Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

When it comes to the Colts, are you an Optimist, Pessimist or Cynic?

coltsfeva

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I think numbers, analytics, and data play a role in our everyday lives. @EastStreet is the smartest poster on this forum when it comes to stats. There is no 2nd place. Generally people should use them to their advantage. I think Vegas is a good tool. However, even it updates throughout the year, and longshots come in. Colts fans could probably gain an advantage on Vegas only making Colts bets, and the more honest (or realistic) you are as a fan, the more likely you are to be able to learn these things with certainty as long as you're honest and can set aside being optimistic or pessimistic.

See my above posts, I agree with most everything you just said about @EastStreet

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

What is the probability that so many of the team's talented players have poor performance problems all at the same time?

Generally if all of those players had a 50/50 chance of being good or bad, then it'd just be 2 to the whatever power to determine the answer. However, true probability doesn't work like that in football. You have to base it on talent, where they were drafted, are they in the right scheme, are they getting playing time. Lots of factors go into it. If you can form all the info into a certain percentage for every player and break it down into one equation, then you can get an answer. I don't know if that's possible though.

1 minute ago, CoachLite said:

If the attitude shifts from Reich to the Colts in general, we are going to have major problems for years.

The crash (the last two games last year) was concerning. The team looked like they quit, especially vs Jax. And saw the same thing this year. If not fixed soon, could be ugly. 

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

Generally if all of those players had a 50/50 chance of being good or bad, then it'd just be 2 to the whatever power to determine the answer. However, true probability doesn't work like that in football. You have to base it on talent, where they were drafted, are they in the right scheme, are they getting playing time. Lots of factors go into it. If you can form all the info into a certain percentage for every player and break it down into one equation, then you can get an answer. I don't know if that's possible though.

If they played at a good - great level in the past, then that performance falls off a cliff, either they're injured or developed a serious attitude problem (quiet quitting).

42 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Realist is just an opinion though, you may think we stink and in your mind you are being a realist. I can say I am a realist but in my mind I can also think we can salvage the season. I think you are more of a pessimist - nothing against you because I can see why. We laid an egg Sunday. You are either positive, negative, or a cynic and being a cynic is the worse kind of person because you can't have a normal debate/convo with them. 

People can  be driven by ego.  The different traits of optomist, pessimist, or realist emerge situationally to satisfy the ego. 

A strong self-centric ego will think they are right and will form conclusions quickly.  Then to validate that they are right, they will become an optimist or a pessimist depending upon what the situation calls for, but tell themselves they are being a realist at all times.    

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

People can  be driven by ego.  The different traits of optomist, pessimist, or realist emerge situationally to satisfy the ego. 

A strong self-centric ego will think they are right and will form conclusions quickly.  Then to validate that they are right, they will become an optimist or a pessimist depending upon what the situation calls for, but tell themselves they are being a realist at all times.    

Couldn't find a .gif of Al Pacino saying "Vanity, it's my favorite sin..." from The Devil's Advocate, so this is close enough. :) 

the it crowd vanity GIF

I am an optimist and I dont apologize for that. I follow sports to have fun. I dont find always trying to be right, fun. At all. 

I am a fan because I love to go to the games and enjoy the atmosphere in the stadium, tailgate beforehand, celebrate the victories afterwards, be with real life friends, etc. 

To me, that is enhanced with optimism, as are most things in life. 

I wouldnt go to the movies with the attitude that "this movie is probably gonna suck because it has a rotten tomatoes score of 46" and claim Im just being realistic. I wouldn't go on vacation with the attitude that "this is probably gonna be a waste of money because the hotel only got 3 stars" and call myself a realist. So why would I ever go to the Colts game and feel like we are gonna lose? Makes no sense to me. At the end of the day its entertainment, I have nothing at stake here. So why try so hard to be realistic? What does that do for you? I dont get it and I never will. 

You appreciate what you got. You make the most of what you have. And you dream until your dreams come true. Those are my 3 rules of life. I cant do any of that being pessimistic. I have no time for that.

2 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

On the other hand, just threatening to "fire you ***" isn't part of real solutions.

Quiet quitters is a serious problem. 

And you can't just threaten... lol... Attempt to engage and correct. And it doesn't work, find someone else. 

5 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

I am an optimist and I dont apologize for that. I follow sports to have fun. I dont find always trying to be right, fun. At all. 

I am a fan because I love to go to the games and enjoy the atmosphere in the stadium, tailgate beforehand, celebrate the victories afterwards, be with real life friends, etc. 

To me, that is enhanced with optimism, as are most things in life. 

I wouldnt go to the movies with the attitude that "this movie is probably gonna suck because it has a rotten tomatoes score of 46" and claim Im just being realistic. I wouldn't go on vacation with the attitude that "this is probably gonna be a waste of money because the hotel only got 3 stars" and call myself a realist. So why would I ever go to the Colts game and feel like we are gonna lose? Makes no sense to me. At the end of the day its entertainment, I have nothing at stake here. So why try so hard to be realistic? What does that do for you? I dont get it and I never will. 

You appreciate what you got. You make the most of what you have. And you dream until your dreams come true. Those are my 3 rules of life. I cant do any of that being pessimistic. I have no time for that.

happy homer simpson GIF-TD with that post!

This post is funny as I was thinking about posting something like this @EastStreet

I would say I'm a realist. I like to understand the negatives but point out the positives. Being one who has dealt with mental health issues and have seen issues with that I like this approach as you account for the negatives bur  see there is hope. 

I voted optimist. I'm just thankful to be able to watch a game I love played by a bunch of overpaid jocks having fun. And i can root for a team I enjoy rooting for ever since they moved here as I was only 5 at the time so I just became a homer I guess and have stuck threw thick and thin with them. 

I'll be the first to say with the Colts I try to stay optimistic. But it's time to start being pessimistic as to whether this team is built right and whether this regime will ever figure it out. 

I am optimistic there are brighter days ahead after Ballard and Reich are out of Indy, albiet longer than some would like.

Generally, just based on the situation that the Colts are in (winning or not), I'm really not too much in favor of the extreme optimist or pessimist. These are the extremists that are always going to have a certain viewpoint, no matter how the team is performing. Generally when the Colts are winning, the optimists are wonderful because they are fun to talk to as everyone is happy, and the pessimists are frustrating because people are trying to be happy.  Likewise, if the Colts are doing bad, then the general concencus is to pick them apart and figure out what's wrong. The negative people in this case are correct and the positive people make things worse by trying to point out positives in a conversation where no one wants to hear it. 

This is why it would be perfect if everyone could "adapt to the situation" and know when to be positive and negative. You don't have to choose one all the time. This board is very intelligent, but there are extremist outliers. If people could acknowledge both sides when the time called for it, I think we'd all get along much better. However, we all have different opinions, so this will never truly happen. 

12 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Well.....knowing the colts history the last Half Century(outside of Polian/Manning era) and how their not exactly the most fortunate/liked team in the League, I will say that I am a Realist. 

To me being a realist would be like if we had a team in 2011. Someone in 2011 could ask me, hey the Colts are 0-8 - do you think we will make the playoffs? I would say NO being a realistic because we stink and won't make the playoffs, that is obviously a realist. At that point it isn't an opinion. Being a pessimist would be if we were 4-4 and someone said NO, being an optimist would be, YES we still have a chance. Being a Cynic would be, we suck, fire everyone, we will never be good with this regime, and we will go 4-12.

I'm an optimist!

"Research tells us that people who are optimistic are more committed to their goals, are more successful in achieving their goals, are more satisfied with their lives, and have better mental and physical health when compared to more pessimistic people."

:thinking:

I may need to change my answer. 

I’ll flag myself as a pessimist, that’s certainly what most here would say. 

I’ll add though, that by nature I look for problems and issues to fix. It’s not that I can’t say the Colts are a good team (when we are, in which case I frequently do). But even if we end up 14-2-1 I’d still be looking for us to get better. Some people can’t handle that - I’m not apologizing for it. Deal with it or block me. I’ll post what I think I see, not what you want to read. 

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To me being a realist would be like if we had a team in 2011. Someone in 2011 could ask me, hey the Colts are 0-8 - do you think we will make the playoffs? I would say NO being a realistic because we stink and won't make the playoffs, that is obviously a realist. At that point it isn't an opinion. Being a pessimist would be if we were 4-4 and someone said NO, being an optimist would be, YES we still have a chance. Being a Cynic would be, we suck, fire everyone, we will never be good with this regime, and we will go 4-12.

Generally, to me, being a realist is going with the odds on something and following that opinion or recognizing a pattern and going with what is obvious. To me, if we lose in Denver, we probably miss the playoffs because of the divisional record, the AFC record, and the morale of the team. That's being a realist. I technically can't prove it yet, but the odds point toward it, and I'm using facts to support my argument. 

Being an optimist is more based on faith, and there needs to be something behind it. Pessimism isn't really based on faith unless you want to lose, but it's based on patterns and facts more like realism, which is why pessimists and realists are lumped together by optimists. 

Cynics are generally frustrating to deal with, that's usually the last resort for people, and where pessimists sometimes go towards.

3 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I’ll flag myself as a pessimist, that’s certainly what most here would say. 

I’ll add though, that by nature I look for problems and issues to fix. It’s not that I can’t say the Colts are a good team (when we are, in which case I frequently do). But even if we end up 14-2-1 I’d still be looking for us to get better. Some people can’t handle that - I’m not apologizing for it. Deal with it or block me. I’ll post what I think I see, not what you want to read. 

I am ok with that because being Pessimist is a lot better than being Cynic. I can see why you are a pessimist, we crapped the bed on Sunday.

Just like politics let’s group people and argue about what they are or aren’t.

I don’t think this team this year wins the division or makes the playoffs, but I’m still excited and happy to watch them every week, and I’m still enthusiastic about the team going forward because changes can always happen at any given time. But I can also be disappointed and discouraged by what has been built (or not built) over this current F.O. regime. I don’t need to classify as any of the above, I’m a fan, that’s what I classify myself as. As a fan I can feel good, bad, or indifferent about any particular part of team sports and this Colts team. As a fan I appreciate everyone’s opinion and each is just as important as the nexts. We may not agree on this, that, or the other but at the end of the day I’m glad you are all a fellow fan and that’s all that matters IMO.

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Generally, to me, being a realist is going with the odds on something and following that opinion or recognizing a pattern and going with what is obvious. To me, if we lose in Denver, we probably miss the playoffs because of the divisional record, the AFC record, and the morale of the team. That's being a realist. I technically can't prove it yet, but the odds point toward it, and I'm using facts to support my argument. 

Being an optimist is more based on faith, and there needs to be something behind it. Pessimism isn't really based on faith unless you want to lose, but it's based on patterns and facts more like realism, which is why pessimists and realists are lumped together by optimists. 

Cynics are generally frustrating to deal with, that's usually the last resort for people, and where pessimists sometimes go towards.

I have even said if we lose Thursday I will be more on the pessimistic side regarding making the playoffs, odds will be long at that point.

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

His ego hurts my feelings. I just want to be loved. I want to cry when he calls out my silly stuff. Perhaps I should try a friendship bracelet. Do you have any crayons?

See, that's why I can't teach elementary level. My wife has taught K-5 for years and I'm perfectly fine in my little bubble of middle school chaos lmao... 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have even said if we lose Thursday I will be more on the pessimistic side regarding making the playoffs, odds will be long at that point.

That's the normal reaction. For each new event that happens, and as more and more of a sample size comes in, you reform and update your opinion so it becomes more and more correct based on what's happening. We aren't always right in the beginning, but we can be right as we gain information. You are doing that, and that is the right way to react to the team.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To me being a realist would be like if we had a team in 2011. Someone in 2011 could ask me, hey the Colts are 0-8 - do you think we will make the playoffs? I would say NO being a realistic because we stink and won't make the playoffs, that is obviously a realist. At that point it isn't an opinion. Being a pessimist would be if we were 4-4 and someone said we NO, being an optimist would be, YES we still have a chance. Being a Cynic would be, we suck, fire everyone, we will never be good with this regime, and we will go 4-12.

Well my "Realistic" view on this season is we're 1-2-1 and not playing well, but still only like a.half game out of first place. And knowing that the colts often start bad and then start to play better..I think the colts have a realistic chance to contend for the division if the titans & jags don't take off which I don't expect them to.

Contending for this sorry division or finishing in a.distant 3rd place won't change my opinion of us being a second or third rate organization in this league, but many other teams are too. 

And regardless of what happens, I DON'T LIKE Reich or Ballard and would like to see them gone.

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am ok with that because being Pessimist is a lot better than being Cynic. I can see why you are a pessimist, we crapped the bed on Sunday.

First half was nearly unwatchable in my opinion, but I feel like we played a MUCH better 2nd half. There’re things to build off. 

Here’s the issue:
We have 5 division games in the first 7 weeks of this season. If we end up 0-4-1 in the division by the end of week 7 this season is over. Slow starts are killing us this year. 

6 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

That's the normal reaction. For each new event that happens, and as more and more of a sample size comes in, you reform and update your opinion so it becomes more and more correct based on what's happening. We aren't always right in the beginning, but we can be right as we gain information. You are doing that, and that is the right way to react to the team.

Yeah if we fall to 1-3-1 the odds look bad statistically and by Vegas. 2-2-1 we are still ok.

4 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

First half was nearly unwatchable in my opinion, but I feel like we played a MUCH better 2nd half. There’re things to build off. 

Here’s the issue:
We have 5 division games in the first 7 weeks of this season. If we end up 0-4-1 in the division by the end of week 7 this season is over. Slow starts are killing us this year. 

After we fell behind 24-3, I still thought we would come back because Matt heats up when way behind. We didn't but made it interesting. What disturbs me is all these slow starts. We need to jump on Denver fast and get a 2 score lead because they are more of a mess than we are IMO.

Archived