Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

When it comes to the Colts, are you an Optimist, Pessimist or Cynic?

coltsfeva

Optimist - A person who tends to be hopeful and confident about the future or the success of something.

Pessimist - A person who tends to see the worst aspects of things or believes the worst outcome will happen.

Cynic - One who believes people are motivated by their self- interest. Believing that people are lacking sincerity or integrity.

I get the pessimism in Indy; there were a lot of embarrassing moments Sunday. But if all you focus on, is the bad, you lose sight of the big picture.
    Fallen by the wayside are the solid special teams play and great plays by Pierce, Mo Allie Cox, Granson and Campbell.
  Hard to have a realistic assessment of this team if you don’t consider both the successes and failures of game. 

That being said, things have got to be cleaned up, on that point, we can all agree. There’s a lot of areas where the Colts have to just play better, which they are perfectly capable of doing.

The season is not over and the Colts still have a chance to win the Division.

The fanbase is made up of all three of these perspectives. For those of us who are optimists, we may get disappointed and we’ll have to deal with that, when the time comes. (By the way, I would think that everyone in the Colts Organization is optimistic, but what do they know, they’re not a smart as some of you).

To the pessimists, I can understand why you would just say; “I’ll believe it, when I see it”! I suppose that’s a perfectly reasonable place to be, but I’m not there yet, primarily because I have seen the Colts play much better than this.

To the cynics (including much of the media). I feel sorry for you. It must suck to be so bitter that you can’t see the good in something. Hopefully, the team will start to play better and the bitterness will eventually disappear.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm an optimist.  I remember the days when we absolutely never won and we all had fun anyway.

They'll figure it out

In the mean time, the biggest problem for me is how much my husband complains during the game

He's getting to be a real downer

Need a fourth category - realist

If you realize the season is a 17 game marathon, and realize whether you lose badly or lose handily, it still counts as only 1 loss and vice versa when you win, you stay realistic that it is a week to week game and things can still be figured out over 17 games and turned around in quarter 2 of the season.  Does that help? @coltsfeva :) 

8 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Optimist - A person who tends to be hopeful and confident about the future or the success of something.

Pessimist - A person who tends to see the worst aspects of things or believes the worst outcome will happen.

Cynic - One who believes people are motivated by their self- interest. Believing that people are lacking sincerity or integrity.

I get the pessimism in Indy; there were a lot of embarrassing moments Sunday. But if all you focus on, is the bad, you lose sight of the big picture.
    Fallen by the wayside are the solid special teams play and great plays by Pierce, Mo Allie Cox, Granson and Campbell.
  Hard to have a realistic assessment of this team if you don’t consider both the successes and failures of game. 

That being said, things have got to be cleaned up, on that point, we can all agree. There’s a lot of areas where the Colts have to just play better, which they are perfectly capable of doing.

The season is not over and the Colts still have a chance to win the Division.

The fanbase is made up of all three of these perspectives. For those of us who are optimists, we may get disappointed and we’ll have to deal with that, when the time comes. (By the way, I would think that everyone in the Colts Organization is optimistic, but what do they know, they’re not a smart as some of you).

To the pessimists, I can understand why you would just say; “I’ll believe it, when I see it”! I suppose that’s a perfectly reasonable place to be, but I’m not there yet, primarily because I have seen the Colts play much better than this.

To the cynics (including much of the media). I feel sorry for you. It must suck to be so bitter that you can’t see the good in something. Hopefully, the team will start to play better and the bitterness will eventually disappear.

Love your categories. It is the Cynics that bother me in here, people being pessimists don't bother me at all. I can see why some are pessimistic because we are so inconsistent.  Thanks for breaking down the difference in definitions so everyone can read it. It would be a miserable daily life to be a cynic and we have a few in here. I would not live with one or hang around such a person that is for sure. I am still an optimist, if we beat Denver we can salvage the season with 12 games to go at 2-2-1.

I tend to be optimistic, but I'm not just an in season fan. If we do poorly and get a high draft pick then there's more fun for me during the off-season. If we do well and get into the playoffs then great, get to watch more colts football. If they make it to the bug game then even better. Being a fan is a hobby, not a complete way of life.

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Need a fourth category - realist

If you realize the season is a 17 game marathon, and realize whether you lose badly or lose handily, it still counts as only 1 loss and vice versa when you win, you stay realistic that it is a week to week game and things can still be figured out over 17 games and turned around in quarter 2 of the season.  Does that help? @coltsfeva :) 

The problem with realist is that all pessimists think they're realists, so 'realist' ends up representing two different groups.

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Realist. 

Realist is just an opinion though, you may think we stink and in your mind you are being a realist. I can say I am a realist but in my mind I can also think we can salvage the season. I think you are more of a pessimist - nothing against you because I can see why. We laid an egg Sunday. You are either positive, negative, or a cynic and being a cynic is the worse kind of person because you can't have a normal debate/convo with them. 

4 minutes ago, buccolts said:

The problem with realist is that all pessimists think they're realists, so 'realist' ends up representing two different groups.

True but that also means the realist doesn't have to conform and be placed in buckets. You can go from optimist to pessimist based on what you see objectively on the field and if things are going in the right direction, your views can change. One doesn't always stay optimist forever, or pessimist forever in life, IMO. One might assume that is the case but we all know life is not black and white and is filled with gray areas where circumstances change a man's view, and that depends on each's threshold for tolerating negative outcomes. :) 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Realist is just an opinion though, you may think we stink and in your mind you are being realist. I can say I am a realist but in my mind I can also think we can salvage the season. I think you are more of a pessimist - nothing against you because I can see why. We laid an egg Sunday. You are either postive, negative, or a cynic and being cynic is the worse kind of person because you can't have a normal debate/convo with them. 

I'm a fact based person. 

I am a fan, who "hopes", but glasses are less blue than most. 

It's funny. The stat/metrics guys, the engineers, the programmers, that have worked for me in the past, say I'm overly optimistic. 

Just now, EastStreet said:

I'm a fact based person. 

It's funny. The stat/metrics guys, the engineers, the programmers, that have worked for me in the past, say I'm overly optimistic. 

Oh IMO you are the best I have ever seen here when it comes to stats/breaking down stats. You are a huge asset to this site. But if I asked you right now do you think we will win the division, you would probably say no. That is being a pessimist not a realist. Because I still think we will win the division which is being optimistic. 

I'm a fact based person. 

To be honest, you don't use enough words of affirmation to negate the effects of your criticism thus probably forcing people to "label" you as a pessimist. Like I said above, being a realist affords you the luxury to swing from optimist to pessimist, and vice versa. I would categorize you as a realist, can't speak for the others. 

On the other hand, @2006Coltsbestever uses more words of affirmation than criticism to qualify as an optimist. 

Perception may not be reality but I can see why perception is what it is because none of us know each other personally outside what is displayed on the forum, fair? :) 

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

True but that also means the realist doesn't have to conform and be placed in buckets. You can go from optimist to pessimist based on what you see objectively on the field and if things are going in the right direction, your views can change. One doesn't always stay optimist forever, or pessimist forever in life, IMO. One might assume that is the case but we all know life is not black and white and is filled with gray areas where circumstances change a man's view, and that depends on each's threshold for tolerating negative outcomes. :) 

Well, I'm generally an optimistic guy when it comes to the Colts, but I am starting to feel a bit grey. Especially towards Frank.

1 minute ago, buccolts said:

Well, I'm generally an optimistic guy when it comes to the Colts, but I am starting to feel a bit grey. Especially towards Frank.

Yeah, my tolerance for Reich is dwindling more than that for Ballard.

21 minutes ago, Nadine said:

I'm an optimist.  I remember the days when we absolutely never won and we all had fun anyway.

They'll figure it out

In the mean time, the biggest problem for me is how much my husband complains during the game

He's getting to be a real downer

That's where I'm at. Life is full of mountains (positives) and valleys (negatives). It can't always be mountains (unless you're the Steelers...). We are in the valley right now. I'm 34, but I've heard my family often talk of the Jack Trudeau days. 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Oh IMO you are the best I have ever seen here when it comes to stats/breaking down stats. You are a huge asset to this site. But if I asked you right now do you think we will win the division, you would probably say no. That is being a pessimist not a realist. Because I still think we will win the division which is being optimistic. 

You don't understand the definitions lol...

Logically, when the computers, odds, etc.. all suggest Indy is likely 3rd in AFCS or perhaps 2nd, it's not pessimistic to agree with computers or vegas odds. 

Conversely, it would make you unrealistic. 

Well right now I’m pretty pessimistic about where the Colts are, but I’m pretty optimistic when it comes to losing because that means the chance to draft a better QB. A franchise QB. 

as much as I disagree with Frank and what he calls and the scheme we are running, I know it’s the QB that makes the HC and not the other way around. I don’t see Dungy winning any SBs without Peyton. And I don’t see Frank winning any SBs without a legitimate franchise QB. 

today I’m both. But mostly I’m always optimistic about the future with the Colts. I grew up watching them and I long for days of glory once again. Either way realistically something needs to change. With my understanding being the way it is for this season, the more games we lose the more games I want to lose so we can draft a guy like Young or Stroud. 

I'm generally a realist that is neutral right now slightly toward the negative side, but is willing to be positive or negative based on the situation. If something good happens, I'm positive, if something bad happens, I'm negative. I don't have a reaction for the sake of being positive or negative just for the heck of it.

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

You don't understand the definitions lol...

Logically, when the computers, odds, etc.. all suggest Indy is likely 3rd in AFCS or perhaps 2nd, it's not pessimistic to agree with computers or vegas odds. 

Conversely, it would make you unrealistic. 

I just laughed because you and I could go round and round with this. Yeah the odds are against us as of now of winning the division statistically and by Vegas odds. I still think we have a decent shot to win it though, simply because we still play Tennessee and Jacks again.

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

To be honest, you don't use enough words of affirmation to negate the effects of your criticism thus probably forcing people to "label" you as a pessimist. Like I said above, being a realist affords you the luxury to swing from optimist to pessimist, and vice versa. I would categorize you as a realist, can't speak for the others. 

On the other hand, @2006Coltsbestever uses more words of affirmation than criticism to qualify as an optimist. 

Perception may not be reality but I can see why perception is what it is because none of us know each other personally outside what is displayed on the forum, fair? :) 

I'm real on here. My career, I can be "full of" affirmation with clients and lower level employees all day. When I'm with my direct reports like VPs and Directors, I'm real and blunt. I am different in different settings. And no need to full of affirmation here lol... 

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We just tied the Texans and lost to the Jags and Titans. A realist seas this for what it is - An incredibly tough hill to climb.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I just laughed because you and I could go round and round with this. Yeah the odds are against us as of now of winning the division statistically and by Vegas odds. I still think we have a decent shot to win it though, simply because we still play Tennessee and Jacks again.

Again, you don't understand technical definitions. 

Realistic means that your baseline is near reality/probability. 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

I'm real on here. My career, I can be "full of" affirmation with clients and lower level employees all day. When I'm with my direct reports like VPs and Directors, I'm real and blunt. I am different in different settings. And no need to full of affirmation here lol... 

Never said you weren't real, to me it just simple though. Either you think we will win the division or you don't. There is no middle. You are definitely not a cynic, a cynic is the worst kind of people. I am cool with you and agree with about 90% of what you post. When it comes to breaking down stats, nobody can touch you.

Optimist.  I always feel that the young drafted players will emerge into the players they were drafted to be.  I feel that the GM and HC should always be given a long leash to see if this happens.  After all, the next guys will live and die by the same measurement.

But I am a cynic when the forum creates a narrative that says the young players WILL be who they should be because our Genius drafted them.  I believe this narrative is created by other people to validate a previously formed opinion about Ballard.  That validation is about their self-interest.

I'm also a cynic when a narrative gets created that the HC is responsible for everything bad.  You can tell its a thinly supported narrative when weird things are said, like the oline is regressing because of a dopey oline coach we fired three/four years ago.....and Flus calling soft zone coverages because Frank is the HC.   That's just bizarro.  I believe this narrative is created by other people to validate a previously formed opinion about Frank.  That validation is about their self-interest.

True. Gosh, I have learnt so many life lessons. I used to be a "Smart Alec" in my 20s trying to correct people in conversations and eventually realized "I may win an argument with facts but I am losing friends for the long term...". My wife, she is the people pleaser and it is no surprise she has FAR MORE friends than I do though mine are the ones who can tolerate people that keep it real like me.

But I have grown and recently, when my friend said the 529 funds can't be used for lodging for college for a kid, instead of correcting him, I talked to him in private and shared information with him that it could be. Of course, no one is truly here to "make friends" here, just share Colts viewpoints. But after a few back and forth posts, some folks need to look in the mirror and realize "my skin is not as thick as I thought or said it was", lol :) 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

I suppose I'm a realist, too. My concern is that a poor (defeatist) attitude will pervade the Colts team if something is not done, soon. This could ruin the team for the foreseeable future.

Just now, EastStreet said:

Yep. Look at possibility vs probability. That's the equation to determine the type of person someone is. I generally look at probability in everything I do. What are the odds that this will happen? As opposed to possibility to where someone asks, can this possibly happen?

The question is completely different and requires two different mindsets to determine two different thought processes by two different people.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

True. Gosh, I have learnt so many life lessons. I used to be a "Smart Alec" in my 20s trying to correct people in conversations and eventually realized "I may win an argument with facts but I am losing friends for the long term...". My wife, she is the people pleaser and it is no surprise she has FAR MORE friends than I do though mine are the ones who can tolerate people that keep it real like me.

But I have grown and recently, when my friend said the 529 funds can't be used for lodging for college for a kid, instead of correcting him, I talked to him in private and shared information with him that it could be. Of course, no one is truly here to "make friends" here, just share Colts viewpoints. But after a few back and forth posts, some folks need to look in the mirror and realize "my skin is not as thick as I thought or said it was", lol :) 

Same here to the bolded. I was a terrible person in my 20s that way and upset a bunch of people where either they didn't want to be around me, or I thought they weren't smart enough to associate with. I had to realize everyone had their strengths and weaknesses. I used to judge people, and it ended up being a mistake.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Never said you weren't real, to me it just simple though. Either you think we will win the division or you don't. There is no middle. You are definitely not a cynic, a cynic is the worst kind of people. I am cool with you and agree with about 90% of what you post. When it comes to breaking down stats, nobody can touch you.

95+% of the time, I'm with stats, odds, probability, etc.. 

And when I gambled when I was young, I was pretty good lol. 

And rarely bet on my teams. I knew I was less objective. 

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yep. Look at possibility vs probability. That's the equation to determine the type of person someone is. I generally look at probability in everything I do. What are the odds that this will happen? As opposed to possibility to where someone asks, can this possibly happen?

The question is completely different and requires two different mindsets to determine two different thought processes by two different people.

What is the probability that so many of the team's talented players have poor performance problems all at the same time?

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Same here to the bolded. I was a terrible person in my 20s that way and upset a bunch of people where either they didn't want to be around me, or I thought they weren't smart enough to associate with. I had to realize everyone had their strengths and weaknesses. I used to judge people, and it ended up being a mistake.

No one is perfect and if one realizes that, their tolerance for the world goes up, IMO. :) 

Like that Led Zeppelin song "Stairway to Heaven" lyrics say:

Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run
And there's still time to change the road you're on

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If you bumped into me with clients or employees, you would not recognize me. If I was with family, or drinking with a buddy, you'd recognize me lol... 

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Glad you changed. Nobody likes to be around that guy lol. 

8 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

I suppose I'm a realist, too. My concern is that a poor (defeatist) attitude will pervade the Colts team if something is not done, soon. This could ruin the team for the foreseeable future.

IMO, Frank lost the team late last year. It's my fear, and it gets worse. 

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think numbers, analytics, and data play a role in our everyday lives. @EastStreet is the smartest poster on this forum when it comes to stats. There is no 2nd place. Generally people should use them to their advantage. I think Vegas is a good tool. However, even it updates throughout the year, and longshots come in. Colts fans could probably gain an advantage on Vegas only making Colts bets, and the more honest (or realistic) you are as a fan, the more likely you are to be able to learn these things with certainty as long as you're honest and can set aside being optimistic or pessimistic.

Archived