Respectfully,  give it some time

I think we stole to get Downs.  The guy had a rough night but once we get some play time with AR, this will be an amazing thing

Pierce started slow last year......  When he actually had the ball thrown his way he did really well.

Pittman is a good WR2.  Every team needs a good WR2

Overall , I would agree that the WR room , at this stage is middling at best.

My hope is that we pick up ONE game changing WR in next years draft..... one that actually frightens defenses  

I'm with you. I'm on the record as saying that if this group can get it together then I would gladly be totally wrong. In its current state i just don't see it, especially with Pierce.

I do like Downs, as I think he will at least also bring some fire into the mix once he gets more comfortable. 

I'm just getting tired of the "well 78 other teams passed him over" shtick when WRs we could have easily drafted are flourishing on other teams and our WRs are not. 

Anyway -Cheers

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Indeee said:

The bolded is getting as old as you are trying to justify the obvious. You and others keep trying to hammer out that we do things different, well duh.. And that's why we are here now isn't it.

If this organization did things like other organizations do then maybe we would actually have some talent in the WR room, but we really do not. On another note, who gives a snot about the rest of the league. That's like arguing why the Colts have ham on Tuesday unlike the Saints who has ham on a Wednesday. 

The results of this team in its current state when speaking of the wideouts is what this is all about. Instead of trying to throw a warm cozy blanket on a very cold subject why don't you just admit that this group blows. Whether that is based on coaching, talent, or whatever doesn't matter. They blow. They have not developed fast enough to be truly relevant. At times they all seem like they are just waiting for the other to take the reins and lead. Going through the motion if you will. These receivers are not consistent enough to make a true difference and everyone here knows that regardless of how you and/or others try to spin it. None of them move the needle. 

Right now, the Colts are stuck with these lunkheads and so are we, the fans. We have no choice but to hope they get better and if they do, that would be awesome!! I just don't see it or there would already be some semblance of that taking place and there isn't. Somebody on here the other day answered a thread with "why so many receivers" directly after we signed Montgomery and Washington. :thinking: 

We are about to potentially be put in a position where Pittman will command a hefty price, unfortunately. One he does not deserve at all, so if the Colts decide to let him walk, which they should, based on his CONSISTENT production or lack thereof, who do we have then? 

Everybody on here would most likely agree that Pittman is our most consistent WR out of all we have currently, and he wouldn't be a WR2a on over 1/2 the teams in the league, so what does that tell you?

As far as I'm concerned Pittman and Pierce should at least be offered in all current trade talks when trying to move Taylor. :goodluck:

Indeee….    I have no interest to going thru this post point by point.   You gave your views and mine couldn’t be more different.  

There are a few points to touch base on….  My position is clearly not obvious,  certainly not with you,  if it was you’d agree with me in large part, but you don’t and that’s ok.   Pointing out that what the Colts do is what most teams do is simply pointing out that what the Colts do is in the mainstream of NFL thought.   It’s not some weird Irsay or Ballard thing and it’s not why we’re here coming off 4-12-1.    We’re here because the Colts got the QB badly wrong and the OL mysteriously imploded and went from a strength to a weakness.   Get those right and last year would’ve been dramatically different, IMO. 

I’ll save the rest for a later post about why you and I are having this conversation in the first place.  You and I typically don’t have many exchanges, and that’s ok.  But we are today because if some stunning revelations that I’d like to address later.  Appreciate your patience. 

Some of you are so reactionary. Need I remind you Jamarr Chase dropped a ton of balls in preseason and was called a bust? Then he lit up the league his rookie year. Obviously our WRs aren't good but it's preseason. It's literally to work out the rough parts of the team. I don't know how you can already call Downs a bust based on one pass. He dropped a pass, boo hoo. He barely played with AR in the summer, I wouldn't be surprised if they had a lack of chemistry. And for those of you that wanted Pickens, there was 0 shot he was landing on the Colts. Trading up is easier said than done, and with the rumors of his character concerns, Colts wouldn't have wanted him. A lot of performance is based on where you land. I guarantee you, if Pickens was here, he wouldn't have as good of a year with Matt Ryan and co. Same with Pierce. If Pierce went to the Chiefs instead of Sky Moore, people would be roasting Ballard for passing on him. People need to chill out and wait. Apparently players can never improve from year to year.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Indeee….    I have no interest to going thru this post point by point.   You gave your views and mine couldn’t be more different.  

There are a few points to touch base on….  My position is clearly not obvious,  certainly not with you,  if it was you’d agree with me in large part, but you don’t and that’s ok.   Pointing out that what the Colts do is what most teams do is simply pointing out that what the Colts do is in the mainstream of NFL thought.   It’s not some weird Irsay or Ballard thing and it’s not why we’re here coming off 4-12-1.    We’re here because the Colts got the QB badly wrong and the OL mysteriously imploded and went from a strength to a weakness.   Get those right and last year would’ve been dramatically different, IMO. 

I’ll save the rest for a later post about why you and I are having this conversation in the first place.  You and I typically don’t have many exchanges, and that’s ok.  But we are today because if some stunning revelations that I’d like to address later.  Appreciate your patience. 

I mistakenly wrote my response wrong. I meant to imply that I don't care what every other NFL team seemingly does pertaining on passing on players or if the Colts follow suit. It always isn't indicative of one set agenda. Some teams don't deem certain players a fit, some don't like their physical traits, and some don't want to risk the potential of unfavorable off field traits coming to light in a habitual sense once acquired. Either way, the choices of this organization should not be lumped in with other teams. This team needs to understand where its weakness is and seriously address it. On the surface it seems like the Colts have attempted to do that, but a closer look tells you that they have not. 

For years now, the weakness has been in offensive playmakers. There is not one Colts fan that should disagree with that. Each offseason when we draft or sign FAs that could potentially become those playmakers we so desperately need, we are hopeful and optimistic, however most of these signings/draftees under Ballard should have been realized as not good selections. The players chosen were never that good to begin with or bargain signings at best. This isn't speculation, it's fact. There is no need to list all the absolute busts in the WR room we all have endured. 

Downs might be legit hopefully, but he is a slot guy, and Pittman is an ok WR2 sometimes but not nearly what he should be considering this team has zero playmakers at this position currently or since Pittman has been here. Yet Pittman is still just a second-tier jag who has shown nothing in terms of commanding the room so to speak and throwing it on his shoulders to excel in that room desperate of leaders and don't tell me it's because of the QB play because that is not the only issue. I have used the example of Nuk many times. He has seriously bad QB play long before Watson came around and yet he was still putting up massive numbers where defenses had to account for him week in and week out. Pittman is a jag.

I'm not saying I know it all, but I hated this pick. I am not a fan of Michael Pittman. I knew what he was at USC. A possession guy at best and possession guys are fine but not when the team needs an alpha stud. You don't draft a possession guy to be an alpha stud as it very seldom works out. A few examples like K Allen yes, but I think we can both agree that Allen commands the ball and is always open where Pittman does/is not. 

6 years and zero contributors outside of an occasional game or two, here and there. If you have paid attention to my rants/takes, I have used the word consistency time and time again. That is what is lacking. Consistency. 

Anyway, the lack of real playmakers, IMO, has the potential to derail AR early on. It needs to be fixed quickly. 

Pierce was supposed to be a guy that won jump balls after taking the defense over the top. On the first play of the eggles game it was an overthrow to pierce against the eggles backups. Pierce did not beat the defender over the top and the ball was overthrown, Pierce was trailing the defender. He is not all that and if you watch closely, he rarely has any separation from the defender at all and in this league that ids what separates the stars from the jags. Pierce is another Ballard jag. 

Everybody harps on O-line, CB, and DE. None of these positions score points. The Colts are in a loaded AFC. An AFC that scores an immense number of points. WR is the most pressing need of this team. Until it's fixed, we lose. 

19 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Some of you are so reactionary. Need I remind you Jamarr Chase dropped a ton of balls in preseason and was called a bust? Then he lit up the league his rookie year. Obviously our WRs aren't good but it's preseason. It's literally to work out the rough parts of the team. I don't know how you can already call Downs a bust based on one pass. He dropped a pass, boo hoo. He barely played with AR in the summer, I wouldn't be surprised if they had a lack of chemistry. And for those of you that wanted Pickens, there was 0 shot he was landing on the Colts. Trading up is easier said than done, and with the rumors of his character concerns, Colts wouldn't have wanted him. A lot of performance is based on where you land. I guarantee you, if Pickens was here, he wouldn't have as good of a year with Matt Ryan and co. Same with Pierce. If Pierce went to the Chiefs instead of Sky Moore, people would be roasting Ballard for passing on him. People need to chill out and wait. Apparently players can never improve from year to year.

Oh, for God's sake. Now you are comparing Pierce to Chase. Have you lost your mind? 

Jaamar Chase in 2 years scored 23 TDs at LSU. Pierce in 4 years at cincy scored 12

Just please stop the stupidity.