Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 4th pick (Official Discussion Thread)

danlhart87

I think the Bears and Texans stay put. I do worry about a team like the Seahawks trading with the Cardinals to leap frog us. I would be happy if we swap places with Arizona and I wonder if we could work out some sort of deal where we swap our first and maybe offer a 4th or something? Not sure if that would be enough but they would obviously know we’re taking a QB so whoever there guy is would still be there at 4.

7 minutes ago, Moe said:

Let’s hold the horses, is there any quarterback in this draft that screams can’t miss?

There really isn't but I think Stroud and Young both will be good at worse. The others I have serious doubts about because the draft is a crapshoot and the times I watched Levis play, I got a bad vibe. episode 15 GIF- I need a beer Moe Episode 2 GIF by The Simpsons

Just now, Colts.sb41 said:

I think the Bears and Texans stay put. I do worry about a team like the Seahawks trading with the Cardinals to leap frog us. I would be happy if we swap places with Arizona and I wonder if we could work out some sort of deal where we swap our first and maybe offer a 4th or something? Not sure if that would be enough but they would obviously know we’re taking a QB so whoever there guy is would still be there at 4.

My guess is Ballard calls cardinals gm

and says call me if another team tries to trade up.  Cardinals do need dline I just don’t know about DT.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Colts.sb41 said:

I thought they loved Geno Smith who just had a good year and is still fairly young. Seahawks had a good year.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Colts.sb41 said:

If the Bears stay put the Colts can do no worse than the third best QB in this draft.  That’s fine, they are viewed as the big three without much separating them.  What could get the Colts in trouble is if Seattle decides they want a QB goes up to number one and a team like the Raiders swaps with the Cardinals.  I have a feeling if the Colts get these sense that’s going to happen you’ll see them trade with the Bears or Cardinals.  

• Like 4

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There really isn't but I think Stroud and Young both will be good at worse. The others I have serious doubts about because the draft is a crapshoot and the times I watched Levis play, I got a bad vibe. episode 15 GIF- I need a beer Moe Episode 2 GIF by The Simpsons

We’ll then let’s draft Ar15

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

If the Bears stay put the Colts can do no worse than the third best QB in this draft.  That’s fine, they are viewed as the big three without much separating.  What could get the Colts in trouble is if Seattle decides they want a QB goes up to number one and a team like the Raiders swaps with the Cardinals.  I have a feeling if the Colts get these sense that’s going to happen you’ll see them trade with the Bears or Cardinals.  

Whoever the colts GM should be fired if they allow that to happen. A good GM will put calls out and say call me if someone behind us tried to trade up.

4 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

The most success Irsay has had was when they had their choice at #1. Manning > Leaf. Luck > RG3. 

No way Irsay leaves it up to chance. Can’t promote #2 either.

He also saw Jeff George set this team back five years after they traded up to number one to get him.

None of these QBs are seen as Manning or Luck level.  The only way I see the Colts paying the price to go up to number one is if they just fall in love with one of these three and become convinced one of them really is the next Manning or Luck and the rest of the world just doesn’t see it yet like the Chiefs did with MaHomes.  

The only other way would be if they feel like the top three QBs are going to go 1-2-3 and they will miss out if they stay at 4.  Even then they would probably be more likely to trade with the Cardinals to go up to number three.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I thought they loved Geno Smith who just had a good year and is still fairly young. Seahawks had a good year.

You’re probably right but if I’m Seattle and Arizona is willing to make a deal and I can trade up for someone like Stroud I’m doing it. Geno is who he is at this point. I never really cared much for Pete Carroll as a coach but after The season Geno and Russ have had this year, he’s made me a believer.

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Whoever the colts GM should be fired if they allow that to happen. A good GM will put calls out and say call me if someone behind us tried to trade up.

That’s why I said the last line of my post.  I have a feeling if the Colts sense that’s going to happen they will pay the price to trade with the Cardinals.  Still, I don’t think Seattle is going QB and I don’t think the Bears would trade back further than number five so the Colts are probably okay.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

That’s why I said the last line of my post.  I have a feeling if the Colts sense that’s going to happen they will pay the price to trade with the Cardinals.  Still, I don’t think Seattle is going QB and I don’t think the Bears would trade back further than number five so the Colts are probably okay.

Yeah I doubt any GM would let that happen when they need a QB in a very bad way.

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Yeah I doubt any GM would let that happen when they need a QB in a very bad way.

I don’t think Irsay would let that happen.  Remember when he told Ballard to up his offer for Ryan this off-season?  I think Irsay would step in again if needed.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

So why wouldnt they just lie and say We had a call.   your gonna need to come up with a pretty good package to get us to take your offer.    You keep saying this and it doesnt make sense 

3 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

So why wouldnt they just lie and say We had a call.   your gonna need to come up with a pretty good package to get us to take your offer.    You keep saying this and it doesnt make sense 

It’s more about how teams don’t want to trade down very far. So they will almost always do that.  

10 minutes ago, Colts.sb41 said:

You’re probably right but if I’m Seattle and Arizona is willing to make a deal and I can trade up for someone like Stroud I’m doing it. Geno is who he is at this point. I never really cared much for Pete Carroll as a coach but after The season Geno and Russ have had this year, he’s made me a believer.

Russell Wilson's play was the most puzzling thing I have seen in a long while. I thought Matt Ryan was bad at times, Wilson said hold my beer lmao 

35 minutes ago, ad24rouse said:

I 100% don't agree that Levis goes #1. No way.

Levis or Stroud...I'm hoping someone other than us trades up for Stroud and we stay put and take Levis.

I'd try to trade Leonard and Taylor also since we are doing a rebuild on the fly... Franklin set the single season record for tackles today, breaking Leonard's mark (and makes far less money)...Try to trade both (Taylor will be due a massive contract soon), draft BiJan Robinson and best player available (with picks we get for Leonard and Taylor).

I'd trade Q, also, if the dead cap hit wasn't so big.

Love all 3 players, but saving money and getting younger wouldn't be a bad thing.

2 minutes ago, Shepman said:

Trade pick 4, Kenny Moore and Leonard to the Bears.  Sign Franklin to a new deal and keep your picks and get your QB.  Forget the dead money it is a sunken cost.

Franklin is under contract for two more years. He just signed a extension. Leonard is injured goods and is probably not tradeable until he proves he is healthy.

14 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

He also saw Jeff George set this team back five years after they traded up to number one to get him.

None of these QBs are seen as Manning or Luck level.  The only way I see the Colts paying the price to go up to number one is if they just fall in love with one of these three and become convinced one of them really is the next Manning or Luck and the rest of the world just doesn’t see it yet like the Chiefs did with MaHomes.  

The only other way would be if they feel like the top three QBs are going to go 1-2-3 and they will miss out if they stay at 4.  Even then they would probably be more likely to trade with the Cardinals to go up to number three.

They convinced themselves JB was worth giving a $28M to..:that Wentz could be the guy for the next several years…that Ryan made them a contender for the next two years. 

I could definitely see them falling in love with one of the QBs and doing what it takes to trade up. 

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Franklin is under contract for two more years. He just signed a extension. Leonard is injured goods and is probably not tradeable until he proves he is healthy.

Leonard’s brand new contract extension makes him untradeable this off-season.  He had one year where he was hurt I think people are making too much out of his injury in general.  I get what you are saying here and that’s fair no one is taking on his contract until he’s healthy if the Colts could take the hit from trading him.  Still, I see some people calling Leonard Bob Sanders and what not and that’s just too far.  That’s not what you are saying here though and I get that.

3 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I could definitely see them falling in love with one of the QBs and doing what it takes to trade up. 

It will be interesting.  Is the difference between Stroud and Levis, for example, worth the picks?  That's the math.  In most cases, Ballard would stay put, but you only have one shot at a top-5 QB.

10 minutes ago, Shepman said:

Trade pick 4, Kenny Moore and Leonard to the Bears.  Sign Franklin to a new deal and keep your picks and get your QB.  Forget the dead money it is a sunken cost.

Why would the Bears want to do that? Moore is on the last year of his contract and his play is declining.  Leonard’s back issue hardly makes him attractive. The Bears will trade down and get a nice haul.