Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 Colts at Vikes Post Game Thoughts

EastStreet

I’ll tell you something as I’ve gotten older I don’t live and die on the wins and losses like I used to when I was younger however, this one is sticking with me. I just feel like out the Lovett team is a punchline for the sports world. I will always be a cult on till the day I die I just have to wonder how Irsay feels right now.. I am sorry to vent about this in my hockey game tonight the other team has a lot of fans from Cincinnati, so I had to hear it. I was so angry I scored three goals. I guess it’s not really anger but disgust

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t think so.  The offense got worse when he went in last time.  I don’t think it’s going to get better this time.  With that said, it’s not like Ryan is untouchable.  If the Colts want to play Sam the last three games or whatever clearly they can but I think people hoping he’s going to do more than Ryan or look better than he did in those two starts are probably lying to themselves.  I think the Colts know this which is why he’s been demoted back to third string.  

You may be right, but I don’t see the practices, and I don’t think 2 games is enough of an evaluation for me, so I don’t think I’m lying to myself.  I honestly just don’t know.  Here’s what would truly be interesting to me.  Let Captains on O and D call the plays.  Can’t be any worse than what we have now.

10 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

You may be right, but I don’t see the practices, and I don’t think 2 games is enough of an evaluation for me, so I don’t think I’m lying to myself.  I honestly just don’t know.  Here’s what would truly be interesting to me.  Let Captains on O and D call the plays.  Can’t be any worse than what we have now.

You have 4 years of film in college. Good kid. But just limited. They've seen all the past film, seen all the practices, and saw two games. To believe he'll become something vastly different, is romanticizing IMO. Not trying to be down on the kid, just realistic. And to make him the starter, likely stunts/slows development from others. 

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

You have 4 years of film in college. Good kid. But just limited. They've seen all the past film, seen all the practices, and saw two games. To believe he'll become something vastly different, is romanticizing IMO. Not trying to be down on the kid, just realistic. And to make him the starter, likely stunts/slows development from others. 

I said this before, and say it to you, I don’t think he’s the next big thing.  I do know this:  Matt Ryan appears done, and Sam could use experience.  That’s one thing he doesn’t have a lot of in the NFL.

4 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

I said this before, and say it to you, I don’t think he’s the next big thing.  I do know this:  Matt Ryan appears done, and Sam could use experience.  That’s one thing he doesn’t have a lot of in the NFL.

I'd love to see him stick in the NFL as a backup. Great kid. 

But doubt he'll be on our 53 next year if we draft a QB. 

We'll likely have a vet mentoring the new rook.

And assuming that happens, not sure if there a benefit for us (trying to further develop him)

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I'd love to see him stick in the NFL as a backup. Great kid. 

But doubt he'll be on our 53 next year if we draft a QB. 

We'll likely have a vet mentoring the new rook.

And assuming that happens, not sure if there a benefit for us (trying to further develop him)

Well if the club is considering him as a back up then why wouldn’t they play him to see if he’s good enough to be a back up?  If a guy with Ryan’s numbers and visually evident limitations is so much better that we can’t even evaluate the talent, then maybe he shouldn’t be considered for back up.

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

Well if the club is considering him as a back up then why wouldn’t they play him to see if he’s good enough to be a back up?  If a guy with Ryan’s numbers and visually evident limitations is so much better that we can’t even evaluate the talent, then maybe he shouldn’t be considered for back up.

Like I said... we'll likely draft a rook QB. And if so, we'll likely have a vet to mentor/backup. 

So if that's our path, Sam likely won't be on the 53. Not saying it will be Ryan. 

Regardless, if we do draft+mentor, then no need to further develop Sam.

And for the "now", the priority is eval and developing keepers. Fair to say Ryan has the best understanding of O, and best chemistry with keepers. 

The only benefit of sitting Ryan, is just to protect his health. But doubt anyone would trade for him. It would be a release/waive (to save 17M).

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Like I said... we'll likely draft a rook QB. And if so, we'll likely have a vet to mentor/backup. 

So if that's our path, Sam likely won't be on the 53. Not saying it will be Ryan. 

Regardless, if we do draft+mentor, then no need to further develop Sam.

And for the "now", the priority is eval and developing keepers. Fair to say Ryan has the best understanding of O, and best chemistry with keepers. 

The only benefit of sitting Ryan, is just to protect his health. But doubt anyone would trade for him. It would be a release/waive (to save 17M).

Yeah.  If it’s me I’m playing Foles not Sam.  I would want to make sure we would want him as a mentor/backup next year.  Don’t want to wind up with another Ryan 2.0 at this stage of his career.  New quarterbacks come into the league every year.  Doubt Sam’s future in the league is a long one.

13 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Yeah.  If it’s me I’m playing Foles not Sam.  I would want to make sure we would want him as a mentor/backup next year.  Don’t want to wind up with another Ryan 2.0 at this stage of his career.  New quarterbacks come into the league every year.  Doubt Sam’s future in the league is a long one.

Personally, doubt Foles is on the roster next year. Sam either. Sam might be on the PS though. 

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Looks like Taylor will be put on IR and his season is over.

I think the time to trade Taylor is this off season when his value is still high.  Easy to blame his decline on the OL and quarterback mess.  Some contender would want him.  I really am worried about his second contract coming up.  His wear and tear is piling up.  I think this is the off season to do it. 

Everyone look on the bright side - we won't have to go back to Minnesota for 8 years.  We'll have plenty of time to forget about it.

Oh no, that's right.  Minnesota was on the schedule as the newly added extra 17th game.  We get to go back to Minnesota in just a year and a half and relive it all again.  

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”

― Hunter S. Thompson, Kingdom of Fear: Loathsome Secrets of a Star-Crossed Child in the Final Days of the American Century

7 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Y'all are rough man. Sam played excellent-ly well in the preseason. Yeah, it was the preseason, but he played WELL. Nick Foles is also probably not the future of this team. He's 33 years old; and we KNOW he can play. I want to KNOW if Sam can play. I think he's got one thing you can't measure --- heart and the ability to make plays. 

44 minutes ago, Gigc said:

Y'all are rough man. Sam played excellent-ly well in the preseason. Yeah, it was the preseason, but he played WELL. Nick Foles is also probably not the future of this team. He's 33 years old; and we KNOW he can play. I want to KNOW if Sam can play. I think he's got one thing you can't measure --- heart and the ability to make plays. 

We are probably going to need a vet backup next season for a rookie. So I get it why we would play Foles. Need to see if we want to keep him as that backup. I think fans are scared Foles is going to play well and win us a couple games as to why they don’t want to see him play. There is a reason he was back up to 2. Matt Ryan had a small leash last two games.

On 12/18/2022 at 2:34 PM, compuls1v3 said:

Nah.  We just need a good/great QB and a good/great play caller.  We have some good pieces in place.  Don't need an entire overhaul on O.

When I say overhaul, I was more so meaning coaching and scheme. Player-wise, a stud QB, game breaking WR, and a top quality LT are all needed.  Otherwise, I agree that personnel-wise, yes, the Colts are almost there on offense. 

On 12/19/2022 at 1:06 AM, compuls1v3 said:

I think I'm with you not sure? I see they give Sam only two games. But everyone forgets about Manning starts? Texans forget too, Davis Mills got one hell of a arm and no help.. Less help than Colts have...NFL teams give up too soon on coaches and QBs.. JMO

On 12/19/2022 at 12:38 AM, compuls1v3 said:

Agreed, Cant go off 2 games and judge a QB.. So many QBs would have never made it after 2 games especially Manning. Irsay doesn't want to see Sam make it, cause then it would make Frank right!! lol I'm kidding but yeah QBs and coaches need more time to fix a team. They need the same amount of time as 6 year losing record Ballard has. JMO

I'm all for giving Ballard another year or whatever meddling Irsay wants to give him... Irsay is the Boss man, just don't see where we will be better than what we have been in Ballards control... Irsay meddling started after saying Frank and Ballard was safe. Then 2 or 3 games later fired Frank after Patriots game... Irsay panicked, plus I don't give a sheets what anyone thinks it will eventually come out and Irsay benched Matt for being injured not Frank!!! But lets move on cause the most importantly thing is this Colts team is just as bad as a mistaken fart....

I don't care.. But bugs me seeing some say we are a Coach and QB away of being good again. Saturday got thrown into a fire. Frank should have never been fired until end of season.. This team is a disgusting to watch and it's missing more than a good coach and a good QB.. It needs a rebuild besides the players that can't be sold over too early and rich contracts... Sorry to be harsh on my team but it's true in my eyes...

9 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

this is funny. This is the Vikings radio announcers. 

Looks like Vikings announcers are so upbeat after having a very good season, that anyone touching the players should be thrown out of the game :excited:

They used to be so gloomy or at best narrative analysts. Could see the difference this time, they're over the moon already. 

1 hour ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Looks like Vikings announcers are so upbeat after having a very good season, that anyone touching the players should be thrown out of the game :excited:

They used to be so gloomy or at best narrative analysts. Could see the difference this time, they're over the moon already. 

I thought it was fake at first and someone put voices over the real announcers but that is the real announcers lol.

On 12/19/2022 at 6:13 AM, Nickster said:

It may also be though, that the team is so bad that sending him out there in this situation would not be a proper evaluation.  You want the rest of the offense to be playing hard and knowing what their doing in order to then evaluate a QB, IMO.

The Vikings were one team that, prior to this, I never had any feeling toward one way or another.  One, Minnesota is like Canada.  At times, you kind of forget it's up there.  Two, it seemed we usually beat them, often fairly easily.  Finally, they never won a Super Bowl and haven't had many franchise QBs.  There was never a reason to hate them.  

Now, for eternity, I'll cringe every time I see their logo and uniforms, thinking back to the glorious Ryan/Saturday season.  Lol

Archived