Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Richardson named starter for the season

Indyfan4life

3 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Twitter is about to collapse. 

It’s as lawless as the old west at this point. There’s so much fake information being spread and it’s directly effecting my profession… 

The switch from Twitter to X is causing all sorts of chaos and issues… most of the developers (some on whom were my friends) have been fired for no reason. 

I get the hoorah for all the “free speech” but at what point is complete lies and false accusations that hurt teachers free speech? 

And that’s not even to mention the fact that Musk just removed the ability to block people. So now pedophiles, creeps, stalkers, abusers and more have free rein to harass and target people. 

The solution of course? “Just delete Twitter then”. And that’s what people are doing. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

It’s as lawless as the old west at this point. There’s so much fake information being spread and it’s directly effecting my profession… 

The switch from Twitter to X is causing all sorts of chaos and issues… most of the developers (some on whom were my friends) have been fired for no reason. 

I get the hoorah for all the “free speech” but at what point is complete lies and false accusations that hurt teachers free speech? 

And that’s not even to mention the fact that Musk just removed the ability to block people. So now pedophiles, creeps, stalkers, abusers and more have free rein to harass and target people. 

The solution of course? “Just delete Twitter then”. And that’s what people are doing. 

I still see a benefit of opening it up despite the issues.  It was way to much leaning in one political direction which is potential disastrous for both parties and the unaffiliated.

it added to the potentially catastrophic polarization that is happening.

IMO despite the ugliness, it’s better that it is either open and ugly rather than biased and cleaner, and it’s also better if it becomes irrelevant rather than being biased and clean.

The damage of all the polar media is profound and we haven’t begun to see the worst of its affects IMO.

Not a huge Musk fan but I think he’s sacrificing a bunch of his own money and doing the world a favor overall.

I share your profession and have witnessed the horrendous affects of biased leaning social media like Twitter.

you have to open up the wound.  It’s gonna stink and be nasty but at least it won’t rot us from the inside undetected as much.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Something is wrong with the twitter app. My links from the app will not work. I notice the links say x in them while if I do it from safari it says twitter. Has anyone had issues embedding tweets from the app. Is it this forum needs something done to allow x links?

We'll wait until x is done changing  twitter.  It's a hot mess these days and not worth trying to figure out

• Like 3

16 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

How many do you think we would win with Minshew? 6 or 7 I would say at most. You are not looking at the big picture at all.

Yes.  With a ceiling of 9-10 and a playoff chance.  This season is now junk.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, King Colt said:

I'm confused. Richardson is the starter. He plays some in preseason game #1. He sits for all of preseason game #2. Someone explain how that is good for him when he starts the regular season. And preseason Game #3, what then?

Yeah, I'd rather have seen him play Saturday. But the logic is that they had intense joint practices the week before the game, and those are being used to replace the reps he'd get in preseason. There's also an argument that a lot of starters go so hard in joint practices that it would be detrimental to their recovery to have them play the second preseason game. So if more than half of your starting offense isn't playing in Game 2, maybe don't put your starting QB out there with a cast of backups. I'm not supporting these arguments, just repeating them.

Apparently the plan is for the starters to play in Game 3, though.

On 8/19/2023 at 7:19 PM, Myles said:

Yes.  With a ceiling of 9-10 and a playoff chance.  This season is now junk.

You have a lot more faith in Gardner Minshew than I do... 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yeah, I'd rather have seen him play Saturday. But the logic is that they had intense joint practices the week before the game, and those are being used to replace the reps he'd get in preseason. There's also an argument that a lot of starters go so hard in joint practices that it would be detrimental to their recovery to have them play the second preseason game. So if more than half of your starting offense isn't playing in Game 2, maybe don't put your starting QB out there with a cast of backups. I'm not supporting these arguments, just repeating them.

Apparently the plan is for the starters to play in Game 3, though.

I kind of feel like his status for pre-season game 3 will depend on the status of the OL. Which further emphasizes my dismay about how Ballard has treated the OL. We are so afraid to put RIchardson with subpar backups but we didn't address the depth at all in the off-season and pretty much any injury to a starting OL will put guys in play that I would worry about starting... 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, stitches said:

I kind of feel like his status for pre-season game 3 will depend on the status of the OL. Which further emphasizes my dismay about how Ballard has treated the OL. We are so afraid to put RIchardson with subpar backups but we didn't address the depth at all in the off-season and pretty much any injury to a starting OL will put guys in play that I would worry about starting... 

Maybe, but I don't even know if it's about subpar backups. It's more about putting him out there with a bunch of guys who probably aren't even on the roster in two weeks. If that's the case, what's the point? 

In Richardson's case, I'm not too worried about the protection in preseason. He can protect himself. I think it's more about managing the workload of the majority of the starting level players, after a week of joint practices. I don't really like the way they handled it, not with a rookie QB, but it's becoming the standard over the last couple seasons to sit most of your starters in Game 2.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Maybe, but I don't even know if it's about subpar backups. It's more about putting him out there with a bunch of guys who probably aren't even on the roster in two weeks. If that's the case, what's the point? 

In Richardson's case, I'm not too worried about the protection in preseason. He can protect himself. I think it's more about managing the workload of the majority of the starting level players, after a week of joint practices. I don't really like the way they handled it, not with a rookie QB, but it's becoming the standard over the last couple seasons to sit most of your starters in Game 2.

And our record early in the seasons suggests that something is not right about the way we are preparing for the start of the seasons... 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, stitches said:

What! So drafting a Tackle, and signing a Alabama G with a good resume is doing nothing at all!

Whether you like it or not, Pinter and French have earned Ballard's respect.

They have been developing O'Donnell for a few years. No I'm not impressed by them, but it's a long season and you just never know who might step up.

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

What! So drafting a Tackle,

Super raw tackle in the 4th... and I liked that pick, but I said it at the time too - he has potential... but he's not good right now... and he hasn't been good in pre-season so far... which again.. is OK for a developmental tackle. It's not OK for a player who you might have to start week 1. 

and signing a Alabama G with a good resume is doing nothing at all!

Alabama G is a UDFA... and I liked him too... but this cannot be serious when talking about addressing the weaknesses of this OL, especially when talking about immediate impact. 

Whether you like it or not, Pinter and French have earned Ballard's respect.

If Ballard is relying on Pinter and French, then again - this is on him! He's repeating the same mistakes with the OL again and again... 

They have been developing O'Donnell for a few years. No I'm not impressed by them, but it's a long season and you just never know who might step up.

O'Donnell is another UDFA, who has shown literally NOTHING for us to even have hopes he will be good rotational piece. I don't mind taking those type of shots on developmental players. But they have to show something for me to keep giving them shot after shot and betting the health of my highly prized QBs on them... 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, stitches said:

And our record early in the seasons suggests that something is not right about the way we are preparing for the start of the seasons... 

To be clear, when I say it's becoming the standard, I mean among several teams around the league. But, the Texans had joint practices with the Dolphins last week, and still played Stroud in Game 2. 

I guess it's probably overstating it to call it standard. The three game preseason is still new, and teams with young QBs will have different motivations. But this is what the Eagles did with Hurts the last two seasons, so I'm thinking it's thought out and intentional. It's also a short week, with Game 3 on Thursday. We'll see what happens, but I think most of the starters will play Game 3.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, King Colt said:

I'm confused. Richardson is the starter. He plays some in preseason game #1. He sits for all of preseason game #2. Someone explain how that is good for him when he starts the regular season. And preseason Game #3, what then?

The fact they have to play Thursday and it’s a short week and a few guys are nursing injuries that was a big reason they didn’t play Saturday. They will probably play Thursday.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Well, we have a new HC and I have a feeling that he wants to see fire from the players in the very first game to a much higher degree than Reich where it always felt, “easy-now-one-step-at-a-time…”

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Superman said:

just more than a rookie.  I think a Gardner led team would win more games this year but the team will be better in future years with AR starting.

24 minutes ago, Myles said:

just more than a rookie.  I think a Gardner led team would win more games this year but the team will be better in future years with AR starting.

Understood. I just think Gardner is a JAG with a low-ish ceiling himself, like 5-7 wins. If Steichen and Richardson can work together the way I hope they can, then we should still be pushing 5-7 wins, even if Richardson struggles at times.

And if they can't get it going, then maybe we'll have seen enough to know that Richardson isn't the answer, and we need to keep looking at QB. For me, as long as Richardson can run enough of the offense to put together a complete gameplan, and he can function without falling apart or getting physically destroyed by the defense, I think he should be playing. I don't want to rush it, but he's meant to be the future of the franchise, so trying to get a couple extra wins with Minshew doesn't appeal to me.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

Understood. I just think Gardner is a JAG with a low-ish ceiling himself, like 5-7 wins. If Steichen and Richardson can work together the way I hope they can, then we should still be pushing 5-7 wins, even if Richardson struggles at times.

And if they can't get it going, then maybe we'll have seen enough to know that Richardson isn't the answer, and we need to keep looking at QB. For me, as long as Richardson can run enough of the offense to put together a complete gameplan, and he can function without falling apart or getting physically destroyed by the defense, I think he should be playing. I don't want to rush it, but he's meant to be the future of the franchise, so trying to get a couple extra wins with Minshew doesn't appeal to me.

I think I am realizing something I didn’t think of during the draft. His accuracy isn’t as big of a issue for him because of athletic traits. If he was a pocket passer then he would of never of been drafted that  high with that low accuracy.  His win total this season is probably the same or could  be slightly higher  because of those traits. Might end up even being a chance he could have more wins then Minshew would of.

Something else mentioned on a podcast today. Colts are already ahead of where bears were when they drafted fields. They already have the perfect coach for him while bears didn’t and it is still to be determined where fields will end up this year. Colts are probably very close to the bears right now. Colts have some better pieces then the bears also I believe.

This is so impressive to me. Absolute poise in the pocket, perfect hitch up, kept his body under control, feet and eyes synced, and put the ball in the perfect spot. I'm sure it had some heat on it, but this was not a 100mph throw, it was more than catchable. Downs just lost focus and dropped it.

One of the things I noticed when watching his college games is that Richardson tends to bounce when he's moving in the picket, which can change his eye level drastically and affect accuracy. In this situation, as he steps up, he stays in control, and even though he's moving quickly, he's keeping an even base, which keeps his eye level consistent. Then he transfers his weight to his front foot and flips his hips, and puts the ball on a rope to his receiver, at eye level, between two defenders. This is really good QBing from Richardson, and a big league throw. I don't know what more you can ask for.

c7c7e2c5-70db-4dbc-87ff-471e3cf0b84c_tex

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 8/19/2023 at 1:07 PM, Nickster said:

I still see a benefit of opening it up despite the issues.  It was way to much leaning in one political direction which is potential disastrous for both parties and the unaffiliated.

it added to the potentially catastrophic polarization that is happening.

IMO despite the ugliness, it’s better that it is either open and ugly rather than biased and cleaner, and it’s also better if it becomes irrelevant rather than being biased and clean.

The damage of all the polar media is profound and we haven’t begun to see the worst of its affects IMO.

Not a huge Musk fan but I think he’s sacrificing a bunch of his own money and doing the world a favor overall.

I share your profession and have witnessed the horrendous affects of biased leaning social media like Twitter.

you have to open up the wound.  It’s gonna stink and be nasty but at least it won’t rot us from the inside undetected as much.

Outstanding informed response. You are on the money.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

This is so impressive to me. Absolute poise in the pocket, perfect hitch up, kept his body under control, feet and eyes synced, and put the ball in the perfect spot. I'm sure it had some heat on it, but this was not a 100mph throw, it was more than catchable. Downs just lost focus and dropped it.

One of the things I noticed when watching his college games is that Richardson tends to bounce when he's moving in the picket, which can change his eye level drastically and affect accuracy. In this situation, as he steps up, he stays in control, and even though he's moving quickly, he's keeping an even base, which keeps his eye level consistent. Then he transfers his weight to his front foot and flips his hips, and puts the ball on a rope to his receiver, at eye level, between two defenders. This is really good QBing from Richardson, and a big league throw. I don't know what more you can ask for.

The press is ragging on the Colts for starting AR right out of the box. If AR was merely a normal QB, I'd agree with them. He's just a different human being - one who learns best from making mistakes early on. So Anthony, go ahead and get these mistakes out of the way and don't worry about them.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

We need the WRs to start catching some of those.

I love AR's poise and pocket awareness and movement. It's probably not as good as Luck's was, but definitely the best out of any QB we've had since Luck.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

The press is ragging on the Colts for starting AR right out of the box. If AR was merely a normal QB, I'd agree with them. He's just a different human being - one who learns best from making mistakes early on. So Anthony, go ahead and get these mistakes out of the way and don't worry about them.

The press is stupid.

I think every rookie QB is different. It was always my opinion that Richardson should play once the team is satisfied that he can function and protect himself. His timeline has nothing to do with team expectations, you don't start the vet ahead of him because you're trying to win games, etc. They decided pretty quickly that he could handle the responsibility, and now they can gameplan around him. Based on what we saw last night, it's going to be fun.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Superman said:

The press is stupid.

I think every rookie QB is different. It was always my opinion that Richardson should play once the team is satisfied that he can function and protect himself. His timeline has nothing to do with team expectations, you don't start the vet ahead of him because you're trying to win games, etc. They decided pretty quickly that he could handle the responsibility, and now they can gameplan around him. Based on what we saw last night, it's going to be fun.

For the first time in recent memory, Colt's football is actually fun to watch. There are many factors for this. Obviously there's AR, but Steichen's play calling and game strategy is far and away better than (insert any coaches name we've had in the past 20 years).

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Based on limited info, it looks good for you.

But we haven't seen much of anything from Levis so far...

That's fair. But at the same time, I kind of feel like my bet is dependent on Richardson much more than on Levis. If Richardson pans out, I think he has a level that Levis can't touch...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stitches said:

That's fair. But at the same time, I kind of feel like my bet is dependent on Richardson much more than on Levis. If Richardson pans out, I think he has a level that Levis can't touch...

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. Levis has his own technical issues, and I still have questions about his personality.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, stitches said:

Oh damn, I didn't know. What's his injury?

I think a leg or lower body injury. If Willis keeps looking good there is a chance Levis gets dealt. I do think titans made right decision to draft him. It created good competition for Willis. Titans are in a good spot because they can eventually deal Levis or Willis. Or Tannehill is gone soon and Levis or Willis become the starter while the other backs them up.

• Like 2

Hoping Richardson pans out, but unfortunately he appears to be what he showed in college. Decent runner but not much of a passer. Obviously preseason doesn't mean much, and it's too early to tell, but he wasn't a passer in college so not sure he'll pan out more than just a back up change of pace QB for someone. Still, being a major Colts fan, I hoping I am dead wrong and he turns out to be at least a 4 year spark and turns out to be at least a decent QB. Really hoping I'm wrong.

24 minutes ago, Blueblazes said:

Hoping Richardson pans out, but unfortunately he appears to be what he showed in college. Decent runner but not much of a passer. Obviously preseason doesn't mean much, and it's too early to tell, but he wasn't a passer in college so not sure he'll pan out more than just a back up change of pace QB for someone. Still, being a major Colts fan, I hoping I am dead wrong and he turns out to be at least a 4 year spark and turns out to be at least a decent QB. Really hoping I'm wrong.

You do realize in the first half our receivers dropped at least eight passes. That KILLED his stat line and yards. 

Eight dropped passes will look bad on ANY QB. 

• Like 3