Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The referees in Dallas

coltsfeva

My dad (rest his soul) was covinced the Dallas Cowboys and the NFL paid off the refs for Cowboys games. (He was an Eagles fan).

I would always argue that would be impractical and dismissed the idea.

While I don’t think that is the case, there were a few calls (and non-calls) last night that were frustrating:

The non-call in the 2nd quarter on the face mask against Matt Ryan and the P.I. on the deep pass that gave Dallas the ball in the red zone (I forgot which player got flagged but the receiver actually collided with the Colt defender).

Initially, I thought Isaiah Rogers had the interception but Jeff Saturday explained that the ball hit the ground and it wouldn’t get overturned. (So close to the int Hooker had, it really is a game of inches).

Any questionable calls/non-calls you felt might have (at very least), made it a closer game?

There is questionable calls in every game every week in the NFL. The refs have been an ongoing problem since I started watching 25 years ago.

I do think its a little far fetched to say that games are rigged at all. Just because of the sheer amount of people who would have to be keeping their mouths shut.

However its not completely out of the realm of possibility as its happened in sports on a few separate occasions. Most recently being the NBA in the 2000s.

Also as if they even needed to pay off the refs to beat us lol. 

2 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

My dad (rest his soul) was covinced the Dallas Cowboys and the NFL paid off the refs for Cowboys games. (He was an Eagles fan).

I would always argue that would be impractical and dismissed the idea.

While I don’t think that is the case, there were a few calls (and non-calls) last night that were frustrating:

The non-call in the 2nd quarter on the face mask against Matt Ryan and the P.I. on the deep pass that gave Dallas the ball in the red zone (I forgot which player got flagged but the receiver actually collided with the Colt defender).

Initially, I thought Isaiah Rogers had the interception but Jeff Saturday explained that the ball hit the ground and it wouldn’t get overturned. (So close to the int Hooker had, it really is a game of inches).

Any questionable calls/non-calls you felt might have (at very least), made it a closer game?

No. We were just that bad. Now the Eagles game, yeah there were several I thought were bogus

Dallas also fumbled on their opening drive and it was blown dead (even though the officials are specifically directed by the league to not blow close plays dead to insure there is a chance for replay if needed).

The Isaiah Rodgers play is baffling to me. It's clearly a pick. Now, I wouldn't have been surprised if it had not been overturned because that's how bad officiating is in the NFL, but it was definitely an interception.

I don't know what to conclude about NFL officiating. At the very least, there's a ton of incompetency. Would not surprise me if down the road there is some sort of revelation revealing rigged games, but I'm sure that would be very, very difficult to prove. Either way, it's beyond crazy that the NFL allows such horrible officiating to continue.

I don't think the refs actually cheat I think they just favor the better team on close calls.  I used to call it the "Marino" rule, but then I changed it to the "Peyton" rule. How does it work? The better teams with the top players get the benefit of the doubt on close calls. Bad teams just don't get the same consideration. I don't think it is even conscious at times.

1 hour ago, ColtsSouljah said:

Dallas also fumbled on their opening drive and it was blown dead (even though the officials are specifically directed by the league to not blow close plays dead to insure there is a chance for replay if needed).

The Isaiah Rodgers play is baffling to me. It's clearly a pick. Now, I wouldn't have been surprised if it had not been overturned because that's how bad officiating is in the NFL, but it was definitely an interception.

I don't know what to conclude about NFL officiating. At the very least, there's a ton of incompetency. Would not surprise me if down the road there is some sort of revelation revealing rigged games, but I'm sure that would be very, very difficult to prove. Either way, it's beyond crazy that the NFL allows such horrible officiating to continue.

They had to throw out that nonsense PF on Franklin when we see WAY worse happen on INTs. How many times do we see guys get absolutely blindsided and destroyed on the same type of play and it goes uncalled? I was beyond surprised they didn’t call PI on the Gilly pick. 

Like I said before, ever since Tim Donahee, it’s impossible to trust any official in any sport! He cant be the only crooked one that cheated, just the only one that’s been caught! Walt Colman, Walt Anderson, and Ron Winter cheated in favor of the Patriots for years!

2 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

that nonsense PF on Franklin

Franklin definitely committed a personal foul--he was lucky not to be ejected. Worse calls were when Pearce was stripped after catch and was down on the ground and when Rodgers (?) had ball bounce off his arm for an interception but refs called it bounced off the ground for incomplete pass.

5 hours ago, craigerb said:

Franklin definitely committed a personal foul--he was lucky not to be ejected. Worse calls were when Pearce was stripped after catch and was down on the ground and when Rodgers (?) had ball bounce off his arm for an interception but refs called it bounced off the ground for incomplete pass.

We’ve all seen way worse and blindside hits on interceptions than what Franklin did go uncalled. That was 100% called to nullify the interception or not allow a challenge. 

Yea officiating is pathetic, has been for over 50 years since I started watching football over 50 years ago. Just get used to it because it's going to around forever. That said, what I thought was interesting about the Rogers interception was on the replay from the angle in front of Rogers and then Franklin in the background hitting Lamb you see the ref behind the play waving his arms and already ruling incomplete pass. How? He was behind Rogers and the receiver, the ball was in front of those two with Rogers on the ground. How could he of seen if that ball had hit the ground in front of or underneath Rogers? Looked like a very quick whistle to save a potential interception from Prescott, in a 2 point game at the time no less.

12 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

My only knock was the Isiah interception, I think that should have been called a pick an not an incomplete. He got his hands underneath.

To me the most outrageous call was the play where the WR pulled the Colts defender into him and they called the Colts for PI.  Even the ref announcer on the game was like are you kidding me?  With that said there were so many problems on Sunday unrelated to the officials I don’t really consider them a factor.  They are going to miss calls in every game.  When you give up over 50 points and lose by almost 40 you have bigger problems than the officials.  

How many face masks have been missed this year in Ryan. I can think of 2 and want to say a 3. They said it wasn't forceful. Bruh was dragging him down and has his face mask. If that was Brady there would be a penalty and a fine. 

Archived