Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rodgers heading to the Jets...finally

NFLfan

Netting out all of the garbage swaps, I see the trade as GB getting a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year that will probably become a 1st (AR has to play 65% of the snaps?).  

A legitimate shot at a SB costs a 1st round pick.  Seems reasonable.

1 hour ago, RunTheBall said:

Packers kinda got hosed.  A pick swap, then a non guaranteed future #1.  Yuck.

I disagree, especially since that escalator to move up to 1 is pretty easily attainable. To me the only way that trade is worth it to the Jets is a super bowl next year or 2-3 years of afc championship. 

10 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Jets gave up a lot. I'm interested to see what happens with the Jets and with the Packers this coming season and later.

it's a reasonable deal than what I expected... it would be if Rodgers give Jets at least one year of high quality football. For an organization that have been starving for a franchise QB, that would be a blessing for the fans. 

Jets have good defense, excellent receivers, and have drafted well recently except for the injuries that marred the high draft picks they spent on the OL. Now, they can focus on draft to get the pass protection and a TE on the offense and few more good players on defense, it will be upto Rodgers to make them look better than Dolphins and Patriots. 

I'm excited to see the battle of Rodgers vs Belichick, Rodgers vs Allen, Rodgers vs Tua and in general Rodgers vs AFC QBs. 

Looking at Jets schedule, they will play this season against AFC West (Mahomes, Herbert, Wilson) and NFC East and against Watson as well. 

4 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

really? I'm replying with the thought that it was not sarcasm :D It has been already done deal, only part I didn't understand was what dragged this trade this long all this off-season! 

It was sarcasm but I could not find the sarc emoji.

The Jets paid appropriately, considering what the Broncos shelled out for Russell Wilson.

The first round pick swap was a classic trade negotiation, IMO. Because of that, the Packers didn't run away with the trade and it was fair, IMO.

26 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Good luck to him. New York is much different than Wisconsin. There is only one acceptable outcome for Jets fans this season: a Super Bowl ring. Right or wrong, anything else will be considered a failure. 

The AFC is loaded. Eagles, Cowboys, 49ers, and all NFC teams are rejoicing. :)  Of course, The Detroit Lions can move to the top of the NFC North by virtue of this trade, IMO.

27 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The AFC is loaded. Eagles, Cowboys, 49ers, and all NFC teams are rejoicing. :)  Of course, The Detroit Lions can move to the top of the NFC North by virtue of this trade, IMO.

It's now or never for Detroit. They've got to jump on this opportunity and kick the doors down in September. 

Well - the saga is over!!

Congratulations to Aaron Rodgers and the New York Jets - who may now be the favorites to win the AFC East.

Condolences to the Packers faithful.  The front office better be right on Jordan Love - or - they may be ridden out of town tarred and feathered.

On 4/25/2023 at 10:19 AM, RollerColt said:

Good luck to him. New York is much different than Wisconsin. There is only one acceptable outcome for Jets fans this season: a Super Bowl ring. Right or wrong, anything else will be considered a failure. 

I'm not so sure about that. They may say or even think that but they've been a dumpster fire so long I think a playoff spot and a post season win would please them. Rogers is a all-time great but not a miracle worker, and he's 40 years old now, not in his prime. 

On 4/25/2023 at 8:06 PM, chad72 said:

Lions will find new ways to disappoint you :jump: and they've already started on Draft day. 

So would Vikings, Bears, Jets and now Packers... haha

On 4/25/2023 at 7:19 AM, RollerColt said:

Failure?    Win the Super Bowl THIS YEAR or the season is a failure?   Really?

I confess I didn’t see that coming….

49 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Failure?    Win the Super Bowl THIS YEAR or the season is a failure?   Really?

I confess I didn’t see that coming….

I would say that's mostly accurate yes. Considering the compensation that the Jets gave up, and Rodgers age, they have to win a SB in Rodgers tenure with them or it's a failure. They have already gotten burned with the trade-down part from 13 to 15 in this years draft by missing out on Broderick Jones and having to reach for Will McDonald. Pressure is on IMO.

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I would say that's mostly accurate yes. Considering the compensation that the Jets gave up, and Rodgers age, they have to win a SB in Rodgers tenure with them or it's a failure. They have already gotten burned with the trade-down part from 13 to 15 in this years draft by missing out on Broderick Jones and having to reach for Will McDonald. Pressure is on IMO.

The pressure is on internally,  but the poster I was responding to specifically said  he was referring to pressure from the fans.   Personally, as a fan I’d never view a season,  ANY SEASON, as a failure if my team didn’t win the Super Bowl.   I think that’s a bad way, an unhealthy way, to live your life.  

I’m sure some here will disagree… 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The pressure is on internally,  but the poster I was responding to specifically said  he was referring to pressure from the fans.   Personally, as a fan I’d never view a season,  ANY SEASON, as a failure if my team didn’t win the Super Bowl.   I think that’s a bad way, an unhealthy way, to live your life.  

I’m sure some here will disagree… 

Ok. From a fans perspective I agree. At least a casual fans perspective. They have the longest streak in sports of not making the playoffs if I remember right, so as long as they make the playoffs next year, I think a lot of the fanbase will be happy. The hardcores from NY will notice the price that Rodgers cost (draft-wise) and expect more as they are smart fans, but casual fans will be happy with a playoff appearance, and a chance at making the SB once the playoffs start. They will probably not notice the fact that they will probably lose a 1st rounder in 2024 when Rodgers plays above 65% of offensive snaps until the draft is close, and they will convince themselves still that the playoff appearance was worth it as a casual fan of the Jets probably doesn't value a 1st round pick as much as a name QB like Aaron Rodgers after years of poor QB play.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Ok. From a fans perspective I agree. At least a casual fans perspective. They have the longest streak in sports of not making the playoffs if I remember right, so as long as they make the playoffs next year, I think a lot of the fanbase will be happy. The hardcores from NY will notice the price that Rodgers cost (draft-wise) and expect more as they are smart fans, but casual fans will be happy with a playoff appearance, and a chance at making the SB once the playoffs start. They will probably not notice the fact that they will probably lose a 1st rounder in 2024 when Rodgers plays above 65% of offensive snaps until the draft is close, and they will convince themselves still that the playoff appearance was worth it as a casual fan of the Jets probably doesn't value a 1st round pick as much as a name QB like Aaron Rodgers after years of poor QB play.

Honestly, I was surprised the Jets gave up as much as they did.   I don’t think I wouldn’t have offered as much.   But my vote doesn’t count.   I expect Rodgers will do well.   But in the incredibly jammed packed AFC,  I’m not sure I see the Happy Ending Finish the Jets franchise and fans want so much.  

5 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Realistic fans know this trade is just a gamble. They've been at the receiving end of Brady for decades and now Allen, and they couldn't draft a franchise QB after few tries, so it's the best chance to get a proven QB, however aged and declining. 

They've a young head coach who has got the defense drafted and doing well enough. They've got a young OC who has worked a lot with Rodgers and setting up an offense quickly should be possible. They've got very good WRs and RBs to run the offense and gel with Rodgers sooner. 

In theory, it has all come together and as for the cost, it is what it takes. If you are gonna get a future HOF QB even at the tail end of his career, you got to spend a first round pick and this year's swap is fair being in the same range. 

As for Rodgers being able to perform at his best and being able to compete with the best of AFC, it's up in the air. It's all about trying their best to get closer to SB. 

They'll miss out on next year's QB draft class, which is the biggest downside due to the trade. If Rodgers plays for 2 years, they'd get a chance to draft QB after next draft, and it will be a new era after Rodgers' retirement. 

2 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Realistic fans know this trade is just a gamble. They've been at the receiving end of Brady for decades and now Allen, and they couldn't draft a franchise QB after few tries, so it's the best chance to get a proven QB, however aged and declining. 

They've a young head coach who has got the defense drafted and doing well enough. They've got a young OC who has worked a lot with Rodgers and setting up an offense quickly should be possible. They've got very good WRs and RBs to run the offense and gel with Rodgers sooner. 

In theory, it has all come together and as for the cost, it is what it takes. If you are gonna get a future HOF QB even at the tail end of his career, you got to spend a first round pick and this year's swap is fair being in the same range. 

As for Rodgers being able to perform at his best and being able to compete with the best of AFC, it's up in the air. It's all about trying their best to get closer to SB. 

They'll miss out on next year's QB draft class, which is the biggest downside due to the trade. If Rodgers plays for 2 years, they'd get a chance to draft QB after next draft, and it will be a new era after Rodgers' retirement. 

Actually a 2nd rounder this year, a pick swap this year from 13 to 15, and a 2nd next year that turns into a 1st if Rodgers plays 65% of the offensive snaps. 

It's a gamble, and I respect risks, but this one is extreme IMO. They could have gotten Levis, or been in the running for a QB next year after giving Zach Wilson one final year to try and succeed. I realize they may not have known about Levis falling, but a GM knows more than you or I, so when people say they know more than the average fan to give them credit, you also have to say they know more than the average fan to give them blame in a case like this.

However, I think Woody Johnson orchestrated this trade for the most part, and it'll be interesting how well the Packers do this year, and how long Rodgers plays for them.

8 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Alright it was a bad take and a post. I’ll own up to it. 

Hey, I wasn’t trying to beat you down.   Honestly.   I think there are probably plenty of people who agree with you.   I was just sharing my perspective.   My views are often in the minority. 

This will be interesting to see how he does in NY. The Jets haven't any excitement since Broadway Joe in 1968, smooching on the ladies and guaranteeing wins, winning SB 3. As you guys know I have Aaron Rodgers ranked 7th all-time on my QB's list. Only 1-Brady, 2-Montana, 3-Peyton, 4-Unitas, 5-Elway, and 6-Mahomes have been better IMO = (by my eye test and other measurables like stats, games won, Rings won as a starter, MVP's, etc.). At 39 years old going on 40, I don't expect Rodgers to get that 2nd Ring as a starter which is huge legacy wise, but he gives them a fun punchers chance. Mahomes, Burrow, and Allen are better at this point in their career's and play in the same conference. 

I think jet fans would be thrilled to just be in contention of the third wild card spot going into the last week considering all the losing and dysfunction for so long. haha

But seriously, a playoff spot, preferably a division title which brings a home playoff game would be great for their fan base. A playoff win and advancing to the Division round would really make them happy!

I'm hoping Rogers does well this season and will be following them and probably going to Miami when they play the Dolphins(I seen him last season). 

12 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I think jet fans would be thrilled to just be in contention of the third wild card spot going into the last week considering all the losing and dysfunction for so long. haha

But seriously, a playoff spot, preferably a division title which brings a home playoff game would be great for their fan base. A playoff win and advancing to the Division round would really make them happy!

I'm hoping Rogers does well this season and will be following them and probably going to Miami when they play the Dolphins(I seen him last season). 

I think the Jets will make a WildCard, then from there who knows? Get in and anything can happen.

On 5/4/2023 at 12:44 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Hey, I wasn’t trying to beat you down.   Honestly.   I think there are probably plenty of people who agree with you.   I was just sharing my perspective.   My views are often in the minority. 

Well - maybe the expectations will be really high, and not at least making the SB or AFC Championship game will be viewed as a major disappointment.

I will living in Wichita, KS, when the Chiefs picked up an aging Joe Montana.  Since Joe was my favorite player I was pretty excited.  And although the Chiefs were competitive there was an expectation for more so many people were disappointed.  I certainly wouldn't consider it a failure, but somewhat disappointing.

Archived