Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 4th pick (Official Discussion Thread)

danlhart87

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Sure feels good to have this high of a pick  and finally get some resolution at QB at least for next few years.  It was totally worth the pain. Now have to get the HC right.

yeah hopefully we get our guy for the next few years, end this QB carousel

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

That’s why I said the last line of my post.  I have a feeling if the Colts sense that’s going to happen they will pay the price to trade with the Cardinals.  Still, I don’t think Seattle is going QB and I don’t think the Bears would trade back further than number five so the Colts are probably okay.

I don't see how folks feel the Seahawks won't go QB. Gino smith is a 32-year-old journeyman who has had a decent season. In 98 we still had Jim Harbaugh, who took us to an AFC championship game three years earlier and we absolutely drafted Peyton. 

When you have a top 3-5 pick and you don't have a young promising or pro bowl QB you pick one. 

Unless you think gino smith and a not-bruce smith, maybe Aaron  donald DT or de will win you a super bowl...

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Very happy. Not only did we not move down to 6, but we managed to move up to 4.

We should be able to get a QB without trading up.

Your right because I don't think Arizona or Chicago draft a QB that high.  I think Houston drafts Bryce Young though. 

3 hours ago, esmort said:

If they love one QB, they should pay whatever it takes to get Chicago's pick to guarantee they get their guy. This isn't a pick you try to get cute with, or just take whichever QB drops. 

Horrible idea. Moving up to #1 would cost WAY too much, esp when Stroud is likely to be there. Young is good but he's no Manning and far from a lock as a franchise QB.

54 minutes ago, Gigc said:

I don't see how folks feel the Seahawks won't go QB. Gino smith is a 32-year-old journeyman who has had a decent season. In 98 we still had Jim Harbaugh, who took us to an AFC championship game three years earlier and we absolutely drafted Peyton. 

When you have a top 3-5 pick and you don't have a young promising or pro bowl QB you pick one. 

Unless you think gino smith and a not-bruce smith, maybe Aaron  donald DT or de will win you a super bowl...

54 minutes ago, Gigc said:

The Colts didn’t chuck Jim Harbaugh out the door after the 95 season either.

57 minutes ago, Gigc said:

Seahawks plan will be interesting. Whether Pete Carroll decides to continue coaching may play a role in how the Seahawks approach the draft. I would think Carroll is all about winning now.

1 hour ago, Gigc said:

Jim actually went 2-9 in 1997 and his contract was up anyway. Anyone with half a brain would have taken Peyton in our position as at that point we had Paul Justin at QB. Geno Smith is only 32 years old and Pete Carroll loves him, he is making Pete look like a genius. I see them sticking with Geno.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Jim actually went 2-9 in 1997 and his contract was up anyway. Anyone with half a brain would have taken Peyton in our position as at that point we had Paul Justin at QB. Geno Smith is only 32 years old and Pete Carroll loves him, he is making Pete look like a genius. I see them sticking with Geno.

His contract wasn’t up the Colts traded him to the Ravens for a pick.  Justin’s contract was up and they let him walk.  Kelly Holcomb was Peyton’s original backup.  You are right though by 97 it was clear the bloom was off the rose with Harbaugh and having the top pick with supposedly the best two QB prospects the NFL had seen since Elway was a very different position from what Seattle will be in.  They are coming off making the playoffs with Geno and there will be good QBs there but there will also be at least one if not two defensive studs that are supposed to be the best players in this draft that could really help a playoff team now.  

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

His contract wasn’t up the Colts traded him to the Ravens for a pick.  Justin’s contract was up and they let him walk.  Kelly Holcomb was Peyton’s original backup.  You are right though by 97 it was clear the bloom was off the rose with Harbaugh and having the top pick with supposedly the best two QB prospects the NFL had seen since Elway was a very different position from what Seattle will be in.  They are coming off making the playoffs with Geno and there will be good QBs there but there will also be at least one if not two defensive studs that are supposed to be the best players in this draft that could really help a playoff team now.  

Yeah you are right I got Harbaugh and Justin's contract's mixed up lol. I remember Holcomb being on the team as well but by then Jim was pretty much done anyway.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah you are right I got Harbaugh and Justin's contract's mixed up lol. I remember Holcomb being on the team as well but by then Jim was pretty much done anyway.

Holcomb played the role of Sam on that 97 team.  Young kid forced into battle before he was really ready and took his lumps.  

I thought about it, due to what I now know about Reich forcing Irsay and Ballard to sign band-aid QBs and us having the 4th pick in the draft, I'm willing to give Ballard a chance if he drafts a QB at 4. The one thing I trust him on is the draft. If we get our QB and fix the O-Line, I believe next year will be better. We have two picks in top 35, so I hope we get our QB at 4 and an O-Lineman at 35 if possible.

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I thought about it, due to what I now know about Reich forcing Irsay and Ballard to sign band-aid QBs and us having the 4th pick in the draft, I'm willing to give Ballard a chance if he drafts a QB at 4. The one thing I trust him on is the draft. If we get our QB and fix the O-Line, I believe next year will be better. We have two picks in top 35, so I hope we get our QB at 4 and an O-Lineman at 35 if possible.

They will probably need a corner in there too.  I believe Gilmore’s contract was pretty much a one year and I don’t see him coming back to rebuilding team but I could be wrong.  

They need help at right guard and maybe center (making a decision on Kelly is going to be one of the bigger player personal decisions they make this off-season).  You can find one of those in the middle rounds of the draft but I’d prefer they go free agency for at least a center or a right guard if not both and not a cheap band aid fix.  They don’t have to break the bank on a guy.  Ideally you’d find someone like Glow was for the Giants.  Proven but not super expensive.  

WR could also be a need depending on what happens with Campbell.  personally I’d bring him back on a one or two year deal.  

They may also need a linebacker if they don’t keep Bobby O or Speed.

They will probably need a corner in there too.  I believe Gilmore’s contract was pretty much a one year and I don’t see him coming back to rebuilding team but I could be wrong.  

They need help at right guard and maybe center (making a decision on Kelly is going to be one of the bigger player personal decisions they make this off-season).  You can find one of those in the middle rounds of the draft but I’d prefer they go free agency for at least a center or a right guard if not both and not a cheap band aid fix.  They don’t have to break the bank on a guy.  Ideally you’d find someone like Glow was for the Giants.  Proven but not super expensive.  

WR could also be a need depending on what happens with Campbell.  personally I’d bring him back on a one or two year deal.  

Gilmore does have one more year on his contract.

38 minutes ago, jonjon said:

Horrible idea. Moving up to #1 would cost WAY too much, esp when Stroud is likely to be there. Young is good but he's no Manning and far from a lock as a franchise QB.

I like Young because I love his work which I heard is very high by all accounts. 

5 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I hope we either draft Stroud or Young, at 35 I am not sure what route I would go. Rainman may pan out at LT? We need another deep threat at WR. Pittman is a #1 but not a great deep threat, he is the man on slants and the short passing game. Pierce and Campbell are more like #3's to me (Campbell in the slot) = good but not great. We need someone that puts the fear into other teams that can go deep like 50 yards deep.

Yeah, I've done some mocks on mockdraftdatabase, and I've traded down from the 80th pick quite a bit to accumulate day 3 capital, and so far, it has yielded good results when I start out with something like Stroud at 4 and an O-Lineman like Torrence or Harrison at 35. I'm thinking that might be Ballard's strategy this year to get those two starters in the draft, and trade down and pick 6 or 7 guys on day 3. 

We also need to sign some depth guys in FA at positions of need, so we aren't fully dependent on the draft. Get as much competition as possible, especially if we are cash-strapped if Matt Ryan doesn't retire, and we have to pay him for next year.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I hope we either draft Stroud or Young, at 35 I am not sure what route I would go. Rainman may pan out at LT? We need another deep threat at WR. Pittman is a #1 but not a great deep threat, he is the man on slants and the short passing game. Pierce and Campbell are more like #3's to me (Campbell in the slot) = good but not great. We need someone that puts the fear into other teams that can go deep like 50 yards deep.

I want someone like Anton Harrison or O'Cyrus Torrence at 35. Trade down from 80 and get around 3 extra picks on day 3 and just fill needs there along with FA. I'll have to learn about the WRs in the draft better before I can talk about them.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I want someone like Anton Harrison or O'Cyrus Torrence at 35. Trade down from 80 and get around 3 extra picks on day 3 and just fill needs there along with FA. I'll have to learn about the WRs in the draft better before I can talk about them.

Yeah we do need O.Line help, I would be fine with taking a LT or even a tough gritty guard at 35.

14 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I need to visit some other NFL forums yo figure out if it's just Colts fans who have this obsession with having a line made up purely of high draft picks.

We need to look at how successful teams build their lines rather than packing it full of 1st and 2nd round picks. No team has ever been successful with that strategy so why follow it?

We need weapons on offense and get some defensive players who can stop the opposition going on game winning, 80 yard drives more than yet another high pick offensive lineman.

1 minute ago, ClaytonColt said:

I need to visit some other NFL forums yo figure out if it's just Colts fans who have this obsession with having a line made up purely of high draft picks.

We need to look at how successful teams build their lines rather than packing it full of 1st and 2nd round picks. No team has ever been successful with that strategy so why follow it?

We need weapons on offense and get some defensive players who can stop the opposition going on game winning, 80 yard drives more than yet another high pick offensive lineman.

Line was even worse when it was a bunch of scrubs playing. Sometimes you HAVE to draft higher for good oline. 

1 minute ago, ClaytonColt said:

Generally, it's difficult to hit on O-Lineman picks outside the first 2-3 rounds. It can happen, but the success rate is low, much more so than other positions. It's like the reverse RB.

2 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

The Cowboys line was built through a lot of high draft picks.  

Either way, the first pick is going to be a QB.  Second rounder id expect the best player available that fills a need, rather that’s a lineman, edge rusher, Corner, WR, or linebacker.  

Archived