Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why we lost? Our GM let this guy go for peanuts and paid our 20 million for this OL play.

Rhodelesstraveled

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

Ballard needs to go.  Horrible roster building.  He traded up for Buckner when we would have had a franchise QB in Herbert.  Please stop telling me Q is the best, because he is a horrible pass blocker.  He is right not even in the top 25 of OG in his pass blocking grades.  

Hunh? They didn’t trade for Buckner. They actually didn’t even draft Buckner they made a trade with the 49ers for Buckner. 

10 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

they gave up a draft pick #13 if memory serves me

I'd rather have Chargers QB than Buckner right now. 

Herbert went 6th overall.   We traded the 13th overall pick for Buckner.   We didn’t choose Buckner over Herbert.    Not even close. 

7 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I think he is saying we should have traded up in that draft and got Herbert. I agree but hindsight is 20/20. We all know paying a fortune to move to the top of the first round is something Ballard would never do.

His hesitancy and the thinking behind it may ultimately result in Ballard's demise here because short of having a miserable season that leads to a higher draft position, a risky, aggressive move is likely necessary to obtain a franchise QB. 

IMO Ballard refuses to recognize the clear importance of having an in his prime franchise QB in terms of consistent winning, has done a poor job of evaluating talent at the position and is way to fixated on the draft capital cost it takes to acquire one.  

59 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

Ballard needs to go.  Horrible roster building.  He traded up for Buckner when we would have had a franchise QB in Herbert.  Please stop telling me Q is the best, because he is a horrible pass blocker.  He is right not even in the top 25 of OG in his pass blocking grades.  

Herbert was the 6th pick in the draft. A bit above where we were drafting that year…..

I bet you were one of the ones that complained when Ballard originally signed Autry saying he was just a camp body…,

Hindsight is always 20/20 bud….

1 minute ago, Scott Pennock said:

Herbert was the 6th pick in the draft. A bit above where we were drafting that year…..

I bet you were one of the ones that complained when Ballard originally signed Autry saying he was just a camp body…,

Hindsight is always 20/20 bud….

How many teams are aggressive getting their future QB. You can’t just sit back and hope someone is there. That being lazy.

3 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

How many teams are aggressive getting their future QB. You can’t just sit back and hope someone is there. That being lazy.

Well u don't have to worry anymore. Ballard and Reich are basically ally done with today's performance. Ballard hangs his hat on the trenches and its failure will lead to his demise. I do blame Frank for this. He fired the Oline coach. This Oline has never been the same. Nelson has never looked the same. They were banging heads back. Now they are back on their heels. I think Frank has lost the Oline. 

42 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Umm you don’t trade the 13th pick when you need a QB. You have to be agressive to get that QB. Ballard is passive.

Please…..   spare me the ummmm. 

You’re a fan, you’re not a General Manager.   Nothing is obvious. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Please…..   spare me the ummmm. 

You’re a fan, you’re not a General Manager.   Nothing is obvious. 

Sometimes i think fans no more then a bad GM. Every year fans and media point out weaknesses Ballard failed to fix. Every year we are right. Ballard just sits there and. Laughs when asked the questions which are valid. Why is it every year de can see a hole and Ballard can’t. Fans have been tight every time.

15 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

And for all of you STILL yammering on about getting a Franchise QB……name one realistic scenario where he (Ballard) could have from the moment Luck retired one week before the season started…..  

I’ll wait….

I mean hindsight is 20/20 im not a fan of should have could have scenarios but trading up from 13 to 4, 5 or 6 was definitely realistic. Many many teams have done something similar in previous drafts. So lets not pretend there has been no opportunity. What im also not a fan of is how we all know Ballard would not have ever done that, its not his philosophy. I have to agree he is passive and it has been working against him.

24 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

More teams sit in purgatory because they go so aggressive after QBs that never pan out than not. I'm not saying we shouldn't go get a QB, but it's not as simple as you seem to think it is.

18 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I do blame Frank for this. He fired the Oline coach. This Oline has never been the same. Nelson has never looked the same.

Gug was the OL coach here for one season (2018) and our OL was just as good, if not better, in 2019 and if not for some injuries, about as good in 2020. Dude hasn't stayed with a team more that 1 season since he was with NE 2014-2015 and is currently OL coach at Louisiana Tech. This idea that Gug was some OL genius that we have never recovered from letting go is ridiculous, and yet I see it repeated here all the time.

Just now, Shive said:

More teams sit in purgatory because they go so aggressive after QBs that never pan out than not. I'm not saying we shouldn't go get a QB, but it's not as simple as you seem to think it is.

Gug was the OL coach here for one season (2018) and our OL just as good, if not better, in 2019 and if not for some injuries, about as good in 2020. Dude hasn't stayed with a team more that 1 season since he was with NE 2014-2015 and is currently OL coach at Louisiana Tech. This idea that Gug was some OL genius that we have never recovered from letting go is ridiculous, and yet I see it repeated here all the time.

Seems it’s better to take a risk on a young QB then just settling. That won’t get you anywhere but taking a risk might. 

1 minute ago, Shive said:

Gug was the OL coach here for one season (2018) and our OL was just as good, if not better, in 2019 and if not for some injuries, about as good in 2020. Dude hasn't stayed with a team more that 1 season since he was with NE 2014-2015 and is currently OL coach at Louisiana Tech. This idea that Gug was some OL genius that we have never recovered from letting go is ridiculous, and yet I see it repeated here all the time.

Not a genius but I remember the Oline men were miffed when he wads let go. Nelson, Kelly and Smith are apparently mean players. Gug fit them well.

5 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Sometimes i think fans no more then a bad GM. Every year fans and media point out weaknesses Ballard failed to fix. Every year we are right. Ballard just sits there and. Laughs when asked the questions which are valid. Why is it every year de can see a hole and Ballard can’t. Fans have been tight every time.

The fact that you think fans are right every time shows you how divorced from reality you are.    

You don’t know what we tried to do to move up.    Fans don’t know the full story.   Don’t know what it would cost to move up.  Don’t know who would or would not be willing to move down.   Don’t know what Irsay is willing to spend.   And on and on. 

Remember, you were the poster who claimed Eberflus was the problem with our defense and things were going to get so much better with Bradley.   Sorry, but I don’t see things better with Bradley.   You might want to reconsider fans are always right. 

1 hour ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

And there is your 29 million Dollard transcendent guard. I wonder if the ink is still wet on that contract and can we use liquid paper to get rid of his signature. What a joke. Mail it in Nelson just like everyone  of Ballard's second contract signings.

The fact that you think fans are right every time shows you how divorced from reality you are.    

You don’t know what we tried to do to move up.    Fans don’t know the full story.   Don’t know what it would cost to move up.  Don’t know who would or would not be willing to move down.   Don’t know what Irsay is willing to spend.   And on and on. 

Remember, you were the poster who claimed Eberflus was the problem with our defense and things were going to get so much better with Bradley.   Sorry, but I don’t see things better with Bradley.   You might want to reconsider fans are always right. 

I am just talking obvious weaknesses. It’s happened every year and Ballard just laughs when questioned.

2 minutes ago, Shive said:

Agreed.  What we never recovered from was AC’s retirement.  And that is on Ballard.   I will say Nelson getting beat by Autry and whiffing on another play is unacceptable from him.  It’s like he’s only half trying, which makes me sad :(.

5 minutes ago, Shive said:

I said it in a different thread: it’s ridiculous to think that grown adult men regressed because a position coach left them. If they need that coach to help motivate them, there’s some big problems…

Our line has now aged. And they’re getting injured weekly. Most aren’t serious, but they’re nagging. Lots of back issues… 

Well the fact that after 5 years we have been playing with 5 different qbs tells me one thing. He didn't take the necessary steps to get his franchise qb. What ever that entailed, he didn't do it. We have heard Ballard defend his decision on not  drafting a qb. To me it came across as trying to protect his standing wirh the team. Saying the media would cruicfy him if he made the wrong decision. Who cares. He's a joke. 

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

I said it in a different thread: it’s ridiculous to think that grown adult men regressed because a position coach left them. If they need that coach to help motivate them, there’s some big problems…

Our line has now aged. And they’re getting injured weekly. Most aren’t serious, but they’re nagging. Lots of back issues… 

Our oline guys are still in their prime. 

30 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Well u don't have to worry anymore. Ballard and Reich are basically ally done with today's performance. Ballard hangs his hat on the trenches and its failure will lead to his demise. I do blame Frank for this. He fired the Oline coach. This Oline has never been the same. Nelson has never looked the same. They were banging heads back. Now they are back on their heels. I think Frank has lost the Oline. 

Do you know who else has fired our former O-Line coach?    Everyone.   Look him up.  He has been with every NFL or college stop in his career for one or two years.  Then he moves on.  He’s been fired, or not renewed everywhere he’s been.   Even Bill Belichick fired him. 

This year, he’s the OL coach at Boston College.   Last year he was at Louisiana Lafayette.    Before that, the NY Giants who didn’t bring him back.   We did what everyone else has done with the guy…..  quickly moved on from him. 

3 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I am just talking obvious weaknesses. It’s happened every year and Ballard just laughs when questioned.

I find Ballard to be pompous and arrogant. Always have and people said I didn't know what I was talking about. Look at all the successful teams and show me one built like the Colts or trying to be built Ballard's image.

I have been saying this for two years. Ballard didn’t look in the mirror and tested this team as if everything was the quarterback issue. I have said for two years blaming QB every year and not fixing other areas would bite  him.

Reich looked like he has come up the realization that Matt is a bad QB in his presser. You can say what you want about him but he never should of been put in the position where he had a new QB every year.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

He laughs because he knows how little the fans

He is below 500. I bet the odd fan hell. I bet a lot of fans could build a better  team than Ballard. I know I could . I have been on record for years with moves I would have done and  truly believe I would have done a better job. Laugh all u want but he is  below 500. How much worse could I do??

Yeah? And I should have picked different lottery numbers. You’re kind of reaching here, my friend. You can’t say for certain that even if we HAD done something to trade up that Herbert would even be there. 

And while you’re %ting on Q, just imagine how bad this line would be if he wasn’t here, and there was an average at best LG playing. 

Some of you think real life football is like Madden and you can just make any damn move you want. 

3 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Yeah? And I should have picked different lottery numbers. You’re kind of reaching here, my friend. You can’t say for certain that even if we HAD done something to trade up that Herbert would even be there. 

And while you’re %ting on Q, just imagine how bad this line would be if he wasn’t here, and there was an average at best LG playing. 

Some of you think real life football is like Madden and you can just make any damn move you want. 

All i know is you don’t trade the 13th pick when you don’t have a QB. That’s something maybe you do on draft day.  Two QB drafts after luck retired and your telling me he couldn’t find one.

Archived