Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why we lost? Our GM let this guy go for peanuts and paid our 20 million for this OL play.

Rhodelesstraveled

11 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

The thing I want to ask these people is......how does a new QB, with less experience than Ryan, fix our protection issues? How does it make our playcalling less predictable? And how does it make the countless swing pass and screen attempts, that never bear fruit, more effective?

To me the sequence that sums up the Colts offense from yesterday the best was where we complete that 40 yarder to Pierce. Next play, Hines up the gut for zero, despite not being able to run all day long......dumpoff to Hines for nothing.......3rd and long, lots of pressure meading to a sack, pushing us back even further. Miss the kick. 

We had them on their heels and let them off the hook by being overly conservative for no reason at all. That doesnt change as long as Reich is calliing the plays. You still have to be aware of what is working, what isnt and have a feel for how to call the game. I just dont see that with him.

Yep, true that on Frank, that is why it is far more overwhelming that Reich needs to go before Ballard. Reich is holding this team back more than Ballard, if we had to truly compare the greater of our issues objectively.

We'd have a Wentz like scrambling with OL issues but with better decision making and throwing with Herbert, at least based on their recent history. Look how well Herbert uses tall WRs, and leads them better. Wentz would constantly underthrow and we were lucky a lot of times with PI calls. You see Palmer, Mike Williams, so many guys led to the pass instead of having to come back to the pass, just observing that tells me we'd be sitting prettier with Herbert, hands down. Chargers' run D held them back for the last 2 years, and their OL issues the first year did. They've gone all in with their FA additions but Herbert, like Luck, has to learn to play smart and not get hurt. 

If you put Rivers, Matt Ryan and Herbert next to each other and ask me who will have the arm to thread the needle before a safety gets to a route down the sidelines for a WR with a step, it would be hands down Herbert. Herbert goes through his reads down to his 4th read pretty fast, and has the touch to take the "layups" too. A QB and good offense covers a LOT of blemishes, we all know with Peyton and Luck how much that is true. Even if we don't get Buckner for No.13 and get another 3-tech and develop, the value of moving up for a very good young QB would have trumped not getting a premier 3-tech and I don't think that is an argument at all in the current NFL.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah we at least we would have been in the AFC Title Game again taking on Mahomes and Frank's and Ballard's record would be much better.

The thing is, I dont think a .500 record is "bad". Because I remember the 80s and 90s. 

Its about expectation vs reality for me.

The Colts have underachieved 1 season under Reich and Chris Ballard. Once. Last year. 

They lived up to expectations with Luck.

They lived up to expectations with Brissett. I think we all expected a big dropoff when Luck retired, but we were still a descent team that was in the playoff hunt for most of the year.

They lived up to expectations with Rivers. Thats about where we expected them to be and they had a chance to win a road playoff game.

They lived up to expectations last year, until the last 2 weeks. Hard for me to blame Ballard for that. 

Which brings us to this year. People dont want to hear it but this isnt over yet. They could still finish strong and salvage the season. So we will see what happens.

2 hours ago, smittywerb said:

In this league, you have to though.  You either suck so bad that you can comfortably draft one (which is where we’re headed), or you trade up and go grab your qb.  Might have to give up the future but you have to.  You can’t win in this league without a qb.  That’s just the facts right now.  Worry about the rest of the team later, but go get your qb now.

the reason I doubt Ballard ability to find a QB is because he said no QB in that draft was worth it. But look who is doing well???

3 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

The lions and giants were open to trading that year which would have given us our choice of Tua or Herbert. would have been expensive but we wasted picks on carson and matt anyway 

could have taken hurts too

Its not just hindsight either, we talked about them all ton on this very forum before the draft

It's hindsight and it is lazy......it takes two to tango and none of us know what was being asked to do such a trade......

12 hours ago, Shive said:

Gug was the OL coach here for one season (2018) and our OL was just as good, if not better, in 2019 and if not for some injuries, about as good in 2020. Dude hasn't stayed with a team more that 1 season since he was with NE 2014-2015 and is currently OL coach at Louisiana Tech. This idea that Gug was some OL genius that we have never recovered from letting go is ridiculous, and yet I see it repeated here all the time.

Of course, this is obvious. Blaming the loss of the Oline coach is just a way to hang the regression of Q on Frank. 

I guess its tough for some to admit that a LG just isn't a game changer, and never was going to be the day he was drafted.  Know why?  Because he's a guard.

1 minute ago, Goatface Killah said:

The thing is, I dont think a .500 record is "bad". Because I remember the 80s and 90s. 

The Colts have underachieved 1 season under Reich and Chris Ballard. Once. Last year. 

They lived up to expectations with Brissett. I think we all expected a big dropoff when Luck retired, but we were still a descent team that was in the playoff hunt for most of the year.

They lived up to expectations with Rivers. Thats about where we expected them to be and they had a chance to win a road playoff game.

They lived up to expectations last year, until the last 2 weeks. Hard for me to bkame Ballard for that. 

Which brings us to this year. People dont want to hear it but this isnt over yet. They could still finish strong and salvage the season. So we will see what happens.

You are a lot like me because I have been a fan since 1984. I have seen bad, average, good, and great. Bad was from 1984-1986, 1987 was such a fun season but getting Dickerson was the ACE. The 1-15 season with Jeff George was awful. 1995 was rare but a very good season, we really got cheated out of an AFC Title win, Harbaugh brought us many great memories. Peyton years = great because we did get the 1 SB win + 89-23 from 2003-2009. Luck years I would say only good because of overall, 2012-2014 were very good though but still way better than half the league. Now it is just up and down. Rivers in 2020 was a good season, he was made for this team. 

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yep, true that on Frank, that is why it is far more overwhelming that Reich needs to go before Ballard. Reich is holding this team back more than Ballard, if we had to truly compare the greater of our issues objectively.

We'd have a Wentz like scrambling with OL issues but with better decision making and throwing with Herbert, at least based on their recent history. Look how well Herbert uses tall WRs, and leads them better. Wentz would constantly underthrow and we were lucky a lot of times with PI calls. You see Palmer, Mike Williams, so many guys led to the pass instead of having to come back to the pass, just observing that tells me we'd be sitting prettier with Herbert, hands down. Chargers' run D held them back for the last 2 years, and their OL issues the first year did. They've gone all in with their FA additions but Herbert, like Luck, has to learn to play smart and not get hurt. 

If you put Rivers, Matt Ryan and Herbert next to each other and ask me who will have the arm to thread the needle before a safety gets to a route down the sidelines for a WR with a step, it would be hands down Herbert. 

Hey I love Justin Herbert and I liked him in the draft. I saw a super athletic kid with a canon and thought "whats not to like". 

So yeah I would love to have a guy like that.

On Coach Reich, dont even mind Frank at all if he just does 2 things. Bring in an innovative OC who can tweak his system and call the plays and stop gambling so much on 4th down. I just dont think he has the instincts for those 2 things.

2 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Saying with the Hindsight, Colts could've drafted Jalen Hurts instead of Pittman in 2020 draft, they had two picks prior to the QB getting drafted, but they needed to have understood the QB's ability like the Eagles did. 

Safe to say most teams passed on him, and some twice. 

It's all about the QB evaluation of the GM and his staff. First of all, they should have the Innate ability to see a franchise QB in the draft process. Then, you've got to find a way to draft him. And, put him in right situation by making him sit and learn while having an above average OL like Hurts has had, so that the QB starts to believe in the team around him and his pass protection and is free to display his traits and show what he could do to the world. 

And a lot of people did not want him......too small.....injury issues......etc.......etc.  Again, when Pittman was drafted everyone applauded the choice and I don't recall a lot of people pounding the pulpit for Hurts?????

Hindsight is still 20/20 and to bash Ballard because he, among 31 other GM's passed on him. Are you upset that 31 GM's passed on Tom Brady the year he was drafted, including the Colts? Can't live life in the rear view mirror....

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

And the past three years?

I’ll wait……

Where Are You Waiting GIF by ALLBLK

Name one free agent QB that switched teams that is a Franchise QB?

Name one trade that could have been realistic for the Colts to make that would have landed them a Franchise QB?

Name one draft pick that is a Franchise QB in the last three years that we had a realistic chance of drafting?

You can't and I have spelled this stuff out for you hindsight GM's several times.....

1 hour ago, IrsaysArmy said:

The topic of the thread answers you. 2020 was a golden opportunity to atleast try. We could’ve traded 2021  1st and maybe a mid rounder to move up and grab Herbert. 

Again......what makes you think they did not try? It takes two to tango bud!

13 hours ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

they gave up a draft pick #13 if memory serves me

I'd rather have Chargers QB than Buckner right now. 

Preferring Herbert over Buckner doesn’t make you some insightful genius.  EVERYONE would prefer Herbert.  

But that wasn’t the choice we made.   Herbert went 6th.   We gave up the 13th pick for Buckner.   You don’t know what it would have cost to move up?   You don’t know what efforts it would’ve taken?   You don’t know if there was a team willing to move down to 13?    

You’ve jumped to a number of conclusions that no one has the answer to. 

And Nelson is a very good pass blocker.   His stats say so every year. 

3 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Name one free agent QB that switched teams that is a Franchise QB?

Name one trade that could have been realistic for the Colts to make that would have landed them a Franchise QB?

Name one draft pick that is a Franchise QB in the last three years that we had a realistic chance of drafting?

You can't and I have spelled this stuff out for you hindsight GM's several times.....

Again......what makes you think they did not try? It takes two to tango bud!

Trying doesn’t get the job done in the NFL or really in any professional career. Have a sack and get it done 

11 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Could have gotten a 3-tech through the draft and kept pick No.13 in 2020, moved up and given another 1st rounder to get Herbert (the first rounder they gave up for Wentz eventually)?? To me, the QB trumps a 3-tech, even as good as Buckner might be, he does not impact every snap on D like the QB on O.

I am only saying that because you asked since 13 to 6 does sound realistic. However I don't know if there was someone on the other side to tango with for a move up. It is realistic only in draft position terms but there are too many things neither of us know.

13 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Of course, this is obvious. Blaming the loss of the Oline coach is just a way to hang the regression of Q on Frank. 

I guess its tough for some to admit that a LG just isn't a game changer, and never was going to be the day he was drafted.  Know why?  Because he's a guard.

I mean isnt this season proof that the OL is very important and youre entire idea of not putting resources into it is ridiculous and counterproductive?

Its amazing to watch you blame the OL for the struggles of the team while also diminishing their importance. Which is Ballards philosophy, that it starts up front. This season is actually proof that hes right about that. 

The OL play has very little to do with Quenton Nelson. He has still easily been our best lineman and the idea of getting rid of him doesnt fix the problem, which is the play of the OL.

You dont make any sense whatsoever. 

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Preferring Herbert over Buckner doesn’t make you some insightful genius.  EVERYONE would prefer Herbert.  

But that wasn’t the choice we made.   Herbert went 6th.   We gave up the 13th pick for Buckner.   You don’t know what it would have cost to move up?   You don’t know what efforts it would’ve taken?   You don’t know if there was a team willing to move down to 13?    

True on the bolded.

12 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

I mean isnt this season proof that the OL is very important and youre entire idea of not putting resources into it is ridiculous and counterproductive?

Its amazing to watch you blame the OL for the struggles of the team while also diminishing their importance. Which is Ballards philosophy, that it starts up front. This season is actually proof that hes right about that. 

The OL play has very little to do with Quenton Nelson. He has still easily been our best lineman and the idea of getting rid of him doesnt fix the problem, which is the play of the OL.

You dont make any sense whatsoever. 

Hmmmm.  Where did I say to not put resources into an oline?  Who said to get rid of him?

You seem to think that if you do NOT pay the LG the highest salary of any G, then it the equivalent of putting 0 resources into it? 

If its not the highest, then its none.  That seems to be the nonsensical conclusion you are drawing.

There has been this idea that Nelson is a transformational player.  Nope.  He is a G, so therefore he is not and never will be transformational....and smart people knew that the day he was drafted.    That doesn't mean he can't be your best olineman.

How come nobody is talking about JT's fumble? Thats what cost the Colts the game. (there as many reason in reality but they was on a game tying drive)

Yes Matts turnovers didn't help but the guys made up for it.  The interception was a freak deal. 

Yes Frank does get cute at times and usually at the wrong time, but they practice every play you see on the field. 

To have 3 turnovers to none for the titans and only lose by 7 is a game well played,

1 hour ago, Shive said:

It's easy to sit behind a computer screen with zero actual consequences for being wrong and go on about how we should throw a bunch of draft picks at trading up to get a QB in the top of the 1st round, the position with the highest bust rate drafted in the first round. Good GMs don't panic and trade up for someone they don't have strong belief in being a franchise QB.

We know how things unfolded and can nitpick every decision with the benefit of hindsight, but at that moment when the players are drafted, most of the QBs you've thrown out as possibilities were guys that had a number of question marks that played way better than anticipated. Herbert had a lot of questions about his ability outside of the notoriously simple scheme (for the QB at least) at Oregon. Based on previous Oregon QBs from that system that didn't fair well, that's a legitimate concern. I don't fault any team for not making a play to go get Herbert.

Players liking a coach doesn't mean he's that great of a coach, just because he's a "mean" guy and they play "mean". Gug was also a McDaniels holdover that reportedly didn't mesh well with the rest of the coaching staff. There's more to coaching than players liking you. Again, this OL has performed as well or better after Gug left, so I don't see him as the reason for the regression we've seen this year.

U listen to any good GM. They say a good D and O line has an edge. It is a very physical postion to play and u have be after  the guys. In essence, a good line coach is some what of a jerk.

20 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Could have gotten a 3-tech through the draft and kept pick No.13 in 2020, moved up and given another 1st rounder to get Herbert (the first rounder they gave up for Wentz eventually)?? To me, the QB trumps a 3-tech, even as good as Buckner might be, he does not impact every snap on D like the QB on O.

I am only saying that because you asked since 13 to 6 does sound realistic. However I don't know if there was someone on the other side to tango with for a move up. It is realistic only in draft position terms but there are too many things neither of us know.

Another thing is giants and lions would of just called up chargers and said want to move up. So the chance of moving up was slim. But that doesn’t negate that Ballard traded that 13th pick before the draft even happened. So sure seems like he didn’t try.

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Hmmmm.  Where did I say to not put resources into an oline?  Who said to get rid of him?

You seem to think that if you do NOT pay the LG the highest salary of any G, then it the equivalent of putting 0 resources into it? 

If its not the highest, then its none.  That seems to be the nonsensical conclusion you are drawing.

Your suggestion doesnt improve the line. Which has been the achilles heel of the team so far. And you blame the best lineman and the choice to invest in him for that.

THAT is nonsensical. What you pointed out in my post was just a little hyperbole.

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He was 13th last yr and he is being paid as the best.  so your wrong on that.  He is now not even in the top 25 of OG at pass blocking.  Your perception does not meet reality.  

1 hour ago, Goatface Killah said:

The Lions have been historically bad. Like 3 wins a year bad, more times than not.

The Colts are nowhere near the Lions.

I know that. My point is that just because someone is a GM doesn't mean they know what they're doing.  Often times fans see glaring holes in a team that GMs either don't see, or can't find a way to fix them.

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Another thing is giants and lions would of just called up chargers and said want to move up. So the chance of moving up was slim. But that doesn’t negate that Ballard traded that 13th pick before the draft even happened. So sure seems like he didn’t try.

Because at the time, the Colts were viewed as a contender who were possibly a QB away and he chose the combination of Rivers and Buckner to add to that.

It would have cost a ton to move up for Herbert. 

2 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

He was 13th last yr and he is being paid as the best.  so you’re  wrong on that.  He is now not even in the top 25 of OG at pass blocking.  Your perception does not meet reality.  

Q was 13th last year when he was hurt or ill for most of the season.   Of course you either know that and are ignoring it,  or you don’t know it but you should.   As for this year, the entire line is not performing well.   Q is the least of our problems there.   

I think it’s you who has the perception problem. 

9 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

Your suggestion doesnt improve the line. Which has been the achilles heel of the team sonfar. And you blame the best lineman and the choice to invest in him for that.

THAT is nonsensical. What you pointed out in my post was just a little hyperbole.

No.  I'm not blaming the choice to invest in Nelson as being the reason for the poor oline play.  I'm saying that the investment does nothing when 3 or 4 other lineman play poorly.   The investment can become irrelevant pretty quickly.  The investment is not now, or back when he was drafted, worthy of a lot of hype or euphoria.  Why not?  Because he's a G, that's why. 

You need at least 2 other positions on the oline to play well even if you have the best all time G...and one of them better be the LT.

6 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

He was 13th last yr and he is being paid as the best.  so your wrong on that.  He is now not even in the top 25 of OG at pass blocking.  Your perception does not meet reality.  

Ranked on what PFF?

Is this the same people who have Devin White ranked as one of the worst inside LBs in football while hes the reigning NFC defensive player of the month? 

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

No.  I'm not blaming the choice to invest in Nelson as being the reason for the poor oline play.  I'm saying that the investment does nothing when 3 or 4 other lineman play poorly.   The investment can become irrelevant pretty quickly.  The investment is not now, or back when he was drafted, worthy of a lot of hype or euphoria.  Why not?  Because he's a G, that's why.  And you need at least 2 other positions on the oline to play well even if you have the best all time G.

No you need all 5 to play well.

Not worth "euphoria"? Huh? 

He has been great for us. Not sure what else to say about it.

I might make a separate topic on the QB thing. We need to have serious discussions on Ballard not addressing the position. I think it’s an interesting topic because for some reason there are people who really seem to think trading up for a QB in 2020 was impossible and that anyone saying otherwise is just using hindsight. I disagree however but I’d like to use some historical facts and data to lay it out. But I’d also like to hear detailed descriptions as to why some people really thought it was impossible. We could also talk about 2021 and 2022 as well.

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

I might make a separate topic on the QB thing. We need to have serious discussions on Ballard not addressing the position. I think it’s an interesting topic because for some reason there are people who really seem to think trading up for a QB in 2020 was impossible and that anyone saying otherwise is just using hindsight. I disagree however but I’d like to use some historical facts and data to lay it out. But I’d also like to hear detailed descriptions as to why some people really thought it was impossible. We could also talk about 2021 and 2022 as well.

Nobody said it was impossible. 

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t understand the question?   I just wrote that I don’t think Frank is back next year and the odds for Ballard are maybe 50-50.    I haven’t defended either Reich or Ballard since the debacle against Jacksonville.   I said the game vs KC felt like the Chiefs lost it far more than the Colts won it.   Then todays mess.   

Of course I don’t think we’re heading in the right direction.   I think that’s pretty obvious.   

Where it gets really hard is how we fix it?   That might setback the program somewhere between 2-4 years while a new GM and a new HC try to fix all the problems.   In short, if not handled properly things could easily get worse before they get better. 

Remember...."It's a marathon... not a sprint"

No you need all 5 to play well.

Not worth "euphoria"? Huh? 

He has been great for us. Not sure what else to say about it.

Right, all five matter.  Any one of them does not, except maybe the LT.

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Right, all five matter.  Any one of them does not, except maybe the LT.

Ok Doug. That makes no sense. The quality of the 5 individuals matters. So, having Nelson as 1 of the 5 gives us a better chance to field a good OL. 

Dont outsmart yourself here trying to be obtuse. 

26 minutes ago, kymd82222 said:

I know that. My point is that just because someone is a GM doesn't mean they know what they're doing.  Often times fans see glaring holes in a team that GMs either don't see, or can't find a way to fix them.

No, you can know what youre doing and still fail, because everyone at that level knows what they are doing. 

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

And a lot of people did not want him......too small.....injury issues......etc.......etc.  Again, when Pittman was drafted everyone applauded the choice and I don't recall a lot of people pounding the pulpit for Hurts?????

Hindsight is still 20/20 and to bash Ballard because he, among 31 other GM's passed on him. Are you upset that 31 GM's passed on Tom Brady the year he was drafted, including the Colts? Can't live life in the rear view mirror....

If you can’t use hindsight how in the h*** can you evaluate a draft?

Difference between Ballard and us is Ballard gets paid BIG money to evaluate talent make the right decisions.

1 hour ago, Goatface Killah said:

They lived up to expectations last year, until the last 2 weeks. Hard for me to blame Ballard for that. 

I mean that’s what Franks teams tend to do.  I will say if he doesn’t deliver on that this year I do think Irsay will pull the plug at least on Frank after this season.  With that said I don’t think it’s coming any sooner than the end of the season.

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Less resources? You ain't making no sense! Nelson just cashed a check for $35M! Unfortunately, Nelson shows no signs of being the Dominate player that he is being paid to be. Ouch! Kelly is wearing down. Smith moves more like a G than RT.
 Resources, that will soon be addressed in the draft one would think.
 Young, hungry, healthy, 1st contract.

Our 100 million dollar line backer is wearing down as well.

Taylor looks like hes ready to quit.  After his fumble yesterday he looked really discouraged.

Ok Doug. That makes no sense. The quakity of the 5 individuals matters. So, having Nelson as 1 of the 5 gives us a better chance to field a good OL. 

Dont outsmart yourself here trying to be obtuse. 

Yep.  but no one G of the five needs to be elite.     

Nelson can grade in the 80s all season long, and the sacks will go down and the ypc go up only when the LT, RG, C, and RT begin to grade better than they have.  Other teams' other olinemen get good grades without their teams spending $20 million on a G....why can't we?

Archived