Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Ryan benched for Sam (merge)

John Waylon

I have went through all these posts and it seems roughly 80% of people are thrilled with this move. So if Sam is a complete bust, does 80% of the forum have to "own up"  

1. Matt is injured 

2. By frank saying that Sam will be the starter the rest of the season is odd when we are 3-3-1. I hope Sam tears it up but for Matt not to even have chance at a deep playoff run like I predicted means I don't have to own up to anything. Playing Sam is Frank's choice, let's hope it doesn't back fire because as of now we are pretty even with around 8 teams in the AFC. Really only Buffalo and KC are clearly better than the others. Almost every one in the AFC is basically playing. 500 ball or close to it. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

i have a feeling those who were calling for a Irsay to order a change may have gotten their wish.

I liked Ryan and feel the problems were beyond him but I am hoping the best for Sam and hope he’s the next Tom Brady although I am skeptical he will be.  

Wash your mouth out GC…the next Peyton Manning

14 hours ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

Sam is going to make the Colts exciting and fun to watch again. Nobody knows how well he will do against a proper NFL team but a new hope is born in this otherwise completely lackluster franchise. 

This is how I’m feeling right now. I’m actually quite excited about our next game now, fed up with the bland stop gap QB’s, onwards and upwards

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have went through all these posts and it seems roughly 80% of people are thrilled with this move. So if Sam is a complete bust, does 80% of the forum have to "own up"  

1. Matt is injured 

2. By frank saying that Sam will be the starter the rest of the season is odd when we are 3-3-1. I hope Sam tears it up but for Matt not to even have chance at a deep playoff run like I predicted means I don't have to own up to anything. Playing Sam is Frank's choice, let's hope it doesn't back fire because as of now we are pretty even with around 8 teams in the AFC. Really only Buffalo and KC are clearly better than the others. Almost every one in the AFC is basically playing. 500 ball or close to it. 

I’ll be happy to buddy. We have nothing to lose with this move imo.

5 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

People should be very concerned for the future. Irsay appears to have gone off the rails since the end of last year and now the owners meeting with Snyder. Now he seems to be involved with the jettinsing of Wentz and now the benching of Ryan. No future GM or coach wants to walk into that

No dispute about this.  The term “tantrum” is all I questioned.  :^)

14 hours ago, jonjon said:

? By who? Certainly not by the team or any fan with a clue. Yeah he shares the blame for our O for sure, but we've been banged up and our OL is one of the worst in the league. An aging, not-so-mobile QB and a bad OL is a ridiculous combo and that's on Ballard. 

Expectations for me for Sam E are modest at most. He's not the answer. But he has the chance to prove otherwise. The killer is that we can't afford to let Ryan go next year and have to hope that if we rebuild the OL he is viable again. We have little choice but to try. 

That’s not true. If your done with Matt, you can’t afford to keep him past the 3rd day of the 2023 season. 

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

1. Matt is injured 

I’ll own up to it right now. I don’t care if we lose every game from here on out. This tells me Irsay isn’t messing around and will clean house if this team doesn’t start looking competent. The offense has looked embarrassing. 

I don’t think Sam will save us. I just hope he makes the line look competent again. 

6 hours ago, Coltsbluefan said:

Reich and Ballard know what’s coming,this move screams they’re both gone at the end of the season.It’s been long overdue for a complete rebuild,well it’s coming at the end of the season.

I hope so. After about 3-4 years, a head coach and GM needs to start being flexible with their philosophies if they know it’s not working to maximize what the team can achieve. 5 years should be plenty of time for a team to be division winners if you have combined drafting and FA to put talent on the field. I don’t see that happening here.

We are short of talent at some key positions and have a less than stellar offensive philosophy, IMO.

10 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

And one more for all u people who lambasted me over the years. I said Irsay was heavily involved at the beginning of the season. I felt he had taken some power away from Ballard and injected himself, good or bad, into making personal decisions.

Keep reading. You'll find Reich say Irsay has always been a part of a "collective" trio of decision makers Reich, Ballard and Irsay.

10 hours ago, RollerColt said:

Probably not a good thing. But his health seems to be in decline. He's getting up there in age and maybe he's realizing there's not much time left to personally see his team succeed. I don't know, I'm just throwing stuff out there... 

Jim is only 63. He isn’t that old at all

6 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

Jim is only 63. He isn’t that old at all

Yep, You're right. Although 63 can be young for some of us, 63 can be old for others. And right now... he's looking older than his age. Seemed to be having a bit of a struggle to walk after the Titans game... 

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

1. Matt is injured 

Lets be honest. Reich and Ballard seem like drawing the remaining lines of the Hangman puzzle for their futures at this point. Shiny new toy, is what Sam E is, and we will find out how well he can do. One band aid to another is what is being tried. For the Colts sake, I hope it works. Will support the move, whether it backfires or not.

10 hours ago, skerfalcon8710 said:

Irsay clearly came in and demanded this change, naming Sam the starter for the rest of the season when they could have just said Ryan is hurt and will be out at least 4 weeks. If Sam plays well then you roll with him. Now you are backed into a corner. If Sam flops what are y’all gonna do? Hope that you suck more than Hou, Det, NO, & Car so you can maybe get a QB? It just a cruddy way to back the bus over Matt Ryan claiming Sam as the starter for the next 10 games when your still in the thick of playoff contention lol. Ryan and the country go sold a lie regarding an “all pro line” and a dominant running game. 

maybe you can trade for Mac Jones as he just got benched in NE. 

While I understand your sentiment, and don’t doubt it, do bear in mind that Irsay demanding it is an unconfirmed speculation at this stage. He may very well have, but we don’t know that for a fact 

15 hours ago, MPStack said:

Crickets from the Ballard lovers.

im not a Ballard lover but I thought he was good.  His downfall (which is ultimately the reason why we are where we are) is his stubbornness to not spend money and attack free agency to fill needs we couldn’t fill through the draft.  Not saying to be free agent champs every year, but if we have a position of need and there’s a quality player in free agency, GO GET HIM.  Yeah you’re going to have to over pay, it happens.  Just over pay for the right player. 

I think he’s drafted well.  We had a foundation pretty much 2 years removed from luck.  But when you look at our free agent acquisitions, they either didn’t pan out or we didn’t resign them.  That is what led to his downfall.

10 hours ago, skerfalcon8710 said:

Both Picks? 4 seconds? Your joking on that first int. It was an untouched blitz off the left side lol. The second one yea it was a bad decision trying to get it to Pittman. I’m not defending him on that. 

he had them moving with a chance to take the lead until Pittman decided to fumble too. While playing with a separated shoulder. 

you better hope they have a very solid plan for Sam or they will all be wearing clown makeup 

When Pittman fumbled, we were down 2 scores (9 points), wit no timeouts and around or less than 3 mins on the clock in the 4th quarter IIRC...

Edit, ignore this, i just read the comments immediately following your one above and saw that like 3 or 4 people already pointed this out. Sorry.

24 minutes ago, csmopar said:

While I understand your sentiment, and don’t doubt it, do bear in mind that Irsay demanding it is an unconfirmed speculation at this stage. He may very well have, but we don’t know that for a fact 

I’m pretty sure he did.  He sees what everyone sees, a team that isn’t going to make it.  He’s ready to blow it up and I would be too.  I actually wanted to go into this with Sam as the starter prior to us getting Ryan.  Thought Ryan was the answer but he’s not.  Rather hit the button now than waiting and compromising draft position.  See what talent you’re going to keep, what talent you’re going to let go, and get ready for an ACTUAL rebuild.

7 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

im not a Ballard lover but I thought he was good.  His downfall (which is ultimately the reason why we are where we are) is his stubbornness to not spend money and attack free agency to fill needs we couldn’t fill through the draft.  Not saying to be free agent champs every year, but if we have a position of need and there’s a quality player in free agency, GO GET HIM.  Yeah you’re going to have to over pay, it happens.  Just over pay for the right player. 

I think he’s drafted well.  We had a foundation pretty much 2 years removed from luck.  But when you look at our free agent acquisitions, they either didn’t pan out or we didn’t resign them.  That is what led to his downfall.

He did spend money, just in the wrong positions. He's actually spent over $120 million dollars on QBs since he's been here. 

5 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

I’m pretty sure he did.  He sees what everyone sees, a team that isn’t going to make it.  He’s ready to blow it up and I would be too.  I actually wanted to go into this with Sam as the starter prior to us getting Ryan.  Thought Ryan was the answer but he’s not.  Rather hit the button now than waiting and compromising draft position.  See what talent you’re going to keep, what talent you’re going to let go, and get ready for an ACTUAL rebuild.

I don’t disagree either. I’m just saying we don’t know for a fact 

3 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

He did spend money, just in the wrong positions. He's actually spent over $120 million dollars on QBs since he's been here. 

qb wasn’t our only position of need.  To add, there were times we should’ve targeted certain players and he came out and said it would be too expensive.  

4 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

qb wasn’t our only position of need.  To add, there were times we should’ve targeted certain players and he came out and said it would be too expensive.  

Exactly. It was too expensive because we were spending too much money on other players. We're currently paying nearly $28 million for two guys who aren't starting as QB for the rest of the season... 

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

1. Matt is injured 

The offense under Matt is averaging 13 points a game and Matt has 11 fumbles 9 picks . 

If Sam just doesn’t turn the ball over and can average 230 yards and one touchdown a game it will be an improvement.   

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

1. Matt is injured 

Well at this point, Matt is done.  You don't really renege on naming another starting quarterback for the duration of the season when your starter has a strained shoulder (which is what, a month long injury at most?).  No this is the front office throwing in the towel on this season, but hopeful Ehlinger is at least a legitimate short term solution.  If he gets us to the playoffs, I don't think we're not addressing the QB position in the draft.  We still will unless he comes in and has a Patrick Mahomes-esque start to his career (dude had like 20 TDs and 0 INTs and 400 yards a game or something crazy if you recall).  

We can hope for that kind of start (which who doesn't?), but my reserved more realistic hope is that he comes in and plays like Tannehill, won't light up the box score, but he can convert 3rd and long when we need to put points on the board and occasionally take advantage of broken coverage for the long score.  

But no matter what happens, the OL needs to be better. They just have to or SE isn't going to have a fate any better than Matt Ryan. Which, PS on Ryan - I am personally proud of myself to adhere to my strong desire to never call him Matty Ice for the man's entire career, because it's probably really over.

1 minute ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Well at this point, Matt is done.  You don't really renege on naming another starting quarterback for the duration of the season when your starter has a strained shoulder (which is what, a month long injury at most?).  No this is the front office throwing in the towel on this season, but hopeful Ehlinger is at least a legitimate short term solution.  If he gets us to the playoffs, I don't think we're not addressing the QB position in the draft.  We still will unless he comes in and has a Patrick Mahomes-esque start to his career (dude had like 20 TDs and 0 INTs and 400 yards a game or something crazy if you recall).  

We can hope for that kind of start (which who doesn't?), but my reserved more realistic hope is that he comes in and plays like Tannehill, won't light up the box score, but he can convert 3rd and long when we need to put points on the board and occasionally take advantage of broken coverage for the long score.  

But no matter what happens, the OL needs to be better. They just have to or SE isn't going to have a fate any better than Matt Ryan. Which, PS on Ryan - I am personally proud of myself to adhere to my strong desire to never call him Matty Ice for the man's entire career, because it's probably really over.

The one credit I give Ballard is he doesn’t double down on QBs . When wentz started playing bad he traded him and sane with Ryan .  The worst thing you can do is double down and keep these guys hoping they change .   

16 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I imagine there will be a split in the fan base. Some wanting Sam to succeed and some hoping it fails so we can get a QB in the draft. Even if he succeeds there will be some that think we need better. 

I hope he succeeds, tanking is a loser mentality, especially in a league full of parity and we are 3-3-1. Only time I was for tanking was in 2011 but not until we were 0-8 and I knew Andrew Luck was there in 2012.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Many in the forum wanted Mac Jones, then they were bragging about Zappe last week as well, those guys stink. Belichick is never winning anything with them lmao . Bears made them look like fools last night. I am praying Sam is good but I have my doubts. 

Twitter was lighting up last night with chatter of Mac Jones being the next Colt after he was benched. I think I'm done with getting every other team's leftovers. I'm ready for a fresh start with a drafted QB, knowing it won't be pretty. I'm not expecting us to have a shot at an "Andrew Luck" caliber QB for many years, if ever again though. 

12 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I think Matt is done as well. When you have a coach and a GM that doesn't believe in you, I would be done and would move back to Atlanta if I was Matt. Giving up on a QB that is at least .500 is the oddest thing I have ever seen. Usually FO's do that when a team starts 0-5 or worse. Matt wasn't playing anyway for at least 2 or 3 weeks because of his injury but the whole Frank saying "for the rest of the season" is mind blowing. My uncle told me Frank needs to go because if Matt is healthy he should play. 

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Many in the forum wanted Mac Jones, then they were bragging about Zappe last week as well, those guys stink. Belichick is never winning anything with them lmao . Bears made them look like fools last night. I am praying Sam is good but I have my doubts. 

Losing McDaniels has hurt their offense. For good QB success, you need stability in offensive play calling with the same QB for a few years. When you have 2 QBs, you have none.

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

Twitter was lighting up last night with chatter of Mac Jones being the next Colt after he was benched. I think I'm done with getting every other team's leftovers. I'm ready for a fresh start with a drafted QB, knowing it won't be pretty. I'm not expecting us to have a shot at an "Andrew Luck" caliber QB for many years, if ever again though. 

If we went after Mac Jones I would puke.

Just now, chad72 said:

Losing McDaniels has hurt their offense. For good QB success, you need stability in offensive play calling with the same QB for a few years. When you have 2 QBs, you have none.

Add on top of that an ex defensive coordinator calling plays on the offense, and well that's what they get... 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree with this! We already have 3 wins though, we would probably have to lose out to get him lmao . I see him going top 5.

You have to do what you have to do. If that means trading JT and 2 first rounders to move up to get the QB, you do it.

Archived