Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Staying at 4th pick

AustexColt

Ballard spoke at the combine, as no QB really stood out. I think the Colts will settle on whoever is there at the 4th pick in the following order: Bryce, Stroud, Willis

There is a positive spin for each of them to make the Colt fanbase happy and hopeful. There is too much to lose to move up. What is going to be interesting is the FA market. Jax and Titans are releasing to get under the cap, so this is a good opportunity for Ballard to upgrade. That is what Ballard meant when he said that there will be "competition". The guys I want to extend an alert is Kenny Moore/Facyson and Ryan Kelly. Our TEs better learn to improve their blocking skills.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

Ballard spoke at the ombine, as no QB really stood out. I think the Colts will settle on whoever is there at the 4th pick in the following order: Bryce, Stroud, Willis

There is a positive spin for each of them to make the Colt fanbase happy and hopeful. There is too much to lose to move up. What is going to be interesting is the FA market. Jax and Titans are releasing to get under the cap, so this is a good opportunity for Ballard to upgrade. That is what Ballard meant when he said that there will be "competition". The guys I want to extend an alert is Kenny Moore/Facyson and Ryan Kelly. Our TEs better learn to improve their blocking skills.

Willis?    The kid from last year?

There’s Young, Stroud, Levis, Richardson. 

4 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

I know some are saying; go get “the guy” at 1 but I agree that it’s too much to give up, when I think that you could lose out on another pass rusher, blocking TE, CB or starting/backup Olineman. 

No one will care what we give up if we start winning and win a SB. You think chiefs Carr what they have up for mahomes or bills with Allen? You fill draft picks lost with FA.

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

No one will care what we give up if we start winning and win a SB. You think chiefs Carr what they have up for mahomes or bills with Allen?

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

No one will care what we give up if we start winning and win a SB. You think chiefs Carr what they have up for mahomes or bills with Allen?

Thanks for making my point:

Trubisky was drafted before Mahomes 

Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold before Allen

I think we all agree you have to get it right. I just don’t think you have to give away so much, if there is no one that stands out.

32 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

So you feel Richardson will be taken either #1 overall or 2nd overall? I mean it could happen, but also not happen. As of right now I think we'll have either Levis or Richardson available to take by 4. 

I think fans and the media are overreacting to Richardson’s athleticism which the combine was designed to show off.  I think GMs still want to answers to the other questions about Richardson as a QB.  They knew he was a great athlete going in.  That’s never been a question.  I think most teams will grade Richardson out as the fourth QB of the top four because of those other questions.  

I think the question becomes will a team grade Richadson high enough that they will be fine with getting him as the fourth QB rather than trading up to get one of the top three.  

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think fans and the media are overreacting to Richardson’s athleticism which the combine was designed to show off.  I think GMs still want to answers to the other questions about Richardson as a QB.  They knew he was a great athlete going in.  That’s never been a question.  I think most teams will grade Richardson out as the fourth QB of the top four because of those other questions.  

I think the question becomes will a team grade Richadson high enough that they will be fine with getting him as the fourth QB rather than trading up to get one of the top three.  

I'll get destroyed by this opinion, but I think Richardson is very Tim Tebow-like. A freak athlete, but maybe not a good thrower.

He does have one hell of a deep throw though. 

4 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I'll get destroyed by this opinion, but I think Richardson is very Tim Tebow-like. A freak athlete, but maybe not a good thrower.

I think he has the athleticism that gets GMs fired

26 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Thanks for making my point:

Trubisky was drafted before Mahomes 

Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold before Allen

I think we all agree you have to get it right. I just don’t think you have to give away so much, if there is no one that stands out.

The circumstances the quarterbacks are surrounded with is so important. Mahomes would of been the first pick if scouts had got it right. 

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

You have a crystal ball. Bet you said same thing about mahomes. Every rookie QB is a project.

Not quite. The writing was on the wall about Smith’s replacement, and Reid wanted a mobile QB. Chicago made the blunder thinking Trubisky was the correct pick after one season. Is every rookie QB REALLY a project though? Were we calling Elway/Luck/Manning a project? Levis is NOT the answer, and neither is Richardson. 

Just now, Indyfan4life said:

Not quite. The writing was on the wall about Smith’s replacement, and Reid wanted a mobile QB. Chicago made the blunder thinking Trubisky was the correct pick after one season. Is every rookie QB REALLY a project though? Were we calling Elway/Luck/Manning a project? Levis is NOT the answer, and neither is Richardson. 

Like I said. Scouts  and evaluators get it wrong. So let’s let these guys play before we declare they are not worthy. Manning won 3 games his rookie year. Yes you could say he was a project. Luck is a outliar what he did as a rookie:

1 minute ago, Indyfan4life said:

It comes down to how do you define project.  No rookie is a finished project so all rookies will require development so if that’s how you define project then yes all rookies are.  Most people don’t define projects that way when coming to the draft though.  A guy like Richardson who would being drafted off of potential and faith in your coaching staff to majorly develop him is a project.  Drafting a guy like Stroud or Young who you have questions about and will need normal QB development isn’t going to be seen as a project.

40 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

CI'll get destroyed by this opinion, but I think Richardson is very Tim Tebow-like. A freak athlete, but maybe not a good thrower.

Who knows? Could be the next Allen or the next Leaf.

13 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Like I said. Scouts  and evaluators get it wrong. So let’s let these guys play before we declare they are not worthy. Manning won 3 games his rookie year. Yes you could say he was a project. Luck is a outliar what he did as a rookie:

No thanks. I’d rather take a Stroud or Young over a Levis or Richardson. Yeah, he had some crazy good stats this weekend, but jumping high and running fast in a no pads, no defensive pressure practice doesn’t really sell me on a QB. You can’t call all rookies a project, but then gush over others that perform well. Did you call Herbert a project his rookie season? That was statistically his 2nd best and almost best season so far. Point is you can’t call all rookies projects and then throw the “generational talent” line around about others. Hell, if Manning was a rookie now, I guarantee his stats and wins would be much, much higher. 

30 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It comes down to how do you define project.  No rookie is a finished project so all rookies will require development so if that’s how you define project then yes all rookies are.  Most people don’t define projects that way when coming to the draft though.  A guy like Richardson who would being drafted off of potential and faith in your coaching staff to majorly develop him is a project.  Drafting a guy like Stroud or Young who you have questions about and will need normal QB development isn’t going to be seen as a project.

Which to me says it’s FAR less of a risk getting Stroud or Young. 

31 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Which to me says it’s FAR less of a risk getting Stroud or Young. 

I’d agree.  Honestly I think most NFL GMs put Levis in the non project pool too but I think fans see him as more of a project.  He’s the one I think most people are split on.

15 minutes ago, Aaron86 said:

AR is going to light it up. There is something about his attitude. The guy wants to be the best. If he puts the time in he will be the best in this draft. And I hope the Colts pick him and he proves everyone wrong.

Then why didn’t he do it in college?

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

No one will care what we give up if we start winning and win a SB. You think chiefs Carr what they have up for mahomes or bills with Allen? You fill draft picks lost with FA.

Everyone will care if it's the wrong pick.   What if they draft a Baker Mayfield or a Mitch Tribisky?????

You are so one sided in thinking it's insane 

2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Tim Tebow was NOT a freak athlete. He was a highly touted winning QB with athleticism in closed quarters, maybe, in the run game. He benefited from WRs running open with Florida having superior talent that he could hit when large separation was there.

Most teams that scouted him passed on him till McDaniels gave up a lot to draft him. AR’s athleticism and arm is superior to that of Tebow that he could be a better weapon than Tebow with his legs like Hurts was before Hurts made the throwing percentage jump.

I know you are trying to make a conceptual comparison but AR is a faster version of Hurts that’s not played enough starts that he needs a redshirt year. That’s how I see it.

I’m not sure Tebow ever worked on his throwing mechanics after he left college. AR, the negative of only 1 year of starting is he is not experienced enough in college. The flip side is, unlike Tebow, the mechanics can be broken down and rebuilt unlike Tebow, IMO.

1 minute ago, Aaron86 said:

With the limited chance he had. He has a ton to prove. But in the right place he is going to be good.

But if he’s going to be great because of his attitude like you said then he should have been getting better in college unless you think he just now developed that attitude in which case that’s another major red flag.  

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

But if he’s going to be great because of his attitude like you said then he should have been getting better in college unless you think he just now developed that attitude in which case that’s another major red flag.  

Would I take him over Young or Stroud? Not likely. 

Would I take him over Levis? Probably 

That’s where I stand. Not everyone is going to be Mahomes or Lamar Jackson, no matter what they say. The coaching staff has to decide if they can get AR’s mechanics straightened out better to make the jump with a redshirt year that Stroud or Young won’t need.

There are flaws with established QBs too. So we can’t sit here and expect any prospect with no flaws. I think we can win with any of the Top 4, IMO

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Would I take him over Young or Stroud? Not likely. 

Would I take him over Levis? Probably 

That’s where I stand. Not everyone is going to be Mahomes or Lamar Jackson, no matter what they say. The coaching staff has to decide if they can get AR’s mechanics straightened out better to make the jump with a redshirt year that Stroud or Young won’t need.

I wouldn’t take him over Young, Stroud, or Levis.  Drafting a player whose main drawing point is pure athleticism and needs A LOT of development beyond that rarely works out in the NFL.  I definitely wouldn’t do it if I was a GM who needed a QB now didn’t have two to three years to develop him which is what Richardson is probably going to need.  

Trying to find the next Manning, Brady, Mahommes, Hurts, whoever, never works.  Taking Richardson and hoping it will all magically come together like it did with Hurts in 2022 is like trying to win the lottery twice.

It's better to take the best QB available, forge your own path and keep evolving.

9 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I wouldn’t take him over Young, Stroud, or Levis.  Drafting a player whose main drawing point is pure athleticism and needs A LOT of development beyond that rarely works out in the NFL.  I definitely wouldn’t do it if I was a GM who needed a QB now didn’t have two to three years to develop him which is what Richardson is probably going to need.  

It’s a crap shoot. What’s wrong with 2 years of development when you feel the player’s ceiling could exceed that of some of the others??

Safe got the Browns Baker Mayfield and the Jets Sam Darnold. Safe got the Bears Mitch Trubisky. 

A little swinging for the fences got the Bills Josh Allen who made small advances across years in college.  Mahomes was 56% in Year 1 in college, then went up to 63 and 65% in years 2 and 3. So the development AR will be making in college with more years of starting is fast tracked in the NFL, that’s how I look at it, and he doesn’t have college to worry about.

We went with Eric Fisher because it was safe, went with Wentz because it was safe (for Reich), went with Ryan because it was safe. I’m all for taking a risk with confidence in the QB development to rip this band aid of safe, off. So I’ll have no issues if we go with AR. 

Now we know how the Bears felt with a better safe Trubisky on the board, sitting back then.

2 minutes ago, #12. said:

Trying to find the next Manning, Brady, Mahommes, Hurts, whoever, never works.  Taking Richardson and hoping it will all magically come together like it did with Hurts in 2022 is like trying to win the lottery twice.

It's better to take the best QB available, forge your own path and keep evolving.

There is also a huge gap between Hurts and Richardson from when they were in college.  People forget Hurts won a Heisman and was the starting QB for a National Championship team in college.  Hurts put it together in college, something Richardson didn’t do.  There were questions if Hurts could put it together in the pros like he did in college but that’s a big difference from taking a chance on a guy who didn’t even put it together in college and hoping he will do it in the NFL.  

Just now, chad72 said:

It’s a crap shoot. What’s wrong with 2 years of development when you feel the player’s ceiling could exceed that of some of the others??

Safe got the Browns Baker Mayfield and the Jets Sam Darnold. Safe got the Bears Mitch Trubisky. 

A little swinging for the fences got the Bills Josh Allen who made small advances across years in college.  Mahomes was 56% in Year 1 in college, then went up to 63 and 65% in years 2 and 3. So the development AR will be making in college with more years of starting is fast tracked in the NFL, that’s how I look at it, and he doesn’t have college to worry about.

We went with Eric Fisher because it was safe, went with Wentz because it was safe (for Reich), went with Ryan because it was safe. I’m all for taking a risk with confidence in the QB development to rip this band aid of safe, off. So I’ll have no issues if we go with AR.

Because Ballard probably isn’t getting two years of developing their top draft pick this year.  They need a QB now.  They don’t have a guy like Darnold or Smith who can hold the fort down for a couple of years while you try to develop Richardson unless you want to bring back Ryan.  If that’s the case you’d be better off taking a player at four who will help Ryan than drafting a QB to sit there for two years.  Ballard needs to turn things around quickly.  He’s not a new GM that’s gets the luxury of three or four years to try to turn things around.  

6 minutes ago, #12. said:

No, it’s not. Josh Allen and Hurts making 10 plus % jumps in accuracy percentages in 2021 and 2022 told me very good QB coaching and development with QB friendly rules can be repeated. Not like lightning striking twice or winning lottery twice whatsoever 

Archived