Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade for Hopkins? (Merge)

Bbswatching

1 minute ago, superrep1967 said:

It depends we need check his character first. I mean two teams now have basically dump this guy. I mean Ballard doesn’t like bad character guys. But other than that yes we should pursue him if all is good. 

I don't think he has any character concerns.

Texans weren't the smartest in shipping him out to begin with.

The Cardinals are in rebuild mode and will be playing with a backup for a good chunk of this season. So it makes sense for both parties to move on.

His cap hit was just to big for teams to want to take on while giving up draft compensation as well.

If Hopkins would sign to like a 3yr - $45m-$51m deal, I would entertain it, and then get best trade package for Pittman I could find. Probably looking for bigger AAV on multi year deal than that, might be looking for 1yr prove it deal. He's only 30(bout to be 31 in few days), so he still has some years out in front of him.

He had a pretty good year last year for missing (8) games - (6) from suspension and not an injury.

We would have to free up a little money to make it work and still have some left. Not to hard to accomplish though.

• Like 3

The Titans are trying to clear cap-room as we speak.  Source: Titan Upload Network (per their reliable sources).    They (Titans mgt.) are talking to Derrick Henry and Ryan Tannehill to extend their contracts to free up room to make an offer to DeAndre Hopkins.  Would he be interested in the Titans?  Hard to say.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bbswatching said:

Now that Hopkins was cut by Arizona.  Should we be a player for him?  I know he wants to go to a winner.  But could you imagine him with our core?  How much would that help

Richardson?  

Why would he want to play for a team that will challenge for the top draft pick in 2024?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

He was suspended for 6 games last season for performance enhancing drugs. 

So was Mathis.

Things happen, this wouldn't be a reason I wouldn't bring him in.

As some has mentioned, it's just not the right timing. Whether that be cap space, teams readiness to be a productive passing attack, roster positional depth(5 deep), stunting youth growth, other pending extensions.

Hopkins is only 31(in few days), so he has many productive years left, just a micro chance it is here.

I think he ends up with Bills or Chiefs. Either would be scary for the league 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, w87r said:

So was Mathis.

As some has mentioned, it's just not the right timing. Whether that be cap space, teams readiness to be a productive passing attack, roster positional depth(5 deep), stunting youth growth, other pending extensions.

Hopkins is only 31(in few days), so he has many productive years left, just a micro chance it is here.

Hopkins with Mahomes would be nearly unstoppable 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, w87r said:

So was Mathis.

Those teams would have to open up a bunch of cap space to sign him

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Those teams would have to open up a bunch of cap space to sign him

Yeah, coincidentally those 2 teams have the least cap space available currently.

All Chiefs would need to do is sign Jones to an extension and they could free up the money.

Buffalo could extend Ed Oliver and cut Hines to make an offer.

All depends on Hopkins, would need to take a moderate 1yr deal to sign with these contenders.

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hopkins is a better version of Michael Pittman Jr.     He’s a great possession receiver.   I don’t know why he was paid the way he was, but I wouldn’t have signed him to that kind of money.   

I want our young receivers to gain experience.   Guys like Pitt, Pierce, Downs, Dulin, Strachan and McKenzie, plus TE’s like Woods, Ogletree, Granson, MAC, and Mallory to get opportunity.    A guy like Hopkins will take away opportunity for all those players.   And for what?   Another win or two?    

The idea is to grow the team long term.  Signing Hopkins takes your eyes off the prize which is development for AR and the young players around him.  

The money the Colts still have is needed for the pieces they will sign in June, July, August and September.   

Hopkins is linked for teams who are in the hunt for a deep playoff run.   Teams that might be one player away.   That’s not the Colts in 2023.    Sorry if that makes me a Debbie Downer.   

I agree with your overall point that the Colts are rebuilding and don't need a veteran like Hopkins. He does not fit in the plan to get young players and have them grow together. I agree there  However, I disagree that Hopkins is just a possession receiver.

7 hours ago, w87r said:

I could see him going to the Eagles.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I agree with your overall point that the Colts are rebuilding and don't need a veteran like Hopkins. He does not fit in the plan to get young players and have them grow together. I agree there  However, I disagree that Hopkins is just a possession receiver.

They got $12.6m

So could work the cap, but there isn't enough footballs to go around.

Brown

Smith

Hopkins

Watkins

Goedert

Arnold 

Swift

Penny

Scott

Not to mention their 50.4% run vs 49.6% pass ratio.

Could they make it work? Absolutely, but going to have to be some major sacrifices.

13 hours ago, Bbswatching said:

Now that Hopkins was cut by Arizona.  Should we be a player for him?  I know he wants to go to a winner.  But could you imagine him with our core?  How much would that help

Richardson?  

It would help Richardson a lot but I dont think we can pay him What he might want to come to a rebuilding team when he wants to win. We would have to break the bank. We have to sign Pittman and Taylor, and Hopkins is over 30 and have been injured Alot the last few years. Wrs are just like running backs once they hit 31 they are washed up if you look at the stats very very few still produce after 30-31 elite numbers 

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hopkins is a better version of Michael Pittman Jr.     He’s a great possession receiver.   I don’t know why he was paid the way he was, but I wouldn’t have signed him to that kind of money.   

I want our young receivers to gain experience.   Guys like Pitt, Pierce, Downs, Dulin, Strachan and McKenzie, plus TE’s like Woods, Ogletree, Granson, MAC, and Mallory to get opportunity.    A guy like Hopkins will take away opportunity for all those players.   And for what?   Another win or two?    

The idea is to grow the team long term.  Signing Hopkins takes your eyes off the prize which is development for AR and the young players around him.  

The money the Colts still have is needed for the pieces they will sign in June, July, August and September.   

Hopkins is linked for teams who are in the hunt for a deep playoff run.   Teams that might be one player away.   That’s not the Colts in 2023.    Sorry if that makes me a Debbie Downer.   

I agree. Would rather play our young receivers and spend the money in other areas. Hopkins would have no interest in coming to Indy unless they offered him an absurd amount of money and that doesn't fit Ballards free agent m/o.

3 hours ago, w87r said:

Yeah, coincidentally those 2 teams have the least cap space available currently.

All Chiefs would need to do is sign Jones to an extension and they could free up the money.

Buffalo could extend Ed Oliver and cut Hines to make an offer.

All depends on Hopkins, would need to take a moderate 1yr deal to sign with these contenders.

It will be interesting to see If Buffalo makes a play.   Allens and Diggs relationship is not great according to reports from Buffalo and that’s putting it nicely.  Not sure if Buffalo would risk it further by bringing in another superstar receiver looking for his share of targets.  Hopkins is a big name.  So is Diggs.  He would make it interesting in Buffalo as if it wasn’t already.

• Like 1

No thanks, he is too old and injury prone + his salary is outrageous. I want too stay young and roll with that, resign Taylor and Pittman and call it a day = that will take some major cash. Since Taylor is only 24, I definitely re-sign him to like a 4 year deal. After a RB gets into his late 20's it gets dicey after that though to whether or not how much they have left in the tank.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I think it will either be Buffalo or Philly, that is what I was hearing on CBS radio last night. Hopkins really likes Allen and Hurts.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Allens and Diggs relationship is not great according to reports from Buffalo and that’s putting it nicely.  

I did not know this. I used to defend him a lot among some of my fellow Vikings fans who did not care for him despite how great he was for us. But now, he is getting the reputation of a selfish receiver. He did not get along with Cousins. Now, Allen? SMH. He did have a great relationship with Case Keenum when they were both Vikings. I think Case is in Buffalo now, no?

Anyway, Hopkins would be great there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

I did not know this. I used to defend him a lot among some of my fellow Vikings fans who did not care for him despite how great he was for us. But now, he is getting the reputation of a selfish receiver. He did not get along with Cousins. Now, Allen? SMH. He did have a great relationship with Case Keenum when they were both Vikings. I think Case is in Buffalo now, no?

Not in Buffalo any longer.  Signed with Houston this year.  Two year deal.  Hopkins would be great in Buffalo.  Allen recently broke up with his long time girlfriend too.  Seeing an actress now.  Behind the scenes drama in Buffalo.

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

You're being misled by crap talk on the internet.

I researched a couple of hours after seeing the above post, what happened was Diggs was vocal, showing displeasure towards Allen during the fourth quarter of 10-27 play-off loss to the Bengals, and he stormed out of the locker room after the game. Everything else you hear is what people spread on the internet.

Anyone who has known Diggs well would know that he's the most passionate NFL player on the field, especially when the team is losing and stuck against an opponent, and he'd not think twice before showing his concern directly to whoever he intends to, whether that's his QB or HC. He'd do it to the owner or GM too if they happen to be in sidelines, but they won't be during the games. 

He's done multiple times to Cousins when he was with Vikings, as Cousins gets stuck a lot for no reason from quarter to quarter, and everytime Diggs would be right to do that.

You need your best players to be that passionate about winning, and I'd take that over players who sink their heads even before the game is over. Diggs does notch it up to some unnecessary level, but my personal opinion is that's necessary especially for a losing team during the game.

As for Allen and Diggs, Allen has addressed the concerns. Following from SI article

But Allen laughed it all off while having some love-filled words for Diggs when speaking to the media on Tuesday. Being "the best receiver in the league" - at least in Allen's rankings - maybe warrants at least one emotional moment in the face of frustration.

“Stef’s gonna Stef,” Allen said. “I love the guy. He's one of my favorite people on this planet. He is so fiery, so competitive. He wants the ball in his hands 24/7 and I’m never gonna not like a guy like that. He wants what’s best for the team.”

Following from the same article on what GM Beane thinks about the incidents in playoffs.

I'm an emotional guy too," Beane said. "And if I was losing out there, sometimes I probably think I'd be worse than Steph."

Beane hardly sees Diggs' actions as a distraction since he knows the reason behind it. It's pretty obvious at this point in his career that Diggs wants the Lombari Trophy or nothing.

“You guys have gotten to know him well through his three seasons here and he’s going to wear his emotions on his sleeve,” Beane said. “He’s not going to hide his feelings, and he wants to win. As long as that’s the goal, that it’s about winning and it’s not personal goals, and I know that with him. It’s about winning.”

So that seems to put Diggs' frustration episode in the past. A sideline interaction for the cameras was maybe blown a bit out of proportion

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Allens and Diggs relationship is not great according to reports from Buffalo and that’s putting it nicely.  

Putting it nicely?

That's too much of a strong word for a baseless rumor. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Not in Buffalo any longer.  Signed with Houston this year.  Two year deal.  Hopkins would be great in Buffalo.  Allen recently broke up with his long time girlfriend too.  Seeing an actress now.  Behind the scenes drama in Buffalo.

That's life, and sometimes life is drama. Other than that, I don't see any other exciting happening in Buffalo other than roaring snow melted Niagara. 

So, Diggs was absent from first phase of  OTAs, probably the voluntary part.

And, the internet and media have started connecting that with play-off incident between Allen and Diggs. 

But, Allen and their GM have addressed the questions as I posted above AFTER Diggs has been absent from the OTAs. So I don't think what you posted about Diggs is anywhere close to the truth. 

13 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

That's life, and sometimes life is drama. Other than that, I don't see any other exciting happening in Buffalo other than roaring snow melted Niagara. 

So, Diggs was absent from first phase of  OTAs, probably the voluntary part.

And, the internet and media have started connecting that with play-off incident between Allen and Diggs. 

But, Allen and their GM have addressed the questions as I posted above AFTER Diggs has been absent from the OTAs. So I don't think what you posted about Diggs is anywhere close to the truth. 

I mean, I don't have a dog in the fight, but I wouldn't take what the GM and QB said about him as complete truths 

What are they supposed to say? They don't want to alienate him. His contract is hard to get out of. They could save $1.67m, but be left with $44,301,111 in dead cap

POST-6/1 TRADE

2023 Dead Cap: $13,205,111

2024 Dead Cap: $31,096,000

2023 Cap Savings: $1,670,000

They're just hoping he will show up when it's time. Not else they can do but hope at this point. Saying something negative in the press doesn't help them in the slightest.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

I mean, I don't have a dog in the fight, but I wouldn't take what the GM and QB said about him as complete truths 

What are they supposed to say? They don't want to alienate him. His contract is hard to get out of. They could save $1.67m, but be left with $44,301,111 in dead cap

POST-6/1 TRADE

They're just hoping he will show up when it's time. Not else they can do but hope at this point. Saying something negative in the press doesn't help them in the slightest.

I'd agree that for just about any other player, but what Allen and GM have said is not just polite talk but these quotes are so accurate about Diggs, and I'd need to talk to Diggs' mother if I need to know any more accurate assessment.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, w87r said:

POST-6/1 TRADE

To be more clear, GM could've kept mum. 

GM could've said, "I don't think there's any truth to the rumors and we're looking forward to have Diggs in off-season program very soon".

But, No .. GM actually said 

he’s going to wear his emotions on his sleeve,” Beane said. “He’s not going to hide his feelings, and he wants to win

GM basically said Diggs can continue to do those "distractions", and Diggs WILL continue to be like that.

Allen said the same thing.

It's not just polite-speak. It's giving Licence to Diggs to be himself, which for instance Vikings former HC Mike Zimmer and GM Rick Speilman weren't ready to say, which is why Diggs is in Buffalo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

To be more clear, GM could've kept mum. 

GM could've said, "I don't think there's any truth to the rumors and we're looking forward to have Diggs in off-season program very soon".

But, No .. GM actually said 

GM basically said Diggs can continue to do those "distractions", and Diggs WILL continue to be like that.

Allen said the same thing.

It's not just polite-speak. It's giving Licence to Diggs to be himself, which for instance Vikings former HC Mike Zimmer and GM Rick Speilman weren't ready to say, which is why Diggs is in Buffalo. 

Sounds like he’s the tail wagging the dog in Buffalo.  The Bills traded a 1st rd pick for Diggs that’s why he’s in Buffalo.  He was the missing piece for Allen’s passing game.  I would love to see Hopkins go to the Bills just to see the drama unfold between the two divas.  That would be a hoot. Lol

21 hours ago, Bbswatching said:

Richardson?  

I have heard from well placed source that he had a lot of baggage with the Texans. O'Brien took a lot flack for trading him for what he did but that was the main reason. Get him out of town fast

• Thanks 1