Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade for Hopkins? (Merge)

Bbswatching

2 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

To be more clear, GM could've kept mum. 

GM could've said, "I don't think there's any truth to the rumors and we're looking forward to have Diggs in off-season program very soon".

But, No .. GM actually said 

GM basically said Diggs can continue to do those "distractions", and Diggs WILL continue to be like that.

Allen said the same thing.

It's not just polite-speak. It's giving Licence to Diggs to be himself, which for instance Vikings former HC Mike Zimmer and GM Rick Speilman weren't ready to say, which is why Diggs is in Buffalo. 

I have also heard that Diggs was PO at Allen. Rumors of Allen's personal issues surfaced before the game.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Sounds like he’s the tail wagging the dog in Buffalo.  The Bills traded a 1st rd pick for Diggs that’s why he’s in Buffalo.  He was the missing piece for Allen’s passing game.  I would love to see Hopkins go to the Bills just to see the drama unfold between the two divas.  That would be a hoot. Lol

Hopkins is diva because he had a suspension last year? He's always been a good team player in all these years.

Sounds like you don't like players with some edge or any different character than the ideal you've in mind.

3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I have also heard that Diggs was PO at Allen. Rumors of Allen's personal issues surfaced before the game.

Rumors surface all the time and plenty of people in social media spend hours everyday just kicking up some dust.. not sure what Allen's personal issues are, do you mean breaking up with the GF? 

Anyway, I don't think there's any Rift between these players in Buffalo.

I have heard from well placed source that he had a lot of baggage with the Texans. O'Brien took a lot flack for trading him for what he did but that was the main reason. Get him out of town fast

Well placed source but zero info about what baggage Hopkins had in Houston?

Nothing more specific?

This is how dust gets kicked in the internet with zero information or any clue.

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Sounds like he’s the tail wagging the dog in Buffalo.  The Bills traded a 1st rd pick for Diggs that’s why he’s in Buffalo.  

Diggs got traded in the first place because Vikings management couldn't handle the passion he displayed in the field, and they didn't want to hurt Cousins, who is a real diva for someone who would never win a SB and is slightly above average QB. Since they wanted to trade Diggs, Buffalo gave up first round pick. He didn't get traded because Buffalo went after him, as you suggest. If not Buffalo, someone else would've offered a good draft compensation in return.

Both Vikings HC and GM ended up getting fired, and the new staff want to move on from Cousins. Only player among that group who's still focused on winning and is competing in playoffs year after year is Diggs. Lot of Vikings fans were enraged about Diggs then, and fans are now left with only losers at the important position. 

Just because Bills GM and HC understand and are okay with Diggs for the way he is doesn't mean the tail wags the dog in Buffalo.

Wow, for a baseless rumor with zero clue about what kind of player or person Diggs is, you have made a lot of manipulated statements.

22 hours ago, w87r said:

Buffalo could extend Ed Oliver and cut Hines to make an offer.

Would Hines fit back here in Indy with Steichen’s Offense?  I could see that, if both sides were willing.  Steichen’s Offense seems more fitting than Frank’s was, at least.

2 hours ago, jimmy g said:

Would Hines fit back here in Indy with Steichen’s Offense?  I could see that, if both sides were willing.  Steichen’s Offense seems more fitting than Frank’s was, at least.

Potentially, but I don't see it happening. We are pretty deep at RB and drafted Hull to fill that void. Plus looking at potential extension for Taylor, need those other RBs on rookie deals.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/28/some-teams-are-shying-away-from-email-communication-with-deandre-hopkins/

Per a league source, multiple teams have been shying away from sending emails to and from receiver DeAndre Hopkins, given the possibility that they’ll be communicating not with Hopkins but with a non-certified agent who is pretending to be Hopkins. Instead, those teams insist on talking directly to Hopkins — and only Hopkins.

That doesn’t stop him from having someone else listen in, but the repeated warnings by the NFL to teams about talking to non-certified agents have resonated, at least with some teams.

13 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Nothing more specific?

Diggs got traded in the first place because Vikings management couldn't handle the passion he displayed in the field, and they didn't want to hurt Cousins, who is a real diva for someone who would never win a SB and is slightly above average QB. Since they wanted to trade Diggs, Buffalo gave up first round pick. He didn't get traded because Buffalo went after him, as you suggest. If not Buffalo, someone else would've offered a good draft compensation in return.

Both Vikings HC and GM ended up getting fired, and the new staff want to move on from Cousins. Only player among that group who's still focused on winning and is competing in playoffs year after year is Diggs. Lot of Vikings fans were enraged about Diggs then, and fans are now left with only losers at the important position. 

Just because Bills GM and HC understand and are okay with Diggs for the way he is doesn't mean the tail wags the dog in Buffalo.

Wow, for a baseless rumor with zero clue about what kind of player or person Diggs is, you have made a lot of manipulated statements.

Buffalo went after Diggs alright.  They gave up more than the 1st.  They also gave up a 5th and 6th that year and also a 7th in 2021.  The Vikings also gave the Bills a 7th in 2020.  That is a good draft package for Diggs.  Obviously no one offered them a better deal.  

He's a Difference maker, or at least he was last time he had a NFL QB throwing to him. He would really upgrade a ho hum wr group and give AR5 a big time deep threat that would also open up the other receicers. Remember, the team wasn't as bad as the record last season,a nd I think the colts will be improved AND playing in a winnable division. 

Colts should do what it takes to get him....but we know we  doubt it will happen LoL . He'll probably land on a league favoring team like most good FA's do. 

Card fans are now back to reality knowing their team is once again as usual Bottom feeders. haha

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

He's a Difference maker, or at least he was last time he had a NFL QB throwing to him. He would really upgrade a ho hum wr group and give AR5 a big time deep threat that would also open up the other receicers. Remember, the team wasn't as bad as the record last season,a nd I think the colts will be improved AND playing in a winnable division. 

Colts should do what it takes to get him....but we know we  doubt it will happen LoL . He'll probably land on a league favoring team like most good FA's do. 

Card fans are now back to reality knowing their team is once again as usual Bottom feeders. haha

This thread is pointless along with this post.  Hopkins has already shared basically the exact list of teams he’d go to.   Did this before he was even released.  Would take a comical overpay for it to not be to one of the teams he wants to go to.  

On 5/26/2023 at 7:17 PM, Bbswatching said:

Now that Hopkins was cut by Arizona.  Should we be a player for him?  I know he wants to go to a winner.  But could you imagine him with our core?  How much would that help

Richardson?  

The Cardinals hit the jackpot Dumping him, we have no need to intentionally add a problem. 

7 hours ago, Nate! said:

This thread is pointless along with this post.  Hopkins has already shared basically the exact list of teams he’d go to.   Did this before he was even released.  Would take a comical overpay for it to not be to one of the teams he wants to go to.  

Actually all threads are pointless when talking about colts signing/attracting pricey  talented FA's.

On 5/26/2023 at 9:31 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Hopkins is a better version of Michael Pittman Jr.     He’s a great possession receiver.   I don’t know why he was paid the way he was, but I wouldn’t have signed him to that kind of money.   

I want our young receivers to gain experience.   Guys like Pitt, Pierce, Downs, Dulin, Strachan and McKenzie, plus TE’s like Woods, Ogletree, Granson, MAC, and Mallory to get opportunity.    A guy like Hopkins will take away opportunity for all those players.   And for what?   Another win or two?    

The idea is to grow the team long term.  Signing Hopkins takes your eyes off the prize which is development for AR and the young players around him.  

The money the Colts still have is needed for the pieces they will sign in June, July, August and September.   

Hopkins is linked for teams who are in the hunt for a deep playoff run.   Teams that might be one player away.   That’s not the Colts in 2023.    Sorry if that makes me a Debbie Downer.   

I could be wrong but didn't you say once  Pittman is not a #1 wr  BUT will want #1 WR money??....or something along those lines? 

So I think most see Hopkins a #1 WR, a few years ago he was considered one of the best and a game changer while  most see Pittman is good and the colts best but more of a possession receiver. 

13 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I could be wrong but didn't you say once  Pittman is not a #1 wr  BUT will want #1 WR money??....or something along those lines? 

So I think most see Hopkins a #1 WR, a few years ago he was considered one of the best and a game changer while  most see Pittman is good and the colts best but more of a possession receiver. 

Wide receivers age fast.   Hopkins did not have great production in Arizona.   I think he was a #1 receiver once upon a time, but I think those days are behind him.   And I don’t want Hopkins taking opportunity away from all our young receivers. 

I do think Pitt is a low level one or a high level 2.   But I’d be careful about how much he’s paid.   For right now,  I see him as a roughly $18 mill guy.   But he may be looking for more.   I’m not sure I’d go there with Pitt.   I’m willing to play out the season to find out what Steichen thinks of him.   I’d sign him to multiple years now IF he was willing to do a deal on the cheap to get a signing bonus and guaranteed dollars.   But I’d doubt he does that.   I don’t think a deal for 3/45-3/50 gets a deal done, but that’s the most I’d do for now.   

If the Colts don’t sign Pitt and Taylor to extensions in 23 then they have to sign one of them next year so they can use a tag on the other if need be.  I believe you can only tag one player during a year.  

Hope that clarifies.   Follow up if not. 

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Wide receivers age fast.   Hopkins did not have great production in Arizona.   I think he was a #1 receiver once upon a time, but I think those days are behind him.   And I don’t want Hopkins taking opportunity away from all our young receivers. 

I do think Pitt is a low level one or a high level 2.   But I’d be careful about how much he’s paid.   For right now,  I see him as a roughly $18 mill guy.   But he may be looking for more.   I’m not sure I’d go there with Pitt.   I’m willing to play out the season to find out what Steichen thinks of him.   I’d sign him to multiple years now IF he was willing to do a deal on the cheap to get a signing bonus and guaranteed dollars.   But I’d doubt he does that.   I don’t think a deal for 3/45-3/50 gets a deal done, but that’s the most I’d do for now.   

If the Colts don’t sign Pitt and Taylor to extensions in 23 then they have to sign one of them next year so they can use a tag on the other if need be.  I believe you can only tag one player during a year.  

What I'll follow up is I don't think Hopkins & Pittman are similar. One is a pretty good possession receiver and the other can blow the top off a defense, or at least use to in Houston. 

Getting away from a Cards franchise is usually not a bad thing for a player. I'm sure the colts won't sign Hopkins and think he will help his new team. 

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not too keen on Hopkins but Pittmans 99 catches and 925 yds last season was very good considering the lack of QB play. 

33 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

What I'll follow up is I don't think Hopkins & Pittman are similar. One is a pretty good possession receiver and the other can blow the top off a defense, or at least use to in Houston. 

Getting away from a Cards franchise is usually not a bad thing for a player. I'm sure the colts won't sign Hopkins and think he will help his new team. 

I never thought of Hopkins as someone who blew the top off a defense.   Ever.   

But maybe that’s just me?   But even if I’m wrong, I think his best days are behind him.   As the best days of other top WRs eventually are behind them.   And someone else noted he may be facing a suspension for PEDs. 

I think investing in an aging WR to be your top guy which can only come at the expense of your young receivers is not a good sound strategy for this year.   The focus needs to be on the young guys, not the old guys.   I’ll always fight for the Colts to be focused on the young players. 

Im not rooting against Hopkins.   I’ve always liked him.   But I think he’s the right guy at the wrong time.   And I appreciate there will be many who disagree with my view.   I’m ok with that. 

38 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I'm not too keen on Hopkins but Pittmans 99 catches and 925 yds last season was very good considering the lack of QB play. 

I think Pittman was the victim of a whole series of things.   Bad quarterback play,  historically bad OL play play,  a bad running game without a healthy Taylor and a very poor coaching staff.   That explains Pitt’s average per catch dropping an astounding 3 yards per catch.   I think he went from 12.3 to 9.3.   Pitt didn’t get bad overnight.   Everything around him did.   Which I blame on Ballard and Frank and Irsay. 

Im putting my stock in Steichen and his staff to put the pieces back together again.   If they can, I hope this season is the first step back toward respectability.  

34 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think Pittman was the victim of a whole series of things.   Bad quarterback play,  historically bad OL play play,  a bad running game without a healthy Taylor and a very poor coaching staff.   That explains Pitt’s average per catch dropping an astounding 3 yards per catch.   I think he went from 12.3 to 9.3.   Pitt didn’t get bad overnight.   Everything around him did.   Which I blame on Ballard and Frank and Irsay. 

Im putting my stock in Steichen and his staff to put the pieces back together again.   If they can, I hope this season is the first step back toward respectability.  

Trying to keep my Fandom in check but I just have a feeling this team is going to surprise a lot of people. I'm not expecting a play off run but I truly believe this team is not going to be an easy out.  The favorable schedule is also a plus. 

On 5/27/2023 at 5:19 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

I have heard from well placed source that he had a lot of baggage with the Texans. O'Brien took a lot flack for trading him for what he did but that was the main reason. Get him out of town fast

Yep.  O'Brien was smart, and knew a lot of bad character guys that would eventually tear down HOU and lead them to a series of 4-12 records.. 

Hopkins, I believe, was one of those college kids identified as smearing feces all over a hotel room wall during a combine here in Indy.  Later there was a whole-bunch of backpeddling by officials and himself as to deflate the idea that an NFL star could be such a near-thuggishly destructive person.  A bunch of fake stories produced after the fact.  Somehow "proved" that he didn't do it, but yet nobody else was ever arrested....LOL.

He always struck me as one of those mouthy guys who thinks if he isn't getting top dollar its some sort of conspired injustice or something.

On 5/26/2023 at 7:17 PM, Bbswatching said:

Now that Hopkins was cut by Arizona.  Should we be a player for him?  I know he wants to go to a winner.  But could you imagine him with our core?  How much would that help

Richardson?  

Fwiw

Pittman is 30th on PFF top WR list. I hope he has a breakout season.

Q is still their #2 G

Taylor #5 RB

Smith #15 T

15 hours ago, DougDew said:

Yep.  O'Brien was smart, and knew a lot of bad character guys that would eventually tear down HOU and lead them to a series of 4-12 records.. 

Hopkins, I believe, was one of those college kids identified as smearing feces all over a hotel room wall during a combine here in Indy.  Later there was a whole-bunch of backpeddling by officials and himself as to deflate he idea that an NFL star could be such a near-thuggishly destructive person.  A bunch of fake stories produced after the fact.  Somehow "proved" that he didn't do it, but yet nobody else was ever arrested....LOL.

He always struck me as one of those mouthy guys who thinks if he isn't getting top dollar its some sort of conspired injustice or something.

He apparently has an entourage.  Put it this way. Zona held onto Fitzy who was past his prime but a character guy. Thry can't give Hopkins away at 31.

On 5/27/2023 at 6:45 PM, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Nothing more specific?

Lombardi but everyone hates him so I didn't mention his name. He has an entourage. He's 31 and Zona can't give him away. That tells me enuff

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Lombardi but everyone hates him so I didn't mention his name. He has an entourage. He's 31 and Zona can't give him away. That tells me enuff

They can’t give him away mostly due to his contract.    Way, way too expensive.   Now as a free agent he can negotiate with as many teams as he wants.   But he will likely have to bring his price down.   Hopkins reportedly wants a deal similar to OBJ got with Baltimore.  But that deal was done about 5-6 weeks ago.   Money has mostly dried up since then.  

He apparently has an entourage.  Put it this way. Zona held onto Fitzy who was past his prime but a character guy. Thry can't give Hopkins away at 31.

He's not past his prime though, he  achieved more than many receivers last year, AFTER serving 8-week suspension. He's had a stellar career, and I wonder why some think he's past his prime when there are no signs of that yet.

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

They can’t give him away mostly due to his contract.    Way, way too expensive.   Now as a free agent he can negotiate with as many teams as he wants.   But he will likely have to bring his price down.   Hopkins reportedly wants a deal similar to OBJ got with Baltimore.  But that deal was done about 5-6 weeks ago.   Money has mostly dried up since then.  

He actually still hasn't officially been released, still possible he gets traded. League offices have been closed since Friday. Probably be released today though 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/29/deandre-hopkins-has-not-yet-been-officially-released/

His contract isn't actually that bad for traded team.

2023 - $19.45m non guaranteed 

2024 - $14.9m non guaranteed 

https://www.spotrac.com/news/nfl-trade-candidates-1797/

Found old article, all cap sites already had his contract taken off the books 

I think the biggest issue on the trade is the 2 teams that are most connected to him are so low at the moment. He also doesn't have an agent, so that complicates things as well.

5 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

He's not past his prime though, he  achieved more than many receivers last year, AFTER serving 8-week suspension. He's had a stellar career, and I wonder why some think he's past his prime when there are no signs of that yet.

He was suspended for 6 games.

He missed the last 2 games of the year, when team didn't have meaningful games to play.

I agree though, he had a good shortened season, and a good chunk was with Colt McCoy.

Averaged 7 catches and 80yds a game in those 9 games.

119 receptions 1,360 yards over 17 game projection

And none of the games were missed because of injury.

8 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Why would a person have an entourage?  Apparently in order to be "respected" the way he wants, he has to pay people to do it.  LOL.     

O'Brien had to give Hopkins away too, and a few others, IIRC.   O'Brien got criticized for taking less than market value, but he probably got market value for those players because of who they are.  There are a lots of NFL fans that sympathize with Hopkins, so the attitude stuff is never hit very hard because of how many fans it would alienate.    

Apparently, only Zona values Hopkins based on the contract they gave him.  It only takes one team, as they say.  But what is not said is the truth, which is that one outlying buyer doesn't define market value.  They are usually defined as the sucker.  

On 5/27/2023 at 11:31 AM, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I'd need to talk to Diggs' mother if I need to know any more accurate assessment.

LOL - Mom's assessment would always be an objective, accurate assessment.

13 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

"Arizona was reportedly frustrated Hopkins sat out the final two games of the 2022 season despite being healthy at the time. He had been listed out of those games with a knee injury, with coach Kliff Kingsbury saying Hopkins would have been closer to playing in Week 18 had it been meaningful for the team, but the knee was "something that's been nagging him."  I bet that is just the tip of the ice berg and tons more behind the scenes

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

"Arizona was reportedly frustrated Hopkins sat out the final two games of the 2022 season despite being healthy at the time. He had been listed out of those games with a knee injury, with coach Kliff Kingsbury saying Hopkins would have been closer to playing in Week 18 had it been meaningful for the team, but the knee was "something that's been nagging him."  I bet that is just the tip of the ice berg and tons more behind the scenes

Not reading to much in to this.

Seems like a leak, to make it not as obvious they are in full blown tank mode. Releasing a top 10-15 WR isn't a great look, got to make it seem like there is a different reason.

There is a new regime, GM and coach. So only one to be frustrated would be the owner. Seems like a lot of nothing.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/30/cardinals-officially-release-deandre-hopkins/

He has officially been released now though.

On 5/28/2023 at 10:22 AM, richard pallo said:

Buffalo went after Diggs alright.  They gave up more than the 1st.  They also gave up a 5th and 6th that year and also a 7th in 2021.  The Vikings also gave the Bills a 7th in 2020.  That is a good draft package for Diggs.  Obviously no one offered them a better deal.  

The Vikings got a great offer for someone who was drafted in the fifth round and made it known that he wanted to play elsewhere. I'm sure other teams would have traded for him but Buffalo gave the Vikings the best deal. The Vikings used that pick to select Justin Jefferson.

Diggs plays and acts like he wants to win. Let's not make him out to be someone who is getting in trouble with the law. I'd take him back. I'd take Hopkins too.

2 hours ago, w87r said:

Not reading to much in to this.

Seems like a leak, to make it not as obvious they are in full blown tank mode. Releasing a top 10-15 WR isn't a great look, got to make it seem like there is a different reason.

There is a new regime, GM and coach. So only one to be frustrated would be the owner. Seems like a lot of nothing.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/30/cardinals-officially-release-deandre-hopkins/

He has officially been released now though.

There is a reason O'Brien traded him for so little . The market dictates your value. If O'Brien could have gotten more  than a 2nd, he would have. It tells me that the league has a lot of knowledge with  regards to Hopkins and his supposed issues.

On 5/27/2023 at 8:28 PM, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Rumors surface all the time and plenty of people in social media spend hours everyday just kicking up some dust.. not sure what Allen's personal issues are, do you mean breaking up with the GF? 

Anyway, I don't think there's any Rift between these players in Buffalo.

I heard it was he got caught straying and his girlfriend caught him, and all hell let loose.

51 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

A rare Miss by Howie Roseman taking Reagor a pick prior helped too.

Fans here don’t know this, but Roseman has missed three times on high round wide receivers.   

Missing on Reagor is the biggest and worst.   But he also missed on JJ Arceaga Whiteside, a second round pick, and Nelson Agalor,  a first round pick. 

Roseman has clearly done a great job,  but WR is a position he has struggled with drafting. 

Archived