Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why we lost? Our GM let this guy go for peanuts and paid our 20 million for this OL play.

Rhodelesstraveled

4 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

Vrabel knew his DL was far superior to our OL.  He took Pittman way with bracket coverage for a few catches and he had scrubs on the rest of our weapons

5 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

When you see what he did,  he knew this OL and Ryan could not score in the RZ because of his DL and our OL.  I called this before the game began. Tell me why I knew it and Reich couldnt figure this out?

Can you reason when you get angry?

You answered your own question.  Since our oline was manhandled by TEN D line...and TEN could cover our weapons with scrubs as they doubled Pitt, what exactly are you expecting Frank to do once he "figured it out"?  

Should he be fired for not being a genius HC that works up a game plan to win under the circumstances you accurately pointed out?

By now, the entire team knows who they are and I doubt that any of them are directly blaming Frank.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We weren't taking Allen as it stood though at #6 is why I asked the question. We had Luck is why. I am saying who would you guys took at #6 instead of Nelson?

Nobody. 

But Ballard had other options than to select a player there.  BUF was trading TWO decent first round picks for only pick #6.  Tey were giving that up because they wanted a QB.  That expensive trade makes sense for them.  We rejected that trade in order to take a G. 

Think about how teams draft in any draft.  Rejecting pick 12 and 23 just to take a G.......does that make sense?  Its basically the same thing as a GM trading up from pick 12 and 23 to select a G.  That's horrible.  If we watched another team do that we would laugh at them.

If there are no elite QBs, LTs, Flankers, or EDGEs there, make the trade and then take two very good players instead.  Or trade back again to get capital for next years draft to target one of those positions.

(repeated this post for editing)

4 hours ago, Indy87 said:

the reason I doubt Ballard ability to find a QB is because he said no QB in that draft was worth it. But look who is doing well???

well hopefully he doesn’t have the same sentiment if we end up in that position again.  I would rather trade a current and future first to trade up for a qb can end the current drought

4 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

And a lot of people did not want him......too small.....injury issues......etc.......etc.  Again, when Pittman was drafted everyone applauded the choice and I don't recall a lot of people pounding the pulpit for Hurts?????

Hindsight is still 20/20 and to bash Ballard because he, among 31 other GM's passed on him. Are you upset that 31 GM's passed on Tom Brady the year he was drafted, including the Colts? Can't live life in the rear view mirror....

I'm not upset with Colts not drafting Hurts. I'm a Vikings fan, and I'm upset we're stuck with Kirk. So I have no money on this matter. 

The person I replied wanted to see a realistic scenario after Luck retired where Colts could've had a franchise QB (not moving up from #13 to #6 in Herbert's draft year, as that wasn't realistic), so I gave an example of how Colts or almost any other team could've landed a franchise QB realistically, even without losing any of their other draft picks and just sitting at their own spot. 

I don't know if eagles saw something great in him or just wanted to take a flier on him, but they did just get their guy by sitting at their own spot in second round, not even first round. 

Jalen Hurts, the way he plays, could still turn out to be viable, healthy franchise QB only for few years or he could be a freak athelete like Lamar, and could last for years in Philly as a dangerous QB. We don't know yet, but good on Philly on spotting him and drafting him so that they could get rid of Wentz era. 

Anyway, saying that it's impossible to find a QB outside top 5 or 10 in the draft isn't true, franchises like Colts and Vikings could take a chance at a QB available later in the draft. But, they should've a GM and his staff or a coaching staff that could spot a great QB hiding in a draft. Even if they don't see one, franchises could take a chance at some QBs with some irreplaceable traits like Hurts and Lamar have. Even Lamar Jackson was available for most teams in all of day 1 of the draft. 

It's all saying with hindsight, I agree. But, there's a lot franchises could learn from these examples. And, the person I replied specifically asked for an example WITH the help of hindsight now. 

Also, I'm not saying Colts shouldn't have drafted Pittman or Taylor in that draft, but there was a franchise QB sitting at that time that Philly found. QBs, especially with second round draft pick investment, are lot more worth than any other positions, even if that player selection doesn't pan out. Franchises searching for QBs, especially the ones like Chris Ballard who doesn't want to move up unless it's a sure thing, should at least try those QBs that others overlook, especially when chances arise in second round of a draft. 

3 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Name one free agent QB that switched teams that is a Franchise QB?

Name one trade that could have been realistic for the Colts to make that would have landed them a Franchise QB?

Name one draft pick that is a Franchise QB in the last three years that we had a realistic chance of drafting?

You can't and I have spelled this stuff out for you hindsight GM's several times.....

Again......what makes you think they did not try? It takes two to tango bud!

There we’re many options the past three years to find a QB. A GM is always in a position to get a player they covet. It’s just a matter of how aggressive they are and what their willing to spend.

Ballard is not a risk taker and has stated that with his “set the franchise back” comments. 

Like I said, in a previous post, there’d probably be less pitchforks if the man took a massive swing at QB, but missed. Instead he’s gone the cheap route and continues the revolving door at QB, while the team is nowhere where it should be at year 6 of his tenure. 

Keep drinking that koolaide buddy! 

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Lets say we had the #6 pick and we passed on Herbert, then Ballard could get ripped but we didn't. We were picking 13th so who knows what or how we could've done. 

I don't disagree.  People seem to think that trading up from 13 to 3 to take Herbert was easy if Ballard wanted to do it.  I think LAC would have offered more to just move up 3 slots.  They would have out bid us or anybody.  And DET or NYG would have taken the LAC offer because it would have only dropped them to #6 instead of #13.

But, if we had another first round pick besides 13 from trading back instead of taking Nelson in 2018, maybe we have the capital.  We do the trade the Jets gave us for pick 3 in 2018.

Maybe we could have gotten Defo AND Herbert if we had more bullets.

Basically, we ignored positional value in 2018 and we had fewer bullets when it mattered.

4 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Name one trade that could have been realistic for the Colts to make that would have landed them a Franchise QB?

Name one draft pick that is a Franchise QB in the last three years that we had a realistic chance of drafting?

You can't and I have spelled this stuff out for you hindsight GM's several times.....

Again......what makes you think they did not try? It takes two to tango bud!

Or 

Tom Brady, yes it's tough to see franchise QBs in free agency usually,  but lot of franchise QBs nowadays are open to be traded like Wilson, for another example. Matt Ryan - another example - could still work very well for the Colts, but you've got to have a very good pass blocking OL for Ryan. It's actually lazy to expect Ryan to be Brady, with below average pass protection. It's actually lazy to call Matt Ryan a failure after first 4 weeks and until the OL also does their due part in the scheme and for their QB's tendencies. Sometimes, it just takes time for the QB and OL to understand each other to do both of their jobs better. Sometimes, you've got to give the QB a couple more years while building proper OL and talent around him. I think both would be true in the case of Ryan and the Colts. 

Jalen Hurts. 

Are you going to call this lazy or hindsight? Your question and the "could have" implies exactly that. 

1 hour ago, Two_pound said:

Hey Doug, Tennessee didn't cover anyone, our guys were WIDE open. I don't know why we just didn't send guys on crossing routes all day. This was one game where we should of abandoned the run.

I'm not following. 

You're saying that TEN did not cover our receivers on running plays?  I get that. Or,

When we called passing plays, all of our receivers were open...

Of course, that would be the case because we had been calling so many running plays... IOW, run to set up the pass...if you've ever heard football analysis before.

Or do you believe in the Eaststreet way of looking at games and stats by modern (read stupid) ways of looking at analytics.  "Since our players were wide open on the passing plays (we called after we ran the ball), we should have called more passing plays and fewer running plays", LOL.

Maybe you mean something else.

1 hour ago, Two_pound said:

Hey Doug, Tennessee didn't cover anyone, our guys were WIDE open. I don't know why we just didn't send guys on crossing routes all day. This was one game where we should of abandoned the run.

Because Ryan kept fumbling the ball. Turn it over you can’t make a pass. Cox said they worked on that all last week.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Nobody. 

But Ballard had other options than to select a player there.  BUF was trading TWO decent first round picks for only pick #6.  Tey were giving that up because they wanted a QB.  That expensive trade makes sense for them.  We rejected that trade in order to take a G. 

Think about how teams draft in any draft.  Rejecting pick 12 and 23 just to take a G.......does that make sense?  Its basically the same thing as a GM trading up from pick 12 and 23 to select a G.  That's horrible.  If we watched another team do that we would laugh at them.

If there are no elite QBs, LTs, Flankers, or EDGEs there, make the trade and then take two very good players instead.  Or trade back again to get capital for next years draft to target one of those positions.

(repeated this post for editing)

Yes I think it makes perfect sense. Nelson was considered a premium player and turned out he was.

The team needed help at OL. It had plenty of picks that season with the trade down already. We had Andrew Luck returning and had to address the OL. And we had a future HOF interior lineman right there. 

But here we go again with looking back and forgetting the real context surrounding the team at the time. 

We HAD to get help on the OL. We got it. We won a playoff game that year. It was working. NOBODY was questioning the pick then.

Everything was on track and then Luck retired. 

17 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

The only thing I feel bad for Reich with is the revolving door at QB, hard to build something when you have to tear down and rebuild year after year. That’s on Ballard period. 

WENTZ WAS 100% REICH. He stated that when they sign him. He wanted him .

2 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

They said they were open to trading, its not unusual for teams picking high to do that

The exact quote from the lions gm was "we are open to any trade for the #3 pick"

The giants were too.  It would have been expensive but they were ready to listen 

That doesnt mean they were willing to drop all the way down outside the top 10. 

And again, we dont know if the Colts tried or not.

1 minute ago, Two_pound said:

I mean our receivers were open on passing plays the Titan pass defense is probably worse than ours. 27-37 and 360 yards is pretty good. Ten incomplete passes because the receivers were WIDE OPEN all over the field.

Explain why Pittman did nothing then?  TN game plan was to limit the only two guys who could beat them, JT and Pittman.  They knew they'd get to Ryan via the OL and get TO.  They were right.  How many did our elite D get?  

NADA.  

Vrabel got the lead and dared us to beat his D.  We scored 7 points in 18 of TOP in second half.  

We got out coached & outplayed

9 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Saying with the Hindsight, Colts could've drafted Jalen Hurts instead of Pittman in 2020 draft, they had two picks prior to the QB getting drafted, but they needed to have understood the QB's ability like the Eagles did. 

Safe to say most teams passed on him, and some twice. 

It's all about the QB evaluation of the GM and his staff. First of all, they should have the Innate ability to see a franchise QB in the draft process. Then, you've got to find a way to draft him. And, put him in right situation by making him sit and learn while having an above average OL like Hurts has had, so that the QB starts to believe in the team around him and his pass protection and is free to display his traits and show what he could do to the world. 

Hurts got beat out his senior year in college and transfer out of Alabama. That may have had something to do with all these poor GMs passing on him.

I can't explain all the untimely turnovers(which there have been many this year) but we moved the ball very effectively in the second half yesterday. Last year we were number 1 in turnover differential(+14) I'll bet right now we are dead last in turnover differential(-1,000,0000 or something like that). It's early we've had slow starts pretty much every year except 2009 when we started 14-0. I'm sticking by this team.

1 hour ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Or 

Tom Brady, yes it's tough to see franchise QBs in free agency usually,  but lot of franchise QBs nowadays are open to be traded like Wilson, for another example. Matt Ryan - another example - could still work very well for the Colts, but you've got to have a very good pass blocking OL for Ryan. It's actually lazy to expect Ryan to be Brady, with below average pass protection. It's actually lazy to call Matt Ryan a failure after first 4 weeks and until the OL also does their due part in the scheme and for their QB's tendencies. Sometimes, it just takes time for the QB and OL to understand each other to do both of their jobs better. Sometimes, you've got to give the QB a couple more years while building proper OL and talent around him. I think both would be true in the case of Ryan and the Colts. 

Jalen Hurts. 

Are you going to call this lazy or hindsight? Your question and the "could have" implies exactly that. 

What is with all these people crowning Jalen Hurts becsuse he had a couple good games?

Im personally hoping for a QB a lot better than Jalen Hurts. 

Yesterdays game Cox had 6 catches on 6 targets, Pierce 4 catches on 6 targets, Granson 4 catches on 4 targets, same for Campbell, Pittman 4 catches on 6 targets, but 2 of his misses were the passes in the end zone he caught but out of bounds(he was open) Ryan was just a little late on the throws. The titan defense was not impressive yesterday, if our defense played like that and we would have won people would be on here screaming our defense SUCKS!

Just now, BlackTiger said:

They straight up said they were willing to trade the pick

So why didnt they? 

Youre suggesting they didnt care how far down in the draft they would have dropped but you have provided zero evidence of that.

Saying they were open to "any offers" doesnt really suggest that. 

4 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Or 

Jalen Hurts. 

And you think Hurts is a franchise qb? 

remains to be seen, but doubtful 

tom Brady would never have played for the colts…..unrealistic 

if those are your best options then that is why we’re here with Matt Ryan while building the rest of the roster for a franchise qb to drop in and win

4 hours ago, MPStack said:

There we’re many options the past three years to find a QB. A GM is always in a position to get a player they covet. It’s just a matter of how aggressive they are and what their willing to spend.

Ballard is not a risk taker and has stated that with his “set the franchise back” comments. 

Like I said, in a previous post, there’d probably be less pitchforks if the man took a massive swing at QB, but missed. Instead he’s gone the cheap route and continues the revolving door at QB, while the team is nowhere where it should be at year 6 of his tenure. 

Keep drinking that koolaide buddy! 

Doubtful that you’d rather see him reach for a qb as fans have proven in the past they turn like rabid dogs for ‘wasting’ picks on bad qb’s

I don’t drink the koolaide but I am far more realistic than most of the Madden GM’s on here

21 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Sometimes i think fans no more then a bad GM. 

I doubt it. Fans seem to remember only when they are right and fail to admit the many times they are wrong.

GMs win some and lose some. No GM hits on all their acquisitions. 

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I doubt it. Fans seem to remember only when they are right and fail to admit the many times they are wrong.

GMs win some and lose some. No GM hits on all their acquisitions. 

I have been consistant about Ballard for probably 3 years because it’s the same mistakes every year.  Every year fans and media point out something about him that he fails at and for the most part are right when the season starts. 

8 hours ago, Goatface Killah said:

Hey I love Justin Herbert and I liked him in the draft. I saw a super athletic kid with a canon and thought "whats not to like". 

So yeah I would love to have a guy like that.

On Coach Reich, dont even mind Frank at all if he just does 2 things. Bring in an innovative OC who can tweak his system and call the plays and stop gambling so much on 4th down. I just dont think he has the instincts for those 2 things.

I would add the Frank can't seem to get the team prepared and fired up on game day. Huge duty fofr head coach in my opinion.

Archived