Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pick 2 approach for drafting a Qb

Coltivated

Let's say hypothetically, the Texans get young and we get........ Levis or stroud whatever without trading pics. Would drafting a second QB to follow be smart. I know the Washington commanders did it years back with RGS and Cousins. However a first and third I believe tho. I'm thinking Richardson or maybe hooker if available. Battle it out best man wins. Best case scenario we can trade one.   

NOPE!!

We have other needs on our team.

We already have Sam Ehlinger on the roster - and - at an affordable price.

We need a veteran mentor and/or "bridge QB" while the rookie learns the "ins and outs" of the NFL game.

Not every first round pick is ready to be a Day 1 starter in the NFL.

5 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

If Hooker or McGee fell down into the 4th round or later, I would certainly entertain the idea.  It would make for a crowded QB room, with Ryan, Foles, and Sam all still under contract.  Unless we were planning to clear the board, as it were.

So you think Foles has greater than 1% chance of coming back.

Oh, i see it differently.

It worked out for Washington when they drafted RG3 and Cap'n Kirk.  But I'm in the "we need to bolster other positions first" camp.

Besides, I really think we're going to have to trade up to get one of the top 3 QBs and it's not going to be cheap.  So we may not have that many draft picks after that anyway.

On 2/2/2023 at 5:44 PM, Coltivated said:

Let's say hypothetically, the Texans get young and we get........ Levis or stroud whatever without trading pics. Would drafting a second QB to follow be smart. I know the Washington commanders did it years back with RGS and Cousins. However a first and third I believe tho. I'm thinking Richardson or maybe hooker if available. Battle it out best man wins. Best case scenario we can trade one.   

Really doubtful that Richardson gets past round one. Hooker is anyone's guess with the injury issue.

5 hours ago, Matabix said:

I don't think the QBs this year are worthy of a 1st round pick. I would grab the WR from tcu.

I wouldn't go that far but it's a refreshing view point. I would have no problem with trading back and nabbing the best OL and taking a flyer on a day 2 or 3 QB.

Sigh. Well after being in position to draft Manning and Luck, Colt fans really have no right to complain. If only Grigson wasn't such a complete * and had built that OL, we wouldn't be having this conversation. 

13 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Or if Will Anderson is there. 

I think our defense is good. We can trade back. I don't think we will pony up the dough for Pittman. So trade back get another 1st next year. I think our future QB is next year but would use a day 2 pick on McKee or day 3 on the QB from Coastal Carolina. 

Trade back to around 8 and grab the tcu WR. 

Depending on who the next HC/OC is, would anyone mind if Ryan starts another year? Maybe, just maybe, a new offensive system could benefit him? Ofcourse a QB needs to be taken in this draft, but I wouldnt hate drafting to fill our other holes early on! MR sucked this season, but I believe the coaching was the major issue. Just fix the OL issues and give whoever the QB is enough time to throw downfield! Problem solved! 

26 minutes ago, Matabix said:

I think our defense is good. We can trade back. I don't think we will pony up the dough for Pittman. So trade back get another 1st next year. I think our future QB is next year but would use a day 2 pick on McKee or day 3 on the QB from Coastal Carolina. 

The Eagles had 70 sacks.

The Colts had 44 sacks. 

Anderson is probably the best player in the draft 

Just saying. 

22 hours ago, Matabix said:

Ballard has always paid “his”players who he thinks have played well enough to earn a second contract.  Even Hines got paid.  I don’t see him changing course on Pittman or JT.

On 2/3/2023 at 3:41 PM, Matabix said:

I don't think the QBs this year are worthy of a 1st round pick. I would grab the WR from tcu.

For whatever it’s worth….   Everything I read and hear is that this is NOT a great class of WRs.   A few will go in the first, but they are considered mid to low round first level players.   There isn’t one that jumps out as a top-10 level player.  There is no consensus best WR.  No one obvious.   You like Johnston from TCU.   I like him too, but have read he is not a natural comfortable hands catcher.  That’s a worry for teams.  

I think the sweet spot for WRs starts around the teens and drops from there.  

By the way, you may hate Round 2 WRs.  But personally, I love them.  I prefer them.   There are plenty of first round bust WRs and plenty of Day 2 WRs that are very good. 

My prediction is Levis will go 1 overall.  Stroud will go 2.  Anderson is off the board at 3.  And even if the order changes I think those are the top three prospects, with the QBs both up there due to supply & demand.  

If I'm right we're then looking at a QB with size issues (Young), a potentially dominant DT (Carter), or maybe reaching for a guy who is in that next tier that the team likes.  There are several who they might hit on, but I think there is big dropoff after 3 or 4 and for myself the combination of team need to get a QB plus the uncertainty would lead me to bite the bullet and move up to 1 overall so I can take Levis.

Basically give up the picks you need to give up in order to get the QB you want.  Instead of rolling the dice on a guy who might not be able overcome his inability to see over his lineman at this level.

If they can't move up, then I would prefer trading down and taking the second tier option they prefer and scooping Haener later.  Because I think for all the buzz around Young, truth is he benefitted from the circumstances and is limited physically, whereas Haener did a lot with a lesser team around him and if you're gonna roll the dice on a short QB why not do it later.

12 minutes ago, Boondoggle said:

My prediction is Levis will go 1 overall.  Stroud will go 2.  Anderson is off the board at 3.  And even if the order changes I think those are the top three prospects, with the QBs both up there due to supply & demand.  

If I'm right we're then looking at a QB with size issues (Young), a potentially dominant DT (Carter), or maybe reaching for a guy who is in that next tier that the team likes.  There are several who they might hit on, but I think there is big dropoff after 3 or 4 and for myself the combination of team need to get a QB plus the uncertainty would lead me to bite the bullet and move up to 1 overall so I can take Levis.

Basically give up the picks you need to give up in order to get the QB you want.  Instead of rolling the dice on a guy who might not be able overcome his inability to see over his lineman at this level.

If they can't move up, then I would prefer trading down and taking the second tier option they prefer and scooping Haener later.  Because I think for all the buzz around Young, truth is he benefitted from the circumstances and is limited physically, whereas Haener did a lot with a lesser team around him and if you're gonna roll the dice on a short QB why not do it later.

I think Levis will go 1 as well and I hope we move up to get him.  If we sit at 4 and see what develops I would rather trade back and let someone else take Young.  I would actually take Richardson over Young at this point.  

Archived