Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why we lost? Our GM let this guy go for peanuts and paid our 20 million for this OL play.

Rhodelesstraveled

2 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Yeah? And I should have picked different lottery numbers. You’re kind of reaching here, my friend. You can’t say for certain that even if we HAD done something to trade up that Herbert would even be there. 

And while you’re %ting on Q, just imagine how bad this line would be if he wasn’t here, and there was an average at best LG playing. 

Some of you think real life football is like Madden and you can just make any damn move you want. 

The I told you so crowd in full effect today.. Lol

I think the band aid qb's are all boss mans doing. He's mentioned many times he doesn't want losing seasons (even if it ends that way) because people will stop showing up to games.

Guys like Matty and Rivers at least give you hope going into a season. I think Jim is the reason we don't truly bottom out. A constant rebuilding/retooling while trying to win approach. 

So I can't be all in against Ballard.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

He is below 500. I bet the odd fan hell. I bet a lot of fans could build a better  team than Ballard. I know I could . I have been on record for years with moves I would have done and  truly believe I would have done a better job. Laugh all u want but he is  below 500. How much worse could I do??

He’s not under 500.   Neither Irsay nor Ballard count 2017.   And anyone who does has an agenda and doesn’t understand football.   

And yes, you could do MUCH worse.   The worst GM in football in any given year knows more than any fan.    Sorry.    All your arm chair bravado doesn’t make it true.    Get a grip. 

5 minutes ago, IinD said:

The I told you so crowd in full effect today.. Lol

I think the band aid qb's are all boss mans doing. He's mentioned many times he doesn't want losing seasons (even if it ends that way) because people will stop showing up to games.

Guys like Matty and Rivers at least give you hope going into a season. I think Jim is the reason we don't truly bottom out. A constant rebuilding/retooling while trying to win approach. 

So I can't be all in against Ballard.

A young QB gives this team hope and excitement. Not washed up OLD QB. If that’s his thinking he is wrong.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I used to be a sports journalist, so I don’t say this lightly.   But even sports journalists only know a fraction of what a GM knows.   Even a bad GM knows more.  

We know very little on how much it takes to run an NFL franchise. Some one here might have an idea if they’re in sports administration, or running a Fortune 500 company… 

I can’t imagine the stress honestly. It’s all day every day, with practically no breaks even in the off-season. I studied sports admin in college for awhile, it’s a massive commitment. 

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He’s not under 500.   Neither Irsay nor Ballard count 2017.   And anyone who does has an agenda and doesn’t understand football.   

And yes, you could do MUCH worse.   The worst GM in football in any given year knows more than any fan.    Sorry.    All your arm chair bravado doesn’t make it true.    Get a grip. 

Okay. This is how u evaluate. U take someone's best score and worst and get rid of them. Now u add the others together and that's what u r let with. Doing that what did u come up with for average wins and losses per year??

5 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

All i know is you don’t trade the 13th pick when you don’t have a QB. That’s something maybe you do on draft day.  Two QB drafts after luck retired and you’re telling me he couldn’t find one.

Here’s the thing, and I’m not defending Ballard at all on this because I’ve went from being a fan to sick of him and Frank. Ballard COULD have got Brady/Rodgers/Stafford. Two obviously HoF quarterbacks and one who was a question mark because of the talent around him outside of Megatron. Ballard brought in guys he thought would push this team to the top, and all three guys he brought in have had bright moments, and I’m sure Ryan will still have a few good games. He gambled instead of the sure fire thing, and every gamble has bit him in the * outside of Rivers for the most part. It’s annoying and it sucks as a fan watching this team achieve mediocrity and nothing more year after year after year. Screwing up the Oline and now Taylor is injured and we have zero running game. 

11 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Okay. This is how u evaluate. U take someone's best score and worst and get rid of them. Now u add the others together and that's what u r let with. Doing that what did u come up with for average wins and losses per year??

Look….   You have your view and I have mine and right now the only thing we agree on is the Colts are having a terrible year.   Terrible. 

As of today, I think the odds of Reich returning are less than 50-50.   And the odds of Ballard returning are only slightly better.   But I wouldn’t be optimistic for either being back next year.   So you get to enjoy your moment in spotlight.   

On everything else, we should simply agree to disagree.   Best for everyone. 

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Look….   You have your view and I have mine and right now the only thing we agree on is the Colts are having a terrible year.   Terrible. 

As of today, I think the odds of Reich returning are less than 50-50.   And the odds of Ballard returning are only slightly better.   But I wouldn’t be optimistic for either being back next year.   So you get to enjoy your moment in spotlight.   

On everything else, we should simply agree to disagree.   Best for everyone. 

I respect u  but after 5 years of building can u honestly say u see this team heading in the right direction with the talent and coaching that has been assembled by Ballard?? Honest question.

7 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

The only thing I feel bad for Reich with is the revolving door at QB, hard to build something when you have to tear down and rebuild year after year. That’s on Ballard period. 

Yep. Reich has his flaws but it’s really unfair to him what has happened at QB. I really feel for him in that regard. Not saying it excuses not having the team playing harder but no coach should be put in that position.

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Yep. Reich has his flaws but it’s really unfair to him what has happened at QB. I really feel for him in that regard. Not saying it excuses not having the team playing harder but no coach should be put in that position.

He put his neck and got his guy last year. Sorry I am not fan of Reich and losing faith in Ballard but my simple question is why we have players that each games perform so well 2nd half compare to 1st half. Is it Ballard to be blamed or Reich? Or the players by Ballard are just slow starters. 

3 minutes ago, coltsfan_canada said:

He put his neck and got his guy last year. Sorry I am not fan of Reich and losing faith in Ballard but my simple question is why we have players that each games perform so well 2nd half compare to 1st half. Is it Ballard to be blamed or Reich? Or the players by Ballard are just slow starters. 

We would have been better off giving Wentz a second year to grow in this offense. Irsay didn’t give him that chanced because of a personal vendetta. He panicked. You can’t keep doing this at QB.

5 minutes ago, coltsfan_canada said:

How snort blaming everyone. Fans who just want yo blame one person are ridiculous. It’s everyone from Ballard, Irsay, and plsyers.

6 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I respect u  but after 5 years of building can u honestly say u see this team heading in the right direction with the talent and coaching that has been assembled by Ballard?? Honest question.

I don’t understand the question?   I just wrote that I don’t think Frank is back next year and the odds for Ballard are maybe 50-50.    I haven’t defended either Reich or Ballard since the debacle against Jacksonville.   I said the game vs KC felt like the Chiefs lost it far more than the Colts won it.   Then todays mess.   

Of course I don’t think we’re heading in the right direction.   I think that’s pretty obvious.   

Where it gets really hard is how we fix it?   That might setback the program somewhere between 2-4 years while a new GM and a new HC try to fix all the problems.   In short, if not handled properly things could easily get worse before they get better. 

3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

He is below 500. I bet the odd fan hell. I bet a lot of fans could build a better  team than Ballard. I know I could . I have been on record for years with moves I would have done and  truly believe I would have done a better job. Laugh all u want but he is  below 500. How much worse could I do??

You could do better than a professional that's been in the league since 1994...who happens to also have an Executive of the Year award....

Get a grip.

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The fact that you think fans are right every time shows you how divorced from reality you are.    

You don’t know what we tried to do to move up.    Fans don’t know the full story.   Don’t know what it would cost to move up.  Don’t know who would or would not be willing to move down.   Don’t know what Irsay is willing to spend.   And on and on. 

Remember, you were the poster who claimed Eberflus was the problem with our defense and things were going to get so much better with Bradley.   Sorry, but I don’t see things better with Bradley.   You might want to reconsider fans are always right. 

the defense isnt really the problem this year they are averaging around 21 points per game which is pretty good in todays nfl .   without all the 3 and outs and offensive turnovers leading to points the defense would be holding teams under 20 a game .    just having a offense that can stay on the field longer would help the defense out so much better .   this is a offensive problem from having a weak line and a average wr core .

8 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

And for all of you STILL yammering on about getting a Franchise QB……name one realistic scenario where he (Ballard) could have from the moment Luck retired one week before the season started…..  

I’ll wait….

jalen hurts  was taken in the second round after ballard took both pittman and taylor ..........   he looks really good and is 4-0    .   he is better  ryans right now and is improving and will keep getting better

8 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Sometimes i think fans no more then a bad GM. Every year fans and media point out weaknesses Ballard failed to fix. Every year we are right. Ballard just sits there and. Laughs when asked the questions which are valid. Why is it every year de can see a hole and Ballard can’t. Fans have been tight every time.

Well you’d first have to “know” which words to use. Then we can address football knowledge 

58 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

jalen hurts  was taken in the second round after ballard took both pittman and taylor ..........   he looks really good and is 4-0    .   he is better  ryans right now and is improving and will keep getting better

Yes he does. Sometimes you miss. Keep in mind that 32 teams passed on a young man 198 times combined before he was finally selected. That young man, turned out to be arguably one of the greatest QBs of all time. 

7 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Talent, yes I see the potential. 

Coaching: h e double hockey sticks NO! Our coaching staff sucks and that is on Ballard. 

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t understand the question?   I just wrote that I don’t think Frank is back next year and the odds for Ballard are maybe 50-50.    I haven’t defended either Reich or Ballard since the debacle against Jacksonville.   I said the game vs KC felt like the Chiefs lost it far more than the Colts won it.   Then todays mess.   

Of course I don’t think we’re heading in the right direction.   I think that’s pretty obvious.   

Where it gets really hard is how we fix it?   That might setback the program somewhere between 2-4 years while a new GM and a new HC try to fix all the problems.   In short, if not handled properly things could easily get worse before they get better. 

This is why I think you don’t totally blow it up. I think you keep Ballard, Fire Reich. Why? Cause it’s more the play calling than the talent if you ask me. I mean heck, even my untrained eyes can predict what the colts are going to do play wise. There’s no mixing it up. And the refusal to run no huddle which Ryan is more than capable of, is mind boggling. Wear the Defense out 

9 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:
10 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Yeah, you’re right and it takes two to tango…..hindsight is lazy too!

The lions and giants were open to trading that year which would have given us our choice of Tua or Herbert. would have been expensive but we wasted picks on carson and matt anyway 

could have taken hurts too

Its not just hindsight either, we talked about them all ton on this very forum before the draft

10 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

And for all of you STILL yammering on about getting a Franchise QB……name one realistic scenario where he (Ballard) could have from the moment Luck retired one week before the season started…..  

I’ll wait….

Saying with the Hindsight, Colts could've drafted Jalen Hurts instead of Pittman in 2020 draft, they had two picks prior to the QB getting drafted, but they needed to have understood the QB's ability like the Eagles did. 

Safe to say most teams passed on him, and some twice. 

It's all about the QB evaluation of the GM and his staff. First of all, they should have the Innate ability to see a franchise QB in the draft process. Then, you've got to find a way to draft him. And, put him in right situation by making him sit and learn while having an above average OL like Hurts has had, so that the QB starts to believe in the team around him and his pass protection and is free to display his traits and show what he could do to the world. 

Irsay:

Angry Get Out GIF by Bounce

Ballard:

robert downey jr 80s GIF

in all seriousness. My biggest problem with Ballard has been the lack of replacing guys that have shown to be what makes this team do well. Not replacing Castanzo or TY when the colts have shown to struggle without both of those guys is a big reason why the team has struggled on offense the last 2 years. 

I love Alec Pierce and Michael Pittman. They’re good WRs and have a lot of potential. But they were potential type of draft picks. And everyone knows it takes WRs a couple years. 

not replacing jack Doyle combined with no OT is crazy to me when most of JTs big runs came off of a Jack Doyle block. 

ballrd drafts guys with the hope they will be good in a year or 2, which is fine, but I didn’t see much of any replacement. MOC is not a Jack Doyle replacement. He’s just not. There are moments in football where you have to get a proven vet and Ballard refuses in an effort to do so more often than not. 

this leads me to believe the front office knows this team isn’t there yet, and Irsay is trying to line his pockets in the years that the Colts are in likelihood not going to do well, by saying things like “all in”. He’s the rah-rah owner trying to get fans to buy tickets in a down year or two. 

when the team gets an elite QB, you don’t have to say %, tickets just sell because you can win games. The team sells itself at that point. 

jmo. But Ballard has never once said this is a SB roster. 

11 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

I think he is saying we should have traded up in that draft and got Herbert. I agree but hindsight is 20/20. We all know paying a fortune to move to the top of the first round is something Ballard would never do.

In this league, you have to though.  You either suck so bad that you can comfortably draft one (which is where we’re headed), or you trade up and go grab your qb.  Might have to give up the future but you have to.  You can’t win in this league without a qb.  That’s just the facts right now.  Worry about the rest of the team later, but go get your qb now.

So this teams biggest issue is OL play and we have a large group of fans who want to put less resources into the OL?

That makes no sense what so ever.

Quenton Nelson isnt even making 20m yet, so thats not the issue either. 

The guys we have need to play up to their capabilities and we need to look for someone else to add to the mix. Everything else on offense is fine. 

12 hours ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

they gave up a draft pick #13 if memory serves me

I'd rather have Chargers QB than Buckner right now. 

So out of every player in the draft, Ballard was supposed to know that Herbert would be a franchise a QB and not only that would have had to trade up to get him, way up. Man you keeping digging holes with some of your posts not even this guy could burst out of it angry homer simpson GIF- so what about the other 19 GM's that picked after Ballard, I guess they should have just known - man that Herbert guy is the man so lets trade picks for him to move up. Why did 5 teams pass on Herbert that year as well? Hindsight is fabulous isn't it. lmao 

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

So out of every player in the draft, Ballard was supposed to know that Herbert would be a franchise a QB and not only that would have had to trade up to get him, way up. Man you keeping digging holes with some of your posts not even this guy could burst out of it angry homer simpson GIF- so what about the other 19 GM's that picked after Ballard, I guess they should have just known - man that Herbert guy is the man so lets trade picks for him to move up. Why did 5 teams pass on Herbert that year as well? Hindsight is fabulous isn't it. lmao 

did you not like herbert?  I thought he could be good, his attitude seemed a little weird but i liked his traits

I thought Tua would be good too, but im an Alabama fan.   He had a pretty unique scouting profile but hes accurate and good at reading the field 

2 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

did you not like herbert?  I thought he could be good, his attitude seemed a little weird but i liked his traits

I thought Tua would be good too, but im an Alabama fan.   He had a pretty unique scouting profile but hes accurate and good at reading the field 

not the point, how was Ballard supposed to know that 1 player in a whole draft would be as good as he is. It is not like Ballard passed on him. He was taken 6th. Had Ballard passed on him and took a stiff than @Rhodelesstraveledwould have a point. What about the other 5 GM's that actually passed on Herbert lmao 

11 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I’ll wait….

And the past three years?

I’ll wait……

Where Are You Waiting GIF by ALLBLK

3 hours ago, coming on strong said:

He's also in the right scheme for his playstyle and abilities, and has a talented supporting cast around. Not to mention their line is blocking and protecting. It makes a big difference. 

Archived