Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

When it comes to the Colts, are you an Optimist, Pessimist or Cynic?

coltsfeva

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have even said if we lose Thursday I will be more on the pessimistic side regarding making the playoffs, odds will be long at that point.

A loss on Thursday won't put us in too steep of a hole to climb out of. The main thing that will be too hard to overcome in this division is not so much the losses or our division foes, But why we're losing and how we're playing. If the colts play tough on Thursday but still lose that's encouraging.....and if a loss leads to 'Frank-Be-Gone' then thats even more encouraging!!! A shot in the arm and a probable upgrade regardless who the interim is.

You had high hopes for a division title this season and even with a loss it still very attainable, but someone has to Right the ship, and Reich is not the best candidate to do that.

But Realistically, its actually not in Frank's hands, its in the hands of the Football Gods. We just have to.wait & see &  what they want. haha

1 minute ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

A loss on Thursday won't put us in too steep of a hole to climb out of. The main thing that will be too hard to overcome in this division is not so much the losses or our division foes, But why we're losing and how we're playing. If the colts play tough on Thursday but still lose that's encouraging.....and if a loss leads to 'Frank-Be-Gone' then thats even more encouraging!!! A shot in the arm and a probable upgrade regardless who the interim is.

You had high hopes for a division title this season and even with a loss it still very attainable, but someone has to Right the ship, and Reich is not the best candidate to do that.

But Realistically, its actually not in Frank's hands, its in the hands of the Football Gods. We just have to.wait & see &  what they want. haha

IMO we need to win the next 3 games, if that happens we will be sitting real good.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Nothing wrong with that. You rarely bash the team brother, you just think we are average and maybe we are. I have my doubts too but I don't get in here saying fire everyone (when I am not being sarcastic) Homer Simpson GIF

I mean at this point, I'm starting to think there's a problem in the locker room.  Whether it's between players or coaches or something.   You sorta get the slow starts having a new QB every year.  But it wasn't this bad when it was luck, to JB, to Rivers, to Wentz.  Slow starts, maybe yes.  1-2 win team through a 4 weeks, yes.  But this start is something worse.  We look like a practice team out there.  Even Matt Ryan had his stretches of turning the ball over a lot.  But has he or any other QB put the ball on the turf 9 times in 4 weeks.  NINE!  And that doesn't even include interceptions.

We had like 7 pro bowlers on teh team last year and theyre all back.  And every one of them is playing like "What's my assignment?!"  You don't have 7 pro bowlers by accident and they all don't just do a 180 on accident.  It doesn't make sense.

I just don't get it.  The only thing that would make sense is if we later learned we had some locker room turmoil or an Urban Meyer situation going on in there...

4 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I mean at this point, I'm starting to think there's a problem in the locker room.  Whether it's between players or coaches or something.   You sorta get the slow starts having a new QB every year.  But it wasn't this bad when it was luck, to JB, to Rivers, to Wentz.  Slow starts, maybe yes.  1-2 win team through a 4 weeks, yes.  But this start is something worse.  We look like a practice team out there.  Even Matt Ryan had his stretches of turning the ball over a lot.  But has he or any other QB put the ball on the turf 9 times in 4 weeks.  NINE!  And that doesn't even include interceptions.

We had like 7 pro bowlers on teh team last year and theyre all back.  And every one of them is playing like "What's my assignment?!"  You don't have 7 pro bowlers by accident and they all don't just do a 180 on accident.  It doesn't make sense.

I just don't get it.  The only thing that would make sense is if we later learned we had some locker room turmoil or an Urban Meyer situation going on in there...

I am not sure what is going on, I thought we would be 3-1. Taylor has been a huge disappointment, that is what stands out to me. He did nothing on Sunday in a huge game.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not sure what is going on, I thought we would be 3-1. Taylor has been a huge disappointment, that is what stands out to me. He did nothing on Sunday in a huge game.

He's not getting much blocking.  But he's also running into tackles it seems.  I obviously can't see the whole field.  but there's times where it looks like there's no one outside and he runs into a blocked defender for -1 yard.

2 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I dont think you can jam everyone into 3 or 4 categories, people change. Feelings change, the team changes. Not everyone is going to be exactly one of those things at all times. 

The true gage of a person would be if we were 8-7-1 and we had played a good team in order to win the division = if you ask them will we win or lose?  We would know then the true Positive and Negative people. 

6 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Of those, I am probably a cynic. But I prefer the term realist.

Now if the Colts go out and draft a young QB, I will probably swing back over to being an optimist. 

I see you more as a pessimist, a cynic thinks nothing will go right and complains about everything but I am not Doctor Phil Oh My God Wow GIF by reactionseditor

9 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

He's not getting much blocking.  But he's also running into tackles it seems.  I obviously can't see the whole field.  but there's times where it looks like there's no one outside and he runs into a blocked defender for -1 yard.

Everytime he gets the ball now I think he is going to get stuffed. Bad feeling to have. I heard Boooooo's in the crowd on Sunday when he got stuffed like 3 straight times

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The true gage of a person would be if we were 8-7-1 and we had played a good team in order to win the division = if you ask them will we win or lose?  We would know then the true Positive and Negative people. 

I dont know if thats accurate, so many variables. Say our 8 wins were all against bad teams, or gifted to us like the Chiefs win where it was really a muffed punt and a bad penalty that secured the win. The realist would probably come out and say well, we got lucky with our matchups and got gifted some wins to reach 8, but were probably not good enough to beat this really good team. That person for saying it how it is would probably immediately get labeled a cynic by many. The categories are skewed and people drift in and out of all of them as time goes on I think.

1 minute ago, Nesjan3 said:

I dont know if thats accurate, so many variables. Say our 8 wins were all against bad teams, or gifted to us like the Chiefs win where it was really a muffed punt and a bad penalty that secured the win. The realist would probably come out and say well, we got lucky with our matchups and got gifted some wins to reach 8, but were probably not good enough to beat this really good team. That person for saying it how it is would probably immediately get labeled a cynic by many. The categories are skewed and people drift in and out of all of them as time goes on I think.

To me an Optimist means, one always thinks we have a chance until we don't. Lets say we are 3-3, that type of person would say we are still ok.

A Pessimist is someone that thinks a team at 3-3 has very little chance to do anything because they are inconsistent being at .500.

A Cynic would be like we should be 5-1, lets fire everyone because we are 3-3, fire the coach, we need a new team. We are going no where.

A Realist = we are 0-6 and say we suck, we need to make changes, this team is done for the year. Stats and Vegas odds basically show we have no chance to make the playoffs.

There is a gigantic difference between a Cynic and a Realist. Cynic's just stink up the joint, they are like Trolls in my book. They can never see anything positive about anything. A realist knows when it is actually over based on numbers, as in 0-6 for example.

42 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I hate to get involved with you because you will end up with a back and forth from this but I HAVE TO say this. You are an enjoyable poster but this is a pet peeve of mine. 

You make "judgement calls" without qualifying with an "IMO", all the time and make it seem like what you deem as positive has to be positive and what you deem as negative has to be negative in other people's eyes. Not everyone sees things through the same lens and the majority of your posts circle the wagons around whether they need to be able to see eye-to-eye with you without it ever dawning on you that the lens that people see through is DEFINITELY going to be different if you are disagreeing with them in the first place. Until you come to terms with that, you will never be able to come to terms with poster viewpoints that are considerably different than yours and move on. I will leave it at that. 

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To me an Optimist means, one always thinks we have a chance until we don't. Lets say we are 3-3, that type of person would say we are still ok.

A Pessimist is someone that thinks a team at 3-3 has very little chance to do anything because they are inconsistent being at .500.

A Cynic would be like we should be 5-1, lets fire everyone because we are 3-3, fire the coach, we need a new team. We are going no where.

A Realist = we are 0-6 and say we suck, we need to make changes, this team is done for the year. Stats and Vegas odds basically show we have no chance to make the playoffs.

There is a gigantic difference between a Cynic and a Realist. Cynic's just stink up the joint, they are like Trolls in my book. They can never see anything positive about anything. A realist knows when it is actually over based on numbers, as in 0-6 for example.

Ok so thats how you see it, not everyone see's it that way and just because you say thats how it is doesn't make it true

15 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Ok so thats how you see it, not everyone see's it that way and just because you say thats how it is doesn't make it true

True, but I think my post makes sense at worse. I am not the boss of anyone and how people think. I made a reasonable post that makes sense, if you or @chad72disagree's with it I am ok with it. Everyone has their own opinion so why can't I? Why can't I have an opinion like everyone else does ?. Despite what people think I respect everyone's opinion, I just don't like Trolls and when I think someone is trolling, I will call them out at times - as many should. Let me ask people this, would you like to live with someone that complains about everything and is negative 24/7. Dude if I had that in my life I would say don't let the door knob hit you in the rear on the way out Homer Simpson Reaction GIF

1 hour ago, Pelt said:

prag·mat·ic

/praɡˈmadik/

adjective

Dealing with things sensibly and realistically in a way that is based on practical rather than theoretical considerations.

That would be me.

Paraphrasing "realistic" but both can be clubbed together so that we don't make the English language options made available here more complicated than they need to be. :) 

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Paraphrasing "realistic" but both can be clubbed together so that we don't make the English language options made available here more complicated than they need to be. :) 

As of now, do you think it is right for anyone to say we have no chance to make the playoffs at 1-2-1? Is that being a realist or a Cynic? Don't twist it because you know at 1-2-1 it is far from over.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

As of now, do you think it is right for anyone to say we have no chance to make the playoffs at 1-2-1? Is that being a realist or a Cynic? Don't twist it because you know at 1-2-1 it is far from over.

I have made it clear, anyone talking about "firing" right now is knee jerk, very premature. Let us see when November gets here as to where we are. That will tell us better because Chargers 2-2, Bucs 2-2, Bengals 2-2 are all teams that are still figuring things out like we are and we aren't that far from their record, if you look at it objectively. So, bottom line, there is obviously a good chance, and a lot depends on our next rodeo with our division rivals, and anyone that says we have no chance is a cynic. Does that answer your question?

Just now, chad72 said:

I have made it clear, anyone talking about "firing" right now is knee jerk, very premature. Let us see when November gets here as to where we are. That will tell us better because Chargers 2-2, Bucs 2-2, Bengals 2-2 are all teams that are still figuring things out like we are and we aren't that far from their record, if you look at it objectively. So, bottom line, there is obviously a good chance, and a lot depends on our next rodeo with our division rivals.

Fair enough. That is all I needed.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

So you said in your poll about the season being over after the Broncos game that if we lose you think its over, then after quite a few posts you changed your view and said if we lose the Broncos and the two divisional games after that its over. Does that make you a cynic? Obviously not....thats what im saying, its all skewed, people all have varying opinions at different times, everyone views the categories differently. Its not a black and white thing where you can just put certain labels on people. Everyone here has said something optimistic and something cynical at some point in time.

9 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

So you said in your poll about the season being over after the Broncos game that if we lose you think its over, then after quite a few posts you changed your view and said if we lose the Broncos and the two divisional games after that its over. Does that make you a cynic? Obviously not....thats what im saying, its all skewed, people all have varying opinions at different times, everyone views the categories differently. Its not a black and white thing where you can just put certain labels on people. Everyone here has said something optimistic and something cynical at some point in time.

No, he was "testing" us all. He wanted to know how we think by skewing the thread in that fashion. :) 

To me, it is like this. Say your wife comes to you for venting about an issue, have you ever heard the theory "they are doing that to vent their frustration, they don't want you to solve it, take sides or tell them not to feel that way or tell them how to feel". As much as he might deny it, he ends up doing one of those things constantly without realizing it. Sometimes, I just let posters vent, let them, I don't have to agree with it or even say anything about it, will speak my piece and go on.

5 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

No I said I think it is over if we lose to Denver, I never wavered from that. Then I said we need win the next 3 in reality to be sitting well.

I’m a realist. 

I’ve been pointing this stuff out about Ballard and especially reich since late 2019. I didn’t let unbridled optimism and a neverending stream of excuses blind me to the fact that while it wasn’t Chuck Pagano bad, it wasn’t actually much better. 

Now here we are 30 months later and it has lingered until it is Pagano bad. 

3 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I’m a realist. 

I’ve been pointing this stuff out about Ballard and especially reich since late 2019. I didn’t let unbridled optimism and a neverending stream of excuses blind me to the fact that while it wasn’t Chuck Pagano bad, it wasn’t actually much better. 

Love your signature, you must have nightmares about Pagano's fake punt. :) 

1 minute ago, John Waylon said:

lol I don’t even remember what it is anymore. I only get on here on my phone and it doesn’t display signatures. What does it say?

"I couldn't figure out if it was a fake punt or a Lamar Odom bedside vigil" - Donnie Baker - 10-19-15 :) 

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

"I couldn't figure out if it was a fake punt or a Lamar Odom bedside vigil" - Donnie Baker - 10-19-15 :) 

Ha. I had forgotten about that joke, but that was a good one. And that was even the morning after the game. 

Indeed, that play is still one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever seen in football. I haven’t seen anything else that bad until Denver bungled the end of that first quarter in W1 settling for that FG. 

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

I’m a realist. 

Nice post.

Some here if not most are basing their feelings on this team, organization on our current record in 4 games.

While a few of us are basing our thoughts on a much larger sample.

3 hours ago, Jackie Daytona said:

It could be worse....look what Denver traded for the right to pay Wilson like a top 3 guy, only to ha e him outplayed by his previous backup.....

Wilson will get on track though. If Wilson was in Indy struggling i wouldnt lose hope quickly.

47 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Nice post.

Some here if not most are basing their feelings on this team, organization on our current record in 4 games.

While a few of us are basing our thoughts on a much larger sample.

Good post, I need a bigger sample size before I become a Cynic, 4 games isn't enough. Anyone that says fire someone after 4 games has 0 patience. What if we win the next 3 games? Do I think Sean Payton was a better coach than Reich is now, sure. So was a few others. 

I am an Optimist.  Part of that I will freely admit is me being a fan of the team and just wanting to see things go well.  I do think I have the ability to be critical when I feel it’s needed though.  Still I am normally pretty optimistic about most things Colts until given a reason not to be.

Archived