Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts 53 man roster as of now

holeymoley99

QB- Richardson,Minshew,Ehlinger (3)

RB-JT,Moss,Hull,Evans (4)

WR-MPJ,Pierce,Downs,Mckenzie,Dulin (5)

TE-Woods,Granson,Ogletree,Brown (4)

OL-Rainman,Nelson,Smith,Kelly,Fries,Freeland,Ekiyor,Pintor,French (9)

DL-Paye,Stewart,Buckner,Dayo,Ebukum,Johnson,Bryan,Adedaware,Lewis(9)

LB-Leonard,Speed,Franklin,Domann,Stuard,Leo (6)

CB-Brents,Moore,Rodgers,Flowers,Rush,Jones(6)

S-Blackmon,Thomas,Cross,Scott (4)

ST-Sanchez,Gay,Rhodes (3)

Notes-

Expect a vet Guard to be signed putting French's spot in jeopardy

WR-Streichen final cut,just havent seen progress needed and Dulin have st value

TE-Mallory could take Ogletree spot if Og put on IR and injury isnt healed. No room for MAC think he is cut soon. Brown beats out kalinic and Wydnermeyer,deepest position on team

RB-Evans beats out Jackson and Funk

DL-Agim,Cline and Williams come up just short

LB-No room for Olubi or Rhyne

CB-Love Brown's st ability just a numbers game as he cant play D

S-Dabo still too rule and believe his International status protection is up,Denbow a st beast but Scott offers more upsside

5 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Notes-

TE-Mallory could take Ogletree spot if Og put on IR and injury isnt healed. No room for MAC think he is cut soon. Brown beats out kalinic and Wydnermeyer,deepest position on team

S-Dabo still too rule and believe his International status protection is up,Denbow a st beast but Scott offers more upsside

Nice effort. I like it! I can see Strachan and Cox traded for late picks before the season starts instead of just cutting them. I think Mallory makes the team, and I do think Witt will hit the PS, but get claimed. We are almost 100% in agreement here except I have Mallory on the 53 over Brown. I think Ogletree will be healthy. 

5 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Why does everyone spell our second yr LT's name like he sits around counting toothpicks on first glance.....

35 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Nice effort. I like it! I can see Strachan and Cox traded for late picks before the season starts instead of just cutting them. I think Mallory makes the team, and I do think Witt will hit the PS, but get claimed. We are almost 100% in agreement here except I have Mallory on the 53 over Brown. I think Ogletree will be healthy. 

This is exactly where I stand. I like Will Mallory leading up to the draft, and I was hoping we’d target him.

Do you think we’d get anything for Strachan though? That would be nice, but I don’t see anyone giving anything for him at this point.

2 minutes ago, DattMavis said:

This is exactly where I stand. I like Will Mallory leading up to the draft, and I was hoping we’d target him.

Do you think we’d get anything for Strachan though? That would be nice, but I don’t see anyone giving anything for him at this point.

I think we could get a 7th for Strachan because of his size and potential. Another team may have missed out a tall receiver early in a draft full of slot receivers and think Strachan was underutilized in Indy. I think he could make a few teams 53.

28 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

Why does everyone spell our second yr LT's name like he sits around counting toothpicks on first glance.....

Its been a thing since he was drafted////definitely going to protect the qb ...definitely 

57 minutes ago, OnePunchHarbaugh said:

is nick foles no longer on the roster?

He is just dont think he makes the 53....

8 hours ago, Jackie Daytona said:

I, for one, do it on purpose for that very reason.  It’s childish and stupid but makes me laugh. 

15 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

Notes-

Good early guess. Mallory could beat out Granson.  

It’s going to be tough to knock Brown off the roster, they have to be better on STs first.  

Agree about a FA o lineman, at least I hope so.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Good early guess. Mallory could beat out Granson.  

It’s going to be tough to knock Brown off the roster, they have to be better on STs first.  

Agree about a FA o lineman, at least I hope so.

One of MAC or Granson will have to be on the roster. I just can't see them having a TE room that consists of a 2nd year Jelani Woods (who is still raw) and two TEs who have not played in the NFL yet (Ogletree and Mallory).

That said, I am interested to see what happens with Granson. The H-back loving HC that wanted him is now in CAR, so I wonder if he is much of a fit for what Steichen will want to do. 

I have a very different view on this TE room than other Colts fans. Would have loved to grab one early this year, in what was one of the deepest classes in a long time.

13 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

One of MAC or Granson will have to be on the roster. I just can't see them having a TE room that consists of a 2nd year Jelani Woods (who is still raw) and two TEs who have not played in the NFL yet (Ogletree and Mallory).

That said, I am interested to see what happens with Granson. The H-back loving HC that wanted him is now in CAR, so I wonder if he is much of a fit for what Steichen will want to do. 

I have a very different view on this TE room than other Colts fans. Would have loved to grab one early this year, in what was one of the deepest classes in a long time.

I do think we keep the best blocking TE.  It's what we counted on with MAC, but he regressed last season.  Woods said he knows he has to get better.

I look at Mallory and Granson as the same type of TE (is that the F TE?).  Woods and Ogletree have similar builds.  

As far as not having a real veteran TE, think 2012.  Fleener and Allen were the starters.  And Brown has experience.

11 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I do think we keep the best blocking TE.  It's what we counted on with MAC, but he regressed last season.  Woods said he knows he has to get better.

I look at Mallory and Granson as the same type of TE (is that the F TE?).  Woods and Ogletree have similar builds.  

As far as not having a real veteran TE, think 2012.  Fleener and Allen were the starters.  And Brown has experience.

That's true about 2012. But Allen was a John Mackey award winner and Fleener was an early R2 pick, who played with Luck at Stanford.

I would say that's a bit different than Woods (who is still developing as a blocker) and a Day 3 TE who hasn't played an NFL snap (Ogletree and Mallory) being TE1 and TE2. 

I suppose Brown could be the TE2 though.

If they had drafted someone like Mayer, then I think him and Woods could absolutely be starters. But they are going to keep one of MAC or Granson as that vet TE.

18 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

That's true about 2012. But Allen was a John Mackey award winner and Fleener was an early R2 pick, who played with Luck at Stanford.

I would say that's a bit different than Woods (who is still developing as a blocker) and a Day 3 TE who hasn't played an NFL snap (Ogletree and Mallory) being TE1 and TE2. 

I suppose Brown could be the TE2 though.

If they had drafted someone like Mayer, then I think him and Woods could absolutely be starters. But they are going to keep one of MAC or Granson as that vet TE.

It's going to be one of the more interesting position battles come training camp, that's for sure.  Competition is always great.  (Ballard should remember that after last years fiasco with Pinter and Pryor, who had no real competition and were handed the jobs)

May the best TEs win!

19 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I can see Ballard trading a few players at cut down day for late round picks.

Maybe we can cheat Reich into taking some of his guys on offensive but outside that I’m not convinced we can get anything for them. Even a 7th pick would be welcome!

53 minutes ago, Superman said:

Is there any news on Rigo Sanchez? What's his timeline?

I don't know but in the fog of the draft, what was missed is that we got one of the highest ranked punters in the draft as UDFA. It's definitely worth monitoring. 

33 minutes ago, stitches said:

I don't know but in the fog of the draft, what was missed is that we got one of the highest ranked punters in the draft as UDFA. It's definitely worth monitoring. 

Nice. I haven't looked at the UDFA group at all.

7 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I don't see the point carrying three QBs. Ehlinger should just go to the PS

I think it should be Foles that should be given the boot. Ehlinger and AR can run a similar offense while Foles offers nothing more than Ehlinger on the pocket passing aspect at this stage in his career and absolutely zero on the mobility side.

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I think it should be Foles that should be given the boot. Ehlinger and AR can run a similar offense while Foles offers nothing more than Ehlinger on the pocket passing aspect at this stage in his career and absolutely zero on the mobility side.

Foles isn't making the team. He'll be gone by training camp imo

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Foles isn't making the team. He'll be gone by training camp imo

I bet Sam E is not dressed for most games with Minshew backing up, unless one of Minshew or AR is dealing with any injury. But he will be on the 53, that is how I see it playing out. I don't think they want to get caught with their pants down like the 49ers in the playoff game. I know it is a rarity but it can happen. Most teams nowadays keep 3 QBs on the active roster.

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I bet Sam E is not dressed for most games with Minshew backing up, unless one of Minshew or AR is dealing with any injury. But he will be on the 53, that is how I see it playing out. I don't think they want to get caught with their pants down like the 49ers in the playoff game. I know it is a rarity but it can happen. Most teams nowadays keep 3 QBs on the active roster.

I honestly don't think any team wants Sam. I think he'll be safe on the PS and if not no big loss imo

8 hours ago, Superman said:

Nice. I haven't looked at the UDFA group at all.

Our UDFA class does not seem super impressive(at least when I'm looking at the rankings of the players), but we got the best(highest ranked) remaining interior lineman - Emil Ekiyor from Alabama(he's an Indy kid, so maybe that helped getting him) and we got a top 5 ranked punter(no.5 in Burgler's ranking, no. 4 in Zierlein's) in the draft. By the scouting report he seems to be similar to Rigoberto - directional/precision punter rather than power punter. 

57 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

Mis-spelled by spell-check? Makes me suspicious of AI.

I read that the main reason Ballard didn’t draft Levis is because he was tired of having to fix the autocorrect of “Levi’s” every time he typed it.

I know that story is true, I read it on the inner net 

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

I read that the main reason Ballard didn’t draft Levis is because he was tired of having to fix the autocorrect of “Levi’s” every time he typed it.

I know that story is true, I read it on the inner net 

I'm even more suspicious of things I read on the Internet than I am of things told to me by AI (like ChatGPT). The reason Geoff Hinton quit Google (BARD) is because he knows that these generative forms of AI are called ChatMSU (politely, makes stuff up because of bad pre-training).  Kinda reminds me of some in this fan base ...

On 4/30/2023 at 5:31 PM, holeymoley99 said:

Notes-

MAC is still on the team to my knowledge, unless this is your early 53 man projection.

On 5/1/2023 at 10:35 AM, Smonroe said:

I think we brought Pharaoh Brown in for his blocking skill set.

18 minutes ago, sb41champs said:

Trying to figure out the 53 roster spots - at this point - is a moot point.

WWWAAAYYY too much time between now and September for seismic shifts at many of the positions.

Definition of Moot Point = "A debatable question, an issue open to argument; also, an irrelevant question, a matter of no importance. 

Which is exactly what we do here.  So this is a fine time to discuss it.

3 hours ago, sb41champs said:

Trying to figure out the 53 roster spots - at this point - is a moot point.

WWWAAAYYY too much time between now and September for seismic shifts at many of the positions.

This community does thus exercise every year.   It happens within days from the end of the draft.   It’s simply for fun, nothing more.    I wouldn’t read too much into these.    

They also serve a purpose for those who don’t follow the team as close as others.   It helps everyone become more aware of where the team might still want to make another move during the off-season. 

The TE battle will be the one to monitor. I also agree that MAC might be a cap casualty. You’ve got guys who are younger and have upside. Might as well roll with them.

also agree on Strachan. Think he’ll get cut in camp. Probably will end up on the PS though.

Archived