Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ravens use Nonexclusive franchise tag on Lamar Jackson

12 minutes ago, coltsfan40 said:

What are everyone's thoughts to 4th pick this year n 1 next year for Lamar? 

Nope. Wants a huge contract. Strike one. He has  injury history the last  2 years. Strike two. I truly   believe he took himself out of the play offs when he could have played. Strike three.

1 hour ago, coltsfan40 said:

The article says "Baltimore has the right to match the offer to keep him or take two first-round picks as compensation."

So he is his own agent so he doesn't need to worry about the agent taking a huge chunk.  And he still wants a "Watson" type fully guaranteed contract.  Seems like his head isn't quite where it should be in my opinion.  That behavior/attitude sends up a red flag for me.

And Baltimore only used the nonexclusive tag so they pay less this coming season and can demand pretty good compensation in the 2 first round picks if he gets another offer.

All of this just seems to say stay away from Lamar.  Will be interesting to see what happens in Baltimore if he stays.

I think Tennessee should actually take a look. They're on the outside cusp of draft position to draft a top qb and likely will be in the same position next year given the state of the division. May be worth it for them to make that move. 

3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Nope. Wants a huge contract. Strike one. He has  injury history the last  2 years. Strike two. I truly   believe he took himself out of the play offs when he could have played. Strike three.

He wasn’t cleared to play. He wanted to play but RG3 advised him not to because of his career changing injury

5 hours ago, coltsfanej said:

I do not want him but I think this was a smart move by Ravens. I would be scared to invest in him long term. 

Now there's a top level gm for u. We r about to see if Ballard has learnt anything. I wanted him gone with Reich and have been very hard on him. However,  I am   able to start the journey again and hit  the  reset button  but this draft will define him. New coach and they need a franchise guy. I just hope to hell he doesn't over pay. Sit at 4 and just let it play out.

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Now there's a top level gm for u. We r about to see if Ballard has learnt anything. I wanted him gone with Reich and have been very hard on him. However,  I am   able to start the journey again and hit  the  reset button  but this draft will define him. New coach and they need a franchise guy. I just hope to hell he doesn't over pay. Sit at 4 and just let it play out.

You want to assume he has learned..... And have watched his career as a GM.....  And are worried about him OVERPAYING in any way, for any thing? Lol.

11 hours ago, Jackie Daytona said:

You want to assume he has learned..... And have watched his career as a GM.....  And are worried about him OVERPAYING in any way, for any thing? Lol.

To be fair, Ballard did overpay for Leonard, Smith and Nelson. 

12 hours ago, Jackie Daytona said:

Wentz??? No one  else was  bidding for him.

55 minutes ago, El Potro said:

Oh and yu can throw in Brissett when he reworked his contract and Hines. 

20 hours ago, coltsfan40 said:

Simply put, No. 

This narrative that he wants a better contract than an ill advised contract that the Browns signed is something I hope the other owners say no to. 

15 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Wentz??? No one  else was  bidding for him.

Oh and yu can throw in Brissett when he reworked his contract and Hines. 

So what about the players that are under paid? You can't count them because it puts a dent in your narrative. 

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

So what about the players that are under paid? You can't count them because it puts a dent in your narrative. 

I am not dumping on  Ballard. He has over paid for   the key players on this team and   some good  contracts. Thr problem is those contracts he has over paid on are Smith, Nelson and Leonard that r not elite positions. As I said in previous post. I am willing to rest with  Ballard. This  is a crucial draft to se if he has learned. Now if he gives up a  kings ransom to move   up and get a qb, I am out

16 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I am not dumping on  Ballard. He has over paid for   the key players on this team and   some good  contracts. Thr problem is those contracts he has over paid on are Smith, Nelson and Leonard that r not elite positions. As I said in previous post. I am willing to rest with  Ballard. This  is a crucial draft to se if he has learned. Now if he gives up a  kings ransom to move   up and get a qb, I am out

If Ballard has learned? So you are a teacher in the profession of NFL general managers school? haha

18 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If Ballard has learned? So you are a teacher in the profession of NFL general managers school? haha

Was I wrong about giving Leonard and Nelson big contracts.? I said  I wouldn't have and would have traded them and I am on  record saying that. Just think what we could have done with  those assets and money????

9 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Was I wrong about giving Leonard and Nelson big contracts.? I said  I wouldn't have and would have traded them and I am on  record saying that. Just think what we could have done with  those assets and money????

Sorry Ballards crystal ball didn't cover those 2 players getting injured. 

9 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Sorry Ballards crystal ball didn't cover those 2 players getting injured. 

It  wasn't about  injuries  it was about the positions they played and in Nelson's situation, he way over played his hand and signed  him  before he had to.

10 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

It  wasn't about  injuries  it was about the positions they played and in Nelson's situation, he way over played his hand and signed  him  before he had to.

Nelson earned the contract by being the best player at his position. 

Leonard earned his contract by his play as well. 

Injuries happen in the NFL and for you to overlook that is a you problem, not a Ballard problem. 

5 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

How many current NFL players have been all pro as many times as Nelson?

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

How  many guards are being paid 20 mill a year when in fact they should be  paid about 4 million based on their current play????

4 million?  This is where you lose credibility.   There are 28 guards that make more than 4 million.   Q had an off year last year and was still better than most.   He was obviously injured.   I guarantee he will dominate again next year

5 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

You are also on record saying they have no trade value.   Which is it?

On 3/8/2023 at 7:02 PM, richard pallo said:

Jason LaCanfora today tweeted results from a survey he did with NFL executives, GM’s and agents on which teams should/could sign Lamar to an offer sheet.  The Colts were one of ten teams on the list.  Who would have thought that.

Lol.  As u may all know I listen to GM shuffle alot and Lombardi stated its lying season  and teams are interested contrary to what they are saying publicly. 

On 3/8/2023 at 6:06 PM, jvan1973 said:

4 million?  This is where you lose credibility.   There are 28 guards that make more than 4 million.   Q had an off year last year and was still better than most.   He was obviously injured.   I guarantee he will dominate again next year

Last year was not his only down   year. The year before he was  voted 2nd team all pro and he  didn't deserve it. He got it based on his name. His pass blocking had regressed so I disagree and his decline has been 2 years in the making which  is why  Ballard should have let him play out this last year. This year is huge for Nelson. Will he get back to his old form? 

25 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Last year was not his only down   year. The year before he was  voted 2nd team all pro and he  didn't deserve it. He got it based on his name. His pass blocking had regressed so I disagree and his decline has been 2 years in the making which  is why  Ballard should have let him play out this last year. This year is huge for Nelson. Will he get back to his old form? 

You have under valued what a guard should be paid. For some reason you are stuck in the past as far as how linemen are paid in today's game. The pay for offensive linemen has been steadily going up. You think a player deserves less money if he gets injured.  Sad way to look at it.

On 3/8/2023 at 8:17 AM, El Potro said:

Did he overlay for Smith? I think Leonard, given his injuries, was an overpaying situation. Nelson, for sure we overpaid. He hasn’t been the same these last few years.

Ravens want him to negotiate with other teams so he can see his value and what he can get, if he accepts another teams offer the ravens can match it. Or what I think is going on is, since Lamar isn’t negotiating with an Agent he has been stubborn and won’t budge in negotiations, so the ravens are trying to show him no one will take that deal. 

1 hour ago, Zoltan said:

Ravens want him to negotiate with other teams so he can see his value and what he can get, if he accepts another teams offer the ravens can match it. Or what I think is going on is, since Lamar isn’t negotiating with an Agent he has been stubborn and won’t budge in negotiations, so the ravens are trying to show him no one will take that deal. 

If he is offered a deal the Ravens don't care to match, take the two #1s and move on. 

On 3/11/2023 at 3:42 PM, Los1sol said:

Did he overlay for Smith? I think Leonard, given his injuries, was an overpaying situation. Nelson, for sure we overpaid. He hasn’t been the same these last few years.

I feel the opposite in regards to the linemen. Nelson is a generational talent and other than last year he's been solid to great. Smith is good, just not on the same level as Nelson. If we had a lefty QB and Smith was the blindside protector, his contract would be understandable. But considering that's not the case, it seems inflated. Smith still has plenty of upside though and I get that tackles are more valuable than guards. Just my opinion. 

I DON'T want Lamar based on his drama thinking he needs to be highest paid QB. He is not the best in the NFL and his injures are a no thank you.  A team can make an offer with Lamar and him agree to that. You tell the Ravens that you have agreed to a deal but they have to sign Lamar and trade him and negotiate the compensation , it doesn't have to be 2 firsts . If Lamar truely wants out of Baltimore then this can happen. I don't see Lamar holding out though but maybe he does. I think this could be both Lamar wanting out and asking for too much.

On 3/7/2023 at 5:59 PM, ColtV said:

I think Tennessee should actually take a look. They're on the outside cusp of draft position to draft a top qb and likely will be in the same position next year given the state of the division. May be worth it for them to make that move. 

Yeah, if the Titans make that move,  they could make it contingent upon the Ravens receiving Tannehill. But yeah, the Titans' with their D (Tart, Simmons, Autry back, Landry will be back though Dupree is gone but they signed Arden Key to keep the DL rolling) and Lamar Jackson operating with Henry would be downright dangerous for the AFC, IMO.

Archived