Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Ryan benched for Sam (merge)

John Waylon

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Coltsfan98 said:

If that's the case then it would appear Irsay is fine with bringing back this GM and coaching staff as well. I mean he's basically saying it's all the QB again. The man is out of his fricking mind!

Nowhere did it state that Irsay was fine with his GM and Coach. Let me spell this out. 

He is fronting the checks. No way was he going to pay Ryan the other 17mil as earlier reported. He will lose only 12mil. This is why he pressed to have Ryan benched. Ryan is done in Indy. 

Ryan was getting lambasted behind that terrible pass blocking and the chances of him getting even more injured was glaringly possible. So, you pull him because that 17mil was fully guaranteed for injury.

With that said, Sam is NOT the answer unless he miraculously pulls a Brady-esque miracle out of his hat. 

Pat Kerwin, who is a revered talent evaluator already said Ellinger has serious limitations when this move was announced. Serious limitations. His sentiments mirror other top people around the league including Breer this morning. 

This is the only move that an owner who 1) owns and 2) strokes the checks could make. If he doesn't, Ryan is still under center when he returned from 2nd grade sprain as everyone in that building knows Ryan under center is the only hope there was to winning games and that wasn't happening or going to happen enough for this team to contend. Ryan was only hope for frank's job too, unless Ellingher becomes Brady. 

Ellingher playing is to see if that lump of clay can be molded into something more than what they already know, through his real playing time. 

Don't bank on it. Colts win less than 5 games and get into position to grab QB next season

End of story

3 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

This is going to be fun.

My gut says there will be there will be some instant improvement with Sam because teams don’t know what to expect from him and there isn’t really useful tape on him.  The test will be after a game or two when teams do know what to expect from him and there is tape on him.  If he keeps making good things happen he could be your answer.  If he doesn’t well the Colts will need another new QB after the season.  I just hope he doesn’t play well enough that they win some games and end up about 8-8-1 but not well enough you are comfortable moving forward with him.  I want him to either be really good or really bad.

2 minutes ago, Indeee said:

He is fronting the checks. No way was he going to pay Ryan the other 17mil as earlier reported. He will lose only 12mil. This is why he pressed to have Ryan benched. Ryan is done in Indy. 

I had mentioned this yesterday as well. There has to be a reason for the whole "being benched" narrative. Otherwise, they would just IR him and it wouldn't be nearly the PR circus it is. I am sure they would have preferred that route.

But they are clearly moving on and it seems like they are in damage control. Irsay certainly doesn't want to pay him that $17M. And Ryan isn't going to give up the $12M that it already gtd in his contract.

I think we won't see Ryan anymore and he will be unceremoniously released in Feb and will then retire as a Falcon. 

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I want him to either be really good or really bad.

Of course if he's only average, at least your backup got 10 games of starting experience, and even if you draft a QB Ehlinger may start in the beginning of 2023.  

Lotta ways this could play out.

5 minutes ago, #12. said:

Of course if he's only average, at least your backup got 10 games of starting experience, and even if you draft a QB Ehlinger may start in the beginning of 2023.  

Lotta ways this could play out.

Yeah but he’s ifs average you aren’t going to be in position to draft a new QB in all likely hood.

47 minutes ago, DiogoSales said:

Let's be honest guys:

We were clearly going nowhere with Matt Ryan and this team this year. Even if we somehow make the playoffs, are we winning 3 in a row against Bills/Chiefs/Ravens/Bengals/Titans?

Let's see what Sam has, we can find a guy or we can position ourselves to pick a guy next draft.

The worst thing that can happen is 8-9 wins picking at 18 again with not much trust on the team for 2023.

It's better to end on a horrible way than a horror without end.

The worst thing that could happen is the Colts lose 10 in a row.

But maybe that would be good as a top 5 pick would result 

I don't disagree

I think Sam being a differnce maker is slight.... however...... if we win most of the rest of the games, I would STILL draft a QB next year

Let the loser of the two ride the pine

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

It’s not that I want too Sam fail. It’s that I don’t think he’s a franchise QB at all,

It's not really a stretch for the "Experts" to now point out all of Ehlinger's limitations. He originally was a 6 round pick for a reason. However, he may be the type of of leader who galvanizes the team around him where teammates step up their game in support. That did not appear to happen with Ryan. If Ehlinger can use his feet, protect the ball the team will already be in a better place.

5 minutes ago, #12. said:

Yeah, if you wanted to tank, you would have kept Ryan in there, honestly.

Honestly Ryan would probably have gotten them about there if Sam is average.  Either way that decision has been made so now it’s about the future and what’s in the best interest of the Colts future is Sam either being really good or really bad not in between.

Sam's height could be a factor in how much success we have. If I'm Washington, I'm studying the Bears film against Zappe from last night. The d-line could have a field day batting passes down if they get their hands up. Sam will need to get out into space to make plays similar to the 2012-14 version of Russell Wilson. 

8 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Sam's height could be a factor in how much success we have. If I'm Washington, I'm studying the Bears film against Zappe from last night. The d-line could have a field day batting passes down if they get their hands up. Sam will need to get out into space to make plays similar to the 2012-14 version of Russell Wilson. 

People knock Sam about his height (6’1)but he’s the same height as drew Brees….taller than Russell Wilson……check this out https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/who-are-shortest-tallest-quarterbacks-nfl?amp

32 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

The worst thing that could happen is the Colts go something like 8-8-1 don’t get a high draft pick and you are left going Sam is okay but I don’t think I want him as the full time starter going forward.  

4 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

People knock Sam about his height (6’1)but he’s the same height as drew Brees….taller than Russell Wilson……check this out https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/who-are-shortest-tallest-quarterbacks-nfl?amp

Who cares about Sam’s height. The best thing to do is except the season is over, and enjoy watching the kid play.

Maybe he’ll play well or maybe not. 

This excites me more than being sold we are in win now mode. 

31 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Win 5 out of this 10 scoring 13 ppg, not going to playoffs, having a 15-18 draft slot and not knowing if Sam can go is worse for sure.

I think Matt told Reich and the Colts to stick it. Watching his body language since the first game he has not been a happy camper. When he took the team down the field and Reich put Hines in in the wild cat Ryan went to the bench and was very disgusted. It was midweek prior to the last Jacksonville game that he was upbeat and said they were changing up the 1st and 2nd down play calls and went up tempo and he called a lot of audibles. I think he is tired of getting the 'it' kick out of him and the game is no longer fun and he has very little input in the play calling. I do think he is injured but not season ending.

Anxious to see what Sam can do. I'm more reserved than most on here but would welcome a big surprise.

1 minute ago, MPStack said:

Who cares about Sam’s height. The best thing to do is except the season is over, and enjoy watching the kid play.

Maybe he’ll play well or maybe not. 

This excites me more than being sold we are in win now mode. 

Agree, at least now we have a good reason to watch.

I did not even saw the last Titans game, somehow I knew we would lay an egg.

2 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

According to this, Ryan will not play another down for the Colts because of his contract

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/10/25/matt-ryans-contract-is-the-main-reason-he-wont-play-for-the-colts-again-this-year/

...Ryan’s contract already pays him $12 million in base salary next year, fully guaranteed. But millions more would become fully guaranteed if Ryan suffers an injury that keeps him from passing a physical by the third day of the 2023 league year in March, when the payments that are currently guaranteed for injury become fully guaranteed.

Specifically, Ryan has $7.205 million in additional 2023 salary guaranteed for injury, and a 2023 roster bonus of $10 million, which is also guaranteed for injury. That’s $17.205 million that the Colts would potentially owe Ryan (in addition to the $12 million) if he emerges from the 2022 season with an injury that prevents him from passing a physical by the middle of March.

That’s why Ryan won’t be playing again for the Colts in 2022...

So basically Irsay stepped in and said no more. Not sure I like that level of meddling from an owner. You pay a GM and head coach to run your team and put the best product on the field. Let them do their jobs or find someone else who you think will do it better.

40 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I don't disagree

I think Sam being a differnce maker is slight.... however...... if we win most of the rest of the games, I would STILL draft a QB next year

Let the loser of the two ride the pine

Yup. Gotta draft a QB no matter what.

1 minute ago, DiogoSales said:

So that says a lot, this was a planned move then.

I was starting to notice that Matt was really forcing his throws in the Denver game. Like, he was putting his entire body into it. And some of those throws were still ducks. 

He was making completions, but there's a good amount of tape out there of his throws in a Colts uniform having low velocity. Yes. This may have been planned after quickly realizing his physical abilities were fading.

9 minutes ago, FanOutOfTown said:

So basically Irsay stepped in and said no more. Not sure I like that level of meddling from an owner. You pay a GM and head coach to run your team and put the best product on the field. Let them do their jobs or find someone else who you think will do it better.

You also don’t just sit around and watch nobody show up to your games because you suck.  This directly impacts his income to let this dumpster fire burn like a Russian tank.

He probably told Ballard “you try something drastic now or bye bye”

3 minutes ago, Catloaf said:

You also don’t just sit around and watch nobody show up to your games because you suck.  This directly impacts his income to let this dumpster fire burn like a Russian tank.

He probably told Ballard “you try something drastic now or bye bye”

So what if Ehlinger is awful? Do you think fans will show up? Nah they won’t. This will be 2 seasons in a row the owner has forced a move from the GM. That same owner had to sign off on bringing in Wentz and Ryan. So again either let your football people do their thing or find somebody who more aligns with your vision. Just seems like a very slippery slope to me.

9 minutes ago, Gramz said:

I'm thinking that

"Matt Ryan suffered grade 2 shoulder sprain and Sam Ehlinger will now be starting at QB"

...is a more accurate description than....

Ryan has been benched.

But that's just my take.

It was until Reich said this move was coming even without the injury.

18 minutes ago, Gramz said:

I'm thinking that

"Matt Ryan suffered grade 2 shoulder sprain and Sam Ehlinger will now be starting at QB"

...is a more accurate description than....

Ryan has been benched.

But that's just my take.

Did you watch the press conference frank said Sam would of started even if Matt was healthy . He also said it’s for the entire year .Matt’s injury would only keep him out a couple weeks not 11 weeks .

Archived