Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Staying at 4th pick

AustexColt

8 hours ago, Aaron86 said:

It is true, he is considered a top 5 pick at this moment like it or not. His combine was amazing but that's not why I like him. I never said it would be easy to fix but I do think accuracy issues are a easier fix then being bad under pressure. You can have the most accurate passer but if they get flustered easily then accuracy doesnt matter.

I don't think  we are moving up to get him but if he falls to 4 I can see Ballard taking him. And if he does pick him I'm sure he, Shane and Irsay will all be on the same page. 

There are reports out there now saying he didn't even have a QB coach. Imagine if he had a coach just to work on his mechanics and his accuracy.

I’m honestly unsure where you’re getting your sources from but even post combine a large majority of the top 100 prospects list don’t even have Richardson in there top 10. So for you to claim him to be a top 5 pick is pretty erroneous. I’ve also seen you mention several times that Florida doesn’t have a QB coach. I’m wondering if you’ve done your research before stating that because anyone who is familiar with their head coach Billy Napier knows that he was the OC/ QB coach for Arizona state in 2017, an assist coach/ QB coach for Colorado state in 2012 the OC / QB coach for Clemson from 2009-2010 and the assistant/ QB coach for South Carolina state In 2005. This guy has extensive knowledge about the game and as a QB coach, so if you don’t think he was coaching up Richardson then you’re flat out being Naive. Lastly you said  accuracy is an easy thing to fix, let me tell you man it really isn’t. Accuracy is something you either have or you don’t, can it be improved? Yes it can. But truly “fixing” it is extremely difficult. You have to unlearn so many things that’s you’ve done your entire career which is very difficult. Bruce Arians said it best “if you’re not accurate by the age of 23, you’ll never learn to be accurate “. That statement remains to be true.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/8/2023 at 8:26 AM, throwing BBZ said:

My bet Today is Carolina drafts #1.

I was also concerned about this, so I looked into this possibility by reading what they are saying on the Panther's sites. Most people believe that the Bears will not trade all the way down to #9 because they will miss out on the topD linemen. Also, the Panthers would have to give up A LOT to get Chicago to bite and that it would not be worth it for them. Alternatively, the Panthers may try to trade up to #3, but again they would still have to give up a lot. Instead, a more likely trade up would be to #5 or #6, to skip over the Raiders (7) and Falcons (8) who would also maybe want a QB, if one of the top 4 are left.

On 3/5/2023 at 6:54 PM, GoColts8818 said:

Honestly I think most NFL GMs put Levis in the non project pool too but I think fans see him as more of a project.  He’s the one I think most people are split on.

Last time I heard, the Colts did not even interview him, suggesting that he is scratched off our list for some reason (like being Wentz 2.0?).

23 hours ago, Aaron86 said:

We will see. I am willing to eat crow. He is hardly a project if he is being considered a top 5 draft pick.The issues he has are fixable. Young can't fix his size and Stroud is not good under pressure.

Stroud not being good under pressure is false

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

Stroud not being good under pressure is false

But apparently if that is true, that's more of a concern than the myriad of AR15's problems. No mention of exceptional intelligence being a strong suit, super inaccurate, inexperienced, inconsistent; poor processing, mechanics, and footwork, but he can run fast, jump high and can almost land a flip.

On 3/5/2023 at 6:04 PM, coltsfeva said:

Thanks for making my point:

Trubisky was drafted before Mahomes 

Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold before Allen

I think we all agree you have to get it right. I just don’t think you have to give away so much, if there is no one that stands out.

Did you really expect Ballard to say, "we really love x QB"? Of course he's going to say no one stood out to try to drive down the price to trade up. We have to get the best QB of this group. If it takes next year's #1, I don't care. I'd rather lose that pick and have our QB for the next 10+ years than hold onto that pick and settle for Richardson or Levis.

On 3/9/2023 at 1:47 AM, ProblChld32 said:

I’m honestly unsure where you’re getting your sources from but even post combine a large majority of the top 100 prospects list don’t even have Richardson in there top 10. So for you to claim him to be a top 5 pick is pretty erroneous. I’ve also seen you mention several times that Florida doesn’t have a QB coach. I’m wondering if you’ve done your research before stating that because anyone who is familiar with their head coach Billy Napier knows that he was the OC/ QB coach for Arizona state in 2017, an assist coach/ QB coach for Colorado state in 2012 the OC / QB coach for Clemson from 2009-2010 and the assistant/ QB coach for South Carolina state In 2005. This guy has extensive knowledge about the game and as a QB coach, so if you don’t think he was coaching up Richardson then you’re flat out being Naive. Lastly you said  accuracy is an easy thing to fix, let me tell you man it really isn’t. Accuracy is something you either have or you don’t, can it be improved? Yes it can. But truly “fixing” it is extremely difficult. You have to unlearn so many things that’s you’ve done your entire career which is very difficult. Bruce Arians said it best “if you’re not accurate by the age of 23, you’ll never learn to be accurate “. That statement remains to be true.

I never said he was a top 5 prospect. I said he was considered a top five pick. Teams are not going to go BPA with that high of a pick especially when they need a QB. QB's get over drafted every year because it's the most important postion in the NFL. 

I don't think a head coach can give the proper amount of attention to one player when he oversees the whole team. Even if he is good at it he has a ton of other obligations to fulfill. 

And again I don't think accuracy is easy to fix if it ever can be. But I do think it's easier to fix then getting flustered. I dont know if CJ can handle pressure or not. I think that narrative is because CJ never had to deal with much pressure at Ohio. 

AR is 21 so maybe he can turn it around maybe not. If he can put it all together then he will be a monster to deal with and that's exciting. 

Whoever we draft I will be stoked and support any of them. 

Reading the tea leaves I think the Colts with Irsays comments on Bryce Young wanted or want to influence the Texans to trade up to #1.  I dont think the Colts care who they get between Young or Stroud. If the Texans trade to #1 then the Colts can either sit at #4 and take whoever. Or if they have to move up to specifically get Stroud or Young its only a move to # 3. Maybe to # 2 if Chicago decides to trade back again to #4. I think its going to pan out something like what i wrote above.

Good thing he is only 21

1 hour ago, Aaron86 said:

I never said he was a top 5 prospect. I said he was considered a top five pick. Teams are not going to go BPA with that high of a pick especially when they need a QB. QB's get over drafted every year because it's the most important postion in the NFL. 

I don't think a head coach can give the proper amount of attention to one player when he oversees the whole team. Even if he is good at it he has a ton of other obligations to fulfill. 

And again I don't think accuracy is easy to fix if it ever can be. But I do think it's easier to fix then getting flustered. I dont know if CJ can handle pressure or not. I think that narrative is because CJ never had to deal with much pressure at Ohio. 

AR is 21 so maybe he can turn it around maybe not. If he can put it all together then he will be a monster to deal with and that's exciting. 

Whoever we draft I will be stoked and support any of them. 

Child has not done their homework and as you share under values the time and coaching that can help develop a young QB.

Richardson throws a very catchable ball in the short to mid range.
He had 19 throw aways and his team had a very high drop rate, over 6%.
3 more catches a game and he would have been nearing 65%, so it's garbage to right him off as Not Likely to get considerably more "Accurate"

Steichen and Irsay have to be sailvating to get our "12th man".

We are just having fun hear of course and this is my take TODAY.

11 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Sources at the Washington Post are now saying that there is buzz within the Colts scouting community about being enamored with Kentucky QB Will Levis. He most likely will be the next Colts QB if Young and Stroud are gone by #4.

We definitely should be "creating buzz" regarding the ones we don't want.
 Irsay did his part with Young, now some buzz regarding Levis is spot on.

4 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Child has not done their homework and as you share under values the time and coaching that can help develop a young QB.

3 more catches a game and he would have been nearing 65%, so it's garbage to right him off as Not Likely to get considerably more "Accurate"

Richardson is HIGHLY LIKELY to get more accurate.   But AR might still get LESS ACCURATE.   Both are possible.  Don’t believe me?  

Look at Josh Allen who any fan of the team taking AR hopes for a similar career.   After completing 55/56 percent his last two years in college, Allen completed 52 percent his first year before completing 59 percent his second year before soaring to 68 percent his third year.  An improvement SO BIG it had NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE IN NFL HISTORY.    Allen was the FIRST and ONLY. 

No third year QB had ever improved so much, 9 percent from his previous season. 

So you can bark at everyone who disagrees with you all you want.   But the bar isn’t will AR improve?    Of course he will.   Eventually.   The real questions are will he improve ENOUGH?    And….  HOW SOON?    65 percent isn’t a slam dunk.  If it was so easy and obvious that AR will be THAT GOOD then I think he’d go FIRST OVERALL to some team.   Maybe the Colts?   Maybe another team?   But the Bears might regret that FOREVER. 

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Richardson is HIGHLY LIKELY to get more accurate.   But AR might still get LESS ACCURATE.   Both are possible.  Don’t believe me?  

Look at Josh Allen who any fan of the team taking AR hopes for a similar career.   After completing 55/56 percent his last two years in college, Allen completed 52 percent his first year before completing 59 percent his second year before soaring to 68 percent his third year.  An improvement SO BIG it had NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE IN NFL HISTORY.    Allen was the FIRST and ONLY. 

No third year QB had ever improved so much, 9 percent from his previous season. 

So you can bark at everyone who disagrees with you all you want.   But the bar isn’t will AR improve?    Of course he will.   Eventually.   The real questions are will he improve ENOUGH?    And….  HOW SOON?    65 percent isn’t a slam dunk.  If it was so easy and obvious that AR will be THAT GOOD then I think he’d go FIRST OVERALL to some team.   Maybe the Colts?   Maybe another team?   But the Bears might regret that FOREVER. 

Obviously Young and Stroud look considerably more trustworthy passing the ball coming out of the gate. Safer picks.
 AR isn't a first round worthy pick Many have been saying. 
If you believe that the offense Steichen created for Hurts is his "best ideas", and that Richardson could recreate it in a couple years or 3, even say 85% as good, what will Steichen want? 
 Richardson has a very high probability of meeting/or excedding the 12th man aspect of his offense. And THAT, sets up Everything. Just an opinion.
 This is just all in how we look at things. Guestimization! 
 I'm a Stroud guy also. If we miss on my two faves, let's go for broke and trade back for picks, then trade back into the late first for Hooker.

I want One of the top couple interior o-lineman (Jason Kelce Jr. would be great), a pass rusher, and more of course.

Anyway, it's getting near, hopefully we nail the o-line issue ASAP. 

4 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Obviously Young and Stroud look considerably more trustworthy passing the ball coming out of the gate. Safer picks.
 AR isn't a first round worthy pick Many have been saying. 
If you believe that the offense Steichen created for Hurts is his "best ideas", and that Richardson could recreate it in a couple years or 3, even say 85% as good, what will Steichen want? 
 Richardson has a very high probability of meeting/or excedding the 12th man aspect of his offense. And THAT, sets up Everything. Just an opinion.
 This is just all in how we look at things. Guestimization! 
 I'm a Stroud guy also. If we miss on my two faves, let's go for broke and trade back for picks, then trade back into the late first for Hooker.

I want One of the top couple interior o-lineman (Jason Kelce Jr. would be great), a pass rusher, and more of course.

Anyway, it's getting near, hopefully we nail the o-line issue ASAP. 

???

Did you intend to say AR isn’t a first ROUND worthy pick, or not worthy of being the first OVERALL pick?!?    Those are entirely different things.   

After the combine, I think he’s easily worthy of a first round pick.  But I’m typically pretty conservative and risk averse, so I wouldn’t say first overall.  

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

???

Did you intend to say AR isn’t a first ROUND worthy pick, or not worthy of being the first OVERALL pick?!?    Those are entirely different things.   

After the combine, I think he’s easily worthy of a first round pick.  But I’m typically pretty conservative and risk averse, so I wouldn’t say first overall.  

I said neither.

Many have been saying he isn't worth a first round pick. 
 We do follow the talk year round so i assume you have read the same, Often Here and elsewhere in the weeks leading up to the combine. 

Steichen will have a really nice sitdown with him to discover his intellect.
Does he have the mental capacity to make the quick reads to set up the running game? Will he be able to read a defense well enough, in time, then become able to fit some balls into tight windows?
 He looks to have a killer deep ball.

Steichen is judging the potential for a QB with 15 rushing TD's, over 1000 yards rushing, and 3200+ yards passing from AR. And unless they change the rules, an incredible success rate on short yardage plays.

IF AR has the FB IQ to grasp and execute it. 

3 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Many have been saying he isn't worth a first round pick. 
 We do follow the talk year round so i assume you have read the same, Often Here and elsewhere in the weeks leading up to the combine. 

Steichen will have a really nice sitdown with him to discover his intellect.
Does he have the mental capacity to make the quick reads to set up the running game? Will he be able to read a defense well enough, in time, then become able to fit some balls into tight windows?
 He looks to have a killer deep ball.

Steichen is judging the potential for a QB with 15 rushing TD's, over 1000 yards rushing, and 3200+ yards passing from AR. And unless they change the rules, an incredible success rate on short yardage plays.

IF AR has the FB IQ to grasp and execute it. 

A lot of people say a lot of things.   Especially on this website.   I was curious about your view.   I wasn’t clear about your view.   

Im not a huge fan of AR.   But I think he’s comfortably a first round pick.   But I’m on the Steichen train.   And I’ve come to terms that whatever the Colts do, I’m assuming it’s based on whatever Steichen wants.   So I’ll support the Steichen decision.   Even if the Colts bypass a QB in the first — take BPA — and then take Hooker at 35.    I’ll be on board.   And if the Colts trade up to 1, and take AR over the other three,  I’ll be completely shocked, but I’ll support the move and assume that Steichen and Ballard are in agreement and didn’t want to risk not getting him at 4. 

Strange year.   Strange draft.   Strange free agency.   :peek:

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

People don't like to look at the whole picture. They also like to twist what people say to seem like they are winning a argument. 

AR does have his issues but I believe he can fix them. Especially with the right coaching staff.

If I was Irsay or Ballard I would take my chances at four a grab AR up if he is there or if any of them is still there. Giving up draft capital is going to hurt in the future. Moving to 3 is as high as I would go. But if we stay put or trade back there are still some good prospects we can grab without selling the farm. 

I have seen several recent mock drafts from CBS sports or ESPN that have him going as high as #1

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

What Peter king is forgetting here is SF was already a loaded team. They had the luxury  to move down farther. 

I think what he says make perfect sense.   I am not sure where its coming from that the Bears wouldn't trade past 4 or 5.

I haven't read anything but opinion that they want one of the 2 top D players over a very very big haul of now and future draft picks. 

Also if the Bears really do have an offer of  2023 2024 and 2025 1st rounders.  I want nothing to do with that!!  I hope Ballard doesn't do that.    It most likely will set this team back for a decade if the QB he chooses isn't a superstar.

I hope Ballard trades back for a haul and can still get Hooker.  Or even one of the other guys in the 2nd tier of QB's.  Build the entire team.

JMO

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

A lot of people say a lot of things.   Especially on this website.   I was curious about your view.   I wasn’t clear about your view.   

Im not a huge fan of AR.   But I think he’s comfortably a first round pick.   But I’m on the Steichen train.   And I’ve come to terms that whatever the Colts do, I’m assuming it’s based on whatever Steichen wants.   So I’ll support the Steichen decision.   Even if the Colts bypass a QB in the first — take BPA — and then take Hooker at 35.    I’ll be on board.   And if the Colts trade up to 1, and take AR over the other three,  I’ll be completely shocked, but I’ll support the move and assume that Steichen and Ballard are in agreement and didn’t want to risk not getting him at 4. 

Some good players getting released already, but we are not much of a destination spot right now. The sooner we get C and G figured out the better.

Steichen's evaluation of Pinter is big. Pinter may have the mobility he wants at C... but the rest...???

And let's hope if we do feel compelled to move up that it is to #3. lol

On 3/5/2023 at 6:18 PM, GoColts8818 said:

I think he has the athleticism that gets GMs fired

Agree. The last time I checked, the primary job of the quarterback was to throw the ball. As athletic as Richardson is, his accuracy is hovering dangerously close to 50 percent, which means you could practically flip a coin to decide whether he completes a pass. You can't be a dual threat without the passing part. And who cares if you can throw a 70-yard bomb with ease if it's not on-target? Ballard might SAY he likes where the Colts sit at #4, but then he HAS to say that. But he's on too short of a leash to take a chance on anyone who's not a day-1 starter. So, if Anthony Richardson's off the table--and I think he is--then the Colts basically HAVE to trade up--unless, of course, someone takes Richardson ahead of them.

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well Carolina moved up to 1st so there goes the thought that we would move up lol. 

Archived