Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 4th pick (Official Discussion Thread)

danlhart87

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Nesjan3 said:

Guys the 4 most important positions in the modern NFL. QB, WR, LT, Pass Rush.

- We have Gardner Minshew and the 3rd or 4th quarterback out of the draft. All the scouts are saying its a massive drop off from Stroud and Young. We are not getting those 2

- WR group is below average

- Pass Rush is below average

- LT is honestly the most promising of them all with Raimann but still relatively unknown

Then I would argue the next most important position CB is a bare cupboard. Moore who sucks now and Rogers.

We are going to blow this year bad, buckle up cause its going to be a long few years.

Our best options is to trade back or take the best defensive playerand suck for Williams or one of the other two guys next year who are said to all 3 be better prospects then all the qb's in this draft. Or else get Lamar. 

So if the goal is to finally get a young franchise quarterback for the Colts you either draft the 3rd or 4th prospect this year or hope you can get one of next year’s quarterbacks or you try and get Lamar.  Which choice gives you the highest probability of success.  If I was Ballard and my job depended on that very choice I would be trying to get Lamar.  He might not be able to pull it off but I would be trying my damndest to get him. 

Curious if the Texans believe they’ll have yet another down year with another completely new staff, meaning they’ll have a shot at one of the big two QBs next year? 

Who honestly has any clue what will happen this month. The media is honestly just as much in the dark as we are with all the false flags being planted. Someone will be right of course, but there’s just as much of a chance of all 4 picks going QB as there is of them falling. 

33 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

So if the goal is to finally get a young franchise quarterback for the Colts you either draft the 3rd or 4th prospect this year or hope you can get one of next year’s quarterbacks or you try and get Lamar.  Which choice gives you the highest probability of success.  If I was Ballard and my job depended on that very choice I would be trying to get Lamar.  He might not be able to pull it off but I would be trying my damndest to get him. 

I think you either trade the 4th overall pick and package some other things not including next years first for Lamar. Or else you take the best pass rusher available at 4 realizing we are going to suck no matter this season and just hope we suck bad enough for one of the top 3 guys next draft. AR nor Levis are even close to being 4th overall pick value.

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Do you think Simmons would be part of the package to trade up

I would think a player would have to be added to any package since Tenn has no extra draft capital this year to give up. They have the 11 pick, mid round 2nd and 3rd, and that’s about it. For AZ to trade back that far, the compensation will have to be significant. You’re probably talking next years’ 1 and 2 as well. For QB 3 in this draft? That’s a franchise altering killer if it doesn’t work out. I don’t see it. 

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I have never seen so much unfounded hatred.

Ive been laughed at for saying this but i just find him unlikable.  We all have people we dont like or want to hear from and he is one of them to me.  I think twitter and reddit dont want to come out and say it but its probably a factor

His shirtless I have a cannon for an arm stuff didnt go over well.  The way he says things make them worse than they look in print too

Hes still a qb with potential and i want the team to win.  If he comes here I dont want to hear from him though lol

4 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Ive been laughed at for saying this but i just find him unlikable.  We all have people we dont like or want to hear from and he is one of them to me.  I think twitter and reddit dont want to come out and say it but its probably a factor

His shirtless I have a cannon for an arm stuff didnt go over well.  The way he says things make them worse than they look in print too

Hes still a qb with potential and i want the team to win.  If he comes here I dont want to hear from him though lol

If he can win games for the Colts, who cares what he says? 

1 minute ago, Nesjan3 said:

Let them trade up to 3 then we can get Anderson and forget about wasting the 4th overall on late 1st-2nd round talent

I can agree to that statement. Before this draft ever got rolling there was only a couple of QBs who even had a 1st rd grade.  

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

If he can win games for the Colts, who cares what he says? 

Its petty and may not a big deal but it would still bother me at times.  

The biggest tangible reason for me to be leery of him is it makes me question if his head is in the right place(Similar to carson).  WL wasnt exactly a proven winner in college it keeps me wondering 

1 minute ago, Nesjan3 said:

Let them trade up to 3 then we can get Anderson and forget about wasting the 4th overall on late 1st-2nd round talent

Get Anderson 1st then sign or trade for Lamar.  If we get Lamar and Anderson they can have the 24 1st and 25th 1st if need be.  

Just now, BlackTiger said:

Its petty and may not a big deal but it would still bother me at times.  

The biggest tangible reason for me to be leery of him is it makes me question if his head is in the right place(Similar to carson).  WL wasnt exactly a proven winner in college it keeps me wondering 

I can understand that but the NFL is full of arrogant and loud mouth players. What they do on the field is what matters to me.  Sometimes confidence is confused with arrogance.  

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Get Anderson 1st then sign or trade for Lamar.  If we get Lamar and Anderson they can have the 24 1st and 25th 1st if need be.  

I would go with Hooker before Jackson. The rookie contract is what we haven’t had in quite a while. 

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I would go with Hooker before Jackson. The rookie contract is what we haven’t had in quite a while. 

Not in a million years Hooker over Jackson.  Jackson is a proven star in the league.  Hooker is a rookie who is the 5th best quarterback in this class if that.  Apples to oranges comparison.

8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Not in a million years Hooker over Jackson.  Jackson is a proven star in the league.  Hooker is a rookie who is the 5th best quarterback in this class if that.  Apples to oranges comparison.

To be fair He is considered the best QB by the talking heads.   Maybe not the NFL GM's.     I don't listen to any of these guys they are often wrong on their rankings 

27 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think you are forgetting that Hooker was rated ahead of the so called top QBs of this draft prior to his injury.  The Colts can buy a lot of apples and oranges on a rookie contract.  

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Twitter is really going to melt down if Colts take Levis. I am here for the popcorn lol. I have never seen so much unfounded hatred. Then the excuses they give AR for his bad accuracy while there hatred of Levis isn’t even based on facts. 

Will you still be eating popcorn if they don't take him? 

13 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think you are forgetting that Hooker was rated ahead of the so called top QBs of this draft prior to his injury.  The Colts can buy a lot of apples and oranges on a rookie contract.  

“Hooker was rated ahead of this class of QBs before his injury”??    By who?

I’m not aware of anyone.    And I follow this pretty closely.   I believe he was rated as a possible first round talent, but I don’t know anyone who called him QB1 for this class.  

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

“Hooker was rated ahead of this class of QBs before his injury”??    By who?

I’m not aware of anyone.    And I follow this pretty closely.   I believe he was rated as a possible first round talent, but I don’t know anyone who called him QB1 for this class.  

I'm not sure he was the #1 beacuse Bryce and Stroud and even Williams were ahead of him by the ends of the yr but he was top 3 while the Vols were ranked 5 this season before the injury and was a legit Heisman candidate.       Here is a quick quote about that from RGIII.   He is very under rated IMO 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

So if nobody trades for LJ aren't they choosing Anybody over LJ?

It won't take but a few months to prove your position incorrect.

13 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

I'm not sure he was the #1 beacuse Bryce and Stroud and even Williams were ahead of him by the ends of the yr but he was top 3 while the Vols were ranked 5 this season before the injury and was a legit Heisman candidate.       Here is a quick quote about that from RGIII.   He is very under rated IMO 

Not sure what this is supposed to mean?   QBs who have won the Heisman historically are not the best NFL quarterback.   

31 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

First, to be clear, I like Hooker, and if Steichen likes him, then I’m fine.   But Hooker had two big strikes against him to start his senior year.   

1.   He was going to be 25 in his NFL rookie season.   That’s very old for a rookie. 

2.   At Tenn he played in a college system that evaluators say doesn’t translate well to the NFL game.   

So, no, I don’t believe Hooker was thought of as the third best QB during his college days.    Levis was ranked higher by a fair number.   Both Kiper and the 33rd team website ranked Levis as the top QB to start the season. 

And, then, Hooker hurt his knee in November.   A major injury that keeps him out of playing and practicing until roughly Aug 1 of 23.  

As much as I like him,  Hooker has an up hill climb. 

12 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Thoughts on my 2 round mock?

Screenshot_20230402-115410_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230402-115422_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230402-115437_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230402-115528_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230402-115539_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230402-115548_Chrome.jpg

Did you pick all 63 picks? If so, it's mostly good. The only pick I hate on this is Eli Ricks. He's outside the top 100 to me. I'd probably switch a few other things around like moving Dawand Jones higher and the Northwestern EDGE higher, but it's solid.

7 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Did you pick all 63 picks? If so, it's mostly good. The only pick I hate on this is Eli Ricks. He's outside the top 100 to me. I'd probably switch a few other things around like moving Dawand Jones higher and the Northwestern EDGE higher, but it's solid.

Yes I picked all 63

If Tennessee trades up to 3, then our chances of drafting Will Anderson skyrockets IMO. That would leave our options as the last remaining QB, Will Anderson, or a possible trade down where we draft someone like a Tyree Wilson or Christian Gonzalez and maybe we trade for Lamar Jackson after picking up a 1st next year and using it in said trade. The other option would be getting Hooker in the 2nd round or in a trade up to the 1st.

Just now, danlhart87 said:

Yes I picked all 63

That takes a lot of effort, you did a good job! Props to you! :thmup:

8 hours ago, richard pallo said:

You just don't grasp the financial aspect. Lamar's better days are behind him he's basically a running back and he's asking for 230 million guaranteed. The Colts need to upgrade several positions and signing Lamar will prevent that. In fact,they will have to cut their talented players like Pittman and Taylor.

There a reason the Ravens are balking.

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I can understand that but the NFL is full of arrogant and loud mouth players. What they do on the field is what matters to me.  Sometimes confidence is confused with arrogance.  

He has all the makings of a prima Donna, headline seeking, woman chasing, stud.

This is what they have to figure out. He has plenty of potential to be a winner otherwise.

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

First, to be clear, I like Hooker, and if Steichen likes him, then I’m fine.   But Hooker had two big strikes against him to start his senior year.   

1.   He was going to be 25 in his NFL rookie season.   That’s very old for a rookie. 

2.   At Tenn he played in a college system that evaluators say doesn’t translate well to the NFL game.   

So, no, I don’t believe Hooker was thought of as the third best QB during his college days.    Levis was ranked higher by a fair number.   Both Kiper and the 33rd team website ranked Levis as the top QB to start the season. 

And, then, Hooker hurt his knee in November.   A major injury that keeps him out of playing and practicing until roughly Aug 1 of 23.  

As much as I like him,  Hooker has an up hill climb. 

Like I said. I don't know that he was ranked above the other guys. Just that he was a Heisman front runner last season.

Also his age is something I don't consider. If any one is worried about the age of the QB then  you should want AR15.   He is the youngest so that gives you more time I guess.

If Streichen does build the system around the QBs strengths then again the offense he ran doesn't bother me. I guess we'd have to rank Hyatt very low too because of the system.

The ACL he is healing from and should be ready to play when they think he will be ready.

I like that value you could get with him and a top DE or OT in the draft  if indeed he falls to the bottom of the 1st.     

10 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Like I said. I don't know that he was ranked above the other guys. Just that he was a Heisman front runner last season.

Also his age is something I don't consider. If any one is worried about the age of the QB then  you should want AR15.   He is the youngest so that gives you more time I guess.

If Streichen does build the system around the QBs strengths then again the offense he ran doesn't bother me. I guess we'd have to rank Hyatt very low too because of the system.

The ACL he is healing from and should be ready to play when they think he will be ready.

I like that value you could get with him and a top DE or OT in the draft  if indeed he falls to the bottom of the 1st.     

Hooker's college system seems to be different from NFL on how the receivers lineup, route trees, in the ways QB reads the field, makes progressions, understand defenses, make throws without progressions and anticipation, targeting the middle of the field between traffic and so on. 

He could be still intelligent in football to know how to adapt to the NFL but that depends on the individual brilliance and that's what coaches and scouts should've learned in interviews with him. Even still it's going to take a lot of projection and faith for teams to trust him to adapt well to the NFL in spite of age, injury, missing the crucial rookie off-season which is the most important for him than any other QBs in this draft. 

Yeah, Hyatt's route running projection also needs to be taken in the same vein, unless he's proven he could already. 

One thing this forum and NFL fans miss in general is that ACL injury usually follows up with hamstring tightness and strain for several months after recovering from ACL and started playing again. It happens to all NFL players that the second season is not a fully healthy season to do all things in full speed and health. Last year, Chris Godwin started week 1 with a tight schedule of recovery of 10-11 months and had to be taken off the field in first game with hamstring strain. Michael Gallup, recovering from ACL injury around the similar recovery timeline, cited that example to point out why he didn't start the season and slowly worked his way into the season. These things happen after the 10 month recovery timeline from ACL tear. It happened to Dalvin Cook and most of the other players as well. 

I want to point out that recovery timeline from ACL injury isn't a ten month process alone, the season after is also a not fully healthy season. Hooker will be ready at full strength to start only in 2024, but that's good for him if his team handles that way, as one year of sitting behind and practicing will do a world of good for him if his football IQ helps him to translate NFL game very well. Teams and fans need to have reasonable expectation due to those reasons. 

Archived